Aren't Christians really just the first terrorists?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (317 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Terrorists use threats of violence to get what they want. Most modern terrorists believe they are doing the "Will of God"... Do you believe God needs violence and threats to get humanity to do what God intends us to? That God needs Hell? Why do we threaten our children, with Hell? Is it to make them believe in God? Or is it just to make them obey, when telling them the truth wont work?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the title of the op;  no.  Terrorism and violence existed long before religion did. sad

Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, and the rest of it?

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The rest, I don't know for sure.  I personally don't tell my kid any such thing.  A bigger threat to here is getting her toys taken away from Satan herself, Mom! lol She would prolly tell it to me like it is if I told her she was going to burn in hell if she didn't do what I told her, "no, don't be silly" or "don't say those things" or "there is no such thing."  I am serious too, my kid is like a breath of fresh air even when her truthfulness gets under my skin. big_smile

I can't speak for everyone but feel pretty split down the middle.  One side being that 'hell' was used as a weapon to get criminals to stop doing what they are doing.  On the other side, the criminal caught on and used it as a weapon to get what they want.

I dunno.

Thank You, I really do Enjoy your point of view. wink

1. Presigo profile image61
              Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hell is a place void of God, It is not a punishment. It is a place where God is not that those who reject Him spend out their eternity, without Him. I think people get hung up on Hell like its a sentence passed by God against those who dont love Him. It is a place where there is no presence of God at all where those that have chose to reject Him reside. We are all eternal Christian and non-Christian alike, where that eternity is for us is an individual choice not sentence or punishment. My point of view anyhow

1. earnestshub profile image80
                earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right! So what is this about?

The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath.  He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies!  The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished.  He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm.  The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet.  At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt.  In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed.  Who can stand before his fierce anger?  Who can survive his burning fury?  His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence.  The LORD is good.  When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge.  And he knows everyone who trusts in him.  But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood.  He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.   (Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)

More "love?" Or a clear demonstration of the psychosis that runs through this book written by a bunch of sexist homophobic intellectually crippled old men. lol

smile smile smile tell us how you really feel  smile smile smile Earnest, I like you...

2. livelonger profile image86
                  livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind you're quoting the Hebrew Bible (the "Old Testament") so Christians generally disavow this sort of stuff...unless it appeals to them, in which case they still quote and use it.

And Jews don't take that stuff literally anymore.

Some of it they do (Jews) and you raise another point... Jesus came and said forget all of the teachings in the "Old Testament" but "christians" never did. In fact they included it in the "new" Bible.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

You are so close to saying what I have written in my hub, about how I see God, But at the same time light years away. I do admire your intelect.
                People get hung up on the Hell concept like it was a sentence passed down by God, because the Christian churches teach it that way. Exactly that way. Only God judges ...Judge not lest ye be judged... Judgement is the sentence of heaven or Hell...(the day of reckoning)...

(note that not being the first terrorists, still means they are Terrorists?)

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That can't be right. There have been religions for tens of thousands of years, as of course, no doubt, there has always been violence -- but terrorism the way we usually use the word can only exist when there are nation-states, or empires.

The Crusades?

1. profile image0
            SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you think everyone can acknowledge God and know Him on their own?

Me personally yes. God has the ability to be a personal friend to each and every one of us. Humanity has it in them to have a singlular relationship with God. The fact that each of us see things differently, even when looking at the exact same thing, leads me to believe that a personal understanding of God is what God intended. Some people's ability to know God won't be as "deep" as some others, but that is the nature of everything.

1. profile image0

I will say now that I agree partially with what you wrote. It is in every human being to have a singular relationship with God. This is how God intended it to begin with.

I also state that no man can understand God. He is so far beyind our comprehension that we can't even get close to understanding Him.

I will also say that no man can know God in any way unless God reveals Himself first.

As far as different people seeing God differently shows that man is the one who lacks knowledge and understanding. God is the same no matter where He is acknowledged. His personality and character is always the same no matter which nationality, belief, non-belief, etc. . .

1. marinealways24 profile image59
                  marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's just a worshiping idols if not worshiping the bible god right.

HUH? I don't understand your what your saying...

again true but, it is humanities inability to "see" and understand God in God's entirety, that lead humans to say that "only this" is God, that(which actually is also a part of God) thing/part/entity isnt part of God (satan for example). I believe God is EVERYTHING, and everything minus anything is no longer everything it is something else. Leave out anything at all and it becomes only a partial truth, or just a part/piece of God.

