Is Life Unfair to You?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Rehana Stormme profile image72
    Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years ago

So many people complain that life is unfair. Do you think life is unfair to you and why?

1. kittythedreamer profile image75
      kittythedreamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think life is "unfair" to me at all. I live in the United States, have a steady job, have a wonderful family, food in my belly, clothes on my back, a car to drive, money in my bank account (not a ton but $$$ nevertheless) and I can pay my bills...most of the time. What's unfair about that? Of course life has its hardships, but we wouldn't be able to learn anything if everything was good all of the time.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your question is solely based on the individual's knowledge and wisdom, which is part and parcel, of their perception.

You could have a millionaire who has almost everything and someone who is actually riches, both could say that life is unfair in some aspect.

It boils down to how they perceive "quality of life".

A poor person would say that(more often than not) life is not fair. A rich person could say the same thing, because someone who is richer(or even less as rich) has a better life.

To determine whether or not "Life is unfair or fair", completely depends on one's understanding of "quality of life", which is completely based on their individual Knowledge(including life experiences) and Wisdom, which forms their perception. If they lack a specific understanding or wisdom, then their perception is going to be skewed and most likely say that life isn't fair.

Edit: My answer to your question is no.

Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very good reply, thanks!

2. Rehana Stormme profile image72

Very good reply, thanks!

3. Rehana Stormme profile image72

Very good reply, thanks!

4. Rehana Stormme profile image72

Very good reply, thanks!

5. Rehana Stormme profile image72

Very good reply, thanks!

1. Cagsil profile image70

Thank you. smile And, you're welcome. smile

My goodness, I have no idea why I posted the same comment a dozen times lol! >_>

3. CoachingbyDeborah profile image60
      CoachingbyDeborahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question.  I do not recall where it was stated that life was "fair".   believe life is what we make it for the most part.  Having a positive attitude or a "glass half full" optimism helps. But then...there are those things out of our control, and the one's we tend to beat ourselves up over.  Again, not about "fair" but about "life".  Life is a mystery and a path is there for us, and decisions daily on which fork in the road to follow, which road to take and how quickly.   We have all the tools to control the controllables, however, those outside of our scope of influence end up being what "life" is and it sometimes is unfair. For me, I have my family and my children are what make life always fair as they are such a gift.  Thankful for our health and for the blessings in our lives.
      A positive attitude goes a long way, and letting go of the "baggage" or what was once unfair, really can change the dynamic.

4. Rehana Stormme profile image72

I think there's no doubt about it - Life is very unfair. But we should live positively and work towards success no matter what the odds.

5. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think life is unfair to me. I think my bank manager is smile

6. SuperheroSales profile image57
      SuperheroSalesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Life is very unfair and it bothers me.  I'm a Libra and I like things to be even for everyone, so I hate to see people with disadvantages in life or people that seem to have bad things repeatedly happen to them that are out of their control.

However, that's the fun of life.  If nothing went wrong we wouldn't be able to use our creativity to come up with solutions on how to deal with the issues that come up.  We are constantly challenged, but that causes us to learn and grow day in and day out.

7. Marcy-Lipton profile image60
      Marcy-Liptonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This question reminds me of an old Buddhist parable:

There was once an old man who had a son. The young man went out to the wilderness and found several Horses/Mustangs roaming free. The young man then brought them to his father's farm.

The townspeople said how lucky the young man was but his father replied "We will see ".

The next day the young man broke his arm after he fell off one of the horses. The townspeople said the young man was unlucky, but his father replied "We will see".

The next day, The Army was going from town to town drafting in recruits. The Army Wasn't able to draft the young man into the army because he had a broken arm.

The townspeople said that the young man was very lucky, but his father replied "We will see"

And so on....

The idea of fair or unfair is not a holistic view and as creatures that are forced to live in the moment, we humans are quick to judge something as fair or unfair.

8. profile image51
      umer-26may1987posted 12 years agoin reply to this

life is so unfair because i have no facility to study and work.

1. profile image51
        umer-26may1987posted 12 years agoin reply to this

please mail me @ umer_26may1987@yahoo.com if anyone help me so please reply me at this mail.

9. pearpandas profile image60
      pearpandasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think life is unfair.  It is more unfair to some people, and some people are more lucky.  I have had a lot of hardships vs. my friends.  If we weren't taught that life was fair, I think it would help a lot.

