Governors refusing to start implementing Obamacare in their states

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (135 posts)
  1. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

What is your opinion of these governors? Even the one in my state, Georgia, has refused? I've never in all my life seen such disrespect for the Office of the Presidency and blatant disregard to laws passed!

1. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your governor is irrelevant.  If he does not set up his health care exchanges the government will come in and do it for him.  If he refuses to expand medicaid to his people in his state, he will change his mind when he finds out that the government will pay 90/100 percent of their medicaid cost. He's really upset right now and lost his mind. He will find it again soon.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lost his mind, yes, but find it again?  I've never seen any politician that could find their behind with both hands unless it was covered in either money or votes. 

What little mind there is will very likely remain lost forever. big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They're merely putting up a bluff to try and suit their parties and voters in these states.  They know they can't stop this from becoming reality but will fight it to make it look like they are doing something.  Same old same old!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
            schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

well put I agree, randy you take the cake

2. 910chris profile image75
          910chrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very well put!! It seems like once they go to Capitol Hill, they never come back the same. Must be something in the water there.

2. JSChams profile image60
        JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You ever hear of states rights?
        The state can legislate out of it.

1. Cody Hodge profile image60
          Cody Hodgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have...

South Carolina used it to enforce slavery

States rights is just garbage the conservatives come up with when they don't get their way.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
            Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

States can't succeed from the union anymore.

States rights is in the Constitution. It's how these states are doing this. It's legal.

1. Josak profile image59
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The federal government has the right to selective allocation of federal funds and has made it clear it will use those powers to deny states funds if they refuse to implement the ACA since pretty much all of the states refusing depend on federal money to run it's not going to last.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
                TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

SCOTUS's ruling prohibits penalizing states that refuse to expand Medicaid.  My Governor  (FL) just announced he's not going to cooperate with any of it, but he is an arrogant SOB who is killing the people of this state with his selfish egocentric attitudes.  He's already turned down millions of dollars for other things and doesn't care if he turns down more.  It's all legal, but he better enjoy it because there isn't a public employee in this state who will vote for him the next time and neither will the great majority of senior citizens.  We NEED this healthcare plan here.  He's rich...he doesn't!

1. 910chris profile image75
                  910chrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I know why the IRS bought those shotguns!!
                  http://www.menwithfoilhats.com/2010/02/ … -shotguns/

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
                    Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And those are just for Florida enforcement, right?
                    lol

3. JSChams profile image60

If you believe states rights is garbage then you believe the Constitution is garbage.

4. JSChams profile image60

When the progressives don't get their way they just have the Senate majority leader refuse to allow any opposing bills to the floor for a vote.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

What do we expect from our governor in this bastion of religious rightness and racism.  I hear the POTUS insulted frequently with racist remarks in our fair (lol) state, screaming!  smile

1. profile image0
        screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy....I also hear the racist remarks with frequency. Then these so called Christains go to church on Sunday!

1. JSChams profile image60

Yeah there goes that "racist" word.
          Won that argument cause if you are using that you are out of ideas.

3. JSChams profile image60

Blatant disregard?
      You mean like Eric Holder and the DOJ and the White House?
      That kind of blatant disregard?

1. profile image0

You mean the political Republican witch hunt on Eric Holder? Believe what you want! If you believe if Romney can eliminate the healthcare bill on day one "IF" elected, I have some ocean front property for sale in Kansas! He and  the other Republicans (including the Governors) will say and continue to say, whatever they need to, for Romney to get elected! Even though they know it isnt true.

Or like Alberto Gonzalez refusing to honor subpoenas from congress when Bush and his cronies were called to task.  Did you bitch about that too, JS?  lol  Oh yeah I forgot, you're not too good at answering questions, just espousing your own one-sided opinions.  lol

Actually Randy i did. Go pop a top on another one.,

Brilliant response, JS.  But still no answers.  I don't blame you though.  You don't have any.  lol

You enjoy your Limbaugh flavored Kool-Aid now, ya heah!  lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
            Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

See.....this is the kind of thing that gets a feller banned.

