Trump Indicted

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (434 posts)
  1. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 13 months ago

Trump indicted by N.Y. grand jury, first ex-president charged with crime

A Manhattan grand jury has voted to indict former president Donald Trump, multiple people familiar the matter said, becoming the first person in U.S. history to serve as commander in chief and then be charged with a crime.

The grand jury had been hearing evidence about hush money paid to adult film actress Stormy Daniels during Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, allegedly to keep her from saying she’d had a sexual encounter with Trump years earlier.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- … ey-payment

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/03/30 … tment-news

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald … -rcna73588

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 13 months agoin reply to this

Finally, that puts an end to speculation about his guilt. Let see what the apologists on the Right have to say about this.

1. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61
        Coltonlarsen1975posted 13 months agoin reply to this

Can you say "witch hunt?"  "Soros backed DA?" You know what's coming

Yeah, somehow the "deep state" is behind all of this.

I am still nervous, Trump is the clown prince of crime. He may still pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last hour. I won't rest assured until I hear the comforting clang of metal coming together.

It is always advised to grasp a slippery serpent firmly with both hands.

But then, there is Act 2, coming soon to this theatre. Pence is now compelled to testify before a grand jury and Little Lord Fauntleroy will sing like a canary, so as to not perjure himself.

Like Ed Sullivan used to say, "it is going to be a really big shoe"

1. Valeant profile image86
            Valeantposted 13 months agoin reply to this

The far-right is really quiet tonight.  It's like crickets.

It reflects a profound sense of grief, as if your daddy died.

They all ask for privacy during this difficult time

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 13 months agoin reply to this

No, it does not put an end to speculation about his guilt. The grand jury system is set up to assist the prosecution, as I am sure you are very aware if you have knowledge of civil rights in the US.

After the grand jury, there is this thing called a hearing, and then this other thing called a trial, where you can sometimes be judged by a jury of your peers.

You are correct, of course.

It is just a step in the attempt to bring to justice one who so cleverly avoided being held accountable for his actions. So, the days of his walking inbetween the raindrops may well be coming to end.

That prospect makes one giddy and over-exuberant.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

I would find it hard to be giddy even if some local DA in Mississippi decided to prosecute Uncle Joe for his efforts to support China.

It is political terrorism and an attempt by one facist to destroy the candidate of another party. It has nothing to do with a crime, which is why even Joe and his DA decided it was not something that could be prosecuted.

When the Republicans are in power again and use this as a precedent to exhume Joe and prosecute him and his family, are you still going to support it?

Doc, You are out of touch, Trump has been involved in more than a few questionable practices, and remains the only former President ever with so sordid a record.

IF, Republicans get into power and they find a Democrat leader with as tarnished a record as Donald Trump, I would not sympathize.

All this talk about Joe Biden is just rightwing theatre.

But again, I forget that you tend to find favor in rightwing, reactionary authoritarian types.

You may think that it is out of touch to not want to politically persecute those in another party, but I disagree. I am sure that if they look hard enough they can find plenty of reasons to prosecute Joe. Is it correct to attack those you disagree with?

Doc, I disagree with Trump, Trumpism and everything that it represents.

Joe Biden has no where near the record of lawlessness that Trump displays, daily.

But attack is reserved only under the rule of law. If you think that what happened in New York regarding Trumps fraudulent activity is over the top, wait until Mike Pence testifies as to how Trump was behind much of the shaninigans, usurping the democratic process on J6. And he will talk, as he will have to, or will he commit hari-kari in reverence to his master?

The Trump name is synonymous with corruption and dishonesty and now it is time to pay the piper.

2. Valeant profile image86

And what Mississippi state law would 'Uncle Joe' have broken?  And when did Biden live in Mississippi?

Trump was a resident of New York when he allegedly committed these crimes there.  And New York has a history of prosecuting (and convicting) politicians that break the law.

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/new-y … oliticians

It's no wonder that the GOP has rushed to Trump's defense.  They continually display their own inability to believe in free and fair elections, believing that the ends justify the means so long as it ends with their candidate in power.

I surmised the first impeachment would fail for that very reason.  Today's GOP does not see blackmailing another country as outside their playbook.  Nor do they find an incitement of an insurrection past their acceptable norms when they failed to convict in the second impeachment. 

It's part of what makes today's GOP so dangerous.  There is no norm they won't cross or any law they are afraid to break to gain power.  It's full on autocracy when they place their party above the law.

You're right that this is a political prosecution.  But not because he's a politician, but because it's an attempt to safeguard the laws that govern the political process.  Laws that one Donald J. Trump continually violated, allegedly (for now).

Any DA anywhere can make up charges and prosecute someone, as I am sure you are already aware. If they decide to prosecute Joe for influence peddling I am sure they can find a law that fits their needs.

When a DA decides to prosecute, the lack of an accurate law is not usually their limiting factor.

Actually, I am not aware of that at all.  Especially since you just got done chiding Cred on the legal system and now appear to be able to so easily dismiss the Grand Jury system that exists to prevent such prosecutorial misconduct.

Finding an applicable law is only part of the problem.  Having the jurisdiction (was the crime committed in their jurisdiction) and having the evidence are also major parts of being able to convince a grand jury to bring charges.

You are not aware and think that the law, without reference to the color of your skin or your economic influence is upheld blindly in all places in the US? I guess you also think that all the people in prison are guilty to.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
              Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months agoin reply to this

No more than I supported Republicans when they were in power and impeached a president for consensual though adulators' sex between two adults. If I were in the GOP I wouldn't rush to cry out "frivolous prosecution".

He was indicted for crimes which will be proven beyond a reasonable doubt or not. This process will be followed in Georgia and Florida.

1. Readmikenow profile image94
                Readmikenowposted 12 months agoin reply to this

"impeached a president for consensual though adulators' sex between two adults."

You might want to read some history on that one. clinton was actually impeached for committing perjury when he lied under oath about his affair. Perjury is a crime. A serious crime.

Credence2posted 12 months agoin reply to this

I am less concerns about Clinton's sexual dalliance when compared with far more weighty matters like undermining the integrity our of legal and political system. This was what Nixon had done, and what Trump is accused of that makes Nixon's indiscretions look like Angel Cake in comparison.

DrMark1961posted 12 months agoin reply to this

"undermining the integrity of our legal system"

Like commiting perjury under oath? Bill Clinton, wherefore art thou?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Readmikenow: You are exactly right. He lied about sex, and was prosecuted by a speaker of the house from my county who informed his wife that he was leaving her for another woman while she lay in a hospital bed fighting cancer. Research turns up a lot of things we don't want as part of the argument we are making.

None of this information changes the fact that Trump attempted to overturn a presidential election. We know this. What he did to finagle a "win" in the electoral college after losing by three million votes in 2020 has yet to be clearly proven. But I'm sure it eventually will be. That is not hatred. It is wanting to see our democracy preserved.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
                    Sharlee01posted 12 months agoin reply to this

This case is in no respect about "rump attempted to overturn a presidential election.

Fact -- Trump won in the 2016 period By a method our country uses to determine presidential elections.

Trump has not been accused of any form of election fraud in regard to the 2016 election. In fact, it has been well proven it was the Democrats that lied to a FISA court, and the Clinton campaign paid for the
                    Steel dossier. And used that document even knowing it was not factual

.And nothing will change the facts that Hilary Clinton not only kept top secret documents on a server... That server was in her home.  She deletes 33,000 emails after being told not to delete files.

Source on Clinton
                    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na … story.html
                    Clinton campaign, DNC fined by FEC for lying about Steele dossier payments
                    https://nypost.com/2022/03/30/clinton-c … -payments/

FISA Court
                    Surveillance Court Finds FBI Repeatedly Misused FISA Program to Conduct Unlawful Surveillance of Americans
                    April 29, 2021
                    https://epic.org/surveillance-court-fin … americans/
                    https://www.justice.gov/usao-ct/pr/fbi- … -hurricane
                    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/17/politics … index.html

3. GA Anderson profile image90
        GA Andersonposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Since you opened the door . . . let me offer a less fact-needy tangent: The political effect of the indictment.

