When do your best writing ideas inspire you?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (67 posts)
  1. bzirkone profile image53
    bzirkoneposted 12 years ago

When do your best writing ideas inspire you?

Sometimes, my inspiration comes at 2 AM and I find myself up 'til 4 getting that story on paper or screen.   Other times, by 11 PM, my mind has shut down and I can barely remember why I love to write. Those 2 AM sparks often require drastic changes or complete removal after I wake up later that day.  What inspired me at 2 AM may horrify me at 8 AM.

2. Ryan McDonough profile image60
    Ryan McDonoughposted 12 years ago

I'd have to say that I am most inspired by what I am writing when I am influenced by strong emotion.  Strangely enough, they also occur early in the morning (midnight to five A.M.).  I tend to treat it as a way to filter out everything and put it on paper, effectively "putting it out" of my mind.

bzirkoneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, same with me!  If something moves me or upsets me.. I can't move on until I respond to it in writing.. even if I don't actually publish it.

2. Scorpio21 profile image75
      Scorpio21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yep, agree with that smile

3. walkingwithhim profile image59
    walkingwithhimposted 12 years ago

I can't say that I have a set time, it is just going through life and it's struggles or joys. I suppose a quiet place or quiet time does make a difference with my thinking, and that could be at any hour of the day or night for me. Just write like you write.

I agree Walkingwithhim, I can write any place at any time but a quiet location helps.

4. LauraGT profile image82
    LauraGTposted 12 years ago

Usually when out on a run.  Sometimes it also happens while exercising at the gym, mainly because it's the only time I watch TV.  Daytime news is fodder for endless hubs!

Ha!  I agree.. I end up disgusted/angry/dumbfounded, every time I watch television.  I also think running would give you a good chance to let your mind reflect on different things and come up with great articles..

5. michememe profile image61
    michememeposted 12 years ago

My best ideas happen at anytime. It can be just by reading a hub, and I'm ready to go into writing mode. I think all the time, so I listen carefully to what others say, and writing ideas come from that. For me it's anytime.

I get that completely Michememe.  I am often inspired by what I read here on HubPages.

6. indiaguerita profile image60
    indiagueritaposted 12 years ago

Generally it's after the kids go to bed.  So anywhere from 9 p.m. until I am too exhausted to stay awake.  That point is usually around 2ish a.m.

7. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 12 years ago

Ideas come at all times and under all circumstances, but most often when I'm reading someone else's work.

Same here, dmhenderson.  I do get plenty of inspiration when reading.

8. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 12 years ago

I usually get my best ideas while on the train. I do a lot of train travel so this works out well. The motion of the train puts me in the right frame of mind and so does the scenery.

I can kind of imagine that, Rod.  I would love to ride trains but we don't really have a passenger train system in Kansas City.  Well, not the kind you ride to work, anyway.

9. M K Paul profile image72
    M K Paulposted 12 years ago

I love to write poetry.And i got my inspiration from daily life emotion.When i feel very happy or sad, some though will come to my mind and try to write down it.
    I love to cook also.So when i cook some thing new ,I try to share it with all friends.My writing inspiration is my husband, he always praise me to write.

Nice to have a built-in fan base M K!  My husband also inspires me.

10. molometer profile image78
    molometerposted 12 years ago

I always take a camera everywhere I go these days, as I find inspiration all over the place. Also I keep a notepad by the bedside for those 2 am moments.

I love it molometer!  I have just recently started carrying my camera for the same reason.  Like you, I always have a notepad and pen close.  I have also started using my phone to jot notes and the voice recorder to record those sudden, random ideas.

2. dohn121 profile image78
      dohn121posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Back in college, my writing professor suggested that we do exactly this and to learn to write in the dark.  Turning on a light actually causes us to forget our dreams instantly.

3. Catherine Kane profile image79
      Catherine Kaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

dohn there's a technique you can use to program yourself to remember your dreams

11. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 12 years ago

I am inspired at night when I would get up right out of bed and jot down the thought or idea lest I forget it in the morning.

How many times have I promised myself I would remember an idea later - and didn't write it down!!  Ugh..

12. swb78 profile image59
    swb78posted 12 years ago

Form me, it comes when I am both in pain or joyful. I think strong emotion either way inspires me to write.

