"Public Ads" and Adsense account banning question

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

A couple days back I was following a thread (Link Here)  where SunSeven was talking about a hub that was taken down because the ads "started showing Google Public Interest" ads.

Nelle Hoxie made a comment about how that stuff is bad and can cost you your adsense account.  SunSeven seemed to agree.  I asked how that worked, how whatever a "public interest" ad is could be any worse than publishing a hub with "no ads" selected.

I didn't get an answer and I'm curious.

1. What are public interest ads?
    2. Why are they so terrible that you lose your account from them (worse than having no ads)?
    3. How the heck do you know if you have them on your hubs, especially if you are a lazy piece of crap like me who doesn't pay attention to technical stuff at all?  Is there a warning thing that comes up like the copyright one I get when people steal my stuff?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to enter my google pin and received an email telling me that google would only place public service ads on my pages.

Public service ads means no adsense earnings is what I gathered from the email.

I quickly found and entered the pin# so I am not sure if my account was ever in jeopardy.

I also have a hub that for whatever reason google will not place ads on the hub for my time of ad placement.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1.  These are ads shown by Google for charities for free.
      2.  If all your pages (or Hubs) only ever showed these, you'd never be making Google any money so why should they even bother giving you an account?
      3.  There's a page in your AdSense account where you can see what sort of ads are being matched to your site(s), or you can just look at your pages.  If you are so lazy that you just can't ever be bothered to look or learn, then there's nothing to really be done, is there?

Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, if I was that lazy, there wouldn't be anything to be done.  Fortunately, I was just motivated enough to remember the question had not been answered and seek some advice. 

So, what I'm gathering is, check all my hubs for Red Cross ads and stuff, or hit the adsense info-maze.  Hopefully it has some kind of warning mechanism on it that points out trouble hubs (I think checking individual ones would be tedious, especially with a ton of hubs as time goes on).  Warning lights are a great idea, invented by thoughtful technical people for people who like to drive (or need to) but were too lazy to learn how to check all the fluid levels of their car, belt tension, compression, fuel mixture, electrical system status and stuff... people who had other interests and aptitudes.  Hopefully there's something like that on the Adsense thingy.  smile   

Thanks for the tips!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shade, the point is that Google itself places the public service ads, so there's no way they're jeopardizing anything!

The importance of public service ads is that if you can see them on your website, you're not earning money.  The public service ads themselves aren't in contravention of anythng.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've almost never seen a public service Google AdSense unit on HubPages.   What I have seen are blank spots where the ads would go, and that happens for two main reasons: 1) Google's automatic filtering algorithm thinks that your content may not meet with the terms of the AdSense Program Policy, 2) you haven't completed the pin verification process (in which case it will happen 100% of the time in your share of impressions)

I'll have to go thru my hubs and look.  Never even occurred to me before to do that.  Somehow I figured it was all on autopilot as I collect my 12 bucks a month.  lol.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
          pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To be clear, Google's automatic filter is far from perfect.  I've seen lots of errors both of omission and inclusion.

If you have a hub that isn't showing ads that you are confident is within the Google's guidelines,  I'd recommend  first tweaking the language a few times (it might take a day or two for Google to adjust after a change).   Then, if it's still not showing ads you may want to just set the ad level to none (so that you don't get the big white boxes).  You won't earn any money that way, but you also won't risk running into trouble with Google.  They aren't likely to ban you if your content really is within their terms, but it would not surprise me if the percentage of your impressions that get caught by the auto-filter has a small effect on the revenue you get per click.

1. rmr profile image68
            rmrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul. I guess I should head over and set some of B.T.'s ads to none. I don't think those hubs technically violate any rules, but I doubt that Google shares my sense of humor.

@Shadesbreath-Those were the good old days, eh? *sigh*

2. Sally's Trove profile image76
        Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another reason it happens is for no good reason. One Hub I have that violates nothing is "blocked" by Google for no good reason. There have never been Google ads appearing there. I started a forum thread about this issue here:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/36219#post815304

Only after contacting the HubTeam directly did I receive this information:

"...the ads must be getting blocked by some kind of automatic filter on Google's side.  There isn't anything we can do about that, but you could try changing some of the text around a bit so that it looks like a new page, or you could transfer it to a new hub and url.  That might unblock things."

The point: sometimes there is no rhyme or reason that will ever be revealed to us lowly writers about why we get cheated by Google out of our 90 cents per month per Hub.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
          Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I received a similar message from HP on the one hub I have with white spaces.  I am proud of the story so I have left it published.

2. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 14 years ago

Shades, if you have a peek at B.T.'s hubs about pipe nipples and his wife's ass (donkey), I think you'll see the white blocks that Paul is talking about.

What I don't know, is if there's some kind of reprisal to worry about. Those hubs have been up for a long time.
    Does it make a difference of you set it to not show ads?

http://hubpages.com/hub/More-Nipples-Th … A-Stick-At

http://hubpages.com/hub/If-You-See-My-W … se-Grab-It

LOL@those.  Been a long time since I saw those.  B.T. rules!

And yes, I see what you mean about the white spots.

I just got the impression from comments in that other thread you could lose your adsense account.  Perhaps that just means if you get so many of those that you become unviable as a business interest or something.

Thanks for the links.  That was a nice little trip into the HP wayback machine too.

2. Appletreedeals profile image65
      Appletreedealsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Listen, just imagine this in 10 foot letters - OMG!
      They were hilarious. I can't believe I haven't seen them before.
      Absolutely the most enjoyable reads in a long time, Thanks.

GA

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Sometimes public service ads are displayed when there are just no advertisers bidding on the keywords in your content.... it's very unusual, but I have seen this before on a short 150 word hub which I once published. I extended it to 300 words, shoved a few decent keyword phrases in, and what do you know.... normal ads showed up.

If your content is considered dodgy by google, there will be no ads showing up. Personally if my content was so lacklustre and unappealing to advertisers, I would much rather help out a charity then see big white spaces on the page...

If you see THAT.... then start to worry. I had white spaces on my 'USB Humping Dogs' page, so I just disabled the ads...

4. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I have only one hub with the blank spots. It is the one in which I explained what happened when I neglected to input my PIN number. Google has told me it violates that TOS, but for the life of me I still can't figure out how.

It violates TOS to disclose certain details about your Adsense account.  You've probably got wording in the Hub which suggests you're disclosing too much.

Like Nelle said, it's simply not worth jeopardizing your Adsense account over one Hub.  I'd just delete it if I were you.

1. Aya Katz profile image82
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh! So it might have to do with my telling the reader exactly how much I made before the ads were turned off because I didn't input the PIN?

If that's what it is, can I fix it? Or would it be better to just turn off the ads? Or is it too late to do that, since they did it for me? Is deleting the only option that would help?

Aya, I just read it and I can't see any reason why.  Remember, the check isn't done by a human, it's done by a robot which can't read words in context.  You're mentioning Adsense, PINs and money, so it's probably some combination of that.

It's really up to you - but as Nelle said, is one Hub really worth the risk of losing the account altogether?

Thanks, Marisa. I'm thinking of maybe importing it to a private site, comments and all. Then I could link to some of my other hubs from there and still use the non-hub to generate traffic here. Would it be considered okay to do that? It's a shame to just throw it away, I think.

1. profile image0
              ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as you don't display AdSense on that particular page on your 'private site'. Unfortunately that rules out most blogging platforms such as blogger, which I don't think allow you to pick and choose which posts are monetised or not. If it is a non-AdSense monetized site, then there will be no problem. Just so long as you aren't linking to hubpages from anything too dodgy... like adult content.

I haven't deleted the hub yet,  but I have "unpublished it" and I've republished it on Weebly.com as GoogleDiscards. Let me know if you think this is okay and I'm not violating any rules.

If you're not using your Adsense account on that site, it's absolutely fine.

I'm not using my Adsense account on that site. I think I'll put everything that might be "forbidden" on that one site and keep it un-monetized.

The only question is: how to get traffic to a site that doesn't carry ads? Because it seems to me that Google has very little incentive to send traffic my way, if they don't stand to make anything off it. Should I court the other, second tier search engines?

5. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

here's what happened to me a while ago. I had not registered my pin yet because I was not close to pay out. when I was checking my account once, I saw they had added a message that said I had no ads showing, only public service announcements until I registered my PIN. Once I did, the ads came back.

I'm sure this isn't the case for you, but anyone should register their PIN as soon as they receive it so this doesn't happen.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

To make my exchange with SunSeven clearer.

SunSeven said that the content of the hub was no longer within Google's TOS and that it wasn't worth the effort to rewrite it. I agreed with her saying that it isn't worth it to risk your adsense account over one hub or even 100 hubs in my opinion.

Atleast that's what I remember the exchange as.

It wasn't so much the PSAs that were showing in my mind, it was that SunSeven said that it was no longer was consistent with the TOS.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)