Had a strange dream....meaning?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (65 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Was keeping several older children in a group home. They complained of black widow spiders in their shoes. They began pulling their shoes out and turning them upside down. A black widow would fall out. I felt something in the toe of my own shoe. I took it off, and out fell the largest black widow you've ever seen. I was panicked, then woke up.

Any observations or comments?

1. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing can kill you. You can do anything. You will do very well on HubPages. You will lead others through the dangerous waters of online publishing. That is why you asked us here about your dream.

donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is?hmm

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Let me chew on it a little while.

1. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love your answer glassspider. Laughing all the way as spiders eat each other and offspring. smile

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63

Hehehe...I never even thought of it that way! That's something I always say when I want to think about something. How cool that it gave you a chuckle. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

3. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dreaming about spiders can mean many things. It could be your subconscious warning you that you need to take a look at the people around you. There may be someone deceitful in the group you spend time with. They could also be encouraging you to explore your creative side a bit more and that inspiration is right in front of you. It could also be telling you to expect a major transformation in your life or it may be showing you a connection between your past and future.

The children in your dream could be the "deceitful" ones. Often, the most deceitful are disguised as innocents. You said you work in the mental health industry. Perhaps a co-worker or patient is planning something against you. Since the children are complaining about the spiders, it could mean that the deceitful one is jealous of your creativity or something else...

The shoes themselves could be something to look at, but in this case, I would say it is a clue as to who you should be careful of. Perhaps someone you know has something interesting about their feet? Another explanation could be that they are wearing the shoes they will try to "stomp" you down with.

In all cases, I would think that the dream is telling you to take a step back and examine the people around you, as well as examine the actions you are using with or around them.

Hope this helped, good luck smile

4. TheGlassSpider profile image63

Okay, in dreams the symbols are complex; they can have many meanings and the most relevant meanings are in your head…so it’s difficult for someone who hasn’t worked with you extensively to know about your personal symbology.

It may be helpful for you to try to free associate without censoring yourself. Write the words for each relevant symbol on a sheet of paper (i.e. older children, group home, black widow spider, shoe) and then write everything that comes to mind about each one—this might help you make some connections you weren’t aware of (don’t erase “mistakes” they’re not mistakes).

It may also help you to consider the symbols as some part of yourself. What parts of yourself might the older children represent? What part of yourself might the spider represent? Your toe is the furthest part of you from your center…Is some small part of you threatening to poison a more central part of you (inner child, perhaps? It strikes me that older children in a group home might symbolize the struggle for autonomy—are you holding yourself back somehow)?

Spiders often symbolize mothers in classic psychoanalysis—the black widow is particularly venomous. How’s your relationship with Mom? Is there something going on right now that reminds you of a nasty situation with your Mom (ETA: or a mother figure)? Obviously, you don't need to answer these questions here, or for me...just when you think about the dream you might want to think about these questions as well.

Obviously the dream is based in fear. You are afraid of something, and apparently it’s all around you. Most likely something that you think you ought not to be afraid of (or else it wouldn’t show up in a dream wrapped up in symbols). What’s needed is to find out WHAT you are afraid of…As your dream indicates, on some level whatever it is that you fear has the ability to “kill” you (symbolic death, I assume).

That's what I've got so far...

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dream characters we don't know in waking life are usually representations of ourselves….our mind thinks in pictures and tries to convey dream symbols when we are in a receptive state of mind such as when we are sleeping..we tend to be too busy to notice the symbols in waking life..

The Black Widow spider has a beautiful red perfectly formed hourglass on their tummies. This is telling you that time is a concern of yours or that time is of the essence.

Black widow spiders stay outside on their low constructed web during the warm weather..but cold weather drives them inside…(yours were inside) It appears something about your life is cold or has cooled down..so it's time to go inside/inward and seek a warm place to abide or to rekindle something you feel you've lost or may be losing.

The web can mean the collective consciousness and since there was not a web you may feel that you are not so connected to others..or you have the need to connect to someone or others.