1. profile image0

You call God "It" like He is nothing more than an object. Man cannot understand God, but God can reveal Himself to man.

How could God reveal Himself to man? That is the real question.

2. profile image0

First, you must know why hell was created. Man wasn't meant to go there. God created man to live forever. No death, no sickness.

Man made a choice one day to listen to the voice of Satan. (OOPS) Men choose to follow God or follow Satan. To live in righteousness or live in unrighteousness.

God made a way of escape for all who want it.

I have to disagree, on almost all of it. First you dont know that Hell exists let alone Why it exists(if it does at all), Second God did not intend our human forms to last for ever, or they would, God doesn't make stuff "faulty", the things God creates work just as God intended them to work. Third God did create sickness, and Death. Fourth Since your saying that sickness and death came after Humanity "decided" to not follow God, see point #3 Fifth If following God means that we live forever why do "righteous people still die?  Lastly, none of what your saying answers the original question... Are Christians Terrorists?

3. profile image0
      Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First question: No, God does not need violence or threats...

Second question: No, God does not need hell...

Third question: I do not/have not/would not threaten my children or anyone else with hell...

As to the title question:  Christians the first terrorists?  What evidence or history would you reference to support that idea?

The definition of: -Terrorism- is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion. Listing the many wars of all the Christian Nations would be too lengthy, so lets limit it to "the Crusades".
        But on a fundemental level, from the birth of Christianity the theme do as your told or suffer this fate...(burning in hell forever) is extremely prevelent. Another example, the Salem Witch hunts...

Lastly threatening your children does not mean you have to actually say clean your room right now young lady! or I'll put you in Hell to burn forever... It is an implied threat, you/we tell them that you must follow God/Jesus or you might end up in Hell. They get told that often, if not every sunday, close. They/we took it to heart, I still get told by people that I should watch what I say cause if I'm not careful I'm going to go to Hell...

4. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Do you believe God needs violence and threats to get humanity to do what God intends us to?" No

That God needs Hell? No.

I'd take a good long look at the concept of Hell, it was really made 'popular' by the RCC in about 300AD, and before that there was a good case for what is called 'universalism' today, Hell as a concept depends upon how much you want to see those who reject God suffer! - It's a control thing, but not by God. Yes God may well have needed to create a place to accommodate those who refuse to be with Him, and yes that could be a bad place to be, as everyone who disliked God would be lumped together, but God did not create Hell to punish, He created what must be like hell for people who do not want to be with Him.

"Why do we threaten our children, with Hell?" - 'We' don't.

There is no point in threatening anybody with Hell, if they believe it exists then obviously they will think long and hard before they consign themselves to such a place, if they don't believe in Hell, they should see no threat.

"Is it to make them believe in God? Or is it just to make them obey, when telling them the truth wont work?"

Well I have told my children the truth (whatever that is) and never threatened hell to them and they obey me because they know that scripturally the ONLY conditional blessing in the 10 Commandments is to honour your parents that it may go well with you, which implies that if you dishonour (disobey) your parents, you WILL have problems in life.

If you cannot explain to a child why they need to obey you, then you are in error, because unless you know yourself why obedience is required in certain circumstances, how can you explain to others?

5. marinealways24 profile image59

I think the emotions are the main construction of the religious belief. If you would notice in the forums, most religious people can't hold a logical conversation because they get offended when debating their belief. When they get offended or start to lose an arguement, they start slinging emotional insults. I think the emotions are also the main factor that keeps religious people in the belief.

And fear of the unknown. If they don't know how something works god must have made it happen! smile

Yes, I agree Earnest. I think it's truly limiting when a person can just say "God did it" instead of thinking to figure things out.

6. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe I am doing this instead of writing a hub but--here goes:
      In order of their asking/my responses:
      No because God knows we have free will since Adam and Eve.
      God doesn't need Hell.
      I don't know that we all DO threaten our children with Hell.
      Can't answer this question if we DON'T all threaten our children with Hell in the first place.
      Can't answer the last question either since --again--we don't know that we all threaten our children with Hell.
      okay, on to the next hub!
      (That was simple enough!)

smile

7. Bibowen profile image88
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christianity as terrorism....yeah...

She was right. I had a teacher who said that some people produce quality work and the world sits up and takes notice. Still others state and do the outrageous in order to get attention. It's the difference between observing the works of Michelangelo and Michael Moore.