I get that swb78.. for me, I am more inspired when joyful.  When I'm suffering, my mind is too distracted.

13. sammieham0317 profile image60
    sammieham0317posted 12 years ago

My inspiration usually comes at the ODDEST of times! For example, once my sister and I had to take my nephew to the hospital because he was really sick. Once we got there, we saw there was like FORTY other kids with the same symptoms. And they kept coming. Apparently the nurse said it was like that all week long. They had to open the below ground level of the hospital to treat all the kids. From that, I wrote a nice length zombie story.

Haha.. this one made me laugh!  Is your Zombie story published?  I'd love to read it!

14. arijitm2000 profile image75
    arijitm2000posted 12 years ago

Whenever something hits my heart & my mind struggles to let it all out...

I get that.. and isn't it satisfying to get it all down in writing?  It can release a lot of stress.

15. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image74
    Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 12 years ago

Mine comes in the morning. AT around 4 am when its quit

Mine usually starts before 4 AM but when it hits.. I am still up at 4 writing until I get it edited, re-written, edited again and finally- sleep!

16. Catherine Kane profile image79
    Catherine Kaneposted 12 years ago

Usually when it's least convenient, like in the shower, while I'm driving, when I'm half awake or when its otherwise difficult to stop and act on it. My Muse often wants to see if I'll make an effort to make things happen.

Late night, when everyone else is asleep, is one good time. It often feels like the wavelengths are empty or clearer then, and I can hear my ideas more clearly

And there is a way to program yourself as you go to sleep so that you wake up with ideas, answers to problems and other information that has previously been concealed from you....

I know exactly what you mean.  I was saying earlier, I've taken to using my phone to record ideas while I am driving - when that one stroke of brilliance hits me - and I know if I don't record it- I will forget it forever.

2. Catherine Kane profile image79
      Catherine Kaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually carried a tiny taperecorder for awhile, for when I was struck with original tunes
      and I'm still waiting for them to come out with waterproof paper for the shower

17. Daughter Of Maat profile image86
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I get the most inspiration to write during a thunderstorm, or at about 04:00am when the house is silent and everyone else is asleep. Sometimes I get a burst of inspiration right after a workout, but that doesn't happen often. When I need to kinda kick start my inspiration (like today) I go and organize something. It's like the act of rearranging objects and putting them in some semblance of order, organizes the thoughts in my brain and gets the creativity flowing again. It's probably more symbolic than anything, but it works!

Wow..I get that whole organizing thing.  I read once that people who have a lot going on in their heads, need their environment to be neat and orderly, otherwise, they can't think clearly.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image86
      Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed! We had so much clutter everywhere when I started writing that I just couldn't think at all. So I rearranged my whole living room and made a small "office" so that I could write "officially." It really made a huge difference!

3. buckleupdorothy profile image69
      buckleupdorothyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Organizing completely does it for me - and best of all, the end result is a clear, calm space in which anyone would be happy to work! All those birds with just the one stone! Or something slightly less grizzly...

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image86
      Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I totally agree buckleupdorothy! My desk is actually right next to my husband's, and there is a VERY stark difference between my nice clean desk and his cluttered one! My desk is very calming, and its actually hard to think next to his! lol

18. Karmallama profile image69
    Karmallamaposted 12 years ago

I feel that my best ideas appear to come when I am having completely unrelated coversations with people, or at work so it is hard to get my ideas down. But, when I do I have had some great things come out of it. Otherwise, it appears that random late hours make my mind wander into creative possibilities.

I've had that happen too.  Makes it hard to pay attention to the person talking..

19. woodamarc profile image42
    woodamarcposted 12 years ago

Usually when I'm on a walk I come up with great ideals to write on. My problem, I need to remember to bring a pen to write down the concept, otherwise I tend to forget and miss out on a lot of good writes.  But when I do sit now to put to print, it flows through the key board like water.

Exactly!  I have been trying- but feel kind of stupid doing it- to record my ideas on my phone..

20. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 12 years ago

In the middle of the night when I can't sleep, which is often.  I can really get in the zone then.  But it screws up the rest of my day.

Exactly! I've been promising myself I'd get to bed before 1 AM for many years.. If I'm up.. I'm writing.

21. landscapeartist profile image60
    landscapeartistposted 12 years ago

That's the same with me.  I end up waking up in the middle of the night with an inspiration for a painting of some kind.  Or, a plot for a piece of literature.