3. Cody Hodge profile image60

You realize there is NOTHING that could have been done to prevent that ATF agent from being murdered...

The gun sales that were part of Fast and Furious were legal sales. Therefore, no one could be prosecuted for them.

That is...unless you think the second amendment should be overturned?

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Selling firearms to convicted felons is legal?  Are you sure?

Under current federal law, people with felony convictions are not permitted to buy weapons, and those with felony arrests are typically flagged while the FBI conducts a thorough background check.

Court documents show the breakdown involves suspects Jacob Wayne Chambers, 21, and Sean Christopher Stewart, 28, both of Phoenix. Police arrested Chambers for felony burglary and trafficking stolen property in 2008, a year before he began buying more than 70 guns that ended up in the hands of the Sinaloa cartel. Stewart pled guilty to resisting arrest and criminal damage in 2001 and was arrested on drug charges in 2010. He was also charged with violating an order of protection and a local municipal court issued a warrant for his arrest. Stewart purchased 290 weapons.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07 … z1zVeaJKVf

From your link:

"Customers can legally buy as many weapons as they want in Arizona as long as they're 18 or older and pass a criminal background check"

No guns for felons.  Most of us are familiar with the rule that a convicted
              felon cannot possess a gun.  The federal rule is found in one of the main firearm statutes, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1).  It says that anyone “who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a  term exceeding one year” is barred from possessing a gun.  The only felonies that are not covered by the federal gun ban are 1) those “pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other
              similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices,” per 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20)(A); and 2) felony convictions from foreign countries, per Small v. United States, --- U.S. ---, 2005 WL 946620 (April 26, 2005).

http://www.ncids.org/Defender%20Trainin … -Paper.pdf

Felons cannot purchase guns, regardless of the excuse, it is the law!

Felons weren't buying the guns though....

And if the state of Arizona had decided to prosecute, this could have ended a long time ago right?

However, there was never a case prosecuted.

Therefore, either the state of Arizona is incompetent (highly likely) or there was nothing illegal. Either way, blaming this on Eric Holder is just a politically convenient way for conservatives to once again transfer blame to someone else. And here I though Obama was the blamer-in-chief?

So far, five members of the alleged gun smuggling ring have pleaded guilty.
                  Trial for the remaining alleged members of the gun smuggling ring is set for Sept. 25. They have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

http://borderissues.us/2012/04/09/fast- … ad-guilty/

Convicted felons are barred from purchasing firearms under federal law… and yet these two bought over 360 guns between them, acting as straw purchases for violent drug cartels.  The FBI didn’t stop them.  Agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sat and watched them buy their guns via closed-circuit TV

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/07/25/c … ious-guns/

Shades of Iran Contra.  lol  Who'll be the next Ollie North or Scooter Libby fall guy do you think?  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny to hear the mention of Eric Holder. He was held in contempt of Congress for attempting to stop legal gunrunning. As Forture reported, a rogue agent made up the story about Fast & Fusrious agents walking guns across the border. It never happened.

But if we want to stay on topic, Republican governors may unite and not accept increased Medicaid funding. That will keep 10 million children going to ER rooms. Nice guys. In 26 states they have already stopped the programs that fund insurance policies for people who cannot buy them due to being sick. They cannot be forced to allow companies to sell insurance to sick people until 2014.

4. Josak profile image59

THIS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING. As long as you don't live in those states, the tax is federally mandated by the IRS so the states will still have to pay the tax up without receiving the service which means the care will be funded but not received and as their healthcare falls way behind in those states they will change their minds pretty quick, no one wants to pay fro something they won't get.

5. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because governors are not stupid.  At least not the ones refusing to implement this so-called law.  That's because when this plan fails, they'll be the ones facing the music as voters hold them responsible for the failure of the state medical welfare system due to the insanity of Obamacare.  If you want some idea of how Obamacare will go nationally, just look at the results of Romneycare in Massachusetts. 