Well Stated.

8. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't we do the same thing when it comes to Santa?  'you better be good or I'm calling santa...'  Parents will try anything to make kids listen smile

Yea I guess in a way, what your saying is another way of using an implied threat.

9. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There were quite a few religions around using terror tactics before Christianity came on the scene.

The old testament put a stop to human sacrifice which I think was a good thing. The new testament was against the stoning of people, including women. Not a bad idea.

The Crusades were a form of terrorism with Heaven being bought by active service in killing other people. Later on Indulgences had the scare factor in that you can pay the Pope not to land in Hell after you die or have a loved one saved from Hell.

What does God need with humans smashing each other's heads over religion of any sort? Damned silly idea if you ask me.

I agree, damned silly, but it still goes on. They just point their fingers at the "others" and say they caused this action not me. It was their fault, if they would only....
        So what was your answer to the question? Are Christians Terrorists? (agreed they aren't the "first" terrorists)

10. aware profile image66
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ohh i see  i have a very different idea  of god. my idea of god is not the hands on type .

Thank You for playing.

11. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think we are all going to the same place. I'm just not sure if we'll need a sweater or a fan. Even if you are a religious person of any faith; how could you believe God would save you and not his child standing next to you? We are all going to dance in Heaven or Burn in Hell Together.

Fear not, life is not about making it to heaven or avoiding hell, it is about learning and growth, seasoning. We are all learning. God will not condemn you or anyone to eternal damnation for making mistakes. That doesn't mean go out into the world and reak havoc, commiting all manner of atrocities. Laws must still be followed, consequences for your actions are always there. It just means that God loves us, and understands us, and our shortcomings. I would have to say the next part of our journey isnt "heavenly retirement" so put away your fan and your sweater, and get ready for college, we still have much to learn after this. Mikel smile

1. Friendlyword profile image60

There you go!!!

smile

12. chambersgirl21 profile image61
      chambersgirl21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hell is not a literal place where people go to be tormented day and night. Hell is to die. I dont threaten my kids with it either, I show them the truth in the Bible and God guides them from their.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Ahhhhhhh - finally some relief! Finally a Christian on this site who sees the craziness of the belief in hell. Eternal damnation as a fate for most normal folks is totally contradictory with an all-powerful, all-compassionate, all-merciful God (not that I believe in God, but I just want people to have a theology that agrees with itself, if they are going to pressure or want others to believe it). A voice of reason... at last

I'm not understanding you, You say "Hell is to die"...??? In this thread, the fact that Hell is an implied threat is mentioned...

1. chambersgirl21 profile image61

All I am saying is that hell is not a literal place so why would I threaten anyone with having to go there if thats not what really happens when you die.
          God does not conduct the violence and terrorism in our world people who are under the devils thumb do.

Now that's a Christianity I can (almost) get on board with. (not being sarcastic btw)

Well what makes you not want to get on board?

I don't believe it, to be honest, I mean, none of it, I don't think, at any rate. Maybe I've travelled enough, and met enough people in the West, who clearly have *completely* different worldviews that they are *equally* sure is right.

I mean, I could believe in the Judaism of some of my relatives (I am not sure how much they even believe it actually), but I don't. Or I could believe in the Islam or Hinduism of some of my other friends or acqaintances.

Or, you know, the religion of the Aztecs.

But I don't think atheist-materialists can say they know for sure, either.

I guess, once you don't believe in a soul, and do trust your own conscience, well, the rest doesn't seem very necessary (for me).

But aren't most terrorists "believers"? Aren't most of them "killing for God"?

You can believe in God and not believe in Hell. I did that for years

I believe in both, if that makes sense? It talks about hell and hellfire in the Bible. People have turned the idea of hell into something completely different then what it is though.

But it only makes sense to me in the context of the rest of Christian belief if hell is reserved for extreeeemely bad cases

And that's where the misconceptions start (of heaven and hell)... Only bad people go to hell, really bad people go to worse Hell...etc

Then? What exactly is hell?

The wages for sin is death. Hell is referred to as the grave. When you die you go into the grave. Hell is never living again, not being able to live an eternity with Jesus Christ but simply being blotted out of the book of life.

13. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The first link is not working for me, but the second linked article has some enlightening text!
        Charles March, a self-described evangelical Christian and professor of religion at the University of Virginia, examined the speeches of numerous "influential evangelical ministers" in the six months prior to the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. According to Marsh, "The single most common theme among the war sermons appeared to be this: Our president is a real brother in Christ, and because he has discerned that God's will is for our nation to be at war against Iraq, we shall gloriously comply."

No one want to touch this? lol

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No one cares, you should be use to that!

No, not at all, I usually get responses. smile Even if it is from some smart ass! smile

1. profile image0

Better me than from some Dumb ass!

1. profile image0
                  lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol

Sorry, a lightweight Dumb ass then. If you were half as smart as you think you are you would be twice as smart as you are. smile

You rang?  wink

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    14. Frugal Fanny profile image60
      Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a christian-turned-pagan, and I find that there are a lot of converted pagans who turned away from christianity only to become very anti-christian.  I didn't turn away from it because I considered it to be hateful.  I turned away because the belief system just didn't gel with what I believed in.  I had no dislike for the religion itself.

Many of those anti-christians will go on and on about how millions of people have died under the banner of christianity, but remember this:  just as some christians persecute members of other faiths, so did those other faiths do their fair share of the persecuting.  The door swings both ways. Christians were among the first people cast into the lions' den. By what we today would call pagans (just a label, though).

So, before anyone whips out the tar brush, try looking at both sides of the story. smile

Nicely Stated.

1. Frugal Fanny profile image60
          Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

TY big_smile

YVW big_smile

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The only entity that demands obiedence is satan. Thats why he is called the advisary. Jesus came to show us we can choose what we want,"Free Agency". The offer was for more good not a threat of violence.

And what about the Pope, all priests have to swear an Oath of Obedience, so your saying the Pope is...I'll leave that blank. Jesus says in your Bible several times that you MUST Obey Jesus, or burn in hell forever...NO? "Only through me(Jesus) shall ye ..."

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Christianity isn't what one person says it is. If you try to figure out what Christianity is from these forums, of course you come up with something horrifying. But the vast majority of Christians just try to lead decent lives and don't have time to show their butts on the internet.

There's way too many loudmouths representing 'Christianity' these days who are doing the faith no favors.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OW PAM!

Well Said.

1. Presigo profile image61
        Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The "faith" is not a disease or something that you have or dont that is spread. Faith is an INDIVIDUAL experience that can be shared, or not. Those of faith have a very unique and individual experiences with Christ. So I don't agree that the "faith" is subject to people doing it favors. God is within us, the church is a group of people with varrying degrees of faith, an entirely different phenomonon.

3. Friendlyword profile image60

The problem is the good, decent Christian sit on their butts and dont say anything to the loudmouths. Dont they realize how much they outnumber the Christian that make the faith look bad?

Yes it's true -- sounds exactly right; I guess this is a universal problem, when it comes to religions... wink (a tiny but highly visible minority making the countless millions of normal, sensible ones look like fanatics.......)

4. eovery profile image61
      eoveryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pam you hit the nail on straight on the head with this comment! I totally agree.

5. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I am really having a hard time visualizing myself as a terrorist as I bring a dinner to a needy family. Maybe the family I adopt at Christmas just accepts the gifts and groceries because they are afraid not to?
      My point - Most christians are like what PGrundy described- decent people living lives. Holly

From that point of view, so are most "terrorists"

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What exactly does that mean? You think I am a terrorist?

No what I meant by that was terrorists don't treat their families bad, when they serve dinner to their children it isn't with a side of c-4. They are nice to their own of course, as you said most people that exist are just the good honest hardworking, taking care of their-own kind people. Terrorists included. It is when they are confronted with someone or something not their own, someone or something that disagrees with them that they pull out the c-4, or the sarcasm, depending on the level of terrorism.

Well, I have never touched c-4 whether it was before or after feeding my family or any other family dinner. I have demonstrated I can disagree with people and still not touch the c-4! I admit to having been sarcastic at times - but that would make you a terrorist just in your responses on this thread. As for coersion - I have raised a child and confessed to having used various means to encourage compliance with rules as a child.
              Am I a terrorist? Are you? Holly

Holly, thank you. For your honesty and your open mindedness. By the definition of terrorism and I quote,
              "terâ‹…rorâ‹…ism  /ˈtÉ›rəˌrɪzÉ™m/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [ter-uh-riz-uhm]
              –noun 1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
              2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
              3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government. "
              I would have to say Yes, I am or have been a terrorist. My children are almost as hard headed as me, many a times I have loomed over them saying things that terrorized them into compliance. Yes, I have as a member of the United States Military threatened and intimidated foreign nationals in order to coerce them into compliance for political purposes.

