"Smokers Only" Discussion...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (41 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Things at my work are not getting better. sad
    My income has fallen so low, I am really struggling.

A few months ago I was talking to hubber Yoshi about e-cigarettes. I've looked into them here and there.
    Well, yesterday I was out of smokes. So instead of putting a carton on my credit card, I bought some e-cigs.

I just can't justify the expense of smoking any more but I have NO desire to quit. I've tried different methods but even though I know how bad it is, I don't want to quit.

So. A tobacco cartridge - which equals a pack - costs $1.00. The kit cost as much as the carton I went in to buy anyway. I was nervous as hell to try it yesterday, but let me tell you... I have already gotten rid of my ashtrays.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do real cigs cost where you are?

wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

$6.00 a pack, but new taxes are coming....
        I'm in Michigan

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I have an e-cig, and I love it! I alternate between it and real cigs.

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

interesting where do i find them

I bought it at a smoke shop. I haven't seen it in any retail stores around. Yoshi has a hub about it, let me see if I can get a link to it...

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Here in Mass $7.78 a pack. smile

5. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

I love Missouri, $3.78.

However, I quit a month and a half ago.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

hmmm, I'm a bad boy, so don'ty tell my doctors on me. I roll my own. 17 bucks for more than two cartons vs 100 bucks for ready made.

7. wyanjen profile image70

I've been known to drive down to Toledo to buy them, but Ohio is rising too. I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't say for sure now how much they are there.

$7.78? sucks.

I've already cut out every thing from my budget - including food - but quitting smoking wasn't gonna happen for me.

Here is the link, but it seems like Amazon doesn't carry them anymore.
    Very good hub though (thanks so much Yoshi)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Are-you-having- … op-smoking

8. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I have an e-cig, but I bought mine online. The supplies are a lot cheaper online and they send me free nicotine. Still not the same as a real cigarette though, which is why I alternate between them. But hey, I've already cut down from 1 pack a day to maybe 5 real cigarettes a day. So I think they're great.

9. wyanjen profile image70

With the last tax hike in MI, a pack of loose tobacco (my brother smokes it) went from $8.00 to $45.00.

I won't tell, walrus. smile

When I grew tobacco, and even now, it sells for about two dollars a pound.  Of course the farmer has over half that much in expenses.

There is probably less than one tenth oz. in a pack of cigs.

neutral
        geez. Who is making the money then?
        (Do I need to say it) lol

I'm sorry, my post should have said $2.00 a pound.  Still quite a difference though!

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Randy!  Growing tobacco, that is a very interesting fact about you.  I love the way tobacco smells, when it is drying out in an old barn.  It is one of my little things, that make life so wonderful.

Some people think it smells bad, but to me, the top leaves on the stalk almost smell like candy.  My dad grew the best tobacco in this part of the country.  Neither he or my mom ever used it in any form though.  Tobacco once fueled the entire economy in this area.  No more.

10. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

£5.58 here!

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

45 bucks is a sin, and they are punishing us for sin.

Yup.
      sin-tax.

12. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Wow first time I ever heard of them I will have to look into this.

smile
      I don't have any reason to promote them. I don't have a hub about them, and I won't bother to do one. Better hubbers than I am have it covered. lol

But, I'm impressed enough with them to spread the word. I'll be taking some extra cartridges with me to work next work, so the guys can give it a try there.

13. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

My husband loves his e-cigs.  I have a hub about them also and we just ordered him a new one online today.

Here is KCC's hub:
      (She's not promoting, I am) lol

http://hubpages.com/hub/Smoking-is-Out--Vaping-is-In

14. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

e-cigs huh?  Sounds like a plan if it can get me to quit.  A few weeks ago I decided to quit this year and recently made an appointment with my doctor to get the patch or something.  I think I'll try the e-cigs first - if I can find them.

15. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm still sticking with e-cigs - been off the real smokes for 10 months now. I get mine at a place called litecigusa and mine is a m-201 (highly recommended). Sorry I can't give an actual link, but if you Google that company you'll find it.

And of course ... I must add that any form of smoking is dangerous, e-cig or otherwise, but I also must say that my health has improved a lot since I switched off of regular cigarettes - and the savings is a plus.

I recommend this route only for those who have tried every other method of quitting and failed. After all 'tis better to replace a really bad habit with a less severe one then to continue on with that really bad habit.

Also, stay away from Chantix. I used to recommend it, as I knew some people it actually helped, but I have been hearing lately that it can cause suicidal idealizations, and that's definitely not a good thing ...

Currently, it's costing my (averaging in all expenses) about $2 a day to smoke as much as I want, and secondhand smoke is a thing of the past, as what comes out the other end doesn't offend anyone. For me that's everything, as my biggest reason for switching over was because I had heard so much about it and didn't want to be the cause of someone else's lung cancer.