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/ … 0n1-1.html

None of these plans do anything to fix the real problem of healthcare which is the artificial limitation on the supply of healthcare providers.  Until and unless monopoly rights are stripped from organizations like the AMA and domestic protection laws are struck down which inhibit competition between healthcare insurers across state lines, you'll only see rationing of healthcare in this nation.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90

I remember in 1998 when the American Medical Association pushed a bill through Congress to cut medical residencies by 20%. As a result, American school had to cut back 20% on the numbrer of doctors they educate. This is why the AMA is also against expanding immigration of educated people. It would mean more doctors coming in and a lowering of health care costs.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

Exactly, it's nice to find someone who actually gets it.  I suppose I should be grateful to Obama though.  I have lots of family who are doctors and nurses in Mexico.  If I can convince them to open a private clinic for the medical tourism industry, we should all be sitting pretty.  That's income our doctors will be losing because of idiots who only see "FREE, FREE" and don't seem to understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

1. Josak profile image59

Of course it's not free, it's paid by those who can afford so those who can't can get it, not a single country which has passed public healthcare has repealed it or had it fail every single one saw a fall in costs and rise in national health. Facts are stubborn things, too bad you have none to back you argument.

6. Xenonlit profile image59
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is racism, pure and simple. America's dirty truth.

My curiosity is how all of those federal tax revenue deficient welfare state governments think they are going to pay for the impoverished  numb skulls who vote for them.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know this and I know this.

JSChamsposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6837019_f248.jpg

THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!

1. profile image0

That's more like Republican Governors attempting to convince the American public that the entire healthcare plan is no good using fear tactics. Most Americans are smarter than that!

I haven't heard anything from our WA governor (D).

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rick Scott won't be reelected in 2014. With his recent voter purge activities, he has lost a lot of support and his approval rating dropped. He's a jerk and finally people are seeing beyond his motives.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

These south eastern states are crying the loudest over Obamacare and it's these states that have the highest death rate of it's citizens for not having health care. Go figure. These Republican governors seem to be putting their egos over the people of their state.

1. profile image0

@Paul Wingert, you're right! These Republican politicians in Georgia could care less about the middle class Georgian!

2. Friendlyword profile image59

How long would it take to recall these governors that betray their people?

What if we had politicians who actually solve the problem, instead of just rewarding their supporters?  Given the way the government runs everything else, do you really think healthcare is can be any better at all?  Are you even planning for what you're going to do when this whole thing collapses?  Or do you really think this is going to work?

1. Friendlyword profile image59

I'll just look at that beautiful face of yours and feel great!  Where have you been my good friend?

Well I got censored a while back and decided that I'd take a break from the site.  Plus I started working again and have had my hands full with that for some time.  I was given the OK to work from home so I have a bit more free time on my hands now.  Thought I'd give this place another shot.

2. Josak profile image59

It's worked very well all around the world, every country that has introduced it has kept it and it has not failed, if all those countries, many of which are much poorer and which have more corruption can do it then I see no reason why the US cannot.

My uncle went to a public hospital in Mexico.  He almost died because the doctors there are a) less qualified than those who work in private hospitals and b) they didn't run any tests on him at all.  My cousins wound up taking him to a private hospital where, after running tests, they found that he had an infection and had spread throughout his body.  The doctor later said if he'd been about 30 more minutes, he'd have died.  Don't take my word for it, just give it a few years and you'll see for yourself.  Rejoice while you can, you'll suffer from Obamacare soon enough.

1. Josak profile image59

Mexico is a poor country, it's hardly a fair comparison, I spend half my year in Australia (I am a citizen) and I use the public health care system here all the time and guess what.... (wait for it) .... it's statistically much better. Predictions of doom and gloom don't scare anyone who has used a similar system in a first world country, so facts vs your "it happened to my father" would you care to compare the potential years of life lost index for the US and some public systems? Let's see:  in 2005 the US lost 6291 years of potential life for every 100 000 people public systems Iceland: 2994 Finland: 2995 Italy: 3605 Australia: 3946.