Does that make me a suicide bomber?, a flunky of Osama?

NO

My point to this forum was and is... What is true at one level of understanding may not be true at another. The aspects of God at one level, said in a certain way (God is an alien for example) are true at that level and while still technically true at a higher level, they aren't as true. So yes Christianity the organization is a terrorist organization, but it is also an organization made up of people that aren't. Christianity though ultimately an organization of good has a bad side as well. Mikel smile

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

In any religion, you will always find some who are dogmatic and threaten you with an eternity of pain and suffering if you don't obey. It is certainly not limited to Christianity.

It's sad to imagine they are instilling the same irrational fear in their children, but it clearly does happen.

6. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

No, I think actually, Christians were the first live entertainment, as in the Coliseum with the lions.

7. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't say Christians were the first terrorists, but I reckon they have contributed significantly to terrorism. I weep for the knowledge they extinguished in Alexandria.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I cant believe this thread, christians are not terrorist, they never used guns or coercive ways,

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey COLT, Steelers lost so I am mad, GOD didnt hear my prayers, LOL LOL LOL

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True Christians would not, But Politions, and world leaders, have professed their motives for wars to be in the name of God.
      The Cruscales was proclamed to be in the name of God.
                      BUT
         THESE  WERE NOT TRUE CHRISTIANS.

THIS WAS A FALSE  RELIGION

false christians you mean

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was also speaking of the Crucades....
            Which was actually a political war...
            Faught by false Christians in the name of God.

ok

It is the same Bible today as then? no?

1. wsp2469 profile image60
          wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

to answer another yes or no question here in hopes of clearing this up so y'all can go write hubs: NO it's not the same Bible

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

You have heard of the Crusades, the Holy Wars... The Salem Witch hunts where Christians burned women at the stake? The Spanish Inquisition... Stoning people to death for not following "God's" law... People that were killed for Blasphemy... Need I continue?

4. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

No, maybe not guns -- swords though... (not that I agree with the assertion either -- Christianity has inspired both horrific acts and great acts of serene goodness; what's new; all things are usually a mixed bag)

1. profile image0

I found a rational person!

Truly, ALL things have a good and a bad side... well said.

9. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

The only person who can speak for "God" is God.

Anyone here in these Forums seen "God"... not felt or read about or... actually SEEN.  And where were you when that happened?

Religion is a creation of man.

If you want to try and understand God... just try and unravel the mysteries in Quantum Physics.

1. profile image0
      Lucky13agogoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

and perfect combed hair lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By actually seen you presume that God is a man? God is not an entity of human form. God is by definition everything... so technically by "seeing" anything at all you have "seen" a part of God. God is too big and too complex for humanity to comprehend let alone Identify as that guy over there.

Religion is a creation of Humanity, God however isn't. Proof that God exists by my logic: If there is a lowest form of life, then there has to be a highest form of life. Humanity has named that entity (lots of things, but for today lets use) God.
      Understanding everything in existence is a good way to grow in the knowledge of God and what God is. smile

I like your belief, I think it is pretty strong to put that out there. I think most religionist will say you only worship "idols" if you don't go by the bible because this is what it teaches. I also have faith in the possibility of creation, but it's not absolute. I'm not sure if absolutes are more or less limiting.

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Ha both big_smile

1. profile image0

Deleted

1. profile image0

prepare for landing, please fasten your seat belts, put your chair in the upright position and distinguish all illegal substances, we're landing so we can take off again lol

2. profile image0

Deleted

1. profile image0

lol

Hubpages would love that

1. profile image0

are we in a religious forum?  hope so lol lol

1. profile image0

Deleted

1. profile image0

oh cool cool

1. profile image0

Deleted

1. profile image0

stand by

1. profile image0

good for this thread lol

1. profile image0

Deleted

3. aware profile image66
        awareposted 14 years ago

no their not

4. profile image0

Hey St. Marine, this is exactly yhe type of crap that causes me to be insensitive.

