Why is it so difficult to make permanent, positive changes in one's life? Is the

Jump to Last Post 51-66 of 66 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

"Old habits die hard" is a truism.
    We are creatures of habit. Many books recommend replacing an old bad habit with a new good one as a way to change.
    Also, make sure you haven't got "friends" dragging you back to old bad habits.

2. aliamisbah profile image61
    aliamisbahposted 9 years ago

yes it is possible if the positive thing is in your behavior too then its easy to come positive change in yours love one...

3. DeepThought258238 profile image63
    DeepThought258238posted 9 years ago

Yes, making changes can be very difficult. The reason why is that we are all born imperfect and have the tendency to sin. The Apostle Paul under inspiration said it best in Romans 7:21-23 - "I find, then, this law in my case: When I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. I really delight in law of God according to the man that I am within, but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sins law that is in my body." So don't feel bad if that is the way that you are feeling, we all go through this battle.

You ask how can we make successful permanent changes? Well it starts with reading the bible believe it or not. Psalms 1:1-3 states:

"Happy is the man who does not walk according to the advice of the wicked and does not stand on the path of sinners and does not sit in the seat of scoffers. But his delight is in the law of Jehovah (God's name) and he reads his law in an undertone day and night. He will be like a tree planted by streams of water, a tree that produces fruit in it's season, the foliage which does not wither, and everything he does will succeed."

yes reading the bible daily and meditating on what you are reading will help you to make changes and keep them on a permanent basis. However bible reading is not enough, we have to do more than that. If you would like to know more reach out to me via my profile and send me an email.

4. LINDA JOSEPH profile image58
    LINDA JOSEPHposted 9 years ago

I would like to give a simple answer to your question. There are changes in our behaviour, i.e, human beings , even animals have the tendancy to respond according to the situation.  This is what a human behaviour is and I would also like to say that , at many situations a bad change can lead to good,i.e,it may have best impact than a good change. Thats why we say,"All that happen is for good."

5. Soumya Mukherjee profile image67
    Soumya Mukherjeeposted 9 years ago

Positive or negative attributes in one's life are relative. It depends on how you look at life. If you believe whatever you do or whatever happens to your life is ultimately good, then everything can seem to be positive. Change itself is a dynamic process and if  we believe in the law of nature then change cannot happen in the backward direction as time cannot flow backward so change always has a positive aspect and we just need to know that. If we become little less utilitarian in living life and can just let ourselves go with the flow of life, it can be very simple to cope with any change that life offers and sticking to one positive change can be child's play. Perhaps, what you consider negative may also appear positive!

6. profile image0
    AKChenoweth2014posted 9 years ago

I believe in setting and accomplishing short term goals in order to achieve a long term one.  What I find is that the positive permanent effect then happens naturally and you almost condition yourself gradually to achieving this permanent transformation...

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

You can help yourself by practicing letting go of things and influences that deflect you from your goal. Let go of attachments to things.

Alter your perception. If you want to stop smoking, get rid of all the paraphernalia that go with smoking. Think of eating the ashes and cigarette butts after you've finished smoking. If you also binge eat on ice cream, top your ice cream with cigarette ashes and butts. Things like this change your perception of the items you may crave.

If drinking is a problem, then binge drink until you're puking sick. Keep a sober friend nearby to help keep you safe. Some have found such a technique a lifelong motivation to help them avoid drink.

Stay away from people who try to derail your positive changes.

The biggest help I've found so far, has been Kabbalah.

Kabbalists are the ones who wrote the Bible (Pentateuch, at least). They wrote it in code. It's not physical stories, but symbols for spiritual forces and attitudes. By practicing receiving things, not for the benefit of yourself, but for the benefit of others and for God, you correct your selfishness to altruism. By tackling this inner attitude, you get to the heart of all difficulty and suffering. A taste of what this all means may be found in the short film at,

http://perceivingreality.com

Things persist because there is a lie attached to them.

As Christ said, know the truth and the truth will set you free. The very powerful aid, here, is knowing that if something continues to persist, then you have not yet found the truth of it. Search with your heart. Desire to find the answers. God will give you His help, if you truly ask with a deep and profound need. This is the stuff of miracles.

8. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

It takes much discipline,time and effort. Notes in obvious places are great for me. To let others know you are making changes in cooperates others support and even keeps them from making it more difficult if they are around you and choose not to make these changes.You must hold yourself accountable, and remember relapse is not unusual. Just restart right away.It is human nature to take the easy route. The other routes take hiking boots, and a well stocked back pack! I work in a Treatment Prison, where we prepare Men for their new lives upon release . These are part of the things we work on with them, and help them to be responsible for their success.

9. profile image52
    sukheshposted 9 years ago

This is not only the question arised by you and everyone may have got this question once in their life time.The answer is as follows.
    philosophically nothing in the world is permanent neither you,nor me nor sun nor earth.How can you expect permanent positive changes in one's life?However it is possible to bring positive changes in one's life.But those changes will be there until he/she is dedicated to it.So start loving yourself or people as they are.Better not to expect any changes.Instead start motivating him/her/yourself to change which may be solution to your question

10. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 9 years ago

Some changes occur overnight. However, most take place over a period of time. We have to be patient with ourselves while still being persistent with our goals. It is also good to have people around you to help hold you accountable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we don't do anything on our own strength alone. I ask God to step in and help me change.

1. Penny G profile image60
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As a community we can be good brothers keepers, and help those through change. God will be right there!

11. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 9 years ago

Learn how to make those life changes stick! read more

12. Lara L Bayley profile image58
    Lara L Bayleyposted 9 years ago

I believe we can make positive changes in our life, we have to overcome our fear, often fear of failure. Having a positive outlook on life, and making a decision, and stick to it, this will make you feel stronger, plus make you more of a confident person.

13. Chucktowngirl profile image57
    Chucktowngirlposted 9 years ago

The main thing is to be focus. You must be seriously be willing to tune the outside world out for a moment, that means family and friends. You must seriously focus on yourself and what it is that you are trying to achieve, not just for the min but until you have successfully gotten to where you want to be. Once you are there you will be able to enjoy others. The key is not to be distracted.

14. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 9 years ago

I think it is difficult for us to make positive changes stick because many times they may start from something negative.  Say losing weight for instance.  We know we will be healthier in the long run, but what do we have to do to reach our goal?  We have to schedule time throughout our day and make a routine of exercising and eating different.  Then we still have the battle of seeing what "skinny" is in the media, on television and in our coworkers. We allow the world's views takeover our own views, so we end up giving up on the change before we get over the halfway mark.

15. dailytop10 profile image87
    dailytop10posted 9 years ago

Dedication is really hard if you lack the right motivation. Don't motivate yourself on something that will fade in the course of time like your feelings toward someone. The best way is to do it for your own. In the end, regardless what might happen, you'll always be on the same body. Take care of yourself and God bless you.

16. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 7 years ago

Nothing is permanent in all living things. Movement is the nature of life and movement is not only physical but in all areas. Time factor, meaning the ticking of the clock moves from a second to minute to hours to days and so forth so is everything that goes with time, thoughts, feelings, people, environment, among others. An adult cannot anymore wear his/her shoes when he/she was one year old even if that shoes are still in good condition. It zeroes  down to the adage "nothing is permanent in life" or "change is the only thing that never change." When my 35 year old son dumped his wife who he married when he was 17 because she was pregnant, I asked him why. his simple answer was "Mama, the 17 year-old Reynan (my son's name) who married at that age is not the same person you are talking to now...he had no regrets marrying his ex-wife because it bore a beautiful daughter and two beautiful boy-gitl twins but he just cannot love his wife anymore to the point of staying with her as his wife. His needs changed, his philosophy changed, his outlook in life changed but his wife was unable to cope with such growth and development in my son's personality...he plainly had outgrown her in all aspects...Growth and development are factors of definite change; the environment and time that influence growth and development are sure balls to hit change and a lot more. It is just a fact of life; the rich and prosperous businessman gets bankrupt in a slight mistake in decision-making, love flies out the window when the stomach is empty, and many, many more...life is just a series of events and changes; therefore there is just no recommended formula to change nature...Movement is life and vice versa.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)