Delete The Religion Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (91 posts)
  1. profile image53
    RealityCheck2010posted 14 years ago

Atheist vs. Christian, Muslim vs. Christian, Lakers vs. the Rams, seriously, what is all the fuss about?  I think they ought to just delete the religion forum as all people do is fight on here like cats and dogs.

1. profile image49
      The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't like religious arguments.  So you want out of your way to wade into the middle of a religious argument to complain about religious arguments.

Even here, you're not going to be able to trick anyone into thinking you're clever.

To put that in context... we got folks here who when someone says, "There's going to be a storm at some point in the future," they think that demonstrates the power of prophecy.

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should check your reality!
      Something wrong there.

1. profile image53
        RealityCheck2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never claimed to be completely in reality dear!  Just a screenname, and I always thought it was a cool expression smile.  I just think all the arguments about religion are boring.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then why caint ya turn away from it?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
            Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps what should be changed is the central posts...

Instead of having all threads just posted being sent to the centrlized area containing all thread posts, they should only be sent to a centralized posting of that topic area...

That way someone in the forum of 'science' would only see posted threads in the 'science' forum... and the threads posted in the extreme makeover section/forum would only be seen there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's kind of how it used to be.  It's only since the change of format in the front page of the forums that all this trouble has started.

I'd really like to see the "latest posts" section split in two, just like the forums themselves - so you'd see "latest posts" for all the Hub related threads, then a separate "latest posts" for the By Topic threads.

2. tantrum profile image60

So you want them deleted ?
          and what about freedom?
          Who are you ?

3. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i've never understood people who want something banned or deleted just because they "are sick of" or "bored to tears with" it.

just don't read it. i mean, is it really going to kill you to see those forums in the list, even?

the best way to move through worlds you don't like is either to adapt to them or stay away from them instead of expecting them to change for YOU.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's about time you posted a real picture of yourself as your avatar tongue

1. profile image0

haha my first unreal one! smile

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image62

One day I am going to confess that I really *am* the current Governor of California, posting on this thing... just not yet...

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image62

What is a Laker roll

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now now.
      That would be discrimination.

Unless of course they deleted the atheist forum and the sex-talk forum and the political forum and any/all forums that could be deemed offensive.

Heck, why not just delete the whole discussion forum, period?!
      That'd take care of all the arguments! wink

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Gamergirl has actually said that and she is the one who asked for it.

1. profile image53

She is a smart girl!

3. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

really?

hmm

and you only joined 83 minutes ago too.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Battle of the sockpuppets, round one

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I often wonder how many people would be left on here if all of the sock puppets were suddenly RAPTURED up to meet the Lord?
    Or went to the other place?  lol

1. profile image0

big_smile lol

I caint wait,  Heaven on HP

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...or if all the religious nuts suddenly came to their senses!

Even if that were to happen,  I wonder how many sock puppets there are compared to People?

1. Jane@CM profile image59
          Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would hope there are more people, but I think there are more puppets and people really really like to feed the puppets lol If they only knew, puppets can't eat.

6. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Ahh, Jesus!  Oh, sorry.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

2. Jerami profile image58

That is about what I figured

3. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And they are all disciples lol

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

No, leave them on. They are a source of amusement between hubs and other online work. smile

9. profile image53

Why are people so serious here?  Really it was just a suggestion. I don't expect the site to follow my wishes, it was just an observation.  I actually left Beliefnet because I got tired of reading that type of thing!  No need to jump down someone's throat just because they have a different idea about things smile.

1. tantrum profile image60

Delete the religion threads.

that more than an idea is like an order.
      and no one is jumping at your throat.
      As I said before, check your reality
      lol

1. profile image53

If I were realistic I would not be hanging out on an internet forum.  No one who does is really in touch with "reality," and who defines reality anyhow?

Is that supposed to be smart ? hmm

Don't you know how to define reality? Really ?

No. I think you don't, if you say that hanging  out on internet it's not realistic.

Check again what reality means. Google it !
          lol

1. profile image53

The Internet is called "virtual reality" for a reason.  You seem really hostile and angry about something, and I really have no problems with you.  Why are you so mad at me smile.

lol
              I'm not mad !
              Check your reality !
              lol

2. PB_Smith profile image59
          PB_Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everyone defines reality. We all exist for the most part in what is known as a "consensus reality". We all agree that a certain wavelength of light is blue and another one is red, for example. We all make these agreements everyday otherwise it would not be possible to co-exist in the manner in which we do.