5. aware profile image66
        awareposted 14 years ago

i thought this was basically a yes or no question. im will to bet this .if i posted a yes or no forum , meaning responders would have to only post yes or no answers. it couldn't be done .

6. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years ago

no shit, huh?

7. jobister profile image60
        jobisterposted 14 years ago

People have been fighting and trying to covet from someone else since human beings have lived. In my opinion religion is a just a tool to control the masses. Man created God to get others to fear him.  People only fear what they don't completely understand.

8. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years ago

The First Persecution, Under Nero, A.D. 67

The Second Persecution, Under Domitian, A.D. 81

The Third Persecution, Under Trajan, A.D. 108

The Fourth Persecution, Under Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, A.D. 162

The Fifth Persecution, Commencing with Severus, A.D. 192

The Sixth Persecution, Under Maximus, A.D. 235

The Seventh Persecution, Under Decius, A.D. 249

The Eighth Persecution, Under Valerian, A.D. 257

The Ninth Persecution Under Aurelian, A.D. 274

The Tenth Persecution, Under Diocletian, A.D. 303

Fox's Book of Martyrs

9. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years ago

Oh geez, ***sigh*** terrorists? sad

Is that "I'm cute" for no you don't think christians are terrorists?

1. AEvans profile image71
            AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do I look like a terrorist? big_smile  I don't believe Christians were the first terrorists but it is only my opinion. :::::::::::::smile

No in my opinion you don't look like a Terrorist, even though they have used little girls, even cute ones, as bomb carriers, so you could be.
              I agree that Christians weren't the first terrorists, but that technically they are terrorists, or have been.
              the definition of terrorism:
              Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

1. AEvans profile image71
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see where you are going with this you believe that in the old testament they placed fear into others to change there beliefs? mmmmm.... I wasn't there in those times but I do not believe that any of those people from the old testament were cohersed but that is just my belief, just like you have yours. As for me being a terrorist highly unlikely I can't even kill a spider in our own backyard. lolol big_smile

2. luvintkandtj profile image66
                luvintkandtjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so true

10. profile image0

Well here some more crap that deserves sarcasm!

1. aguasilver profile image70

Is that me you are talking about sneakers? hmm

1. profile image0

No way! I was approached by one of the hubbers about my sarcasm and I just wanted him to see the kind of senseless questions that set me off. Everything you've written is right on target. Sorry for the confusion.smile

1. aguasilver profile image70

Just wanted to check I hadn't offended you! smile

1. profile image0

Can't happen!smile

What crap are you referencing?

1. profile image0

If you have to ask me that theres no way we can possibly communicate.

OK set and match to the closed minded.

11. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years ago

We must remember that our NEW Testament is but 27 letters written by six authors that was chosen out of a possible dozens of writers and hundreds of writings. These were the only ones that could be unanimously agreed upon as being worthy when building the Universal Church. There had to have been many important truths that were not accepted by some of the members that were voting upon their acceptance into the canon.

As Paul Harvey used to say, I want to hear "the rest of the story"  And much has been lost through translation and even more through interpretation.

This is all that we have; and I am sure that enough of the truth is still in there. This is why we must not interpret  what is left.

12. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years ago

If I see that someone has a tire almost flat and getting ready to pull out onto a freeway, am I a terrorist for letting them know that they might be killed in a crash if they don't put air in their tire?

I was only kidding above Aquasilver. wink

Just don't bring them dinner if they are hungry smile Bad joke from my post above. Sorry - I am human.

LOL (i am glad your human Holly... smile )

2. marinealways24 profile image59

You are looking at other peoples tires that are low in air while yours is riding on the rim.

1. profile image0

I expect something like this from you. It is a simple yes/no question, but yet you are still unable to give an answer.

Those who talk constantly are unable to listen. SirDent

You didn't think that was funny? I thought since you like to write in parables and analogies, I would add one as well. Sure, tell them if the tire is low, just don't tell them to fill it up or die and go to hell.

2. aguasilver profile image70

Good answer SirDent, I gotta get some sleep now, it's 4am where I am! see you later... lets see what reactions are tomorrow.

13. Bovine Currency profile image60
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

loL! the first terrorists?  Hardly... terrorists yeah but not the first.  War and money and all that mumbo jumbo science, buddha, peace, love, flowers, fairies, unicorns, its all magical thinking.  Power serves itself, who holds power is only ever for a time.

