What do Atheists do during Christ-Mass Time?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Sprinkler Man profile image57
    Sprinkler Manposted 14 years ago

Do you have a tree in your home and decorate it as the heathens do? Do you exchange gifts? Do you make up ignorant remarks like, I just wanted to get you a gift but its not for Christ-mass!!!

Please tell...

1. oldman1941 profile image58
      oldman1941posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian but I am a thorn in the nest of Christendom in my parish.  I do not decorate my dwelling with bright lights and share few presents and call it a "Holiday" and not a Holy Day.  Christians have murdered far too many for me to celebrate the birth right of their titular head.  I wish His teachings were more specific about the evils of capitalism.  He did say a few words about that if you look deeply into what he was reported to have said.

2. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have atheist clients and they celebrate solstice, December 21st, and have a good time at it, too, as I hear it. They meet family and exchange gifts. My understanding is that atheists don't hate religious people, they just don't believe in god and don't want theology forced down their throat.

My experience has always been good with atheists. Of course, I get along with jewish, Muslim, and Christian clients too.

3. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you want to be a prick about it?

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go out in the street and point out to the average person that there's a "Christ" in Christmas, and they'll be surprised. 

The original Church was very clever - it chose dates for all its festivals that were already the dates of existing celebrations.  Christmas Day is one of those.  So it's not purely Christian, for one thing.

Besides, take a look at today's Christmas and ask yourself how much of it has to do with Christianity.  Santa Claus was invented by Coca Cola.  The only thing Christian about Christmas is if you go to church.

5. Gustavo Magnus profile image57
      Gustavo Magnusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do some research before you blurt out stuff like this.

Almost all aspects of Christmas have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, in fact... nothing has!

The only thing Christmas and Christanity have in common in the name, and the fact Christians claim it as their own.

Please check your facts in the future before posting stuff like this:
      http://www.redcode.nl/blog/2009/12/athe … christmas/

6. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On Christmas Day, store owners who are atheists, Jews, Muslims, and any other non-Christian, go to their place of business and look at all the empty shelves and say, “What a friend I have in Jesus”. Christmas can be celebrated as a traditional holiday. We celebrate Halloween even though we’re not Druids or Celts.  How many of us non-Irish folks have one too many on St. Patrick’s Day?

7. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Yes I have a tree in my home and decorate it as the heathens do. I then sacrifice it to the Norse god Thor.

8. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atheists and Agnostics use the usual evergreens (pagans decorated their home with evergreen since it was tough enough to survive the brutal European winters), mistletoe, Yule logs (which symbolized Mithras, the pagan sun god who was born on December 25th) and ornaments (which originated with the pagans use of fruit). Most of us may know that Jesus Christ was not born on the December 25th, but the Winter Solstice was celebrated by the Ancient Romans which was followed by the festival of honoring their god, Saturn, known as Saturnalia, which was celebrated from December 19 - 23rd.  Don’t forget the caroling which is an ancient Rome tradition were groups of costumed singers and dancers, called mummers, who would travel house to house entertaining their neighbors. So Atheists and Christians celebrate December 25th just like the pagans did.

9. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The non-fairy belivers I know never miss a chance to celebrate and party.

10. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most atheists are in reality either Agnostics or have some other religion. The true atheist is actually a rare bird... 

2. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!'
    - Dave Barry, author and columnist

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nah, atheists just sprinkle on the snow wink

4. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

is this a parody thread or something?

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I do nothing
    Why should I do something ?

1. neysajasper profile image59
      neysajasperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because you are an athiest and so you should do something like stopping people njoying themselves:P

1. BobLloyd profile image60
        BobLloydposted 14 years agoin reply to this

or

So may folks think that anything opposed to theism is necessarily kill-joy.  For real kill-joy they should take a look at catholic guilt!  No there's a splendid mixture of fear, guilt, and personal insecurity institutionalised into overpowering ritual.  Fun?  Only if you stop following your own sense of fun.

As for atheism, it's fun as usual smile

6. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

nothing? you gota do something. or do you sleep the whole day? no wait that would be doing something. cus well... you know sleeping is something

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you aware, that's meaning, I don't do anything 'special' on Christmas ??

7. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Maybe they adopt their own celebrations for it, just like the Christians did when they renamed the day Christmas to encourage their own thinking while trying to obliterate the traditions that came before it.

1. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

2. Mitch Rapp profile image60
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah maybe, but they usually just drone on and on about those damned Christians and their beliefs.

1. Len Cannon profile image89
        Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here's something a lot of people don't realize. Athiests actually care far less about Christians than you think.  No one cares about having a round table discussion about how much they want to murder all that is good and loving on Christmas. They like to eat and exchange presents and watch football.

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
          Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe you, Atheist aren't the ones trying to get "under God" stricken from the pledge of allegiance, thats the Jews. Atheist aren't the ones constantly bringing lawsuits for having Nativity scenes on public property, thats the Mormons! No, Atheist don't care about Christianity they just wanta watch football! roll

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, many Christians advocate these things.  They realize that co-mingling government and religion is detremental to both.  It's very amusing that evangelical knuckleheads pretend to speak for virtually all Christians so often.  (not calling you one, don't know nor care about your religion, that's each person's personal business)

2. Len Cannon profile image89
            Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol that's what they do on Christmas day. Excuse me. Christ Mass. You are so put upon.

8. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

no special k cereal ? well you take the day off work dont you?

I don't work ! big_smile

9. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

dont work?  you retired?

never worked. I will never be retired. I'm free.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And it shows smile

10. BobLloyd profile image60
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

Atheists have a holiday the same as everyone else.  They give presents, visit family, have parties, eat food, etc.  What else would you expect?