By the evidence public systems provide better care not only better but much better.

Oh so you don't even use the healthcare system here in the States but you're an expert on it?  Give me a break.  Try talking about something you've experienced instead of regurgitating statistics.

1. Josak profile image59

I do use it, I live half the year in the US, those are facts, you just have nothing to counter them with except flimsy anecdotal evidence, your argument is paper thin and lacks any evidence.

We'll just have to wait an see then, won't we?

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

Paul Wingert wrote:
    States can't succeed from the union anymore.

Exactly. Precisely. Too right. (Freudian slip?)

Lol. Not a Freudian slip,  just showin off my  mispelling skills. I meant "secede" as you may know.

5. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 11 years ago

I see nothing wrong with these governors refusing this "law."

As for the disrespect of the office of the POTUS, the office isn't being disrespected. The "occupant" of that office hasn't earned any respect.

To a lot of Americans, this man is a "Judas." He doesn't believe in what he's been sworn to uphold and protect, the United States Constitution and our country.

You may not like that, Screaming, but respect must be earned. When a man tries to tear down what you grow up believing in, patriotic Americans tend to get a little pissed about that.

6. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

Patriotic huh? Disrespectful name attacks. The Republican party the very night he was being sworn in plotting to make him a one term President. Healthcare bill passed helping millions of people without help from Republicans! I voted for President Bush believing by lowing taxes more jobs would be created. It DIDN't HAPPEN! He also promised to sign a bill to allow small businesses to group together for better health insurance rates. It DIDN'T HAPPEN! Did I resort to name calling (Judas or none Patriotic) about Presidnet Bush? No I did not! So perhaps you need to reevaluate the past presidents as well!

1. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, IMHO, Obama is the least patriotic president this country has ever had, hopefully ever will have. My comparison of him to Judas is simple. Judas didn't believe in Christ even after seeing all He'd done. Sold Him out for 30 pieces of silver. Obama doesn't believe in the U.S. Constitution as a true American does - in his heart. I firmly believe the man hates this country and all it was founded on - liberty and freedom.

You're right, screaming, Bush wasn't  the best president we've ever had but, even on his worst day, he was far and away better than Obama as an AMERICAN president.

Barack Hussein Obama would be a great president if this country were Venezuela, China, or Cuba but this is America and Obama is, in no way that I've seen, an American in his heart.

Yes, no doubt your judgement is spot on.  By the way, were one of those who thought Sarah Palin was a good prospect to be in line for the presidency if McCain had been elected and died during office--which was entirely possible with the strain of the job?  Do you believe she would have been much better at the position than Obama?  lol

You betcha!  lollollol  Or am I wrong about what great judgement you've exhibited as far as political candidates are concerned.  Anyone who voted to possibly put such a dingbat into the most powerful position in the world has very little right to cast aspersions on the present officeholder.  But then, perhaps I am wrong about you and you voted for Obama.  lol

1. profile image0

No, Randy, I voted for McCain but lets compare oranges to oranges - VP candidates. You voted for Obama meaning you also voted for the foot-in-mouth idiot, Joe Biden.

Perhaps you should come at this from a different angle. Biden is certainly no better as we both know that man couldn't find his own ass with both hands and a map. And, no, I wasn't happy with Palin but I saw Barack Hussein Obama for what he is before the election and voted for McCain instead.