10. cmontijo profile image62
      cmontijoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ehhh, first of all hi... and yes I consider that it is a bit unfair since my dad got sick 18 years ago with Myasthenia Gravis...what are the odds... and well it haven't been easy seen him going from healthy no not that healthy etc. The good thing about it is that he have been able to see us grow every day because he got Social Security since then, we have had our struggles but we are ok, we are a happy family.

11. user999 profile image61
      user999posted 12 years agoin reply to this

life is not my master to be unfair to me, I am the master of my life

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I get by. I managed to be happy and try my best to overcome lifes unpleasantness

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Life is unfair to everybody. Therefore, it is fair to everybody. Besides, the universe isn't run on fairness. The universe doesn't care. Especially with that asteroid headed our way...

I liked your answer to this qn. Omg, which asteroid??

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's currently on the other side of the sun where we can't see it...

3. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I think life has been terribly unfair to me.  It’s blessed me with so much more than I need.

1. Cagsil profile image70

lol

LOL! Very unfair!

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Actually, life is totally unfair in the sense that we are all born with a random set of genetic deficiencies that we have to deal with our entire lives. Some of these deficiencies being more serious than others. Then again, since it's random, it's fair. Never mind...

The randomness of it doesn't make it fair. Some people 'randomly' have more of the good things, while others 'randomly' have the bad stuff!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, actually life is unfair. Always has been. Always will be.

5. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Life is neutral.  Change is inevitable, everything changes at some point.  Acceptance is the key.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

So far, my life has been better than I deserve.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Life is unfair - we all have to die. Other than that - for each his own. So far I am lucky - I am alive!

8. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

Sometimes, I feel life is unfair but when I look around the world, I think to myself - If I was born in another part of the world, it could have been worse.

So, I try to stay positive and hope one day LadyLuck visits me. smile

9. starme77 profile image75
    starme77posted 12 years ago

I say it dosn't matter if your rich or poor - life shouldn't be measured by material things... It's what you make of it yourself that makes it good or bad so its not life thats unfair its the persons personal decisions about how to handle situations that makes it fair or unfair to themselves. and for me... having been adopted twice...first to a drug adict where my mother was murdered by age six ... my uncle murdered by age twelve.... a twenty year marriage to a drug addict ... an eighteen year old son who turned me into dhs for child abuse after he beat the hell out of me all because he didnt want to do a chore ... I was left with a mess of things when I found my mother and father in law being neglected and the mail had not been opened for three years - oh crap that paperwork sucked!  I'm still dealing with that three years later.. my mother in law though, she is still with me she is 87 years old now and I stay home and take care of her while figuring out how to get my studying done so I can open a tax office next year - and that is only part of my story - Is life unfair - nope - not to me - I decided to take care of my mother in law and open a tax office and yes, I'm freaking poor too - but happy happy no matter what - so if ya feel down and out and all depressed and think life is unfair simply choose and decide the things that will make you happy and do them. smile smile

Starme77, I salute you for refusing to give up hope! You are a survivor and you keep going against the odds no matter what life throws at you. Your story is very inspirational.

10. princess g profile image61
    princess gposted 12 years ago

Life isn't meant to be fair. It's just life.

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Life is not obliged to be fair in a moral sense. I can't say I see the universe applying the laws of physics anything other than evenly.

12. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Life is what you make of it...attitude makes all the difference as you go through your day to day living...

True. Whether life is fair or not, it is what you make it and nothing less.

13. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Participate Joyfully In  The Sorrows  Of Life.
    Campbell Quote .
    Ray

Agreed. To live is to participate. If you don't participate, whether passively or actively, then you are not living.

14. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

Bad things happen to bad and good people alike.  It is how people cope with life's problems that make the difference.  I know some people who have everything, money, a lovely home, a family and partner, take good holidays every year.  Yet they are always unhappy.  I know others, who have terrible health problems, no work or money, never have a holiday, yet they always seem to be happy.  It is mostly a matter of mind, rather than circumstances that make us happy or unhappy.

1. starme77 profile image75
      starme77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

exactly smile

So much truth in what you said. Life can throw anything at you, the only thing you have control over is the way YOU choose to react to it. We should work on improving what we CAN control.