My perception of the media-presented 'speculation' is this: An ex-president has been indicted for a felony crime that requires the bridge of a misdemeanor crime to exist. If that is basically correct (and there is no secret-secret stuff none of us know about), then I think this move is so dumb it borders on stupid. Not the move to indict him, but the decision to do it now.

Guilt or innocence has no part in that reasoning, it's simply about the national political effect. I think Trump supporters will latch on to that misdemeanor 'bridge' and use it to denigrate the ultimate felony charge.

With the other investigations (with much more serious and less debatable crimes) winding up, this indictment will be portrayed—to the Right, as analogous to throwing a shoe while the gun is being loaded.

Again, through media presentation, the other investigations (Georgia?) are nearing the indictment stage. If New York had waited a little longer they wouldn't be handing the Right a legitimately stretchable defensive point to poke back with.

That point isn't about letting anyone off the hook or delaying justice, it is about poor strategy that I think will be more harmful than its value of being 'just.'

How about that, a Trump tangent that doesn't require discussion of Trump's actions.

GA

Considering the early reporting that states that it is a 30-count indictment, crossing the bridge to a felony seems like it will have many opportunities.  Let alone that the attorney that testified that he acted at Trump's direction and on his behalf was already convicted on these felonies.

And who cares if Trump supporters feel the need to denigrate the felony charge(s)?  These are the same people that live in their own alternate reality that Trump won in 2020.  They can be convinced of pretty much anything.  That's another big part of what makes them dangerous.

In some ways, this could be the surge that breaks the dam and sets the stage for that Georgia indictment that appears to also be ready for presentation.

This is about protecting the sanctity of elections and on three different occasions, Trump is alleged to have violated the law in regards to elections.  Twice, there was an attempt to hold him accountable through impeachment.  But Trump's supporters in Congress fell back on political reasons, much like Clinton's did as well, to allow him to escape culpability for his crimes and misdemeanors.

Electing someone who either does not know the law or believes himself to be above it, to a position to enforce the laws of our land, is simple idiocy.

1. GA Anderson profile image90

You are defending the indictment. My criticism was of the timing. A timing that leaves room for those Trump supporters you speak of to use that 'bridge' argument to reinforce their 'alternate reality.'

The DA didn't need to hand them that opportunity.

GA

Sharlee01posted 13 months agoin reply to this

Are you saying if Trump broke laws, Braggs should wait to indict him due to political reasons?  I see your point about handing Trump supporters fodder, but should we condone holding off with an indictment to suit
              either political party?

Should timing play a part when a crime was committed?  I must assume Braggs has evidence of a crime or even multiple crimes. In my view,  he would be remiss if he did not indict Trump if he has evidence of a crime.

I think weaponizing an indictment to benefit one political party should be a crime.  So if Braggs held out to stop -- Trump supporters using the indictment as a 'bridge' argument to reinforce their 'alternate reality', would he not be in some form weaponizing a crime?

Or is he weaponizing charging Trump due to Trump running in 2024 for the presidency?

How can one not see the irony both ways? Timing in this case will play a big part in the minds of Americans in both parties.

This IMO is a no-win scenario.  Look here not there

My response seemed so logical that I didn't consider your questions. My criticism does add political influence to a legal determination. That's not what I was thinking. I wasn't thinking about the benefit to either party, even though the whole concept of 'handing Trump supporters a reason to believe' is just that.

Looking at the original comment, with this thought: "Guilt or innocence has no part in that reasoning, it's simply about the national political effect. " I was thinking about the effect on the national political mood, as in giving gas to the extremes, primarily of the Right but both sides have fringes that will latch onto this issue.

The 'timing' thing I was thinking about wasn't of picking the most advantageous time (for someone's benefit) but picking the least disadvantageous time. I think everything about pacing and timing in this type of legal issue is legitimately the prosecutor's prerogative (within legal rules of course).

That's the process behind my 'dumb' criticisms. This particular indictment is said to be one of four, with a couple of those due to also wrap up soon. It appears the Georgia one is the most obviously serious charge. It's dumb to start with your weakest shot knowing it will strengthen your opponent.

So, I don't think my perspective is truly playing politics (because I was thinking national and not party) but I can't defend it beyond this explanation. Mea culpa.

GA

Not sure why my comment or my precocious question should make you feel you need to defend your comment. I did deflect and hoped to dig deeper into your thoughts on the basic issue.

I thought beginning with my second paragraph my context was sharing my thoughts, and hoping you might address them.

But, my bad, I did deflect and perhaps shared a view that was in no respect requested.

Back up a step. You should reread my response. It wasn't defensive, it was explanatory. Your questions were good ones that I hadn't considered because I didn't give my 'thought' enough thought after I thought it before forming it into a perspective. The mea culpa was sincere. That was a 'my bad'.

So I did reconsider what I thought, and as explained, I think with charitable consideration, my point of "national political effect" might be viewed as different than 'partisan political effect.' If that stretch works, then I'm okay with my first thought.

To your thought about 'digging deeper', think about our recent exchanges without your previous perception that they were defensive. If you read them again, thinking of them as explanations, you will see that you have been digging deeper into my thoughts.

GA

Trump supporters are going to outrage regardless of the timing.  It's just part of their make up.  Anyone who attacks their cult leader will get their ire, no matter how damning the evidence of his lawlessness.  In their eyes, he can do no wrong.

In terms of timing, there is no ideal time.  The changing of the DA in NY likely led to a delay of charges being brought, but the timing of the indictment will likely ensure a trial happens before the 2024 election.  That makes it about as ideal as one could hope for.

There may not be an ideal time but I'm saying there are 'better' times. My point was to pick the 'outrage' you have to defend. I think defending Georgia-type charges are easier than these 'New York' style charges (that may not be a legit characterization, but you know it is the one that is out there).

GA

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
                  peoplepower73posted 13 months agoin reply to this

GA:  There are different investigations going on about Trump.  The Manhattan DA is just one.  The Georgia-type investigation and document violations are being done by Jack Smith as appointed by the AG Merrick Garland. Apparently those indictments are still in process There is no master control over the timing of the announcements.

I do believe there is communication between the different investigation leaders. It seems logical that there would be, if only in instances where they may overlap. I do believe there have been 'timing' and progress discussions among those leaders. That has no 'nefarious political' inferences. It's just a logical assumption.

I think it is also a logical assumption that when the stakes are as high as these the leaders of the leaders are also almost certainly involved in timing and announcement decisions. Again, no negative inferences. Contrarily it would almost be a leadership failure to not be involved.

I think there was and is flexibility in the indictment process — without that action being driven by political partisanship. I have no idea if that is the case with this indictment, but there is a lot of expert speculation from the Left's media presentations that say it could be a legitimate argument.

Imagine my shock when CNN stroked me with bits of confirmation bias.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

As you know I am a republican, and I have outwardly said I will support any candidate that runs on the Republican ticket in 2024. So, I hope my comment will be taken as not being biased.

I am under the assumption that it is customary when a Grand Jury convenient and request an indictment. That indictment request is handled with respectable speed. As it would appear that the Grand Jurys request has been handled in the case of Trump.

I feel an indictment should not be weaponized, and held off on until the time the indictment would pack a political punch. This indictment will go into our history books as the first president to be indicted. I would surmise that Braggs handled this case with kid gloves, and did what would be expected of him. To treat the indictment as he would any other indictment.

I think he was dammed if he did, and dammed if he did not. I think he followed protocol.  Is that not what we should demand from our law enforcement agencies?

This indictment will be looked at as a political ploy. And the charges just may be drummed up as a ploy - who knows? The charges are yet to be seen.  But, I am not on board with the timing of the indictment being a ploy.  I think Braggs followed his office's protocol.  I think if he held onto the indictment to place it into a line of indictments, it would have certainly reeked of a political ploy.

This will be such an interesting case to watch play out. I am going to try to hold onto the facts and let the rest go.

2. Credence2 profile image79

I see your point.

Well, I say that there is never a bad time to enforce the law. Part of our problem is that we have allowed political considerations to interfere with the fundamental principle, that no man is above the law.

