Has poetry got a future?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. PeeGee profile image60
    PeeGeeposted 14 years ago

If there is no music to go with it - can poetry ever be anything other than stuff you have to do at school or that old people read and is on Radio 4 in the afternoons? How beyond slams and all that jazz make poetry relevant and popular or has its time passed?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep Writing your Poetry PeeGee and ask one or two OLD People to review your works. hmm  You may find Your future.

Certainly Caught the guy above me with your post! yikes

2. profile image53
      Teacher Actressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poetry definitely has a future.  Poetry expresses the way a poet feels about someone or something.
      Teacher  Actress

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Te oldest spiritual text in the world the Holy Vedas is poetry which is the most condensed form of philosophy.

Many masterpieces like the Ramayana, Bhagwat Gita, Mahabharata ,Guru Granth Sahib etc are poetry and they will last till this earth spins.

I believe the level of poetry has deteriorated a lot over the past few years or decades and has given it a poor name and poets today face a very difficult time.

Then I also believe poetry is picking up again and people are once again appreciating spirituality and philosophy through poetry. smile

4. Rudy walsh profile image61
      Rudy walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as man and woman have emotions and words to express themselvs,then we will always have poetry.

5. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've certainly construed similarly with the US congress and politics. Oh, and religion, too. But they are still with us, God help us all.

However, poetry....
      There have been times when I haven't had a lick of an idea for what to write, sitting in my victimhood, or just feeling lifeless, and then I'll read somebody's poem (many here on HP) and suddenly, blood starts pumping and life starts all over again.

Song lyrics are a form of poetry, but they are different. I know because I write both. Poetry, on the other hand is as plentiful and universal and as poignant as scripture, Shakespear and CrisA (and manlypoetryman, and, and, and...)

None of this is going away. At least I don't think it will.

6. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Young or Old, Poetry has its voice, and makes its impressions and points.

Keep writing

Jon

7. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, poetry does not have a future.

Society becomes more unaware and stupified every day.

8. profile image58
      Sunny Baldwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there is no future without poetry. It is the very song of the soul and as long as the soul still sings, there will always be others like me who must listen.

2. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

http://www.speedysigns.com/images/decals/jpg/H/445/906.jpg

What you say about poe-trays popularity passin'? Your darn tootin'...Poetry has a future...if'ns people would let it do itz thang...it has great potential to describe what ever you so choose...in an organized and thought-provoking manner!

3. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

I know plenty of writers and people that love to write poems so yes its still a passion for many and a way for kids and adults to express themselves

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

right on!

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Poetry never dies. It can change its format, but will ever be around.

1. profile image49
      PirateGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn right, oh and sorry about last night Tantrum, just got carried away. Enjoy your weekend !

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why should you be sorry?! Of you own opinions !? And I never care If someone throws crap words at me. I think its funny how people get carried away over nonsenses. Enjoy your weekend!

5. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Poetry has a future as long as the human heart does.

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and the human heart will never die, though every now and again it may get injured, it will recover...........

6. profile image49
    R1VERT1LTposted 14 years ago
  7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I can't see poetry fading away. it is a wonderful way to say things that are felt.

8. PeeGee profile image60
    PeeGeeposted 14 years ago

Just checking guys - one of those questions that we all need to ask ourselves now and again to make sure we keep doing what we do......bless you all for being human.  PeeGee

1. Daniel Carter profile image61

So when are you publishing your hub of poetry?
      Keep us posted.
      smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image61

Ahhhhhhh, I spoke too soon, didn't I?
        So, I'm reading. I'll keep you posted....
        wink

9. R P Chapman profile image60
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

poetry, proper poetry, is an essential part of the human condition. The popularity of writing verse in books is most certainly waning, but our desire to distil and express our emotions is as strong as it ever was.

10. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

The trouble with poetry is that when it's good, it's very very good, and when it's bad it's awful.

In the old days, writers had to get past editors to get their work published, which screened out the poor quality.  These days we can all publish whatever we feel like.

The result is that there's some pretty bad writing online - but I have to say, poetry seems to suffer worse than anything.  There is some really horrible stuff out there.  I hope that doesn't put people off poetry, because it is so emotive when done well.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, you are spot on, so so true

Jon

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. Rayalternately profile image61
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so true, no-one reads me for a reason! big_smile

11. hoodieweather profile image58
    hoodieweatherposted 14 years ago

Poetry = emotions.

We all have them!

12. Matthew Hollands profile image60
    Matthew Hollandsposted 14 years ago

Hello PG, my real life friend! smile 

I think there are a lot of things that are called poems around today which are actually just clever words said quickly.  These cloud the issue.  I think there are poets out there, right now, who are as good as anything which has come before, but they'll never get the acclaim of the olden time heros because they're lost in a great sea of mediocrity.

On the upside, it's the Cheltenham Lit. Fest this week!  An island of goodness in that sea!

13. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

Poems can convey things that ordinary prose just can't. Good poets can put disparate things together at right angles, as it were. The result is sometimes beautiful, puzzling, shocking, etc. I think they're here to stay. Nothing can take you to such unknown emotional places as a poem.

14. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Yes. Poetry has a future as long as humanity's.
    But like all things that were played by an elite even if some brand of them was labeled "popular" it will become "democratized".
    That is, no care for rules or metrics and so.
    An example of this is given by Speedy Gonzalez trying to write a poem for a friend's birthday :

Tabasco is red. Paprika too.
    Happy birthday to you.

hehehe

15. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I can enjoy a quiet night with a glass of wine and book of poetry. I love seeing and feeling the eloquent flow of words and structure. It will live. smile

16. Chad A Taylor profile image71
    Chad A Taylorposted 14 years ago

In reality poetry is weaved througout our culture and is indelible part of our everyday life from a greeting card, your favorite song on the radio; it's all poetry and has its roots in prose.  Open your eyes it's all around you!

17. Kid Eternity profile image60
    Kid Eternityposted 14 years ago

Poetry's time will pass when humanity passes. People have to express themselves - some paint, some dance, some speak, some sing and some write. In each category of expression there are those sub-categorizations, false divisions; is a writer a novelist, a short story author, or a poet? Perhaps he has success with one form over another, or perhaps his voice emerges in one form better than in another, or perhaps he simply has no desire to write in another form. But poetry is, in the end, self-expression. It will end when breathing ends.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Birth-of-Anima

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)