MOoooOOo

14. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

@ AdsenseStrategies

Okay this is a bit off topic, well a lot off topic but it will just take a sec.  AdsenseStrategies have you ever known anyone that got their Google Adsense account reinstated after it's been terminated.  Mine was about three years ago.  Or does anyone else know?

Signed Mike the Christian terrorist http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll149/squal179/smiley/peace.gif

Not sure, but could you not perhaps assume a new identity? (It would depend how much info they needed that had to be correct, I guess...)

1. Make  Money profile image67
            Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just today I read a blog post about the recent Google slap that said to assume a new identity with Google I'd have to get a new computer, a new IP address and sign up with a friend or relative's name then risk losing all the commissions if it was found out.  It also said that it is next to impossible to get an adsense account reinstated.  I was just wondering if anyone has heard about anyone doing it.  No big deal.  I figured I'd ask you with your name and all.

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
              Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could you not get around this with a company account?

1. Make  Money profile image67
                Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That might not be a bad idea BC.  I see there are a few hubs written about this so I'll have to check them out.  Thanks

15. Shalini Kagal profile image54
        Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

No!!! That's the real Hal Licino's profile. This one's yours:
        http://hubpages.com/profile/HaI Licino

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
          DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago
        2. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

yep i'm a terriost...trying to make people f*cking happy and doing what I can to help others, to show them respect when they deserve it, to care and be kind. Yep you hit it there. (yes I am being sarcastic!)

Thank You for playing, anger management classes are a really good thing.

1. profile image0
              Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow saying I need anger managment when you don't even know me. You are a jerk you know that.

again Thank You for playing.

2. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

1 hub, 4 weeks here, and 11 followers. guess you aren't here to have ppl read only start stuff in the forums and be rude to ppl you don't know. nice...hope you have fun with no one following you.

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

You guys should try and find a way to defuse this -- it is one thing to tug tk's tail (and maybe get nipped for it), but both of you are obviously decent people (despite Mikel's "deliberately provocative" title...). There's no need for heavy-duty stuff when people are raw. TK, and many others have thick skins -- no need to break the skin on this site, right? (just tying to help)

TK?

Tksensei (who always provokes, whenever possible, at any rate) -- it's just that she has a thread about some family problems right now, so I imagine she's pretty raw..... (you didn't know, of course; but I thought I'd mention it...)

I think you may be thinking of crazed, Holly
                  PS Crazed is a very kind soul smile

It's my fault - I am being confusing; I was having a bit of a bustup with tksensei on another thread, and popped in here to see the bustup going on here; tksensei is perfectly capable of standing up to bullets -- he likes it in fact, I a m sure of it; but Crazed is a much gentler soul, going through a rough time. I'll try to be clearer in future smile

smile

4. profile image0

Yeah! But they sucked so they were crucified and fed to the lions. The leaders were rounded up at least one was sawed in half and rest were executed as well, except one who was shipped to an island. He was taking acid and had abunch of halucinations we call Revalations all of which are just fantasy. So, all you that hate Chistians you have a great reason to because they're just abunch of followers of felons on death row. Now wasn't that easy?

1. profile image54
              (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but the Christians soon had their revenge, a thousand fold or more, evidently.

1. profile image0

Are you referring to their first battle with satan's minions(crusades) or just through persuit of religious freedom?

5. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

no they arnt

What aren't? Oh I understand, nevermind, no they aren't the first terrorists.

6. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

uhh the forum question?

Ok, they aren't the "first" terrorists, what about the rest of the forum question?

7. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

there was more?

8. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

playing? care to elaborate?

9. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

heres the thing christians do not own god nor do they represent god people who dislike their ideas buy into them more than they do therfore they attack what they see as fictional ideas as if they are real

10. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
            Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

...*sigh*...

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having issues are you? lol lol

Just tired of repeating the same old worn out arguments.

1. Cagsil profile image70
                  Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that. big_smile smile

smile

11. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Mikel you strike me as a man who is pretty honest and wants honest answers to honest questions. As far as I can see the problem for you is a feeling of dread that the idea of Hell inspires. It might be worth asking yourself where those ideas came from and whether the person who passed them on to you really had your interest (or anyone else's true interest at heart). Often we are obliged to work out issues for other people, especially our family members.

If I have completely misunderstood what is going on, forgive me- its late.