Only the female is a threat..the male isn't…since no one was bitten..your dream may involve a male in your life or a masculine force which can also mean your logical thinking or the left brain. Are you thinking too much?

Since female black widows sometime eat the male after mating..do you feel consumed by something?

Since Black widows don't usually bite unless they have eggs or young, and their venom doesn't kill an adult human, the fear of the black widow is senseless.. your fears are without basis…

Just my input..

I'm so appreciative of your interpretation. It means a lot to me to have this much response. Whether it actually means this or not, the fact remains that I have been given some good input from different perspectives, which is very helpful to me right now. Your input has much truth and meaning. I'm forever trying to put the puzzles together, perhaps that's why I make life so difficult. Thank you.

6. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having had similar dreams, what usually follows is a triumph of sorts meaning you are about to tackle something down.  It's a good omen.  Even though it is a black widow.  big_smile

7. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you feel you have too many responsabilaties

8. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I purchased a book called,

"Dictionary of Dreams" it is a book that helps you understand dreams and their messages

They say that a dream with a black widow spider, is symbolic of feminine power, and it could mean you a need to keep your distance from a tempting situation, you need to keep it hidden, as in your shoe.

9. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your subconscious is telling you to wear socks

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Well to me it seems like there is something that you fear and have yet to overcome it. Your dream is telling you that you possibly will have to face that fear soon.

This is totally separate from my actual phobia. Deeper.

I already did face my fear....see my site name? If you read my hubs, you'd know too.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just because u have faced one fear doesn't mean that another can't appear.

And u asked so I simply gave my opinion doesn't mean it's right just what I see

OH....thanks. You're right. Thank you also for your interpretation. I appreciate it.

3. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Pani?

You're right, you know. I'm in a mid-life crisis.....and I'm a freakin crisis assessor! Go figure...

I know who the deceivers are, I think. Guess I'm gettin too deep now. Thank you for your interpretation.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. Hope everything works out for you smile

2. Moonchild60 profile image75
      Moonchild60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would agree that the spiders would represent deception or someone not on the up and up, the children are innocence and you are surrounded by them as well, which means you are completely innocent, or unaware that this person or people cannot be trusted.  The shoes are a vehicle for their deception (they are hiding), but you find them out.  It was a warning.  Be careful and alert and aware until these frauds slip up or you somehow figure out who he/she/they are.  Have a nice night : )

I know EXACTLY what situation this is!

4. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

According to Buddhism, there is unhealthy fear and healthy fear. For example, when we are afraid of something that cannot actually harm us – such as spiders – or something we can do nothing to avoid – such as old age or being struck down with smallpox or being run over by a truck – then our fear is unhealthy, for it serves only to make us unhappy and paralyse our will. On the other hand, when someone gives up smoking because they are afraid of developing lung cancer, this is a healthy fear because the danger is real and there are constructive steps they can take to avoid it.

Very rational. Good observation.

5. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

We have many fears-fear of       ism, fear of      , fear of being separated from people we love, fear of losing control, fear of commitment, fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of losing our job, the list is never-ending! Many of our present fears are rooted in what Buddha identified as “delusions” – distorted ways of looking at ourself and the world around us. If we learn to control our mind, and reduce and eventually eliminate these delusions, the source of all our fear, healthy and unhealthy, is eradicated.

But if these fears are delusions, then they aren't real. Fears emit feelings which cause emotion.   'Fear' of something and the 'actual act' of it (like commitment, failure, rejection, abandonment, losing) are 2 different things. Right?....

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two types of fear, deluded or unhealthy and non-deluded or healthy. These can also be divided into fear of the inevitable and fear of the evitable. The key to dealing with fear is to check which type of fear we have, and to transform our unhealthy fears of what we can do nothing about into healthy, appropriate fears of what we can do something about.

Got it....

