Would you ever?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (71 posts)
  1. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

My roommate has been obsessed with online dating recently. She insists with school and work its impossible to find people to date normally.
    Personally, never tried it. Whats your take on it? Would you every try online dating. Do you already do this? How has your experience been?

1. caravalhophoto profile image59
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a real fear about internet dating...not sure why.
      I like to look in their eyes and feel their soul...can't do that online.
      Personally I feel if you walk out your door and hold your head up rather than looking down...the right person will be found.
      Well, to each his own, internet dating has worked for many, hopefully your roommate will meet Mr.Right.

2. pinkboxer profile image61
      pinkboxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For me, internet dating is a symptom of our increasing tendency for social isolation. We move so fast in our lives that we don't have the time to develop relationships. Is this a fear? I don't think online dating is safe for anybody.

3. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No way.

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO, not in a jillion years!

5. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

never have, never will....the world is too scary

I have, however met many people online, and 1 or 2 good friends i will be meeting in person..I do talk to one on the phone daily and would be lost if they did not call me.....
      This is not a scary person, it is a guy, but he is not looking for any relationship, just a good friend...so we do have plans on meeting and hanging out soon.

6. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.

7. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been in the law enforcement business for almost 25 years now.  Online anything except the occasional purchase is not recommended no matter how good the commercials sound.

8. dredog03 profile image60
      dredog03posted 14 years agoin reply to this

online dating is becoming more and more common as meeting people in the workplace is becoming less common due to a variety of factors. i have several friends in happy relationships thanks to eharmony or christian cafe. eharmony is a very reputable online dating service that does indeed have real people looking for the same things you're looking for

2. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Awhile back I had tried it for a few months...you really don't know a person in real life after awhile which is bad enough, and online you definitely don't know that person.

I'd rather wait and meet people...of course when I have interest in dating again, hehe. xD

3. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

It's hard to say, honestly. I've played games where I had a "husband," but only in the RP games. I suppose liking someone just happens. I personally believe that once a person STOPS looking for love, love will find them on its own. But I guess it's all up to the person. Kind of a scary thing though...

4. yenajeon profile image71

I'm so glad yall kind of agree. I felt like maybe it was dangerous? Because after a while she would meet these people in person so...

5. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

online dating,tried it once ,but full of scammed and fraud star,so your friend should be careful

6. Madison22 profile image59
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

Although, I am not all together against online dating. I do feel that with confidence and a nice smile you can meet someone almost anywhere. At least that was my experience when I was dating and that is what caught my husband's attention he first saw me.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Online dating, tried, but then again, wasn't looking for a match, just testing the website's ability.

8. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image86
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

I'd try it. I'll do anything once, twice if I like it! wink

9. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I've never tried it, and currently have no use for it, but it would be fun to see if a dating site would even match my husband and I.  wink

On the other hand, my cousin met her current boyfriend through an on-line dating site, and it seems promising. And one of her close friends met her husband through an online site last year.

10. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

I have done it, my ex wife and I met online. Actually it wssn't alot different that dating in person and in fact the first 2 months we learned more about each other because all we had to do was talk either online or by phone. When you are face to face with someone other factors can come into play that may not give the same opportunity to really just talk like friends and learn about each other.

1. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100% on it's better to just have phone contact. I've done that. when all you hear is a voice you can learn a whole lot more. you learn the inflections of their voice and not having any physical stuff get in the way of your thinking you truly do concentrate on the important stuff.

also I agree it can be dangerous. Google DATING SCAMMERS. they are on every site. You will get info about what signs to look for. not all pics are real. most scammers hijack them from modeling sites.

11. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

very true, the internet is a whole different animal than it was when my ex wife and I met almost 10 years ago. Not nearly as many psycho wack jobs around then, atleast not ones that could use a computer and internet..lol

12. yenajeon profile image71

Aw that's cute for you and you're wife. You're probably right too that back then there were less 'psychos'.

