Is it hard to maintain your hubscore?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (41 posts)
  1. AllanWrites profile image60
    AllanWritesposted 14 years ago

I was just wondering, if I left hubpages for two weeks then came back, would be score have dropped like mad because I wasn't active?

Right now it's at 82 and I've only been on here for 4-5 days and I want to keep it rising

1. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my experience (2 years +) even if I take an extended trip away from hubpages my score never dips below 90. A little interaction will pump it back up to 95+. So, assuming you have a sufficient level of quality in terms of hubs, there isn't much of a risk.

Time will stabilize your score.

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Allen:
      What's important about "hub" scores?
      You certainly don't paricipate just for a score do ya?
      They send me mine once in a while. I have no idea what they mean so I delete em without lookin' at em.
      For me, having found the "hub" pages has given me an opportunity to kinda test my writing skills and to share thoughts with other folks.
      It's a form of entertainment too during "down time."
      I could care less about "scores." Scores for what? To impress? C'mon! who cares?
      Just enjoy the camaraderie!    :-)

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, can't believe you are not impressed sad tongue

1. qwark profile image60

Thisis:
          I'm not easily impressed.
          I've lived! And done much.
          There is little we "humans" can do that really impresses me.
          I'm very comfortable in my "skin."
          I know my abilities, understand them and utilize them to make life an enjoyable singular experience.
          What really impresses me is that "I" AM!
          The odds don't exist that that could happen!
          "Serendipity" is my creator! All I can say is WOW!
          How lucky can ya get!   :-)

1. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But I just got to 94 NINETY FOUR!!!!

2. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I have an account that has been open for 3 weeks.  It has 3 articles and a score that fluxuates between 77 and 82.  I have done nothing for it in over a week.  It does fine because it is getting search engine traffic. 

If you are getting outside traffic and have original content then you will be fine if you leave for it for a bit.  I would assume, as well as you are doing, that you have both.

3. maxx2010 profile image58
    maxx2010posted 14 years ago

i dont think hub scores hav much to do with ur earning

1. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily, but they will increase your exposure somewhat.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To other Hubbers, yes, but not significantly otherwise.

4. AllanWrites profile image60
    AllanWritesposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the help all

5. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

HubScores require no maintenance.

I can go away for a week or two, and I'll still be in the 90s. I can go without publishing for a while and on the traffic I get to my existing hubs, I still stay in the 90s.

If the quality of your hubs outweigh your forum participation you can still stay in the 90s or even the high 80s.

HubScores mean nothing in the real world. Offline or on. (Except for spammers, who won't get dofollow links by scraping content.)

6. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

I have just spent time away from my hubsite in the hospital.
    It was 90 before I left, now 83. How do you explain this? My

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is your traffic organic or do you have to continually promote your work to keep the visitors coming to your hubs?

7. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I've gone from 93 to 77 in a couple of days.

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

When I went away for nearly 3 weeks last year my hubscore only went as low as 89, and soon recovered once I came home. I think so long as your hubs still get traffic from whatever source, your score will hold its own largely. I know hubbers who stopped hubbing or visiting hubpages for nearly a year, yet when I checked into their profiles to see if they were active again yet, their scores were STILL in the 90's!!

9. viryabo profile image96
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I stopped writing hubs for about 6 weeks or so and my hubscore gradually dropped to 89. I was aghast! Ok, i'm not supposed to give a toss about it, but i do.
    Back up again now, but it set me thinking. Does it drop if you stop writing hubs for some time?

10. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Also, I do believe it's the 'source ' of your traffic that makes a difference to the hubber score. For me, my traffic is mostly external (google) so even if I stay inactive for days on end, my score always stays in the 90's. Infact, on weekends, when I'm least active, it goes up to 98 even, then falls to 94 during the week even though I'm interacting more then. On the other hand, for people who's main traffic source is HP, their hubtivity does impact the score much more.