Part of growing and learning in infancy is sorting out what things, experiences, states of conciousness and phenomena are excepted parts of this consensual reality. That consensus can and does change over time and through discovery.

10. profile image0

personally i don't find Governor Schwarzawhatshisname attractive in the slightest. too beefy yikes

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He's less beefy these days...more poppin' fresh doughy

1. profile image0

big_smile

some of the cutest Poppin' Fresh cartoons are from Off The Mark. i can't post any here but they are great!

1. profile image53

Why can't you post them here?  I want to see sad

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image62

Hey wait, was that really your back? How the hell did you take that pic... are you a contortionist (a guy's gotta hope roll)

1. profile image0

oh wait, i forgot, i used a Juliet avatar for a day or so. no i'm not a contortionist, but that's ok - i'm fully poseable

oh, RC, i can't post Poppin' Fresh here because the cartoonist forbids it. you can visit his site though and just type 'poppin fresh' in its search box.

11. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

hay7 tant

hey ! How R U ? smile

12. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

good ty see my new pic ?lol

you look great !! tongue

13. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

this aint virtual . its real

14. profile image53

Chat rooms are virtual reality because people get highly worked up about things written in here, but in reality this is all small stuff.  People get upset over nothing, and start fights with people who have no wish to argue.  If you cannot touch me, it is not 100% reality!

Again!
      Check your reality!

Or don't tell me you're under age ! yikes

lol

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please define what you call reality and how are you checking it? smile

15. profile image0

no it wouldn't. people actually follow people to their hubs.

it's crazy!

1. profile image0

Oh yeah, that's true.
      I had a woman argue religion with me on one of my hubs, while posting a link to HER hub in my comment section......

16. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

people are crazy...in general. smile

17. profile image0

weird huh?

18. profile image53

No not weird, what is weird is people have no respect for differing opinions here.  Once again I said several times I am not going to alter your site, I do not own it you know smile.  The personal attack stuff is kind of weird because I did not call any of you names, but you are all jumping in to flay me alive.  Anyway, no worries, I would never venture into your precious religion thread.  When I was a kid I learned to say to people well I do not agree, but I respect your opinion.  It is really as simple as that LOL.

1. profile image0

"flay"? really?

sorry...i thought you were someone's sock puppet. since you seem so sincere i will give you the benefit of the doubt. sorry about that. sooo welcome to HubPages! big_smile

19. profile image53

Well sincerely it is just my opinion.  Saw some ugly stuff go down on beliefnet before I left that site.  Thanks for the nice message cossette smile.

20. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

Reality ~ People tend to argue faster than they will ever agree. I think it is just human nature. And sad to say, it is very easy for people to 'hide behind their words' or hide behind text...to say things they wouldn't say face to face. I think that's why people do it (and in an odd, sick way...enjoy it!)

hmm

1. profile image0

really? never heard of that place. there's ugly all over the worldwide web, actually. this place is pretty nice in comparison.

i am pretty candid i think, and freely express myself here and in real life, and i don't think i am any different. the people who 'hide behind their words' are the ones who swear at people and threaten them, IMO. as far as people tending to argue faster, if someone pokes me, i ignore them, and i do that in real life too.

21. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I agree though because of the religion thread no one goes on other forums and TALK nicely to one another. All it is is forums about religion with people fighting. It's annoying in my opinion. I start a forum just to talk and hardly ANYONE goes on there to just talk nicely. roll

22. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 14 years ago

I was always told to avoid talking about three things when in engaged in a conversation with someone: religion, politics and money. Keep those thoughts on  those three subjects to yourself and everyone will get along just fine.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the Big three...ehh, I tend to crash into them head-on when meeting someone. My theory on that is...if you can get through THAT conversation, then you can talk about anything. And if you can't talk about everything, then why the hell would I want to talk to you in the first place? smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

Then you don't have much to talk about, because each of those is related to everything in life we know? So, you don't talk much is what you're saying? If so, thanks for your input. smile

23. melpor profile image89

These are the three subjects that lead to arguments in the first place. These are sensitive subjects to the vast majority of people in the world. You see this happening all the time.

Oh, I agree with you 100 percent...people are sensitive about those particular topics and it does start arguments. I think it is ridiculous but true.