1. Hokey profile image61
            Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could help!  smile

6. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Be back in a bit guys, donotfear...you've got mail smile

7. defenestratethis profile image61
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

These are all fascinating and thought provoking interpretations. I especially appreciate your input Hokey, it makes sense to me, and a friend of mine has also been talking to me about Buddhism. I may go with him tomorrow to learn how to chant and stuff. As for the dream, heres my take: It sounds to me like part of you is worried that you may have made an oversight. An oversight that could cause you grievous harm, whether it be professionally or personally. Its as though you fear you've missed a crucial detail, which could impair your safety in one form or another, and this detail may be so obvious, that even a child could see it. I'm just wondering if you might be doubting your own competancy, and worrying  that others may find you out, via an embarassing oversight on your part. I'm not saying in any way, of course, that this fear is justified. But Ive worked in the health care field, and I know how conscientous we must be, with regards to the safety of our clients and ourselves. I know we often fret about details and problem solving and documentation and the like. And I also know that health care workers can be very judgemental of one another, and that the old adage (acronym) of C.Y.O.A. is abundant in this field. That being said, it just sounds to me like youre a conscientous, compassionate professional who worries about her own human frailty..which to me is a good sign. If you thought you were perfect, you probally wouldnt be very good at your job.

1. profile image57
      foreignpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've read that a dream has to "appear" more than once to be considered a sign or an omen. When a dream happens just once it could be indigestion and nothing more. But dreams over a period of time, and with a common theme, could indicate something more. When I was a kid I had recurring dreams of soldiers on charging horses that were jumping over barriers against an enemy. It happened over and over for awhile. Still can't figure out that one.

Yes, I've heard this same thing. I used to have a recurring dream but no longer have it. Now I'm struggling with ME. Thank you for your input.

2. donotfear profile image83

This is definitely something for me to soak up. I'm glad you made me aware of this. I'm learning more as I go along.

8. profile image0
    Minnalousheposted 14 years ago

creativity in risk of being poisoned. even some of the things you are comfortable with, that you've had for some time and grown attached to as source of enrichment. They are all at risk from the same factor. A black widow has an hourglass on its stomach, a symbol of time. Sand running out. To keep time going, the hourglass needs to be flipped.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Most of my dreams (strange ones or "basic" ones) can be traced back to whatever my head was exposed to in recent days - something on tv that struck me, a comment I or someone else made, something I saw online, something I saw at the store that "registered" with me, etc.  Then it's like my dreams shake up a wacky combination of those things, dump them out, and there I have it.   I'd guess that if you think back to where each element of the dream may have been something you thought about/ran into in the last week or so, you may get some clues.

Even when I've had emotional things to process, the processing comes in the form of stuff I've run into.  The story line of the dream, and how I was feeling in the dream, is more the clue to what the dream was about.  The "props" in the dream, at least for me, are more like handy images to stick on feelings.  If you "back down" to how you were feeling in the dream, and then ask if you have anything in life that makes you feel that way - that's a good way to track it down.

10. brianzen profile image61
    brianzenposted 14 years ago

I have not read the thread but I think the dream suggests a fear that an unseen thing is going to harm you. The fact it was in a shoe suggests that it has to do with some path you are on. (probably just jittery about having an error that might catch up with you) And spiders in dreams mean many or manifold errors. possibly suggesting that you are actually fearful of this alot.

11. Enlydia Listener profile image59
    Enlydia Listenerposted 13 years ago

I read your profile, so I may be influenced by that...this is my thoughts...you feel responsible for young people...possibly high school or college age...the spider may represent the poison of medication that they are given for mental health...you may feel it is poison,
    You find the biggest one in your shoe...maybe you are the one who will bring them the medication.  But you discover the spider before it causes any damage.

12. iamabeliever profile image60
    iamabelieverposted 13 years ago

I just had a strange dream of standing on a frozen sea. There were stranded whales but then they were able to get back into the ocean after the frozen waves parted (like in the bible). The waves were huge (three stories high). I felt a sense of fear.