11. BEAUTYBABE profile image68

All of my Hub scores have fallen below 80, not one of them is in the 80's, I have just published another hub, I will see what transpires.
    If they continue to fall, because there is no traffic going through I have every intention of taking some out and concentrating intead on my poetry, which seems to be getting better results for me.
    I am so sorry it has come to this,but I feel depressed watching all my hard work, just going down further and further.I wont' put myself through this humiliation anymore.

Beautybabe.

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poetry isn't going to do much better in terms of quality traffic.

If you do get a lot of visit, it'll be from fellow hubbers.

Have a look at the list of my latest hubs Half of them are under 80. The other half are barely over 80.

Don't let it get you down.

2. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

BeautyBabe, sorry you're feeling humiliation, but hey.  You're back from the hospital; that ought to count about a gazillion times more than a digit or two out here in Never-Never Land.   

Not that we humans are always prone to logic as such.  I remember in college when a wrestling teacher and coach picked me to win an intramural tournament in my weight class...and dropped my grade from an A to a B when I only came in Second.  Didn't forgive him for about forty years after that, and obviously didn't ever forget.

Okay, so I'm hardly one to talk about humiliation!  lol

Seriously, it seems to me that if you write about what you love and don't worry too much about a Magic Number some computer hangs on your work, it sort of all works out after a while.  big_smile

12. profile image0
    TattoGuyposted 14 years ago

I never worry about my Hubscore, my only worry is my adsense earnings, a score won't go into my bank account !

1. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree.

Another way to approach PPC revenue model is write and forget,if the content is worth it and SEO is pitched then revenue will be there.

2. Monsa profile image60
      Monsaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I only worried about my adsense earnings, I would be a very, very, very worried person.

13. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Hub ratings are not that important, as Darkside said, a lot of mine are under 80 too, only a handful actually get above the 80 mark!

14. laswi profile image59
    laswiposted 14 years ago

Hubscore is very important because it increases your exposure as Thooghun has suggested here. I agree that your Hubscore depends on the quality of your hubs and the original contents in your hubs and your active participation.

But I suspect that sometimes something goes wrong somewhere.

Few weeks back my hubscore was dropped to 60 from around 85 suddenly i.e. within one or two days. During this period too I participated actively in my normal way.  I was waiting for few days for it to recover but you won't believe it came down further to even 53. I then wrote to hubpages team and there was no reply. Finally I wrote to a senior member of the HubPages Team and requested him to check. I thank him for his quick reply and action. He said in his reply that they are not in a position to see a historical view of my hubscore but they thrust that it is being calculated properly. Somehow thereafter within a day or two it went up to 75.

You see sometimes back I just designed a small Excel sheet to calculate our company's bank OD interest and we calculated the interest for few previous months. We came to know that bank had overcharged us several lacks for about 2 years. Although the bank didn't believe us initially, they finally found an error in the computer system. They had to take Board approval and Auditor's approval to refund the overcharged amount.

All these are calculated by computer systems. Anything can go wrong anytime.

15. BEAUTYBABE profile image68

I said earlier Adsense pulled my account three months ago.
    My girlfriend thought it would be be to muck around and send a number of clicks through my hubs, only she did it continually for several hours.
    I was not even aware of this, as I did not get the privilege of being told. I found out when I received an e mail from Adsense saying that my account had been closed because it was a threat to other accounts,
    It did not say that I had overclicked, but when I inquired with Adsense the reason why they stopped my account, which at the tme was showing about $1.95, just after one month, I was absolutely stunned when I was informed about the threat I was .
    So, you can see I have not earned a cent since that time. and I have continued writing regardless and I love meeting all the hubbers, reading their hubs and allowing people to read my work as well.
    I have been both amazed and impressed by the standard that I have seen through all of my fellow hubbers hubs, I feel sometimes maybe mine are just not up to the mark.

I just don't understand what is happening for all of them to plummet at the same time, is just silly. I will take your advice and see how things go. I love it on HP's, your support and understanding through the tough times has been immeasurable and so appreciated. Thank you all of you
    Beautybabe.