Besides, Trump is as slippery a serpent as it gets, and I won't chance letting him get away again over more irrelevant technicalities, delays and excuses.

My understanding is that many felony crimes require the bridge of a misdemeanor crime to exist. That doesn't make them any less serious crimes.

There has never been a bridge between state law and federal law.  It has never happened before.

Valeantposted 12 months agoin reply to this

And yet, the crimes that Trump committed were, in the simplest of terminology, in furtherance of other crimes - which is all the New York law requires.  One of those crimes was already proven when Cohen went to prison to it. 

And a second crime, which is not federal at all is tax crime.  Trump reimbursed Cohen for any tax liability on these personal payments he funneled through his business.  The fact that the false business entries also contain a tax crime means Bragg does not need to rely solely on the federal election crime component to make the felony charge stick.

Some legal touts say it is rare to use an alleged federal election-law violation to increase the state law misdemeanor of falsifying business records to a felony. Just has not happened.

It looks like it becomes tricky for Bragg’s prosecution is that the crimes he suggested at the press conference – which were campaign finance-related and election law-related – both are federal crimes.  What Braggs would be testing out in court is whether you can charge someone at a state level for committing a state-level offense behind a federal crime.

I think the fact that the Federal Government  (Barr or Garland) did not see a case to prosecute and dropped it. - Will help in Trump's case. The court may just toss it out.

Unless a judge does use a bridge. Not sure what this judge will do, follow precedence, or decide to make precedence.

Most judges will stick to the law, and what has come before.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
                Miebakagh57posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Where's or what precedence the judge to follow?                                  Or should he make an historical judgement? Bear in mind that the inviction question smack of hatre for Trump! Better throw the dirty into the paper bin and closed it.                                     God save America! God save Trump!

2. GA Anderson profile image90
            GA Andersonposted 12 months agoin reply to this

That may be the situation n some cases, but that is not the impression I am getting from almost all of the non-Right, non-Republican supportive 'legal opinions' being offered in the media—relative to this indictment.

I know what to expect from Right-leaning media and it doesn't look good when the Left-leaning media is saying the same thing.

GA

3. Sharlee01 profile image81

"Generally, a state cannot prosecute a federal crime. The federal government prosecutes federal crimes.

Criminal cases can fall under either state, federal, or concurrent jurisdiction. When a case falls under concurrent jurisdiction, both the state and the federal government can prosecute the crime based on their own laws. However, the state charge and the federal charge are usually slightly different."
            https://www.legalreader.com/can-a-state … isdiction.

That's correct.

4. Sharlee01 profile image81

I think before I say anything, and put myself out on a limb, I would like to hear the charges. Before I give credit or admire a "New York Grand Jury" I want to hear the charges.

So, that's what one Republican has to say at this point. Guess I just like to have all the facts before I share my view.

Yeah, Cred's rush to a guilty verdict seems very premature in a case that hasn't been adjudicated.

I will say this will be a very interesting trial.  I would think, (and I am going out on a limb) Braggs must have some very incriminating evidence of a crime. I just can't see him indicting Trump without some very factual crime.

I can't wait to hear about the charges.

"34 felony counts for falsification of business records," Yahoo News

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
            Ken Burgessposted 12 months agoin reply to this

It tarnishes the position, the Presidency, it weakens it, and thereby weakens the nation.

The office of the Presidency is supposed to be the 'leader of the world' or at the very least, the Leader of the 'Western World'.

Similar or greater in stature to General Secretary Xi, or other Presidents and Priemers of G20 nations.

I imagine the world is currently having a hard time accepting that they need to respect the American Office of the President, when the former is being prosecuted by a NY State Prosecutor and is being treated by the MSM as he is, and the current is busy stumbling and mumbling around, alienating long term allies, and readying for war against China and Russia.

No one had to imagine what the world thought of a President Trump as they were often seen laughing at him during gatherings. 

And Biden has solidified NATO as opposed to Trump who cozied up to dictators who do not believe in democracy such as Russia and North Korea.  That alienating allies comment was such projection it was comical.

Actually, what Trump did was de-escalate tensions around the world.

Trump eased tensions and kept us from additional wars.  If that is cozying up to dictators, then that, IMO, is a better alternative to sending millions of people to their deaths, and seeing tens of millions of people displaced and lives ruined.

Until the 2020 Pandemic, the world economy and global trade was humming along fine, gas was incredibly cheap, resources were plentiful.

By 2022 Biden had changed all that, we are now immersed in a growing military and economic conflict, and if you believe the rhetoric coming out of DC we are escalating toward a war with China as well as our proxy war with Russia.

The EU is being strangled of resources and cheap energy from Russia, the chances of many of their economies faltering are just as good as Russia.

China is strengthening its position globally with many former US allies, who are agreeing to transition to trading in the Yuan.  This is for economic reasons (interest and inflation) as much as it is how they see how America froze Russia's assets and they do not want to be the next nation to suffer America's wrath when they have an alternative to work with.

Biden solidifying NATO is nothing to crow about, the EU is totally reliant on the US now that it has alienated Russia, they didn't have much choice, especially after the Nord Stream Pipeline was blown up.

Holy rewriting of history. 

So none of our troops were attacked in Iran after we assassinated the General of a foreign army, we didn't abandon our allies (the Kurds) to be slaughtered, and we didn't free thousands of Taliban fighters before we got our people out of Afghanistan?  Not exactly de-escalating moves.

And let's be very clear that in 2018, the Trump State Department got warnings about risky testing in Wuhan labs and did nothing.  So, yes, the economy was humming along until an anti-science moron that the right elected didn't have the knowledge base to understand what was needed to ensure that risky testing did not turn into a global pandemic.  But you go ahead and blame Biden for the broken supply chains, crippling effects to global oil production, and historic debt that the US incurred over Trump's four years.

And I'll take a look around the world to know that the EU are our allies and not come on these forums to promote pro-Russia propaganda at every chance.  If I were a veteran, I'd be embarrassed to be standing up for a country that we are clearly opposing in a global conflict.

1. wilderness profile image96
                    wildernessposted 12 months agoin reply to this

What would you have advocated?  Nuking Wuhan?

Just how do you think a President can force China to stop their biological research?  The same way they have stopped Iran and N Korea in their research for a nuclear bomb?

But I like the way you get to blame Trump for a disease that originated naturally.  Is he also responsible for the millions of lives lost worldwide because he didn't shut down a foreign research lab before wild monkeys somewhere else got sick from a new, mutated, disease?  Did he surpass the death toll of Ghengis Kahn by not bombing Wuhan?

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

You are too funny.

Did you know that Russia had become the top exporter of some 20 critical resources, not just oil and gas, for world trade?

And now those resources are off the market, so to speak, not to mention what was lost from Ukraine.

There is a big difference between a virus and a war, and the devastation it brings to those in the region of the conflict.

2. peterstreep profile image80
      peterstreepposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Trump will play the victim and his followers too and he will combine this with a conspiracy theory. As this is classic fascist behavior.
      He feels superior and therefore everything others do to him is wrong.
      He will say that the country is a failed state because otherwise he would not have been arrested, and tell that it used to be great. (Make America Great AGAIN)

Common features of Fascism by Umberto Eco:
      Umberto Eco Makes a List of the 14 Common Features of Fascism
      FASCISM: An In-Depth Explanation

2. IslandBites profile image89

If true, this is so funny:

“I have gained such respect for this grand jury, & perhaps even the grand jury system as a whole.” Trump

I guess, we agree.

3. IslandBites profile image89

Defense attorney Joe Tacopina said Donald Trump will likely be arraigned early next week.

4. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 13 months ago

About time Trump has his day in an actual court to let the law decide his guilt or innocence.

https://hubstatic.com/16439518.jpg

5. Valeant profile image86

In his statement Thursday, DeSantis said the state would “not assist in an extradition request given the questionable circumstances at issue with this Soros-backed Manhattan prosecutor and his political agenda.”

So DeSantis is willing to break the law to assist a member of his party.  Not exactly shocking as the majority of the right thinks our laws should not apply to their party.

My common sense tells me DeSantis was politicking. Cozying up to Trump supporters.