13. profile image0
    SensuousWorldposted 14 years ago

I would be a bit leary of online dating services. I'm wondering why do people have to resort to that? Is it really so hard to meet someone these days or are we just getting to lazy to make the effort. It seems to work for some I guess? I would rather do it the old fashioned way. But hey, I've been married and off the market for along time so maybe I just don't know what its like out there in the dating world.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the U.S. meeting people use to take place through work, or work contacts (someone you work with has a friend). Because of sexual harrassment laws, this 'way to meet' has been eliminated and been replaced by internet dating, internet 'meeting' (the actual dating is still the same).

I tried it and found that some people think they can be the pretend persona they create in internet chat rooms and such, and your often faced with someone completely differrent than their descriptions of themselves when you do get around to meeting. The other problem is the international nature of the dating sites, i.e. you find a profile you really like only to discove they live in Tim-buk-two.

14. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

In the years gone by when we didn't have such things as computers and online dating, people met each other at places, like pubs, even there not safe these days.
    But, my point is it is much safer to go out with someone you meet personally, not on the net, where they can tell all sorts of things about themselves that may or may not be true.
    Take my advice, either go through a proper introduction agency, where you have the opportunity to be matched up with someone who has similar tastes to yourself, in likes and dislikes, or wait till you meet someone, but please don't do online dating it just is not worth the risk, it is far better knowing who you will be going to meet, rather than the other. Just think, our parents didn't need anything except good old fashion attraction to get them together, so why don't you start there. Good Luck  Beautybabe.

15. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Only if they provide a verifiable financial statement.

16. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Unlike many that have replied, I think online dating is great. I work at home, hate the bars and I am even a bit deaf. So online dating is fantastic for me!

If not for that I have no idea how I would meet anyone. However you can meet them in more places than just a real dating service. I have met ladies through myspace, facebook and forums also.

You can talk to them, get to know them and slowly start giving them some idea of who you are and your personal info. However on a first date you ALWAYS meet them at a public place.

Meet at a mall, restaurant, coffee shop, theme park, whatever. Also if you meet someone on a dating site you KNOW they are looking and ready for dating.

I have met so many in person that I was attracted to but did not know just how much they wanted, or if they were ready for a real one on one relationship.

With online you tell them upfront what your looking for and they do the same. So you by-pass all the guessing and blind leads. Again however, meet them for the first time in public, and before giving out and phone numbers, emails or addresses. smile

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I've heard fairy tale romances, horror stories, and everything in between!

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the horror stories out stand the worse horror movies. lol
      a lot of psychos and weird characters.

18. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

My husband and I met online through yahoo personals. My profile was up for about 8 months and recieved about 2800 email responses. All said, I emailed with 5. I had phone contact with 3. Met 1 in person. That was 4 years ago. We have been married for 3+ years now - happily smile
      Be very careful with online dating. Be direct and safe. It can work. smile Holly

19. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I've never actively looked for someone online like in the dating sites and things, but I have dated someone online that I met in Myspace Poker. I actually feel that we got to know each other much better in a much shorter time than we would have in person, because if we were to spend time together we had to talk, whereas in person there would have been physical distractions. Granted, it probably helps that both he and I are very open and honest people, so we each really got to know the other person.

Do I think it's a good thing? Well, we talked over the internet for about six months, he's lived here for the last nine months, and we're getting married the day after tomorrow. Yeah, it worked, I've never been happier in my life.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wychick, Congrats on the marriage!  Like I always say, one never knows what the future may bring.. I mean, online poker?  I would have never thought of that as being a place to meet someone.. That's just awesome though!  Congrats again!  You'll have to tell us all about the wedding! big_smile

1. wychic profile image84
        wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks big_smile. Yeah, neither did we, we were both just killing time...got on that Dragon Wars app and there was this Sword of 10,000 souls thing one could get by playing Texas Hold 'Em and getting enough chips. I thought, "Hey, I like poker, why not?" Then discovered they had a chat function and people who were on there at all hours of the day or night tongue. Even after that, he's considerably older than me so we knew we enjoyed each other's company, but didn't think anything would happen beyond that...hehehe, funny how that sneaks up on people smile.