1. laswi profile image59
      laswiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel sad about you Beautybabe. You would have lost large amount of money by now.

I think you can get someone else in your family to open a new Adsense account with Google and put that code as your Adsense code. Even you might be able to open a new Adsense account (I am not sure anyway, just try) under your name but with a different email address.

2. Simone Faith profile image60
      Simone Faithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beautybabe, I am a newbie and after reading all these responses I think you should enjoy everyone's support and write for the love of it.  Yes, I joined to earn money too but, if it doesn' happen then there are always other ways to earn online.  Like you I too enjoy the hubbing community and the standard of work submitted.  Hang in there girl, don't let poxy scores get you down.

16. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

My hub score changes very easily. One day it's 82, the next it's 80, the next it's 77, the next it's back up to the low 80s, it's very unpredictable.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not even bother trying to figure this out anymore...I just write and stay active...whatever happens just happens

17. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

The scores don't bother me anymore since i watch traffic from the search engines improve on a daily basis.

18. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Going away for a week will not do your hubscore any damage, in fact  once mine went up when I was off of HP for three day's!? I don't know why. I know hubscore does not really matter, but I still want to get 100, so far I have only managed to make a 98 though.

1. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good MOrning wrenfrost.  My score goes up and down seemingly on its own regardless of traffic stats. Weird

2. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been very close too, but found it very hard to get over 98. I think it matters to me as a measure of how I am going with my writing. smile

1. qwark profile image60

I think im negative sumthin..??
        Beats me..:-)

19. lovelypaper profile image56
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Maybe not touching your hubs for a length of time causes the score to go down. What if you were able to just go into a few of them and add a tag to keep your score up? I'm new, so I'm just speculating.

20. Tenerife Islander profile image69
    Tenerife Islanderposted 14 years ago

In my experience, with my other hub as Bard of Ely, unless you add new hubs within a week or two the score drops down. To keep the score up and going up you need to add new hubs (several in a week but daily is best), participate here, and promote the new hubs elsewhere.

21. laswi profile image59
    laswiposted 14 years ago

If someone from the HubPages staff can contribute to this forum it will be big help to the HubPages community.

22. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm not staff, but I can tell you that a lot of factors go into your score. Too many, in fact, to do any one thing to improve them.

As such, I offer a formula which always seems to bump up scores:

Publish a few more high quality hubs of around 1000 words
    Participate in the forums for about an hour
    Answer some of your recent comments on your hubs.

While I'm not sure of all of the factors, I know outside traffic definitely plays a role. The more hits you get from outside HP, the better. However, a big steam of traffic from inside can pop up your score as well. Problem is, internal traffic is difficult to maintain - there's only so many hubbers and they won't read your article every day for they next 60 days. Also, most hubbers read a hub within days of it's publishing.

Also, check to see how many people you have followed. If you are following 100s of people this can have a negatice impact on your score.

Another thing is to check your My Account page and your email for warnings from the HP staff. If they warn you about something you need to follow up on that warning or receive a penalty. And when you think you have it fixed email them back and ask for another revue, to be certain you fixed what was in question and didn't somehow misunderstand what they were asking of you.

Though the staff can get stretched thin a bit at times, I have never known them to be anything but cordial over a nicely made request to review a hub you received a warning on - provided you attempted to fix the issue or you are making an attempt to understand why your hub is being flagged.

Kindness goes a log way with the staff. I heard they move mountains for the nicest of peeps, so it pays to be respectful in all communications with them. smile

1. laswi profile image59
      laswiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Yoshi for your valuable advice and I thinks they are very useful for average hubbers. They can be regarded as valuable not only because they will really help hubbers to keep their hubscore on the correct track but also it is coming from you at a time when your personal hubscore is at 100 mark.

Also, Paul Edmondson from HubPages staff has written a hub on "What Happens To Traffic Once You Stop Writing?".  Paul has given good ideas to maintain your hubscore from his own experience. The url is:

http://hubpages.com/_gslwhub/hub/What-H … op-Writing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)