Is giving money the only way to help poor people?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 441 discussions (619 posts)
  1. BloggerBinding profile image58
    BloggerBindingposted 12 years ago

I just feel they need oppourtunity! Bombarding them with "free" money won't teach them a thing on how to continously get money; like earning from a job does! They will get stuck in a rut of receiving donations instead of seizing oppourtunity to work for it. Those who don't get any oppourtunitites may need a helping hand!

Eduction is an obvious factor but if they are beyond the ability of being educated then they still need different oppourtunities. What happened to working your way up? People expect so much to happen so quickly.

2. katwoman55 profile image60
    katwoman55posted 12 years ago

Well, of course it is not the only way to help poor people! But let me say that it is ONE great way to help. Money can make anyone more comfortable, make his life easier, and alleviate stress. Just having a little bit to spend is like gold when you live in poverty or have poverty or below poverty income to live on.

Looking at the culprits, many of the issues with poverty involves birth. More and more humans are being born.This is what needs to be corrected. Make laws, enforce rules.

What situation are we talking about here anyway? B/C it will depend upon the situation. Each case of poverty affects each person differently...

For example, like those commercials and mail with kids holding cups with bloated bellies, wanting food...we have all seen them. I say that we need to take care of our own, then help others. If each one of us would take care of self, all would be well in all countries. So perhaps it is a real good idea to let those other countries find an answer, like birth control! Make them stop bringing these poor little children into the world to starve! Why are they getting pregnant ~ what is the motivation? Religious reasons?

I think that we can be humble, be kind to those less fortunate in the world, be passionate, give them a couple of dollars if possible, if not, support them with love and active listening. Try to relate, if you can't then try to find a point to ask more about. Sometimes the poor need to talk, they need to cry, and they need love without a lot of conditions.

Making them a dinner, giving them a warm blanket or a bowl of fruit, a Bible, a pen and paper, a coloring book, some music to play, or something that could teach something or/and instill positive messages. These types of caring and loving could make or break the poor.

It is that important people!

By the way, I do agree with giving the poor jobs, but that still will not fix the poverty! They would only turn into the working poor with a low income. I know, because I have lived this all my life.I agree with giving them that fish too...

3. dotzbegins1 profile image59
    dotzbegins1posted 12 years ago

If we give them " PURE EUDCATION "  .. it will be the best way for them to come out of poverty !!!!

4. m2webs profile image61
    m2websposted 12 years ago

It is not the solution to give them something. Solution is to let them have a chance. Rich countries does not give to poor ones, they just steal everything from them.

Russians are stealing from former russian countries, US is stealing from oil rich and poor countries, other are stealing from their colonies... In order to make one american happy you need to make few of others poor. Not all the people can be happy.

Who earns from african diamonds? Who earns from oil rich countries, for sure not their citizens.

5. profile image49
    biddycattposted 12 years ago

no all the charity is not solving the problem, the only way that can work is by supplying birth control . This is not racist, it is the only way to a reasonable standard of living, to keep the population at a sustainable level. Unfortunately feeding the starving without population control will only leed to worse famines in the future. I am answering regarding present famine in africa, not the poor in america!!

6. bekahbeast profile image58
    bekahbeastposted 12 years ago

Definately not. You can enlighten those people on the free wonders in life ~

7. Frank Shields profile image60
    Frank Shieldsposted 12 years ago

How I define poor, 1. not rich: lacking money or material possessions. 
    2.  affected by poverty: characterized by widespread or evident poverty a poor part of town one of the poorest countries in the world In poverty.
    3.  inferior: not of good quality or not in good condition 
    You'll can get rid of poverty by education and training individual with a skill that will make then productive and people that they are not inferior, teach them that they can do of things throught Christ Jesus, which give them the ability to learn a skill to be productive in life. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and after his righteouness. Charity started at home and spread abroad. There is enouch of money in this world to be extended to the poors that in poverty. Our country economy is in big trouble at this given moment. Trying to find a solution to the problem. They need turn to almighty God for instruction on how to turn this country around in it hardships.

8. amramoor profile image59
    amramoorposted 12 years ago

No
    Giving jobs is the best way to help
    i think so

9. rautsharad profile image64
    rautsharadposted 12 years ago

No, Not at all.
    We make them lazy by giving them money. Help must be given to them able so that they themselve make money. again, we can help them many ways by giving them medical aids, educational help, healthy food, Clothes, shelter if required instead of giving money directly.