I would think he would realize Trump would be turning himself in. Would have been interesting if Trump stayed in Florida, and Desantis had to back up his words.

I mean it was a win-win for DeSantis with Trump supporters.

Sad that antisemitic tropes are what warms up the base.

6. IslandBites profile image89

"This evening we contacted Mr. Trump’s attorney to coordinate his surrender to the Manhattan D.A.’s Office for arraignment on a Supreme Court indictment, which remains under seal," a spokesperson for the Manhattan District Attorney's Office said in a statement Thursday. "Guidance will be provided when the arraignment date is selected."

7. Valeant profile image86

And Islandbites, you spelled indicated wrong...

https://hubstatic.com/16439545_f1024.jpg

I will maintain my claim that Trump is a functional illiterate.

8. Valeant profile image86

This one had me laughing...

https://hubstatic.com/16439548.jpg

But on the more serious side, CNN is reporting it's a 30-count indictment:
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/30/politics … index.html

IslandBitesposted 13 months agoin reply to this

The guuurrll made me laugh. I needed it. Thanks. LOL

Waiting for the Lock him up, lock him up! in the next rally. roll

9. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 13 months ago

I am still waiting to see the actual charges.

"The indictment may come out with a crime that none of us have heard of," Turley said. "But for many months, this bootstrapping theory has been put out there, this idea that you could take a misdemeanor under New York law that has expired, that has a two-year statute of limitations, and revive it by connecting it to a federal crime, in this case, the federal election violation"

"Now, there's a host of problems with that," he continued. "First of all, it's a federal crime the Department of Justice chose not to prosecute. Bragg's own predecessor declined to prosecute it, but he is attempting to bootstrap that federal crime into a state case. And if that is the basis for the indictment, I think it's rather outrageous. I think it's legally pathetic."

"Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office was investigating Trump for an alleged hush money payment of $130,000 to adult film actress Stormy Daniels in 2016. The specific charges in the case are currently UNDER SEAL "
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/unprecede … y-pathetic

Will be very interesting to hear the charges.

10. emge profile image78
    emgeposted 13 months ago

I have been following this case with a lot of interest. When I was last in America just two months back, I could sense an undercurrent of tension and the country seems to be on edge. If Trump has committed a mistake or a the crime, then the law should I be allowed to take its course. The question arises how serious are the charges against Trump? to my  thinking if you can try Trump for these offenses, then there are so many presidents before him including Bush and Clinton who also should have been tried, and I do wonder why they were let off. That shows there is a partison approach in America, and it is all being engineered by the Democrats lead by Joe Biden, who himself has destroyed American prestige all over the globe. George Bush should've been tried for driving America into a war with tIraq while making false statements to Congress but obviously Trumps mistakes are magnified. All these actions show that under Joe Biden America is breathing is last in the oxygen tent, which is a shame.

Or you could see it as a correction.  That instead of the mistakes of past presidents to excuse the unlawful behavior of their predecessors, that making the statement that all men are equal under the law is the law of the land and will be enforced. 

Especially when the conduct has gotten so bad that it's cheating to become elected, blackmailing a different country to help a re-election, and then also trying to lie your way to a second term that you clearly lost, which all demand accountability.

emge Sir: Those presidents made mistakes, some could be considered criminal when you consider the consequences of them. But they did not attempt to overturn an election or incite people to riot and destroy historic property. Those are crimes against Democracy itself and are in a class by themself. It is always interesting to see our country through the eyes of someone looking in from the outside. Thank you for your comments and concerns.

11. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61
    Coltonlarsen1975posted 13 months ago

Let's remember that this type of indictment is not without precedent.  I'll point you back in time to Democrat  John Edwards.

The former senator and aspiring Democratic nominee had spent nearly a million dollars during the 2008 primary campaign trying to conceal an affair with a staffer. Four years later, a Republican prosecutor attempted to resurrect the scandal as a crime. His logic: the money was used to protect a political candidate from bad publicity and therefore constituted an illegal campaign contribution. Sound familiar?

Jurors ultimately declined to send him to prison for trying to conceal an extramarital affair. I do believe he paid large fines.
    Trump will most likely be dealt the same outcome.  Just a hunch that this isn't the best case against him.  Who knows, maybe Bragg has the clear and convincing (to a jury) evidence that campaign finance rules were violated.
    That being said, I'm anxiously awaiting the conclusion of the work of  Jack Smith and Fani Willis.

"The former senator and aspiring Democratic nominee had spent nearly a million dollars during the 2008 primary campaign trying to conceal an affair with a staffer. Four years later, a Republican prosecutor attempted to resurrect the scandal as a crime. His logic: the money was used to protect a political candidate from bad publicity and therefore constituted an illegal campaign contribution. Sound familiar? "

Good point to the fact that the ideal of enforcement of the law is not partisan. The only real complaint is that the Republicans are on the wrong side of it this time.

Not hearing the charges as of yet makes it hard to predict. Your sentiment makes sense.  I too am awaiting Jack Smith's findings, as well I am very curious as to what Fani Willis will end up doing.

12. IslandBites profile image89

"The Judge 'assigned' to my Witch Hunt Case, a 'Case' that has NEVER BEEN CHARGED BEFORE, HATES ME," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

"His name is Juan Manuel Marchan, was hand picked by Bragg & the Prosecutors, & is the same person who 'railroaded' my 75 year old former CFO, Allen Weisselberg, to take a 'plea' deal (Plead GUILTY, even if you are not, 90 DAYS, fight us in Court, 10 years (life!) in jail. He strong armed Allen, which a judge is not allowed to do, & treated my companies, which didn’t 'plead,' VICIOUSLY. APPEALING!" Trump said.

Death threats in 3, 2, 1...

Isn't this intimidation?!

Trumpism 101

13. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 13 months ago

Short term pain for long term gain.

Two previous bogus impeachments and now this.

Here is the bottom line in all of this.

New York is trying to transmogrify misdemeanors into felonies by alleging a federal campaign finance violation that he has no jurisdiction to enforce, and that the federal prosecutors and regulators who do have jurisdiction declined to prosecute due to lack of evidence.

Let that sink in for a moment.

This is nothing but political desperation.

In the short term, it may look bad for President Donald Trump.  In the long, he will benefit from this tremendously. 

Already, I am seeing Republicans putting aside differences to join together to support President Donald Trump. Even democrats are coming out against this. Alan Dershowitz is a liberal democrat and voted for biden.

Dershowitz says, “this is targeting and weaponizing not the American way of justice. A very sad day for justice. Look, we haven't seen the indictment. We can't be sure maybe they have a videotape of him shooting somebody on Fifth Avenue. But based on what we know about this case, it may be one of the weakest cases in my six years of experience.”

This will only make President Donald Trump stronger.

First off, nice use of the word transmogrify.  Well played.

If Trump can wiggle out of the 30-counts, you could be right, it might help him in the long run.  If he can't, will you guys still give him the nomination or will you finally move on is the bigger question?

What are the charges?

2. Readmikenow profile image94
        Readmikenowposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Republicans see this for what it is, a pathetic attempt to get a former president for political reasons.

The charges are bogus.  Think about it. A state is trying to charge a federal crime where they have no jurisdiction.  The federal prosecutors didn't pursue it because there is not enough evidence.

It this isn't politically motivated, it will be dismissed with summary judgement.

I think this pretty much guarantees him the nomination.  This is having quite the unifying effect on the Republican party.

Don't know, Mike

It seems to me that Trump is becoming damaged goods. Outside of his die hard supporters who would follow him to the gates of hell, I don't see conventional Republicans or independents volunteering to climb into Trumps dumpster fire. People are tired of his endless refrain about his being "put upon".

Haley and DeSantis are stepping lightly not be seen as gloating over Trumps misfortune, in addition to needing the votes of his supporters in case Trump becomes indisposed.

Who could openly vote for someone involved in so many criminal accusations to become the Chief Law Enforcement officer as President?

This is helter-skelter for the GOP, they being in disarray as a result can do nothing but help the Democrats.

But, again, we will see.

Ken Burgessposted 13 months agoin reply to this

That is the ultimate goal, to neutralize Trump's ability to be a valid candidate.