The wedding won't be a big thing right now, true hick style with everyone congregating in the conference room at a lawyer's office, who also happens to be a magistrate, then re-convene at the local Chinese restaurant. The ceremony will be when it's warm...and yeah, that'll be pretty hick too, but at least I do intend to wear a dress, I just have to change before the barbecue/reception tongue.

20. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

of course you never know what will happen in your life by day, week, month , year, or decade...

I guess anything is or could be possible..

If your going to date online, become friends first and be friends for a long time...then if you decide you both want to date..go for it if it makes you happy

21. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

The thing with online dating - it's a tool, just like anything else.  It is what it is.. I've had success using it, but I didn't go in with the expectation that it was going to work - I was really just bored and looking for friends.  Really, it's no different than going out to a cafe or club - you have to be careful no matter what.

22. yenajeon profile image71

I know I would never do it but, I could see where busy busy people would want to go that route. Especially with note of work/dating laws but
    MikelG- its probably true that the person would be like in the middle of nowhere.

23. profile image53
    probafixposted 14 years ago

no

I did not do the online dating neither i will do it in future probably.

Because you don`t know how the person will be in persons whom you know online.

but sometimes it differs.

24. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

and a medical certificate clearing all std diseases.

25. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

you know, as a young stupid girl i did my share of, well, stupid things via the internet. its probably safe to say i'm lucky to be alive with all the horror stories we hear on the news everyday.
    internet dating should be done responsibly, yes.
    but is it sucessful? in my experience more so than having met someone through a friend or at a party, face-to-face.
    i'm still great friends with the two gentlemen, which is more than i can say for any of my other ex's. smile

i think its like normal dating, some people have good experiences and some have bad and then they like to generalize and assume their experiences are the rule. big_smile

That sounds about right smile. I know when I met my husband (k, will be tomorrow) everyone kept telling me how I didn't really "know" him and refused to consider me as even having met him until he moved here! Yes, I even stooped to telling my mother that she met both of her husbands in person, how did that work out for her? On the same token, my sister and I met our first husbands in person and had some really horrible experiences...whereas we are both now happily settled down with people we met online. Personally, I do trust people's voices and text communication (especially when I can also see how they interact with other people in text) more than most other types of communication, some of the worst charmers are the ones who know how to lie with their eyes and who can distract you with sweet, tender kisses whenever they feel they're in danger of being unable to hide.

26. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

wychic, you have just blown the cover of many men and women....not me though...look into my eyes....look into my eyes......your eyes are like the stars at night...your hair like the sweet meadow breeze....your hands soft and gentle....your heart beating like the most poetic drum.....

Lol, I'm sure you're every bit as trustworthy as Kaa wink...okay, maybe not you particularly, but the general "men" because it really is hard to find the person for whom the other is exceptional.

27. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

I'm quite positive about internet dating. It's just another way to meet people (and exclude the ones that obviously do not match you), everything else stays about the same - you still have to meet in person, you still have to "click", etc.

I think it works if you know what you're looking for and if your selection criteria are somewhat distinctive, e.g. I want someone taller than 6ft4in, and that is a must - internet sites do a perfect job here wink and I have to do the rest.

There are lots of very different people online - both very nice ones, and idiots. Just like in real life.

28. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

It really isn't my thing.

I've had a couple of friends who did, one had sex the first time she met him in person, then the never saw each other again and the other just flirted with them online, met up with one but it never turned into anything.

Being the perpetual singleton in my circle, they've been trying to get me to sign up for the past year and a half...they've given up now.

I'd rather it happen spontaneously in person.

29. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Can be the same in real person: the mask can come off and the character is revealed.

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure. Why not. I like meeting new people and if it doesn't turn romantic you could make a good friend.

30. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

Online dating is the ultimate scam. It simply doesn't work for men.

Men want 'young' and 'slim'. Online dating offers them 'fat' and 'old'.

The crimes that are being repeatedly committed against men in the online dating world are obscene.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It goes both ways. hmm

2. Black Lilly profile image60
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh gosh, new year but same old song...

3. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wait, are the crimes you speak of men finding out the hottie they talk to online is they're great-grannie's bff bertha??? what a crime. LOL

i think online dating is like anything else in the adult world, to be used responsibly and carefully. everyone will have different experiences, including tragically ended ones. then again there are plenty of instances where things end tragically and the internet isn't to blame. its just another tool. completely neutral. smile

1. profile image0
        Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But it isn't completely neutral, this is where you are wrong.