Well then, lets compare bananas to fruit loops, if we're going to get into it.  The possibility of Obama dying in office was much less--because of age and health issues--than the same happening to McCain.  And you have the nerve to use the "foot-in-mouth" description about Biden when the moron you preferred to be VP had her actual words used as a comedic dialog on Saturday Night Live?  lollollol

Her interviews where she was asked to name some newspapers she read and couldn't name one tells loads about her actual knowledge of world events, not to mention other completely ridiculous statements she made.  Did you really think she could see Russia from her house?  lollollol

Yet, you are lambasting someone so much more intelligent than the choice YOU made.  I'm sorry, but the opinion of anyone who gave any chance at all for that looney toons to be president and have responsibility for nuclear weapons, says it all.  What a freaking joke!  Sure, I respect your judgement on national affairs!!  roll

Next thing you know, you'll try and choose someone from some freaky Mormon cult for president!  lol

1. profile image0

And we both know Saturday Night Live is just as left-leaning liberal as the main stream media, Randy. roll

Like I said, I wasn't at all happy with Palin. Hell, I wasn't all that happy with McCain either. I did see Barack Hussein Obama for what was and is so I voted for, IMHO, the lesser of two evils when I would have much rather have voted FOR someone rather than AGAINST another.

Simple fact is I have absolutely no respect for Obama as an American as I don't think he is one in his heart. I know you don't agree with that, Randy. That's cool. cool We're Americans so we can still do that.

As for the faith of the current or future presidents, I didn't vote against Obama because of his faith as I didn't and still don't know what his is. I will vote for Romney but his religion won't be a factor.

What will be a factor is how I think he'll lead and govern this country. I've seen nothing to show Obama deserves my vote for Dog Catcher much less a second term as president. So, yes, I'll be voting for Romney. hmm

Sorry Longhunter, but you aren't psychic and cannot answer for what we BOTH know about SNL, just as you do not have the ability to know what a dangerous person you wanted to put into office. I suppose anyone or any media you disagree with comes under the guise of "left-leaning" if your previous posts are any indication.

Palin's words on SNL were used verbatim with no need to change them because they were so hilarious and ridiculous.  This is why she refused to finish her role on the show when she found out how her actual words were taken as actual comedic lines.  No one from SNL had to make up anything as coming from her mouth as the real statements were hilarious enough.  And this type of person is who YOU tend to wish running our country.

I've no doubt that many who supported Hitler used the same excuse after he was in a position to cause all manner of death and destruction in the world.  Ane the same may be said for those who voted for Dubya when he started a terrible war with a dictator who he falsely blamed for threatening us with WMDS and being responsible for 911.  Our country would be much better off now if we were still arguing with Sadaam with thousands of our fine young men and women still alive or unmutilated and perhaps hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi citizens--not to mention--billions of dollars gone from our treasury.  But some thought he was a good choice for president too, didn't they?

Yes, bad choices have bad consequences.  Those who make them have little hope of being respected after the fact nor deserve to be listened to in matters concerning the future.  Do feel any responsibility for the loss of so many lives and treasure because of your previous choices?  I doubt it seriously.  But you have the nerve to complain about the present choice after the misery your past choices have caused.  There's a name for such folks, you know.  smile

And Yes, I'm sure you will continue to try and put your "kind" into office as you haven't learned anything at all about making bad choices, even after the horrible deaths and cost to our country's economy as a result of your votes for the previous POTUS.  Sure, we will continue to disagree.  You choose death and destruction while I choose someone who is trying to help those struggling with health and economic issues in our country.  I suppose it depends on one's priorities and what they consider patriotism to consist of.

1. profile image0

You keep going back to Palin and I've already stated I wasn't happy with her. She a non-entity as far I'm concerned and you're just using her in try to insult me. Are you going to continue to beat a dead horse? Move past it, Randy.

You question my choice for president. Okay, I got that. I question yours. We're never going to see eye to eye. We'll just have to agree to disagree because I can tell you're spoiling for a fight but you're not going to get from me today. big_smile

What I want is small, conservative, constitutional government, not Socialism. So, I've made up my mind, Randy, and, frankly, I'm voting for what I see as the lesser of two evils. I'm voting for Romney.

If liberals actually celebrate the Fourth, I hope you and yours have a good one.

You too, Longhunter!  Happy July 4th!