Of course the other benefit would be to keep him in the limelight as a spooky boogeyman political figure, so that Biden doesn't lose too much support of those that actually do support him... as the idea of Trump returning probably makes Biden look great to them.

Trump certainly is not the leader we need now.  He has no chance of uniting this country, too much effort has been put into character assassinating him, a third of the country truly believes this guy is Hitler, a Putin puppet, and the Grand Poo Bah of the KKK all rolled into one.

We cannot survive another 4 years of Biden as a nation, well, America will still be here, but we will be fast tracking to 3rd world status in ways few people can imagine.  Or a WW that will make WWI and WWII look like kids fighting in a schoolyard by comparison.  Probably the latter.

Bad times ahead, maybe DeSantis has the stomach and backbone to steer America clear of disaster it is heading into.  I don't think so, the country is too divided, the extremes of both sides uncompromising, so while we can have a DeSantis in Florida or a Whitmer in Michigan, the idea of someone being able to unite the sides that comes from an extreme themselves and moving the whole country forward seems pretty unlikely.

"a third of the country truly believes this guy is Hitler, a Putin puppet, and the Grand Poo Bah of the KKK all rolled into one."

Nah,  just a grifter looking for another grift.

Trump's own actions and lack of character have made him into an invalid political option.  It wasn't anything the left needed to do.

And we've seen more than a few on the right here prognosticating the end of the world if their party is not in power.  And yet, the country continues on with some improvements and some areas for need.

Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months agoin reply to this

"That is the ultimate goal, to neutralize Trump's ability to be a valid candidate."

Ever consider it might mean enforcing the rule of law? And the two impeachments weren't bogus. The fix was in with a majority of republicans in the senate. The charges were certainly more serious than two consenting adults having oral sex (circa Clinton). Blackmail and insurrection attempting to overturn an election.

Historically, the U.S. economy does better under Democrat administrations. (Senate.gov, The New Republic, American Economic Association and some more mainstream sources like the NYT but you'd probably dismiss those.) It's not even close.

The mistake Trump made was not being followed in the White House by another republican. Nixon and Reagan and their cronies all got pardoned for their crimes by the presidents who followed them. (Reagan? Crimes? Look up Iran/Contra. More criminal than Watergate.

With Democrats voting a straight party line without exception, on a matter that was most definitely NOT black and white but instead of gray, how can you say it was "fixed" by Republicans and keep a straight face.

The party line vote, all by itself, gives a lie to such a statement, although I will grant you that both sides had that same problem.

And yet, it was not a party line vote as with both impeachments, at least one Republican voted with the Democrats.

Who believes that Republicans don't vote a straight party line at every opportunity?

Cred,

Liberals have a long track record of fabricating charges against President Donald Trump.

Fist there was the bogus collusion claim, which was proven false with the Mueller report.

Then, there were two bogus attempts at impeachment, even one when he was out of office.

Now this.

The liberals don't appear to want justice, they want vengeance. They've never come up with anything of substance against President Donald Trump and this situation in New York is a rather pathetic attempt.

So, Republicans view liberals as mentally unhealthy and obsessed with getting one man whether legal or not. That is why his support continues to be high among Republicans.

President Trump often says, "They're not after me, they're after you and I'm standing in the way."

It seems so true.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

We got our vengeance. We voted him out. Now it's just between him and the law.

I jiggled. And suppose the law was made an ass by his lawyers, and the court acquit him? Hei eh he! Ha ah ha!                                 These indictions were strongly denied more than 6 years ago. But now to indicted and convict Trump? Shame to those  Liberals and Democrates.

Coltonlarsen1975posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Trump's lawyers usually end up needing lawyers.

Yea, I know. And that's not bad in itself. Not to talk of that one lawyer now in prison due to his mischief or making.

The report concludes that the investigation "did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities".[4][5][6] Investigators had an incomplete picture of what happened due in part to some communications that were encrypted, deleted, or not saved, as well as testimony that was false, incomplete, or declined.[7][8][9] However, the report states that Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was illegal and occurred "in sweeping and systematic fashion"[10][11][12] but was welcomed by the Trump campaign as it expected to benefit from such efforts.[13][14][15] It also identifies links between Trump campaign officials and individuals with ties to the Russian government,[16] about which several persons connected to the campaign made false statements and obstructed investigations.[4] Mueller later stated that his investigation's conclusion on Russian interference "deserves the attention of every American".[17] - Wikipedia quoting from the Muller Report

"The report concludes that the investigation "did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities"

No Conspiracy, No Exoneration: The Conclusions from the Mueller Report

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des … ler-report

14. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61

Just wondering who will serve on this jury? We've all seen and heard the manner in which Trump has  already lashed  out at Bragg and Merchan. Would you want to sit on a jury and wonder what retribution may come your way if your jury returns  a guilty verdict?  I mean, he smeared Shaye Moss and her Mother in Georgia without a second thought.  It's going to be awfully tough to seat a jury.

Trump can and would b wise to choose a trial by Judge. He stands less of a chance of a jury being biased.

If I were under consideration for his jury I'd be very worried that I would be called out by name and targeted for retaliation if I were on a jury that returned a guilty verdict. Trump has proven himself very vindictive and his followers heed his call.  Have you seen the testimony of shaye moss and her mother and what happened to them when trump unfairly targeted them?  I would  pass on that. These jurors will  face death threats

In my view, he will choose a trial by a judge with the change of venue. He has a choice in the matter of having a jury or just a judge. He would be nuts, IMO. to go the route of having a jury in New York. It would be a slam dunk quilty. A judge is more apt to follow the letter of the law and stick to precedence.  With their decision, and punishment.

wildernessposted 13 months agoin reply to this

I wish I had your confidence that judges are non-political, rendering judgments based on law and not politics.  Given the record of the 9th circuit court I don't have much faith in that.

Doesn't Trump always get the benefit of his own appointed Judge's?  9th circuit has an awful  lot of Trump appointed judges .  He is always treated with kid gloves in terms of judges.  It's disappointing to see that people think judges are THAT biased.

I'm sorry, but the 9th circuit has been noted for decades as a liberal vote for whatever is the latest thing.

However, do you think it would be easy to find a non-biased jury picked from New Yorkers?

I think Trump will ask for a change of venue, and fight long and hard to try to get it.

15. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 13 months ago

I am not a Trump supporter, but I support our constitution. It's sad for America that this New York prosecutor can go this far. It's an injustice because Trump haters already say he's guilty when it's innocent until proven guilty. The scary fact is that it can happen to anyone in America now.

1. peterstreep profile image80

Fact is that he cheated on his wife.

Yes, that is a fact.
        That is not a fact to prosecute someone.

It's about business fraud. That payments to Daniels were improperly accounted for.  It's about falsifying business records.  He's not being indicted for having an affair.
          Regardless, in true Trump form he's fundraising off of this. Just wait until the mugshot tshirts hit the market. The man is a grifter to the core and this is giving him some nice opportunities.

Yup. Those poor morons. SMH

Former President Trump’s fundraising efforts in the wake of his indictment on Thursday appear to have paid off, with his campaign raking in more than $4 million within 24 hours.

Add to that all he collected since the "leak".

IslandBitesposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Former President Trump’s campaign is fundraising off of a fake mugshot in an email blast to supporters on Tuesday shortly after he arrived at the Manhattan court for his arraignment.

“[W]hat better way to PROVE that our campaign will NEVER SURRENDER our country to the Left’s tyranny than countless grassroots patriots proudly wearing their very own ‘NOT GUILTY’ T-Shirts,” the campaign said in an email to supporters, which features a T-shirt with a fake mug shot of Trump.

SMH lol

Grifters gonna Grift!

Looks like the indictment includes 34 FELONY counts

So, it would appear you know the charges --- please share.

It's a deduction on my part. Reasoning that you can't be indicted for an affair or even paying to bury it but you must not be fraudulent about it.  Same as the Edwards case. The crime is not the affair.  Same as Clinton's case.  Also, remember, Cohen has done time for the crime.

