Being asked for money on the street-- any good stories?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Ciel Clark profile image79
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

Being asked for money on the street-- any good stories?

I remember some sad situations which I will always remember, but some of the funnier ones:  The guy with the sign "Need money for beer-- drunk but truthful,"  the guy who told me he needed money for heat as he'd gotten frostbite and might lose his toes (he was riding a bike at the time), and a great answer when my aunt asked how he would spend the dollar,  "Fifty percent on food, twenty-five percent on drink, and the rest on pure frivolity."  Which encounters have stayed with you over the years?

2. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Many years ago in the old fashioned days back in the 1960s, I was accosted by a tramp in the Charing Cross Road.   I was going into the now defunct music shopn Scarfs.
    'Got a shilling for a cup of tea guv?'
    'Sorry mate, I've only got a fiver.'
    His reply, 'I've got change.'
    For those that don't know, back in the 60s £5 was a lot of money, had I handed it over and expected change, the tramp and the note would have been long gone.

1. MickS profile image69
      MickSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

To show the value of a fiver then, it was a little more than my weekly pat of £4/-19/-0, before tax and National Insuraance.  The tramp was coming it, asking for a shilling for a cup of tea.

3. gabgirl12 profile image77
    gabgirl12posted 6 years ago

Just the other day as I was on my way to work I met a guy with a sign 'Help my family has been kidnapped by Ninja's and I need $4 for Karate Lessons'.

I thought it was hilarious. I didn't know how popular it already was though when I typed it up on the internet. Some of them are so funny, and I have to admit if something makes me laugh I'm that much more willing to give.

4. SidKemp profile image90
    SidKempposted 6 years ago

When I lived in NYC, a street beggar became a friend. He was a classic: an old black man with a metal plate in his head - literally. He had a great riddle: What is the best nation in the world? His answer, a donation. My reply, except when you need a urination! Then, that's even better. His joke must have made it's way around, because, eventually, I heard Sipowitz use it on NYPD Blue!

Another encounter was a real wake-up call. A guy asked me for a couple bucks and I gave it to him - and then I realized he was wearing a windbreaker nicer than mine! Since then, I haven't given money to someone unless I know they need it more than me and my family.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image78
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

There was a time when people asked for anything they really needed it.  Now there are so many scams you really don't know what to do.  This one is somthing I observed.  A man was asking for money as people walked along the sidewalk.  Someone put in a coin....probably a quarter....the begger took it out of the container, threw it at the giver and said something obscene....I guess beggars can be choosey.....LOL

I was in the car...traffic was heavy in the turn lane.  I noticed a woman with a sign.  Something about her just rang true to her need.  Of course, many cars passed her.....as I approached something inside me knew I needed to give her something....normally if I give it is $1 or $2.....I gave her a $10 bill...when she saw what it was she started to cry...sob really.   I knew I had done the right thing.

6. mr williams profile image46
    mr williamsposted 6 years ago

Actual homeless people looking for food, but rarely drunks. I gave a guy $10 because I seen him eating food out the bus stop trash can. He bought food and came back, no alcohol in sight. I felt great. The next day I lost $150, my I.D, social security card, and Netspend Debit Card lol. Sad but at least someone ate good.

7. billericky profile image56
    billerickyposted 6 years ago

I was in Camden Town, London. A lady whom did not speak English was begging for money. She indicated the 10p coin in the palm of her hand and with her other hand gestured that I should add more coins to it. I simply took it out of her hand and said 'thank you' and went to walk away with it.

She soon found out how to speak English judging by the torrent of abuse that followed from her mouth.

8. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 6 years ago

A guy had a bright smile and said he was going to be honest. He told me and my boyfriend he really wanted money for beer.

9. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

One time in Los Angeles my husband and I were walking and a man who has obviously been living on the streets for a long time said to us, "Hey, if you buy me a beer I'll drink it." We declined, but when we came back the other way a few hours later he was pretty drunk, so it appeared that he had found somebody to buy him a beer or two.

Another time we were staying at a hotel in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. Truly I have never seen such a scene, you had to step around sleeping people on the sidewalk in the mornings. There was one particular woman we saw each day in front of a coffee shop where we went to have breakfast. She was younger than I, maybe 40, and she had a shopping cart piled high with belongings which she would cover with a blanket and chain to a lamp post across the street from where she would sit with her dog and her sign. She had obviously been living this way for quite some time. Her face was brown and weathered, and her clothes were well worn, but they were clean and they matched. Something about her touched me, that she was making this effort. She had a new sign with a new story each day, and each day we gave her a couple of dollars.

10. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

In Kings Park, above the city I live, an old homeless woman occupied the same bench day after day. Everyone who passed her she asked 50 cents for butter, which she bought every day and ate with a stale bread, she got for free from a nearby bakery. We called her 'Butter lady'. She was quiet little soul who didn't bother anyone. When she was murdered on one cold winter night, Kings Park suddenly felt foreign and cruel....something changed in me that day, her bench is empty and the world seems more unhospitable place...

1. Dee aka Nonna profile image78
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You were touched by this woman and I was touched by the way you told about her.

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
      Mazzy Boleroposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a heartbreaking story. I don't understand why anyone would want to kill such a person - and I don't understand why the authorities cannot protect vulnerable people like this. An old lady should not need to starve and sleep outside in winter.

11. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

My Dad had a print shop near a downtown area. Occasionally, a man would come in asking for "money for food".
    He would never give money , but would offer to buy  him a sandwich at the cafe next door. Very few accepted his offer.

12. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
    Mazzy Boleroposted 6 years ago

A friend of mine got a surprise bonus at work and was so happy that he decided to be generous.  There was an old bag lady who always sat in the street near his office, so he decided he would give her a £5 note to get some lunch. However, when he held it out to her she went crazy and chased after him swearing and trying to hit him over the head with some of her stuff.  Maybe she thought he was trying to buy her services or something.

13. justateacher profile image81
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

The best time was when a man had been working a day job next door to my moms farm...the neighbor was expecting to much work for too little pay so the man quit and came to my moms house to get a ride back into town which my mom did...on the thirty minute trip into town a learned all about his hobo lifestyle and the things he did for money..usually odd jobs but also a lot of begging...his favorite was to give a story for a dollar...he was a cool guy...

14. cheaptoys profile image56
    cheaptoysposted 6 years ago

hardly happens to me maybe i look poor! hahah

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)