You have, and your forgiven...peace and have great dreams.(I have no dread, I don't fear hell, I'm sure it doesn't even exist. I LOVE honest answers to honest questions, I prefer a hard truth to an easy lie, everytime.)I hope to talk to you again after you have slept...

12. restoremyheart profile image59
            restoremyheartposted 14 years ago

Many people call what's good, evil.  The majority of the world would like to say Christians are haters.  True Christians, will be careful, what they say, what they do, to not offend others.

It doesn't matter if they are what you consider a "true Christian" or not or how careful you think or say they are. Everyone is or has been and continues to be a hypocrite at one time or another. If any were "true Christians", forgiveness probably wouldn't be neccessary from them.

I agree that what many people have been taught is evil, really isn't evil. I think your using the words "True Christians" to mean "Good People". In using the words True Christians that way your excluding all the "Good People" that are of different faiths(religious organizations).
              Christianity doesn't own goodness, a person can be a Muslim, Jew, or an Atheist, and still be a "Good Person". One of the reasons why "Christians" are disliked, is this belief by them that "True Christians" are the only "Good People". The belief that anyone can become "Good People" if only they would just become "Christian".

1. restoremyheart profile image59
                restoremyheartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't matter what religion or if a person is a good person, or not, or a Christian or not.  None of us are perfect, even when we try not to make mistakes or offend someone, we sometimes do.  I don't see a pope, or a preacher, or anyother human being, to be a Saint.  Because we aren't we seem to fall short somewhere!  I wasn't trying to say that only what some believe are True Christians, are the only good people.  I was saying even people who say they are Christians, sometimes think some things they are doing are for the good, and they are deceived, which anyone of us can or have been their at one time or another. LOL, thanks for commenting smile Wishing you Blessings!

I absolutely agree, there are NO perfect people. Lots of people with good intentions make mistakes. Believing that what they are doing is good and helpful when in actuality it is being hurtful, or prideful. I am a good example of all that. I try and do nice things, sometimes my actions aren't successful. I come across as arrogant, or as a know it all. I don't mean to, but it happens. My personality is somewhat of an aquired taste, wink ... Wishing you and yours, lots of good things... Peace and Love. Mikel

Doesn't this stuff give you stomach ulcers? I'm either going to have stop reading these threads, or give up coffee.... sad

LOL, No I enjoy it. Sometimes the repetition of the same old arguement again and again gets old, but for the most part it is enjoyable for me. Besides I LOVE coffee!

13. profile image0
            shazwellynposted 14 years ago

one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist!

What is truth to one person may only be partially right to another. It may even be completely wrong to a third. A persons point of view, or perspective is essential in the basis of that person's "reality" (or truth). wink

14. profile image0
            Denno66posted 14 years ago

Wasn't that first used in the um, never mind.....

15. profile image0

Thats right we're terrorists! We have San Francisco surrounded and we're headed for castro st.! We have nothing but bad intentions!

Well at least your honest about it. I wouldn't have actually stated my terrorist attack plan in public however, maybe you were home sick the day they covered that in terrorism 101 class??  wink

1. profile image0

Damn! I blew it again!smile

16. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

answer is still no

He Never had to endure death, just because he is not here on earth doesn't make him dead

17. aware profile image66
            awareposted 14 years ago

whos this he?

18. chambersgirl21 profile image61
            chambersgirl21posted 14 years ago

Anyways have kids to feed.

Was fun. big_smile

19. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years ago

I saw a plane full of Lutherans fly into a Mosque just the other day!

You need to read the whole thread before we continue... I'm tired of repeating the whole thing.

1. profile image0

I didn't ask you to repeat anything, I said what I had to say and moved on, I hit it and quit it!

Thank You for playing.

1. profile image0

Sawright

smile

2. profile image0

I knew there was something about Lutherans I didn't like.

Yea they must be terrible pilots...lol

1. profile image0

They went to the wrong flight school.

smile

20. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

hmm:

thinking?

21. profile image0
            Home Girlposted 14 years ago

We live in a cosmic era of science fiction becoming mundane reality and we still looking for labels to each other, WHY? Can we just coexist pecefully without blaming each other and accusing  the past, present and future? We all people and want basically the same. Life is too short to waste it trying to find who is better and who is the best? Am I right or am I right?

22. Cleanclover profile image42
            Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

yes they are wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)