Great point

2. peterstreep profile image80

No it is not. But it shows he doesn't give a shit about family values.
          It shows a weak character.

Totally agree with that.

2. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61

You don't think he's acting on the evidence and that the grand jury voted to indict? After all, that is the system.

3. Ken Burgess profile image76

Can you imagine the outrage on the Left if Biden was tried and found guilty of something by a Florida prosecutor?

Just sayin'

If there was this much evidence that Biden committed a crime in Florida, one to win him an election nonetheless, the left would not really be that upset.  Florida would get the justice they deserved.  Let alone a ton of evidence that he broke election laws in another state and in Washington, DC.  There's the difference between the two parties.

There are many of us still in this country that believes in innocence until proven guilty. I do realize some prefer to charge a person as guilty, and then look for evidence. This makes no sense to me.

16. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months ago

What really upsets me is that this man was our president even after losing the popular vote. The majority of Americans saw him for what he was - and it didn't save us from him. The National Popular Vote! Make sure your state legislature is prepared to sign on when they are in session next year. The majority of Americans are reasonable people capable of making good choices. Let's ensure the will of the majority is never ignored again.

17. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 13 months ago

This is the mood of many Republicans right now. This is how it is seen.

https://hubstatic.com/16442166_f1024.jpg

And a man who cheated on his wife and f#cked a porn star.

Those are what is known in the realm of reality as accusations.

It's pretty obvious that he has.

Define "obvious" in this situation.

As obvious as Bill Clinton had sex with Monica Lewinsky.

You are avoiding answering the question.

"And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."

This is simply words and not proof of anything other than words were spoken. These words were spoken many years before the porn star came into his life.

Or JFK and his womanizing. Or the many presidents that have been suspected of having affairs.

Did Trump have sex with pros in any respect reflect in the job he did as president?   One must take time and look at how we were doing as a country. Yes, and even compare to what we are experiencing now under Biden. Biden has a long history of abusing women.  Although some won't accept many women's accounts of Biden being sexually inappropriate. I tend to believe in victims that have been brave enough to step up and tell their stories. https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/joe-bide … tions.html

And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything.

That's what Trump does.

And afterward, he pays hush money.

You're okay with that behavior?

I think your point was made regarding Trump being a womanizer.  I had no rebuttal for that fact. I note you ignored the fact the US present president has the same reputation for womanizing. As have many of our presidents.

I think you did not get my point.  Trump is not the first, and most likely won't be the last. So, IMO, it seems rather arbitrary to even bring the subject up. Of course, unless you are making the point that many US presidents seem to be womanizers.  As well as many that sit in our Congress. 

I think if we were to pick out the most egregious act, it would be Tara Reids' accusations that Biden raped her and forcibly put his fingers in her vagina. 

I would think thus far paying a pro for sex might come well at the bottom of the list if we are to beleive Ms. Reid. OF course, the Left media has deemed her account untrue.

No need to offer links regarding the accusation. I am aware many media outlets called her story untrue.

The word womanizer makes it all innocent but it is not.
              It's clear that many men with a position of power misuse this power. I won't call it a womanizer anymore.
              If your husband went to bed with another woman. Would you be okay with that and just say, Ah, he's just a womanizer, the woman can't withstand him, and he can't help it...?
              I think the more power you have, the more careful you have to be with who you go to bed with.
              Teachers and students is a classic example. A student perhaps wants to and will give consent. But this does not make it right.
              I find it very confusing why so many people talk about family values and do not except adultery but have no problem when a President does it.
              That's why I bring it up.
              But maybe I'm old fashioned as for me adultery would mean divorce. And I don't respect men who do. They won't get my vote no matter the party.

And if Tara's accusation is right then Biden should be prosecuted. Simple as that. I don't care about political sides.

I did not share my personal views on men that sexually take advantage of women. I think it is inexcusable.

My point --  I think you did not get my point.  Trump is not the first president accused of sexual misbehavior, and most likely won't be the last. So, IMO, it seems somewhat arbitrary even to bring the subject up. Of course, unless you make are making the point that many US presidents seem to be womanizers.    It would appear in many respects society looks the other way, and they get away with it. This immoral characteristic seems to be overlooked when it comes to casting a vote.

I agree with your sentiment regarding adultery. However, we had two candidates that were laden with scandals that involved adultery, and sexual misconduct.  So, it was necessary to set aside their poor character regarding sexual misconduct and look at their policies.

I think you let them of the hook to easily.
                  Bill Clinton had a hard time as he misused his power. Or do you say. Oh, he was just a womanizer? No that's not an excuse.
                  What Bill Clinton did was wrong and so was what Trump did.
                  Even more disgusting is how Donald Trump talks about women.
                  To accept this as normal behavior of presidents is giving all future presidents the green light to do whatever they like with women and other men in power positions. And even more other men see a president as an example. A president is an influencer. and his behavior will be copied by people who admire him.

And if your choice is between two people you don't like....You don't have to vote, you know. A no-vote is also a voice in this case. (but before it comes to this, you can vote for a different Republican Candidate in the pre-selection)
                  The sad thing I think is that people in the US do not vote because they are in favour of the person they vote for but they vote against the other.

I think if a president cheats on his wife, why wouldn't he cheat the country? (Which Trump tried with the whole voter fraud conspiracy theory. It's the same behaviour in my opinion)

And tried to overturn the results of an election.
        And incited a mob to enact an insurrection - for which people died.
        Nobody cares who he has sex with, but you can't pay for the lady's silence with campaign funds.

This image represents today's Republican party. The  party has been swallowed whole by this man. The party, in my opinion, has become consumed with persecution complexes, victimhood identity and endless, useless grievance for the purpose of division. Question: Why have Republicans embraced the victimhood mythology they once denounced?  Why work from a position of weakness?
      I fear that victimhood is becoming part of our national identity.  Wallowing in this shared victimhood narrative is not a path to anything productive.  Why would anyone want to be led by a victim?

The Grand Old Party lost its way with Newt Gingrich (from my county in Georgia), and has strayed from its true path step by misstep ever since. It will either reinvent itself or become more and more of a minority party than it already has become.

So true, in my view, many Americans have been in that mood for a very long time. This issue has just made clear our long-time sentiments regarding the Democrats being corrupt, and power-hungry at all costs. The root of America's problems lies with this corrupt, inept political party.

18. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61

And the Boogeyman puppetmaster speaks:

"As for Alvin Bragg, as a matter of fact I did not contribute to his campaign and I don't know him," Soros told Semafor. "I think some on the right would rather focus on far-fetched conspiracy theories than on the serious charges against the former president."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush … -da-bragg/

19. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months ago

"This hypocrisy is what I find difficult to grasp."
    .Especially after previously going to the extreme of impeaching a president for adultery.
    The Christian community sold their soul 50 years ago over abortion. Trump is their "reaping what you sow" and they are doubling down on it.
    It is difficult to grasp. It is also difficult to condone.

20. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 13 months ago

I stand corrected:

Trump is not the first person to serve as president to learn that no one in the country is above the law.

In 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant was arrested for speeding on his horse-drawn carriage in Washington, DC.

Grant ultimately paid a $20 bond but didn't show up to court.

Donald Trump carries the unique distinction of being the only president to be impeached twice, and is now the only former president to face criminal charges.
    -----------
    Speeding in a horse drawn carriage? Now that is rich...

Mathew Brady must have caught him on camera?

The double impeachment says far more about partisan politics and the actions of one particular party than it does about Trump. 

At this point the indictment says much the same thing given the years of unrelenting effort and false claims.  A conviction, however, will say something about Trump himself and provide some small amount of relief to the Democrat party that has worked so hard to remove a political rival that the people chose over their own candidate.

If Joe Blow had been indicted for the same accusations would you go to the ends of the earth to defend him?

The conviction will say that Trump routinely has been operating on the cusp of legality and it has caught up with him. Whatever he has managed to get himself into, he has done it to himself.

The point was that there was no need to "go to the ends of the earth to defend him" for the "evidence" was so lacking as to make both impeachments nothing but partisan politics being used to remove a political opponent from the scene.