13. Obscure Divine profile image59
    Obscure Divineposted 13 years ago

...Your dreams are for you to interpret, and no one else.  I don't care what "they" say...  cool

14. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

do not fear these symbols they only represent the day to come.  When you see this widow, send good thoughts, then run like your ass is on fire big_smile

15. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 13 years ago

REM sleep is necessary for memory consolidation, and learning.  We dream only during REM sleep.  In my opinion, dreams are not interpretable, they are merely a result of the random neuronal firing in your brain to strengthen new connections you made during the day.

1. Obscure Divine profile image59
      Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand the scientific studies on the subject, but if that's true, then why can I start dreaming within seconds of so-called "cat napping?"  They need to seriously revamp that REM theory.

1. profile image0
        crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because you can fall directly into REM sleep if tired enough - and if you need a "cat nap" you are probably tired enough

You do realize that, what you just said, is a cover-up for feign facts.  Rapid Eye Movement studies are...  Oh, never mind, I'm trying to relax.

1. profile image0

Not true at all, must you make me quote studies to you? lol

I'm really getting bored of arguing with people on an Internet forum that could just as easily be some fat guy with a tub of butter that hasn't left his chair for years tongue

Not true at all...  I'm actually an athletic, sexy, endowed intellectual with a propensity for big booty girls, violence & alcohol - believe it or not!
              Well, those other folks you've been arguing with might have fit your sorry description, but that's not my problem.  Ha-ha!
              I'm familiar with REM, thanks for asking.  BUT, like most things, there is gray ground that your little textbooks won't ever cover.  big_smile

1. Greek One profile image64

yeah.. Obsure is a sweetheart.. a really great gal!

You wish!  And you have a narrow penetrating device, Miss Girth-phobic!   LOL! Oh, your man is calling you to dinner, com'on sweet Greek, as he tells you from behind...  lol

sorry.. it was a natural mistake tongue

2. profile image0

There are grey areas to the grey areas.  If there is one line I've grown to loathe it's "that is beyond the scope of this book."

If they had traded in the scope for Listerine maybe we wouldn't have that problem! o_O

So, you admit there is grey areas to your REM worship?

1. profile image0

lol REM worship? Hardly... I just don't believe in dream interpretation.  The question of dreams occurring outside of REM sleep is irrelevant to that position.  There is such a thing as sleep onset dreams - which are different from the dreams had during REM sleep ... I was just counting on nobody knowing the difference so this whole conversation wouldn't happen... thanks OD tongue

16. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

I feel so lucky to be surrounded with all of these psychological experts!

There is always something called "fresh outdoor air."  It's totally great...

1. lightning john profile image59
        lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm back just had to pass a kidney stone thats all!

2. Greek One profile image64

Do you mean "psychotic" experts

Are those reflective thoughts upon thine self, Greek One?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photos/serial_killers/notorious/serial_killer_movies/Anthony-Perkins-&-house200.jpg

Norman Bates kicks arse!  I own a Motel sign that demonstrates such things...  There was a Vacancy, ya know...

17. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

If this were my dream I would look at it this way - the older children are taking care of something they are afraid of, and they all have the same kind of problem, but they know just what to do about it and so they all empty their shoes of the spiders.  Spiders, especially black widows, can hurt you badly, but in this case they didn't hurt these children. 

Then you realize you have the same problem (only bigger, maybe because you have had it longer) as these kids had and now you can take their example and solve the problem the same way they did, by dumping it out of your shoe. (eliminating something scarey from your life so it can't hurt you)

The spiders crawled in when you all weren't looking - it's not anyone's fault you all have these problems, and if you look at the people you work with (especially if some are older children) maybe you will see what problem you all have in common and then see how they deal with it. It looks like they just release their problems before they can hurt them.  Maybe you can do this too. Lots of times kids give us help we didn't expect to get - in this case, help with a big problem that may seem pretty scarey and harmful but if you deal with it right away it won't hurt you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)