15. Actively Awesome profile image58
    Actively Awesomeposted 12 years ago

I think some people think life is unfair because they feel that they were shorted somehow...  maybe not being born with the privileges or opportunities that someone else might have had.  Regardless, I think all people are faced with tough situations and how someone deals with those situations is what makes them a tougher or better person.  Someone people are born with what might be considered an advantage, but they could still have all the same problems as anyone else.

16. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Life has been fair to me, but I do wonder how fair it is for a child to be born to a mother with no food or shelter, or to be seriously impaired by those around them. That doesn't seem fair. sad

1. starme77 profile image75
      starme77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

go read my post a couple up - I was that child

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, me too...  maybe not quite as extreme as starme77, but still harsh none the less.  My mother was a young widow, first generation immigrant who taught herself English reading children's books to me while she worked cleaning appartments.  She was alcoholic and possibly mentally ill.  She was the super in our appartment building because we could not have paid rent.  I have ADD and learning disabilities.  Mom passed away when I was 11, my father's relatives who absolutely hated my mother didn't want anything to do with me so into foster care I went, where I was sexually assaulted.  At 16 I ran away to San Francisco where I experienced the joys of living on the streets till I was lucky enough to hook up with an elderly "gentleman" who changed the course of my life.  I don't look at my early experiences as being unfair, not at all, if anything, they shaped my personality, my character, and my outlook on life.  People think just because they may have to struggle or because they don't have money and all that money can buy, that life is unfair.  Having money comes with its own problems including everybody wanting to take advantage of and leach off of you, never knowing if someone wants to be with you for yourself or just for what they can get from you, and after 4 failed marriages, never knowing if someone loves you, or just your bank account.  At 29 I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, it was the strength that I gained in my rough childhood that provided me with the courage and determination to beat that cancer.  It's not about what we get or have in our lives, it's about what we do with it that counts.

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I applaud you for that, Disturbia!
          I am sure you'll beat all bad stuff that might come to you. I AM a first generation immigrant. I came to Canada with $5 in my pocket and 3 small kids. I do not drink, smoke and I am not mentally ill. I am too stubborn to let myself down. I'll beat it too, whatever comes - poverty, disease, whatever. I was never hungry in my old country, I am not going to be the one in Canada, no way.  I f you lose hope, you lose everything.

I agree. If you lose hope, you have no reason to live.

You're story is touching, Disturbia. People like you give me the hope to live another day.

17. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

No, life is not unfair to me.  I have good times and bad times, but hey, that is life.

I just love reading everyone's comments and attitude towards life. I'd say, Life is unfair - but hey, that's life.

18. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Yes I guess so but I think I can turn it around.  A little help of medicine and positive caring friends' support can make a whole lot of difference!

19. kerlynb profile image88
    kerlynbposted 12 years ago

It was, until I changed my mindset. I figured, life is unfair for so many people so I should try to just accept what I went through, learn from it, and just move on.  Would want to learn from my experiences and use them as motivations for me to become better.  Was lucky to have read great works by excellent counselors and self-help gurus.  The fact that I have people who love me also helped a great deal.

20. MissE profile image78
    MissEposted 12 years ago

Whine-1-1 Call the whaaaambulance....smile Sometimes life isn't fair, sometimes it is.  Life is what you make of it.  You can let your circumstances define you, or you can define yourself by rising above them.

21. Lord De Cross profile image69
    Lord De Crossposted 12 years ago

wow! Agree with MissE. You  pick up the pieces and try again

22. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

Life can seem unfair to most of us, and it can be very easy to feel sorry for ourselves.  However, when watching the news and seeing children starving in Africa, or villages swept away by tidal waves, or whole cities leveled by an earthquake, then it helps to put things into perspective.  Perhaps it would be better to concentrate on what we do have in life, rather than what we don't.

23. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

'It's all in your hands, baby, it's all in you hands,'- said a thief, breaking down the last combination in the bank's safe.

24. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

No, not unfair. By contrast, life is so fair to me. That does not mean that I never have trouble or I can have everything that I want. I lost, but I also gain: I am not that rich, but I am healthy; I am not a standard beauty, but I am smart and went to university; I was cheated by friends, but I have families who are always with me... We can get different conclusions from different angles to view a question. Try to give ourselves a positive heart! Life is always fair as long as we deal with life with proper and serious attitude.