Do you get up and paint/write?  That happened to me once with a website.. waaaay before I had any websites.. I got up, logged on, found GoDaddy and it began.. I've never looked back.

2. landscapeartist profile image60
      landscapeartistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do! I have been found many times painting or writing at 2 - 3 a.m. or so.  My family thinks I am nuts for doing stuff at that hour.  But, if you don't do it when that inspiration hits you, then you may miss out on something great!

22. Jaydeus profile image71
    Jaydeusposted 12 years ago

I find my inspiration is greatest when I think deeply over a subject for an extended period.  I believe my sub-conscience is trying to answer my questions through an artistic medium, which may materialize as words or music.

I feel the same.  After my kids finally grew up and left home.. I had all this quiet time and I could finally listen to those answers in my subconscious.. I know exactly what you mean.

23. Sharminator profile image64
    Sharminatorposted 12 years ago

My best ideas come at time when I am usually busy, Like when I am at work...worst time as I work in catering. Then I can not let it go until I have noted it down. I love writing and those moments of inspiration give me a great feeling of well being. then sometime my idea's just seem a little crazy...Still you have to get the good with the bad.....it keeps me smiling....

Same here.. when I look at my notes or listen to my recording.. sometimes I think.. "What was I thinking??" ..I've lost the inspiration for that moment but sometimes it comes back.

24. daisydayz profile image85
    daisydayzposted 12 years ago

Im pretty much the same I always seem to get my best ideas just before I fall to sleep, or when i am trying to get to sleep. I have insomnia quite often so will stay awake going through ideas in my head for articles or hubs.

I'm not sure if I qualify as an insomniac or I just lack the discipline to go to bed ..when I get there, I sleep like a corpse.  Getting there.. whole 'nuther story.  smile

25. lupine profile image64
    lupineposted 12 years ago

Usually when Im trying to sleep, but also when something important or shocking happens an idea will be sparked. I keep a notebook nearby for ideas, then write more later.

Same here.. notebook always close..

26. Pintoman profile image61
    Pintomanposted 12 years ago

When I feel good. Usually after laughing a lot. Sometimes when I lay down and my mind is free from doing daily things and wanders.

27. catholicconvert profile image60
    catholicconvertposted 12 years ago

Almost never. I start it by discipline. Then I get inspired as I work.

bzirkoneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Almost two years later... I find the more I write the more what you said is true.  If I schedule time to write and site down to start it, I sometimes have to force it out and then I get more inspired as I go.

28. Tilsawright profile image59
    Tilsawrightposted 12 years ago

Mine happens to be around the same time.

Must be a writer's thing?

29. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

Usually when someone asks me a question which in my eyes or thoughts are clear cut such as that other options are totally irrelevant.

The question becomes a challenge. Perhaps I overlooked something. The process of trying to explain to someone else becomes an avenue for growth in that area.

Most of the answers/thoughts/paths/ideas come when I am in the bath tub.

30. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

For fiction, in my dreams. Last week, I had a really strange dream, and could do nothing but take the day to write a story from it. And I feel its the best work I've ever done.

For articles, from questions asked by clients and colleagues. That sparks the teacher-geek-explainer-helper in me, and next thing you know, I'm writing step-by-step instructions!

31. carter06 profile image68
    carter06posted 12 years ago

I'm an early hours of the morning writer as well and I really love it sometimes when  I get an inspiration that just has to be written down and it keeps me in the zone for a while, refreshing my passion and desire for writing.

32. Barnsey profile image70
    Barnseyposted 12 years ago

The truth is your brain is at its most creative in the morning after a good sleep. Any time I sit in front of the pc before noon the ideas just flood in.

33. dohn121 profile image78
    dohn121posted 12 years ago

I get my best story and hub ideas at the most awkward and unlikely times, such as when I'm driving, taking a shower, working out, or whenever I'm not trying to come up with any ideas.  Other times, I'll watch a movie or read a book and get a similar idea that way.  Sometimes, all we need is a little push to get us going (much like a standard car with a dead battery).

34. American_Choices profile image75
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

I have a hard time driving and not thinking about the next article. I have started to keep a note book on my PDA of my thoughts - only after I stop and park but of course!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)