There is a heavy bias at work which favours females over males. In life,  couples of equal attractiveness tend to pair up. The same should be true of online dating, but it is not. Young, slender females typically do not join dating websites, believing themselves to be 'too good' and more 'worthy'. Sadly, these females fail to understand that one day they too will be old and undesirable. Men don't share the same values of aloofness when it comes to online dating. As far as they're concerned, anything goes! This creates an imbalance in the looks of the potential online daters with men typically scoring higher than the old, beat up females. This scenario is wonderful for the chubby and facially unappealing females but a disaster for men.

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same gets done to women too.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I said something like that. lol lol

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I did the online dating stuff it was an eye opener. The percentage of guys who emailed me I could count a dozen or less that were honest about their appearance. My photo was face only and my profile modest. I was trying to avoid the bottom feeders but they are many. smile

31. Naomi R. Cox profile image60
    Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years ago

When it comes to online dating, most of the dating sites are full of people there only to get what they can from you. They will talk to you for a week or so, then get your email address or phone number. Then the sob stories start. You really have to be careful with these sites.

I can tell you though, there are legit dating services on the internet, like eHarmony.Your only matched with people compatable to you. That is how I met my husband.The first time I met him, I felt as though I'd known him all my life. We have been married alittle over 2 years and I can say truthfully, it's been 2 wonderful years.

32. yenajeon profile image71

You know what? There should be online dating sites where they require real photos! Instead of people using model photographs passing them as their own.

=0)

1. profile image0

Contrary to what you may believe, the use of model photos by real people is actually quite rare.

But the use of old, out dated photos that show themselves to be slimmer and more attractive than they really are is very common. This tactic is usually employed by middle aged females attempting to stave off the impending scraphead where they really belong.

1. yenajeon profile image71
        yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really? hmm I guess that makes sense, but what happens when they have to meet someone in person. then duh! the photo will seem *misleading* no?

1. profile image0

Errrr... hello! You clearly have no concept of online dating.

Word to the wise my young child... if you can spare half a millisecond in your truly busy schedule type in the following : 'Match.com sucks / Match.com complaints' in any search engine. Then allow your eyes to be opened to what online dating is really like. Go on... you know you want to.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or people working for the site that take and post the profile pictures.

33. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I did the online dating thing with a guy who I use to roleplay with. Yes Crazdwriter was a roleplayer smile and it didn't work out between us because he let things get in the way (mother) but it worked out for me becaues now I am back with the one man I was meant to be with.

And I guesss you could say that my husband and I did online dating with a week here and there physically together for 3 years since he is military and was staioned in Florida while I was going to school in cali

34. EFPotter profile image59
    EFPotterposted 14 years ago

I met someone on a forum several years back. We started chatting on MSN, then on video on Skype. We've now been dating for three and a half years and see each other every school vacation.

Dating websites however, are questionable. The way it happened for me happened as it would if I met someone in real life, got to know them, and we hit it off, only, on the internet. Dating sites...ehhhh.

35. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

As long as one realizes that the reality may not be the same as the perception and is comfortable with that, then date away!
    Personally I maintain a healthy dose of skepticism unless I have reliable information to the otherwise.

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true Logic if you knew who the person you were getting on with was really who they said they were it would be cool for me too. smile

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm really the person I say I am, do I qualify? smile

You got it going on Logic.

1. profile image60
            logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With who?  smile

haha who you think?

36. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

nothing to do with the morals of it. I don't see online dating as a symptom of anything but I won't do it because the chances of being scammed are just so much greater than actually getting a date.  I am very very sceptical.

37. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

do a search for white label dating sites, if you don't already know how easy it is for any1 to set up a scam dating site, check out these affiliate programs, white labels.  you really do not know who you are signing up with.

1. profile image53
      probafixposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes that`s true you don`t even know the other person whom you are dating.

38. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

See Logic and I are giving you a demo of the technique used for online dating ROFL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)