1. MonkeyShine75 profile image61
      MonkeyShine75posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do we let them starve and go naked in the meantime? I don't think so

10. profile image50
    nhojnesnejposted 12 years ago

You CAN get rid of poverty by teaching people about their thinking process, the difference between "I want" and "I need..." and helping them get a job

11. fdoleac profile image60
    fdoleacposted 12 years ago

Educating them to the basics of nutrition and cooking will extend their limited resources.

12. profile image0
    askahealerposted 12 years ago

It's not the only way and I don't even think it's the best way to help.  There's that old saying about the difference between giving a person a fish and feeding them for a day or teaching a person to fish and feeding them for a lifetime.  Giving of one's time to teach, to educate, to be a way-shower beats giving bucks any day in my book.

13. randomizing profile image79
    randomizingposted 12 years ago

Money can help but if people are so poor, i think they would need also moral consolation. Imagine how depressed they are by realizing they have few chances of living. Money helps them, yes, but moral support is a very great thing as well.

14. Ruchira profile image74
    Ruchiraposted 12 years ago

Poverty is usually associated with the lack of money to provide the essential stuff. So, a person could either donate money or help provide a needy person with the essentials that he is in need of.

15. profile image57
    elliegouldingposted 12 years ago

Absolutely not! You can help poor people in so many ways!

You could donate clothing and blankets!

You could donate old toys and books!

You could buy toiletries!

There's so much more too!

16. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 12 years ago

Money for training, money to teach a trade or skill, money for education.  A building made into a Community Center for Homeless or Down-On-Their-Luck people at a very inexpensive cost.  Showers, rented cots, kitchen areas with Microwaves, Vending Machines, a First Aid station, a room for TV, employment help information - all sorts of reading materials - a play area for kids -Volunteer Staff & Security - a couple of big cities could try an idea like this on a trial basis. Donations or a fund raiser would probably be needed to get a project like this off the ground.  It would show that America really cares for our down trodden in these uncertain times.

17. Lazy Dayz profile image59
    Lazy Dayzposted 12 years ago

There are many ways besides money to help poor people. However, they are poor because of the lack of money so it is a catch 22. Schooling is a way to help... grants to further their education so they can begin to self sustain. Food... to keep them going and not hungry. Shelter... to keep them warm. Every person has a unique situation. No two families are poor because of the same cause, but we all need the same things to sustain us.

18. Jessica741 profile image61
    Jessica741posted 12 years ago

No, no, no, no. Giving money to the poor people isn't solving a problem, what can they do for this money just buy some food for a week, then what be hungry and dirty again? I think people should at least give a free room if they have a house, let them shower, give some money $10 is okay, to buy some cheap clothes, and food. After that when they're settled just help them get a job and earn their own money.

19. dredcuan profile image91
    dredcuanposted 12 years ago

Giving money can really help but not the best solution for their present situation.  I remember one bible quote: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  So why giving just money if you can give work for them that can really help them for a longer time.  Also, helping them in that way can improve their sense of responsibility.

20. cheeco profile image41
    cheecoposted 12 years ago

No,definitely not by sharing their grief and sorrows is another mean.

21. AllSuretyBonds profile image58
    AllSuretyBondsposted 12 years ago

I do not believe that the only way to help poor people is giving them money. I think that service can be a great thing for poor people. Also being a friend and a listener.

22. regina s profile image59
    regina sposted 12 years ago

Donating money is wonderful, but not the only way to help people who struggle with their socioeconomic status.  There are homeless shelters, non-profit organizations whose purpose is to assist people who are homeless in finding the right resources for housing, food, income, etc. and they always need volunteers to help with various programs.  You should check out some of these organizations and their volunteer programs.  Giving of your time can be much more valuable than giving money.  Contact your local churches as well...I am not a religious person, but I have found that most churches have some kind of community program where they assist people in need with resources.  Check them out!

23. profile image0
    Del Sandeenposted 12 years ago

I don't think so. I think you can give of your time, which, IMO is more valuable. I also agree very strongly of giving an education, in whatever field.

24. nipnapcreations profile image60
    nipnapcreationsposted 12 years ago

No, you can't. The best thing to do is help and help them thrive. Create a community for them. Help them learn things, teach them things, provide them with tools to end up making their own money. Teach them to plant, fish, farm, create for them homes and teach them how to build their own homes.

25. profile image56
    floridaduiposted 12 years ago

No! why! helping poor by giving money is not a solution by getting rid of poverty. Provide them jobs and education, would do. Money losses someday but not intellectual capacity.

26. Nspeel profile image61
    Nspeelposted 12 years ago

Defiantly not and unless your actually giving your donations to a family that needs them a lot of money is pocketed or put into some ones pocket somewhere.