And what is the smoke that comes out of the e-cig? It's the same stuff they use to generate fog at rock concerts - pretty cool, eh? smile

16. wyanjen profile image70

Yoshi:
    You sold me on the idea when we talked about this a few months back, but it took me some time to finally go ahead and do it.
    I'm so glad I did. So far it's all thumbs up - I'm very impressed with it.
    Thanks pal big_smile

re: Chantix
    I would not recommend it either. I've heard about the suicidal thoughts with this... As I have a little bit of experience with medications of this type, I can vouch that it is a legitimate concern.

I have a friend who tried it briefly. He stopped because he was having freaky nightmares.

17. Edweirdo profile image83
    Edweirdoposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the post, Jen!

I'm one of the only smokers I know who has never wanted to quit, and I see now that I'm not alone!

Maybe the e-cig thing is worth looking at.

At least then I could smoke in the house! There's still about a foot and a half of snow outside,a and it's chilly wink

Off to light one up!

1. yoshi97 profile image57
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That reminds me of a funny story where (supposedly) years ago when they had outhouses an old man went outside to light one up in the frigid loo and dropped his ciggy down the drink. Well, to make a long story short ... things heated up fast. smile

lol
        I can imagine it...

Ed, since I moved into my apartment (third floor walk-up), I nixed my "no smoking indoors" rule. This has been part of my problem. Especially being single, I really don't even notice how much I've been smoking. I just go about my day, not paying attention to how often I'm lighting up. hmm

18. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Can you mix e-cigs with your weed to help it burn? I didn't think so! smile

Nah.
      Weed uses a completely different delivery device.
      No batteries required.
      smile

19. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

My ex was a big tobacco farmer, and he once figured out how much a pound of tobacco was worth in its final form - cigarettes. I can't remember what the figure was, but it was unbelievable! Randy's right - the farmers sure don't make the money. The taxes, for one thing, are ridiculous!

20. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I’m in Canada. They tax our smokes to death to pay for our healthcare so $12.00/pack. I want to try e-cigs. I keep seeing ads online, but last I read they’re not for sale in Canada. I guess they need time to figure out how to tax them

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You pay $12 a pack of how many cigarettes? I guess it’s a pack of twenty cigarettes – in which case you smokers are the ones paying the cost of educating other people’s children. You better quit. I thought $1 a pack of 20 cigarettes is a high price. From the way things are going, I think the future is the e-cigarette. What’s the shelf life of that e-cigarette just in case one would want to keep a huge stock of them to use for the next couple of years?

I also read somewhere that they them are also complaining about e-cigarettes.

I believe the shelf life is 18 months, but I don't remember where I read that.
        People who complain about e-cigs seem to be:

A) Those who believe that since smoking is bad no matter what, so therefore the e-cig can't be good (even though there is no burning tobacco which is what causes health problems in the first place) (and - if a person just cannot quit, what the hell is wrong  with a healthier alternative)

B) Tobacco lobbyists

smile

21. wyanjen profile image70

e-Cig update:

I forgot to charge the damn battery today.
    So, I'm temporarily back to the Marlboros.

22. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I didn't really want to quit, but my husbands health pretty much demanded it, so we did, with the help of some self hypnosis, and a couple other tricks, and we both haven't smoked since Jan. 1, and it wasn't that hard at all.

23. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

e-cigs sound interesting. I never wanted to quit either until here lately. Now I been having problems breathing and other health problems related to smoking. I really wish i had of never started and I'm sure most others feel the same way.

It is such a tough addiction to break. e-cigs sound like a good way to get off of them slowly possibly. I wonder about how expensive they are though. I have a cigarette injector machine that allows me to make my own cigs for about $1 a pack. I buy a pound bag of tobacco and 3 boxes of tubes for $21. Yield is between 2 and 3 cartoons per pound,  2.5 is average.

For what its worth ever since the government jacked up the cig tax some companies that sell the loose tobacco by the pound are mislabeling rolling tobacco as "*******" to avoid the high tax. You can pay like $45 a pound for rolling tobacco or about $15 for a pound of ***** tobacco. The only difference being the tax class. Understand I do get mine from an Indian smoke shop that is exempt from sales tax too.

If you want the details then site email me. The tobacco companies are getting over on the government, to help us smokers out obviously, and I do not wish to ruin it by posting the details on a public forum. Surely you understand the why's....

I do not know if what I'm talking about is available in your state, but it should be online I would think.

24. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

But have you all forgotten? Smoking is cool. Thats why we smoke. We are cool.

25. mod2vint profile image60
    mod2vintposted 14 years ago

Talking about tax hikes, do you know how much is tax when you buy a carton. I am a retailer and my wholesale price for a carton of generic 305's is 29.75 - 23.00 of that goes to our lovely government. The tobacco company doesn't even get $10 bucks and me as the retailer I'm lucky if I make 3.00 on a carton sale.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)