25. jcmayer777 profile image65
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I've had my share of bad luck, but in general, I'm very content with my life.  So..I suppose life has been more than fair to me.

26. Maria van Olphen profile image60
    Maria van Olphenposted 12 years ago

Life is never unfair. What happens to you is always a direct match of what your are attracting or focusing on.

Then comes the question about children afflicted with diseases. It is so unfair, you say. Again, I would say that you only get to ask this question as the result of not understanding how life works.

In a nut shell, nothing happens by accident. Before you come into this physical life, you are fully aware of what you will be facing. We only have to discover what we already know. That is the beauty of life - it is the journey that matters, and not the destination.

If you want to change your life, change the way you think. What you think and focus on you will attract and draw to you.

The Law of Attraction is one of the most powerful laws of the Universe. It is the law that creates worlds.

27. tata22 profile image59
    tata22posted 12 years ago

Life is gift we're given once, being able to live everyday is the best blessing we're given.  I think those people who are saying that life is unfair based them on their feelings or their inabilities to change the things which are not under their control.  People basically wants to control everything in there surroundings.  And when things are not happening the way they want it, they might say that life is unfair.   

When we are contented, we can't say that life is unfair. It's worth mentioning that the only way to happiness is "contentment".  Contentment comes from the appreciation of what we have and not from wanting what we don't have.  Being able to wake every morning is already a blessing.  Because of this, we have the chance to make today better than yesterday.

For me, life is fair.  It is up to us to make the best of what we have.

28. profile image54
    hyperimmunehealthposted 12 years ago

Most of the replies have been positive stating no life has not been unfair and it is what you make of it. there are circumstances beyond our control that make it unfair in some situations. A book I recently read made many factors in life unfair to many people. Jobs and salaries for women, top positions for men always given to those that are tall irregardless of ability. People are discriminated against for color and race. Why are some people overlooked for jobs and raises while others who don't deserve them get them? We tend to judge and form opinions of people by their their physical appearance looks, weight and height. People who commit huge financial crimes in government and the private sector often get away with it while a guy who commits a minor offense serves time.
      these are some of things that make life unfair. In my case it was being overdosed for fourteen on prescription drugs for a seizure condition before getting off some of them and waking up. I lost those years, had great difficulty during that time but never lost the will to live or succeed. Life is still tough at times but then so am I.

29. somedress2011 profile image59
    somedress2011posted 12 years ago

yes, sometimes i will feel that life is unfair,but most of the time i will feel that life is fair to everyone .that depends on your point of reference,most people will feel sad or unfair when they see other people are very happy or rich,but if you easy to satisfy,you will be happy now ,I am an easy satified girl,so most time,i am happy,if i always feel life is unfair ,i will live painful.The people who are rich also get money by themselves,maybe they are lucky,but they also have something that can't get.So,in my mind,life is fair.

30. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

Call me crazy[and aLotaya Do]but life is absolutely fair to everyone.
    Life is so freaking fair that very few of us have the courage to perceive just how fair life is.
    "rest assured grass hopper,the universe is unfolding as it should".

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, not to all. It was not fair to my little brother who died at 27. Not fair to many Canadians (or others) who live in extreme poverty right now. Not everybody is lucky but most of us have our lucky chance once in a while.

1. carol3san profile image59
        carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No.  I was always strong and healthy enough to work at a job I loved, and I got a decen pay for doing so.  I was married twice....it worked out better the second time around.  and I ended up with 2 beautiful children and 5 grandchildren....all are in good health and are well adjusted.

31. Ryan Queen profile image61
    Ryan Queenposted 12 years ago

I have my own share of trials, but you know what, it all just boils down to your state of mind. I'm thankful that when life gives me problems, I know how to find the solutions to solve it. so, life is just, for me, fair.

32. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I don't think anything can even be fair or unfair until we're able to compare it to other peoples. Say comparing someone without a job in the US to a poor homeless child in an impoverished country. Even then the amount of suffering a person is experiencing is relative to their own set of circumstances.

Some people are just better at dealing with stress and lifes ups and downs than others. Someone can, from the outside, appear to have it all, but in reality they may be incredibly miserable. The same can apply to someone who from the outside appears to have nothing. They may be quite happy because they've decided that they have accepted their life as it is.

Dwelling on what is fair or unfair can distract us from actually doing something about our circumstances.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)