27. melodyts profile image60
    melodytsposted 12 years ago

I agree with you. Giving alms is not the way to get rid of poverty instead some of the beggars will abuse those generous people like keep on asking for money. I guess, government will be the one to take action with this kind of situation.

28. profile image57
    dzaputoposted 12 years ago

"You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money. - P. J. O'Rourke"  this is nonsense, of course if you give a family that has no money and living in a broken down shack $200,000 dollars, they would not be poor anymore (though 6 months later they may be again).  obviously this is not a practical solution though if the goal is to end all poverty, which I don't think is possible because there is always going to be a percentage on the populace this are only interested in feeding their heads with booze or crack or whatever and will never be capable of functioning in the society we have created.   : )

29. Storiedicoaching profile image61
    Storiedicoachingposted 12 years ago

"True generosity consists precisely in fighting to destroy the causes which nourish false charity".
    Paulo Freire

30. powerofknowledge1 profile image61
    powerofknowledge1posted 12 years ago

Giving money to poor people is not only the solution help them. Poverty cannot be solved out by only giving money to poor people.

In my opinion poverty can be solved out by giving them better education so that poor people can get better job. If they will able to get good education then there is no poverty in any country at all. Today education is only for rich people. A middle class family not able to pay the school fee for their kids. So i think best way to remove poverty and starvation from any country is Education. If our kids and people are educated they will able to build a better society in which there is starvation at all. Everyone will be treated equally. They know what is right and what is wrong. They know the "Rights" which their own Constitution provide him/her. No one can make him/her fool.  And if our citizens are educated they can easily stop corruption. And if there is no corruption then I think everyone will able to fulfill his/her desires without any fear. And this will make a country free from poverty and starvation.

So I think proper education is the right way to help poor people instead of giving them money.

31. Iggy Falcone profile image59
    Iggy Falconeposted 12 years ago

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Chinese proverb

Giving money is NEVER the solution. It's actually a way out of social interaction. If you don't want them to be poor, you need to help them help themselves, spend time with them, show them you care yet never give them anything if they haven't earned it. That's why social security sucks... it just throws someone else's money at the poor people to make the rest of us feel a bit better and sweeps them under the rug.

32. mirza shahzad profile image61
    mirza shahzadposted 12 years ago

NO! But sharing Happiness does. I won´t consider myself rich (with money) unless i become a billionaire like Bill Gates. And the chances are that i never would be. So i am quite a poor myself these days.

33. profile image0
    Vanessa McKayposted 12 years ago

No. More than money is needed.  Education is the key to anyones success either formal education or business skill education.  However money is needed to provided these resources.  An organisation called Women for Women runs a sponsorship program where mothers in need are matched with a sponsor who contributes $30 per month which is past onto the recipient as an interets free business loan.  Whilst in the program the women are taught the skills relevant to making a living usually built around their  existing talents.  For example they maybe able to sew, produce crafts, farm, grow produce, cook and so on.  They are taught how to turn these home skills into a business that will allow them to support their children.  After twelve weeks the women graduate confident and capable of making their own way and another women will be matched with her sponsor and so it continues.

34. profile image0
    ghiblipgposted 12 years ago

the answer to this question is clear. NO.
    but if giving money is to help them to get better education. Then it make senses.

35. profile image58
    kat74posted 12 years ago

I think the best way to help the poor is to show them how to make the money themselves. If you give them money today, what will happen tomorrow, so if one can be able to help a few by showing them ways of generating some income, you would have helped more that one. Money solves only some problems but not all the problems. Self reliance is the key.

36. Silent Sinner profile image60
    Silent Sinnerposted 12 years ago

When giving poor people money I believe you are harming more than helping. I try not to give them money to often though sad faces are my weakness.
    By giving them money you give them the freedom to spend that money.That freedom can influence their choices and usually lead to the more dangerous choice.
    When giving them money you are providing lemonade without the knowledge to make. Simply hand them lessons and teach them to make lemonade. smile

37. DJProfessorK profile image61
    DJProfessorKposted 12 years ago

Money is not the answer, but the means to improve themselves is one such way.

Some prisons have rehabilitative job training programs that have done great things for those in that program. I'm sure it would work outside of the prison system as well.

38. davidparklg profile image61
    davidparklgposted 12 years ago

My answer is NO. Money can be vanished anytime beyond your notice. Helping poor people in finding jobs,how to live life, not losing hope for any circumstances, and motivating them to be determined with their dreams can be better than giving money.

39. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 12 years ago

No, just being there for guidance and direction is just as important. Money can not give them the ability to achieve their own responsibilities. I was told to clothe the poor and if the poor are hungry, they are to work for their food. Give unto others as you would want them to give unto you, is what a sermon I heard a long time ago as a child. At that time, I knew it was more than money to help the poor.

40. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 12 years ago

What a limited thought process, donating food, clothing and cars is always a plus.

41. nenytridiana profile image56
    nenytridianaposted 12 years ago

Giving a hope is better, giving chances is wise. I see a lot of donation for them but every access of job and business are closed.

42. shivnandan profile image61
    shivnandanposted 12 years ago

May be not you can give them a good work.

43. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

I think most not for profit organizations would tell you volunteerism is as valuable to them as money when it comes to helping others.  Good Question.

44. vianasya profile image60
    vianasyaposted 12 years ago

I don't think so. Giving money isn't the only way to help poor people. It only helps once when they got starved and use the money to buy food. I prefer to give poor people a simple method about how to make money, about finding job so they can continuously earn a living.

45. shwetha123 profile image60
    shwetha123posted 12 years ago

Giving money is not the only way to help poor people. If you really want to help poor people then give them free education. A better education give these poor people an opportunity to work. They will do some work to earn their bread and butter and can will able to feed their family with pride.

So in my opinion better education and job opportunity are necessary for people if you want to help them with respect to give them money,

46. stariswhoiam profile image60
    stariswhoiamposted 12 years ago

nope!
    you can give them food.
    you can give them a rose (a beautiful gift can put a smile on someone's face)
    you could provide them the comfort of communication(a hug, conversation...)
    also, the media stigmatizes homeless people too much,
    the messages in the media can be sooooo false,
    but there are people that believe it,
    & if less people believed those messages,
    homeless people would get more help
    homeless people are people too,
    & like a child could have gotten kicked out of the house at a young age, it wouldn't be their fault & they'd be just like anyone else, only life dealt them an unfortunate circumstance

47. dhirenshah profile image58
    dhirenshahposted 12 years ago

Money help few..
    if understand people first than help as per their demand.
    Example: If one boy stay in a small place. age is 13 to 14. may be he need...
    1. food, 2. Education, 3. clothes 4. books 5. school fees etc..
    IF this boy get support and go to school with his fees, clothes etc....finish his qualification with hard work and dadication and boy will be success in his life and help to other boy's too..
    If people take full Responsibility for care one boy or one family or Animal etc..good for both. Do small help but with good direction. you must must must watch like own child.
    If one boy Educated then he help may be Million or More.
    Education is first Priority for child.
    Don't Money...Money, Time, Focus and most important care of this people.

I failed again and again in my life that is why i m success- Michael Jordan.

48. superlowrise profile image63
    superlowriseposted 11 years ago

It is a fact that giving aid to foreign countries such as impoverished African nations does more harm than good.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123758895999200083.html

49. profile image52
    Amaneceraposted 11 years ago

Uhm is a interesting question. I suffer the two faces of the problem. Before I work for Human Rights in many poor countries and I need to face the corruption there inside the NGO and Charities. Person with only one Moral I reject all that money laundry and I attack back to charities and not charities . Example Mother Teresa in India where Kids living poor and in bad conditions because the Organization send the money of the donations to  the Vatican. After a Police Investigation and other investigations by my self the Father Vicente Ferrer is evicted of India. But no news o media come to public that. Anyway hi still in Europe collect money for the poor or that hi say. The problem is not only that people is in more of the organizations. The money laundry is the first objective and the poor people is the Object for get money.
    I think many times how to change all that. And is impossible if Human not change the actual economic system and make more equal word. Of course Europe. USA and China are not interest in stop capitalism . Anyway again I not think the problem go to be longer on. A new revolution or a new international war need to come. Because the full system not have any more any stability. Give to the poor is good a we need to do that. But we need to give also alternative for the poor people start living and getting income with they own jobs. And the own afford. I come back from Asia and not one now is interest in give job to one activist of human rights. I become poor like the poor people I help before. And now I think I can ask money but money really solve my life ? uhm yeah possible today I can eat but what? tomorrow? Some one go to give me money? or I go to died in the street? Really money solve the problem one day one month but not solve the problem. Jobs solve the problem and conscience to help others for they become independent and come get a normal life. No living of charity. I suffer to much in Asia cry and suffering because other suffer and I cry and suffer here because in both places I live and think alone.

50. rahulshaah profile image59
    rahulshaahposted 11 years ago

Rather than giving money...one should try and give food to the poor people..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)