2. Friendlyword profile image59

"If liberals actually celebrate the Fourth,"

I'm sure you want to take that back.

Perhaps you are right. I am certain he probably plays golf better than she does, He's had lots of practice.

1. profile image0

Be careful, JS. Randy is spoiling for a fight today.

Ha!  All JS does is talk.  He never answers questions.  Not even a tiff!  lol

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90

The Supreme Court says its a tax, not socialism. C'mon, your opinions are kind of one-sided.

1. profile image0

And Obama says it's not a tax so which is it? A tax? Socialism? Or just plain BS?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90

Affordable healthcare.

1. profile image0

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

In your dreams, Doc.

2. Cagsil profile image70
                Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Affordable health care isn't going to happen when the government chooses to get involved.

The willful ignorance in the thought that government can do something right when so much evidence is available to dispute it, is an atrocity.

1. profile image0

+1

2. Josak profile image59

You know except that governments have successfully done it all over the world and medicare saved millions of lives.

1. profile image0

If it ain't broke and you're singing its praises, why screw it up with Obamacare?

2. Cagsil profile image70
                    Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again, I'll say it. So what what other countries do. The fact that you use countries that have lessor ideals set forth in documentation than that of our Constitution, then I cannot help you get over it.

Liberty, the Pursuit for Happiness and the LIFE that is to be created from our Constitution is the freedom people deserve to have and government's role is to be minimized AT ALL costs. Increasing government involvement in anything on an individual level is going to increase the costs associated with it. It's been proven, time and time again. Look and learn from history. Since it keeps repeating because people lack the knowledge to move beyond it.
                    And because government is handling that program it is trillions in debt.

What part do you NOT understand?

Whereas yours are completely rational?  roll

7. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

The Affordable Care Act is now ratified supreme law which supercedes state & local, thereby documented as such in the archives - so I guess the regressive psycho Republican Governors who are not in compliance are breaking said law, and therefore, maybe it's time a few of these radical helmet headed rogues start dating prison bars and what's between em' as an shining example of the consequences incurred when attempting to strip essential health care away from Americans who desperately need it - I wonder how Bobby "Brady Bunch" Jindal would fare at Leavenworth for a few months?

I wonder if Chris Christy will follow suit and try to deny New Jersyites their fair share of ObamaCare rights?

Lord knows if anyone has the authoritative conviction to dictate who gets care and who doesn't, and who needs a revised fitness plan and who doesn't it's this glowing example of a superbly conditioned physical specimen -

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
      Bob Zermopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the states have a legal right not to take on the ACA's Medicare expansion, though I'm quite positive eventually they will all take it on. But in principal (and it also should be in practice), the US federalism needs states' acknowledgment and consent to implement policies.

8. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

If a state opts out, they should have an arternative plan. Oregon has the Oregon Health Plan, which, in theory, would only need expansion.

9. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

It is the secession of the U.S.!

10. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

It is a gift to the medical corporations.

11. spbarton21 profile image60
    spbarton21posted 11 years ago

It is about time that the states stand up and fight the federal government when they overstep their boundaries. The states know that the program will not be able to be sustained with the taxes that we have now. Our government wants this nation to become a mirror of Europe and it is unfortunate that we as voters have fallen for the promises that the left have promised. The States are telling the federal government that they will no longer stand by and be told what to do as they have the right to govern the people within their states the way they believe will benefit the citizens of their state. Our Federal governments only responsibility is national defense, commerce, and highways for interstate travel

12. chipsball profile image61
    chipsballposted 11 years ago

Most who now oppose the Affordable Healthcare Act and ridicule Obama will be the first in line when their "as" is sick or hurt and when they or someone in their family needs medical attention.

Hippo-crits

I have insurance. I don't need ACA and the only reason I would have it is if forced by a tyrannical government which is coming down the road.

1. Josak profile image59

How much is the limit on your insurance plan? Do you have a no expulsion clause? Does your insurance companies have investigative privilege before payment?