The current indictment is different to at least some degree, and would be completely different were courts not politically biased and Trump not so hated in the state where he will be tried.  Both of those give rise to bad verdicts.

Trump has lived in New York the better part of his life, this idea of his being hated in New York is conjecture on your part.

Is it possible that Trump can be guilty of crimes without it always being some sort of plot by the Democrats to railroad him.

Why does the entire world pick on poor little Trump? Could there being causative factors outside blaming partisanship?

I think that many Americans are growing tired of the cult of victimhood .  When did accountability turn into persecution?  Enough is enough already.

"Is it possible that Trump can be guilty of crimes without it always being some sort of plot by the Democrats to railroad him."

Absolutely it is possible, and in my mind anyway, probable.

But on the other hand when we look at the past 7 years of persecution by Democrats with zero "guilty" verdicts it looks like a railroad job.  When a President is impeached twice, but with no penalty, it looks like a railroad job.  When a President is impeached right before leaving office, and top Democrats admit it was only to prevent him from running again, it looks like a railroad job.

In my considered opinion, without supporting evidence, it looks like Trump has violated some laws since he was elected.  Democrats, on the other hand, will declare outright guilt with that same lack of evidence.  That looks like a railroad job, too.

Interesting that it takes a guilty verdict in an impeachment to conclude that it's not a railroad job.  When impeachments are political decisions and not actually court cases. 

Because if they were court cases, the attorneys for the defense would not have been colluding on strategy with members of the jury that agree with them politically.  Trying to equate the outcomes of impeachments with actual court cases is a false equivalency.

And when a President organizes and incites a domestic terror attack on the country's own Capitol, the fact that people think he should be able to hold that office again is absolutely bonkers.  But par for the course for a party that now resembles a cult where such violent behavior is tolerated because the greatest sin is to stand against the cult leader, even if their behavior is criminal or morally disqualifying.

In the opinion of others, with so much supporting evidence that the right chooses to ignore because it is damaging to their view of their party leader, it has been easy to believe that Trump has committed multiple crimes, both before being elected, during his presidency, and after being voted out of office.  And what democrats want is for Trump to get his day in court to answer for his conduct and let a jury of his peers decide his guilt or innocence based on the evidence.

"Interesting that it takes a guilty verdict in an impeachment to conclude that it's not a railroad job."

In the case of impeachments, in MY mind, the fact that it was along partisan lines that counted the most.  That and the fact that Democrats made it crystal clear that the second impeachment was to prevent Trump from ever returning.  That takes the entire thing completely away from the "right/wrong" question and puts it squarely on partisan politics.  That Democrats, particularly in the second effort, made such an effort to enlist media and turn it into a vast media show rather than discussion just made the obvious that much more so.

"And when a President organizes and incites a domestic terror attack on the country's own Capitol..."

And such an assumption, completely and 100% unproven, only adds to the feeling.  Democrats never even tried to show that Trump did anything more than encourage a peaceful march (although they claimed it thousands of times)...yet it was wrong somehow to do that, and all his fault when it became a small riot.  If we applied that thinking to the BLM riots there would BE no BLM left, but we don't.  We only blame Trump...because "we" want him gone from politics.

Bottom line for millions of people is just what was mentioned; Democrats are playing a game, and persecuting a political rival, for political purposes, not as a matter of law or even morality.

2. wilderness profile image96

LOL  Of course - the liberals in a very liberal state all love him.  That that is not true is just conjecture, right?

That the far-right creates that false narrative of hate certainly is.  What is amazing is how so many of the far-right posters think they understand the left and what they believe and feel, often tell us their expert opinions, and then could not be more wrong about their views.

We all know what this is.

Well, we who are adults and not brainwashed.

When you campaign on "Drain the Swamp", insult and antagonize everyone in DC who had long been part of "the Swamp"... those 30 and 40 year Representatives and Senators that are forever in DC... and when you additionally hostilely engage the FBI directly being the cause of the Director and other top echelons being removed... call the MSM a bunch of liars... annoy the Military Industrial Complex by refusing to start new wars... well then, in all honesty, so far Trump has gotten off light.

Steve Bannon was quoted, in regards to this, saying:
      "American globalist elites who persecute Trump through tools like [Manhattan District Attorney Alvin] Bragg for leading a populist movement that is focused on stripping them of their unearned wealth, power, and privileges."

Not quite sure I would phrase it that way myself, but there are plenty who feel he is a threat along those lines.

I am pretty sure I predicted all this a couple years back and said that they would have him in jail for one reason or another by 2024.  They will not allow him to return to the White House, I don't care if 90% of America loved the guy, which isn't the case, but it wouldn't matter.  Trump is done.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months agoin reply to this

If Trump is done, do you have any hope for the country ... going forward?
        Or will all the "Deep State" shenanigans die down and we can get back to some sort of normalcy ...
        or are we done too? neutral

I think the brainwashing was when Trump built a base with his MAGA agenda. The brainwashing? Convincing people that
        a man who had never been anything but a con artist and grifter belonged in the white house. Donald Trump is nothing more than a small minded swindler who planned and executed the greatest grift in the history of the world.

Yes, it is much better to have professional politicians with track records, men we can look to like George. W. Bush and Richard Nixon.

I don't know, when I look for someone to do a job I look for some sort of track record.  I want some sort of assurance that you have the skills and experience to do the job.   In Trump's case I sure didn't see any of that.  I don't think we need professional politicians but ALL of them aren't terrible just because they have a long history in the job.  I simply believe in someone having the skill set to do the job.
            As far as trump goes, he sold  people on the folly that he was a successful businessman.  Much like everything involving Trump, this was pure fiction, a con.

Liberals always make me laugh.

Joe Biden is a horrible person. In the 90s, I worked with a Senator for a brief time. Joe Biden was considered horrible then.

He sniffs little girls. There is video of him sniffing little girls. He admits to sniffing little girls. The left says nothing.

He regularly tells the most obvious lies. Lies that are easily disproven. Yet, he keeps telling them and the left says nothing.

His presidency up to this point is a huge failure. Nothing from the left.

This is just proof of the left's hypocrisy and double-standards.

It's laughable.

RMN: Unless you can prove your accusations, they are nothing more than your opinion. It's laughable as you say.

There certainly is proof of his sniffing hair,  and many women coming forward and reporting his sexual inappropriateness. As well as the many ridiculous lies that he repeats over and over. He has lied throughout his years in the public eye.

His job performance is view oriented, and actually, his job performance shows low in polls. 

Mistruths --- https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house … this-week/
              https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/l … =joe-biden
              https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/20/poli … index.html
              https://www.dailynews.com/2023/02/01/pr … m-of-lies/
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … -100-days/
              Need more ?

Accounts from women that claimed Joe Biden was sexually inappropriate
              https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/joe-bide … tions.html

Job approval --   https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/bi … al-rating/
              https://news.gallup.com/poll/329384/pre … biden.aspx
              https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/US-presiden … val-rating
              https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story … 982706007/

Hopefully, you are open to reading the links to seek facts.

IF you think anything up there is not proven YOU are laughable.

Do a google search on "Creepy Joe" if you want to see videos of him sniffing young girls. 

Here is a CNN article about his blatant lies.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/politics … index.html

Here is another one about his failures.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … istration/

A current poll --
              Biden’s approval slips to 38%, near the lowest of his presidency, new poll says --   https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/23/joe-bid … -says.html

In case you missed my response --
              https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/358 … ost4288608

peoplepower73posted 12 months agoin reply to this

RMN and Sharlee:  Your posts are forcing me to compare Trump's behavior to Biden's. Trump has lied and/or misinformed over 13,000 documented times in his four years in office.  While he owned the Miss Universe Pageant, this is the creepy stuff he pulled off.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p … se-191860/

So, you're not denying anything said about biden. You are just trying to justify it.

RMN: Nope, I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy of Trump vs. Biden.  I will take Biden's lies any day over Trump's 13,000 lies/misinformation, especially Jan.6. 

I will take Biden's sniffing women's hair over Trump's creepy behavior while owning the Miss America pageant and his pu**y grabbing, and the payoff to the hush money women while still being married. 