I disagree with avoiding the topics altogether. I'm not going to bypass a topic because people are sensitive about it. (shrugs) If that's the case, should we really talk about anything? I'm sure there are other topics people are more sensitive about. So, how do we know what to talk about?...Heck, lets just do hand gestures, smile and be on our merry way!

So, noooo...I disagree here. I respect and understand your outlook on it, but I'm firmly against it.

24. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The religion forum world be just fine as long as the rest of you knuckleheads learn to behave!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Knock-knock lol

2. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

25. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

This isn't meant to be rude

If you want to avoid discussing religion, avoid the forums in the "Religion and Beliefs" category.
    There is no reason to delete it. Just don't go there. smile

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whats wrong with you! We want a reason to fight as much as the weaker sex wants us to stop!

1. profile image0

Just teasing!big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image70

I know big_smile big_smile

2. wyanjen profile image70

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent080.gif

1. profile image0

That was great!:LOL

26. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Actually, I think it's healthy to talk about politics, religion and money. The problem to me is the territorialism, and the ever-present potential that such conversations will somehow threaten a person's beliefs or values system. If we could get past those egotistical things, there are some very poignant and relevant thoughts on all these subjects in the forums.

I agree completely.
      There are quite a few forums started by folks who want to shout an opinion without discussing it.

But, I've seen many forums where the OP has requested that folks be respectful, no trolls, no hijacking. And people respect that. smile

27. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

To assess deletion of the religion thread is absurd. The forums are a place for open conversations. If you do not like the thread or it's tone, then leave or say something?

You have two choices you can participate or not. The choice is left up to you.

You have thousands of other choices when it comes to threads, and you can even make a thread yourself.

Just a thought? smile

1. Milla Mahno profile image60
      Milla Mahnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't discussing a sock puppet troll bait an absurd, too? wink

1. Cagsil profile image70

That's an assumption that shouldn't be made, until proof can be obtained.

Calling people sockpuppet or anything else, other than what their screenname is is out of the question.

The word "troll" shouldn't be used, to label other people's actions. Some people speak up when they feel like it and some are just extremely rude, when they do speak up.

Sometimes, the religious threads can and do have good conversations going on in them, but then two others hijack the thread in using insanity to confuse the discussion. The thread starts moving faster and it gets more difficult to follow along.

These people are damaging the good use the forums can be used for, which is civilized discussions. Insults in and of themselves are subjective to oneself's bias. If you think you've been insulted, get over it and move on. They are only written words on a computer screen.

It reminds me of the one thing my parents taught me- stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

If you get insulted or feel insulted, re-evaluate yourself. Words do NO harm. They are just letters? When spoken- just sound? smile

Just a thought? smile

1. TLMinut profile image60
          TLMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For an hour or so a couple of days ago, I actually wondered if there is power in words, literal power in literal words. Of course, it's the intention and attitude behind the words that actually matters. Words CAN hurt, emotions count, but we have to remember to always act, not react.

My granddaughter did something mean to her brother, my first inclination was to okay it for him to be mean back. Ridiculous. That's not him, HE'S not a mean child and all that would teach is revenge and to act according to others' actions instead of his own true self.

2. profile image0

I think I hear an echo echo echo of something.

I do. I do.

It's Obama saying "Don't tell me words don't matter!"
          To him, they don't....as long as it's not words directed toward HIM....

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How did your hate for your President get to be relative? lol

28. melpor profile image89

You are absolutely right. People sometimes see these topics as something they own or it is a private matter that should not be discussed with someone else.

hmmm, you sound like my mother. And believe me, that is a compliment. I love her dearly, but it's a total 'old school' way of thinking. If someone wants to 'spill out' their private matters, then why is that wrong? To harbor your feelings and keep such matters to yourself because you're afraid of how it may offend others is...chaotic.

They are only personal matters because 'you' make them personal matters.

29. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

1) If you don't like it, and it's not breaking any rules, avoid it.

2) Sockpuppets suck.

suckpuppets

30. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 14 years ago

Maaaan, you are boring LOL. It's clearly a sock puppet, and me being insulted by this? They need to put up way more effort to insult me lol

haha, Milla, on the boring bit... smile

31. profile image53

Sorry everyone is so mad about my suggestion.  I sure won't happen again smile.

32. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

.....Yea and  delete the Political thread cuz Obama's the man smile lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)