There really is no great lacuna in the lives of atheists simply because they do not believe in deities.  By virtue of the fact that such deities are immaterial, invisible, undetectable, and therefore inconsequential, nothing happens to your life if you don't believe in them.

Christmas is a holiday, originally of religious significance to some religious people, but now every bit a secular holiday.

lacuna?  Wow! I learned a new word.  Maybe the forums aren't such a waste of time after all.

11. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Since even the religious have made Christmas into nothing more than a big shopping and gimme gimme event, why shouldn't atheist celebrate it?

Kids today don't think about what the day is really about, no matter what religion they are. It's all just one big day for everyone to show up everyone else and try to outdo each other with worthless crap that will be broke or discarded in a month.

After which they spend the rest of the year trying to pay it all off. So the holidays today fits any religion or believe, it's just a day to eat a lot and give presents nobody wants.

As an Atheist I'll gladly say Merry Christmas and all that if your going to give me a gift. I'll take mine as a blond, 5 ft. 4", 38C bust and no wrapping required please! smile

12. dfunzy profile image60
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

As one who believes that good works gets you into Heaven and not just faith, I expect to see many so-called, life-long, atheists sitting up there with the Lord, while many of us so-called Christians are spending time in purgatory. Of course, once those who were atheists see the Lord, they will be former atheists. Anyway, my point is: which man is living the better life? One who does good and does not expected to be rewarded in an after-life, or one who does good, working for an eternal reward? So you see, I don't knock a good man just because he is a non-believer.

Agree.
      Interesting hubs !! smile

13. Gregg Biancci profile image60
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

I'm an atheist, I give people the gift of my presence, which is more than more of them deserve!

However, I think it has been a long time since Christmas has been considered a "holy" day.   It's a purely consumerist driven holiday now a days, not much how much you try to polish that turd.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey man! Are those muscles lick-um-ons?

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

14. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

I hate to tell you all this but there is no religion in the after-life on the other side.  None whatsoever.

15. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

^?

Anyhoo, I go to Christmas Mass with my family. I enjoy how the Church looks all done up, even if I don't believe in what it represents.

It's a family tradition that I am happy to respect because it makes everyone happy.

16. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Christmas dance?

17. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

We eat, we drink, and we try to be merry smile

18. Gale Force profile image61
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

I can't speak for other atheists, but for myself, I don't care about the phrase Under God, or nativity scenes, or anything of that nature, being displayed, even on public property.

But then, I'm am individual. I didn't realize all Christians felt the same way about any given subject, any more than all Jews did, or all Muslims, or all Buddhists, etc.

As for Christmas, as I think someone else in this thread said... it's a pagan holiday grafted onto a Christian one, in an effort to prosletyze to the pagans.

And it has been such a commercial holiday for so long, now that the "reason for the season" is not supposed to be talked about, so I'm surprised you're even asking this question. 

More to the point, what do *Christians* do during Christ-Mass time? DO you celebrate his birth, or do you spoil your kids with gifts, decorate a pine tree that was never seen in Isreael or anywhere else in the Middle East, I don't think, pretend there's a Santa, etc?

19. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Having not read every post in this thread, I don't know if what I'm about to write has already been said,

Regardless....it is inaccurate to assume that all Christians even celebrate December Christmas.

To begin with, many Christians, my own background included, do not celebrate this holiday because to celebrate someone's birth can be a form of idolatry, this being strictly forbidden by the 10 commandments.... In fact these sects do not celebrate any birthdays for this reason.

Secondly, there are many Christians, Eastern Orthodox mostly, who celebrate Christmas in the spring of the year. The December date has more to do with the pagan deity who's birthday celebration Christmas replaced...

Though I am not a Christian in any way, if one is to celebrate Jesus supposed birth I would do so in the spring as well....it is ludicrous, in my mind, to do so in December.

Yet, there are still other Christian groups who do not believe that Jesus was divine or in any way the son of a deity...and they do not celebrate any Christmas...

There is no one idea of Christianity, just as there is no one concept of Islam or Judaism....it is inaccurate to try to lump them together.

While not Christian, Muslim, or Jewish I am not an atheist either. Yet, December 25th is just another day to me.

20. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

christmas and all its traditions are actually rooted in paganism, not christianity. it is to celebrate the solstice, essentially. almost all observed holidays are pagan.

and aren't heathens non-christians? or not practicing? something of that nature?

seems to me like the christians make themselves heathens by celebrating a pagan holiday with pagan rituals, even if unknowingly.

peace.

21. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Whatever we friggin like!!! smile

22. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

My sister-in-law, whom I love dearly, is an atheist. She chooses to spend Christmas with us as her family is all gone. She brings gifts and her love and bows her head when the blessing is said over dinner. No discussions of religion ever. She does love the season and since my brother is long dead now, she comes here.

23. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I'm not only an Atheist but had universally lousy experiences as a kid at Xmas (a mother who was always in a screaming fit during that season). So I try to keep out of it. New Year is different. Xmas is for the misery of family. New Year is for the joy of friends.

24. profile image47
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

You know how when, as a child, you found out there was no Santa Claus and it was really traumatic for like a minute... but then you carried on and did Christmas anyway and it was still exactly the same and afterward you realized pretty much nothing had changed?

Works the same way when you find out there's no Jesus.

25. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Atheists fart. During Xmas time they fart more. smile

26. wudie profile image54
    wudieposted 14 years ago

christmas.....just anotha day.its an excuse for people not to go to work.oh,its january now,i forgot that id just missed last years chrismas.i will keep awake this year so i wont miss it again.just 11 months to go..........

27. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

celebrate the fact that Jesus was not born or then they would have to do something else....

28. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

my son claims to be an athiest, and when I asked him this question he had the answer right away.  He says that they all pray to Santa Claus so bring them what they want....   yikes

29. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

All hail santa.

Santa and Galactus FTW.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)