I don't know. I am sure most people don't know those things they just know they are covered. That's mainly their concern.

1. Josak profile image59

The average person has an insurance spending limit of 20 000 a year, cancer treatment can cost three times that, as of Obamacare passing that rose to 750 000 and in 2014 will become unlimited thus if you get cancer you will be covered and won't be abandoned by your insurance company like more than 10% of US cancer sufferers (isn't just the most moral thing to abandon people who is dying or weakened by chemo and surgery.)

Tens of thousands of people last year were expelled from their insurance coverage when it came time for the company to pay, if your bill is of a large size they will have private investigators research your life, people have been expelled for failing to report occasional headaches or for not reporting that their great grandfather had an illness they did not know about.

Just being covered is not an accurate portrayal of what can happen, the above kills tens of thousands of people yearly.

And tens of thousands of people will continue to die yearly after it is fully implemented. Maybe more.

1. Josak profile image59

tens of thousands fewer will, factually they are now covered by an 750 000 dollar limit, that has already started saving lives. Your conclusion has no evidence at all, that care is being instituted as we speak and will save tens of thousands of lives according to professional estimates.

When those taxes which are supposed to fund this start getting diverted by the politicians....and they will....this house of cards will fall.

1. Josak profile image59

Like has happened in precisely none of the dozens of countries which have done this.

13. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

H'mm, I always thought the job of "Public Servants" was to carry out the work and the will of the people. If the changes are introduced, but not implimented by others, then those others are obviously looking for some kind of "incentive" to do it.

My experience of politicians is that they are always privately wondering "what's in it for me?"...

But maybe I am wrong, as I don't follow American politics so much...

14. startupninja profile image60
    startupninjaposted 11 years ago

Vermont is going forward to be the first state to implement a single payer health insurance system in the US.
    If my analysis is correct and they usually are when I dedicated some attention to an issue, this would mean that, provided the voters of Vermont remain steadfast in their ideals and they keep electing people like the great Mr. Bernie Sanders, in less than a decade, New York, Washington, California, Hawaii & Illinois will follow suit.
    Once the obvious benefits of the single payer system become evident and immune to negative ads and propaganda, it would be inconceivable for any state to ignore the implication of the Obama healthcare reforms.

Vermont is no surprise and Bernie Sanders is an avowed Socialist.

1. Josak profile image59

See he is actual socialist (quite a mild one but a real socialist)

Vermont has one of the lowest unemployment in the country, fewest foreclosures, tiny crime rates and poverty rates and great education stats, I hope that success continues.

Yes. He's what we don't want.

1. Josak profile image59

OH GOD NO NOT LOW UNEMPLOYMENT RATES!!!!

That would keep the GOP out of office...

1. Josak profile image59

True.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

Logically, but not necessarily.

They'll shift the focus off jobs onto Taxes.
                  They will always have TAXES and apparently TAXES are the same as DEATH (at least how they are spun by the GOP puppetmasters).

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

It is inconceivable NOW!

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Obamacare - Affordable Health Care Act = Status Quo Checkmate!

16. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Let's see. Governors. Publicly dissing Obamacare (but not their citizens, of course).
    Jindal, Christie.
    I can't imagine that ALL these governors are angling to be tapped by Romney, can you?
    There must be some other logical explanation.

17. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Politicking is what they do best!

18. Cody Hodge profile image60
    Cody Hodgeposted 11 years ago

Why didn't Obama tout the Vermont plan when he was talking about expanding medicare to help more people?

It seems like the better sell would have been to introduce this legislation as a stop-gap until enough states were on board with the single-payer system. Granted, the GOP (and their supporters) would NEVER go for it. However, it probably would have won over enough moderates (assuming they still exist) and independents to avoid the yelling and howling from the right.

1. startupninja profile image60
      startupninjaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

cuz the bible belt will go berserk and decide to start another civil war without truly understanding or knowing why big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)