You see, it is all about the level and proportion of actions. Just what you said about me justifying Biden, you are doing the same thing with Trump.  You are justifying Trump's actions by the "what about Biden" ploy, that conservatives always use when Trump is being attacked.

The ever beloved by the GOP Reagan experienced his lowest rating of 35% in early 1983. He managed to survive.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
            gmwilliamsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

+1000000000000.

Nixon found out he was not above the law - and resigned to avoid conviction by the senate.

But he was lucky. His own vice president was onhand to pardon him. By accepting a pardon you admit guilt.

These are trying times, the Republican Party does not now have the integrity that it did almost 50 years ago. Nixon then, and Trump today is a gap as wide as the Grand Canyon.

21. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 13 months ago

You mean if you tell the truth, you're done?!

22. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 13 months ago

.....and yet he was the only one who managed to accomplish anything positive for the people, in a very long time.

ab;  If you are a Fox News listener then you are right.  If you are a MSM listener, then you are wrong about Trump.

What people are forgetting is when Trump was elected president, he didn't win the popular vote.  He won the electoral college vote where small geographic areas have the advantage over large urban areas.

Trump did not win over Biden.  That is a lie that he and the people who advised him made up and that he is still propagating. Those investigation are ongoing, even while Trump is campaigning to be president again.
      If he loses again, he will just do a Jan. 6 again.  He is a sick man, who in his mind will not allow himself to lose.

He may do another Jan. 6 on Tuesday when they read the 34+ charges to him.  I have my doubts that he will even show up. He is like Wiley Coyote, if you know what I mean !!!. Miss Georgia (MTG) will be there and so will Miss Colorado (Boebert) will be there as his cheerleaders. MTG thinks she is going to be Trump's VP.   Boebert want's the AR-15 to be the National Weapon...God bless both of them.

In my view, you missed ab's point altogether.

".....and yet he was the only one who managed to accomplish anything positive for the people, in a very long time."

You went off in so many different directions.

Accomplishments? He cut taxes for the rich. What else? I'm sorry, but I'm not rich, so where's a benefit?

To avoid a confrontation, and save my energy, as one often finds the need to do on chats, I will say only this --- If you have the view he did a poor job, he did a poor job in your view. We all have them, I will play safe and agree to disagree.

2. peoplepower73 profile image90

Sharlee:  You think I went in so many directions in reply to ab's post.

I don't think I went off on a tangent at all. Every thing I said about Trump is true, including Fox News and MSM. Isn't this forum about Trump being indicted?

As far as Miss Georgia and Miss Colorado, that is my attempt at political satire. I apologize for that.  I should have known better. I have observed conservative are not very good at grasping the nuances of political satire, especially from a liberal viewpoint.

peoplepower73: Discussions should go where they will - not where any participant dictates.

No apology required.

Actually sometimes chasing a rabbit down a hole makes the discussion more interesting by being less predicable.

3. abwilliams profile image69
          abwilliamsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

So what else is new Sharlee, they are much too busy gathering stones.

ab:: Biden accomplished nothing, Trump is the only one who accomplished anything positive in a long time when you listen to Fox and MAGA  news.

Biden has accomplished more positive things than Trump when one listens to MSM.  It's that simple.  Both sides are busy gathering stones, But I think the GOP is better at gathering stones and throwing them at the Dems. Conservatives fall in line.  Liberals fall in love because they are made up of  a more diverse group of people.

1. abwilliams profile image69

"Conservatives fall in line, Liberals fall in love".
              I never figured you as poetic, PP.

I good President protects and defends the U.S. Constitution. A good President protects the homeland, by securing the borders and such, all while being a good neighbor to bordering countries.....within limits!
              A good President steps out of the way, so that the citizens are free to make a living for their families in their chosen field. Some have chosen the oil industry, some the coal industry. A good President recognizes that those are honorable professions and that most Americans choose to work, not ask for handouts.
              A good President recognizes that these same, salt of the earth, good people, have every right to bear arms, in order to protect their families from ALL enemies.

Oops, typo. A good President.......

abwilliams: While you are protecting your family with your guns, please start setting a perimeter around our schools because our kids are being slaughtered.

Kathleen, I wish I could!
                  I wish I could protect every innocent child from the womb on through their college years.

I wish there wasn't evil upon this earth, but there is.

My prayer is that we will turn back to God, soon, because this crazy stuff many in the U.S. are embracing these days, is pretty sick and not of God.

I agree 100%.  As I have said, and I am sure many are bored with, I feel he was one of the best presidents we have had in decades, regarding his job performance. I felt secure, I felt the country was secure, and going in the right direction.

23. Miebakagh57 profile image70
    Miebakagh57posted 13 months ago

The whole thing or story per the links especially foxnews smacks of hypocrisy.                                 These lady pornstars for years has been denying the sex act, and the money involved. But sunddenly and evidently now?                                          Okay now. What does their earn in a day, a week, or a month as trading their body? If one get the right comparison, then the $150,000 is money to smear Trump's 2024 presidential bid in bad light.                                            If Trump is indict, he's indicted. QED. Again for years the pornstars, Tprump, his former lawyer, all deny the story. How can any sensible Judge or Magistrate convince Trump, if he's charge with adultery? Or what? Ha ah ha! Hei hi eh!

24. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 12 months ago

As expected, the domestic terrorists that Trump has been pandering to in his social media posts have been activated...

“The first time it was like gold digger, slut, whore. You know, liar, whatever and this time it's like, ‘I'm gonna murder you,’'' Daniels said of the threatening messages she has been getting.

But yeah, tell us again how we should regret saying the MAGA Republicans are the most dangerous threat to America today.

25. Valeant profile image86

The Meidas Touch guys do a nice job of explaining the potential 34-count indictment that should be released tomorrow that goes over why KellyAnne Conway and David Pecker were brought in as witnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jkeeguzd28&t=317s

26. Valeant profile image86

The Meidas Touch guys do a nice job of explaining the potential 34-count indictment that should be released tomorrow that goes over why KellyAnne Conway and David Pecker were brought in as witnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jkeeguzd28&t

Line of the video has to be, “He stiffed Pecker.”

27. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months ago

No need to reply. So many here have made my point better than I could.

28. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 12 months ago

Did you think he would go home and cry?
    Of course he is going to utilize this to his full advantage. You all, on the left, have pushed for this for seven years now. Get ready for some pushback.

29. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 12 months ago

Trump indictment full text: Read the court document

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald … -rcna78051

30. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 12 months ago

I'm certain that President Trump's presidential campaign is thanking the liberals for this opportunity.

The name President Donald Trump is now dominating the media. Nobody who is opposing him has any chance to even come close to this level of free media exposure.  Everybody now wants to talk with President Donald Trump.  His challengers are being forgotten.

Anyone with even an ounce of knowledge of the law can see these charges are based on a bogus created law.  It has little or no chance of succeeding. Again, they are basing these charges on a federal felony law where New York has no jurisdiction and trying to connect it to a state  law that is a misdemeanor. The federal prosecutors who have jurisdiction didn't bring this case because they felt there wasn't enough evidence.  There is also amble case law against this ever succeeding. That is if truth wins out.  This is, after all, New York. I suppose that means anything could happen. They were ignorant enough to bring such convoluted charges. 

So, liberals, enjoy it while you can. I don't think any of you realize what you've just done. You've galvanized the Republican party and conservatives with a common cause.  There are well-known liberals who also are against this. President Donald Trump will walk away from this almost guaranteed to win the Republican nomination for president.

Since this is nothing but an obvious politically motivated ploy, it can and will be used against democrats in 2024.

I bet there will come a time when democrats regret doing this.

First, I would suggest that liberals would like nothing more than to see Trump as the 2024 nominee.

Second, on the indictment today:

“The People of the State of New York allege that Donald J. Trump repeatedly and fraudulently falsified NEW YORK business records to conceal crimes that hid damaging information from the voting public during the 2016 presidential election,” said District Attorney Bragg.

"Manhattan is home to the country’s most significant business market. We cannot allow New York businesses to manipulate their records to cover up criminal conduct. As the Statement of Facts describes, the trail of money and lies exposes a pattern that, the People allege, violates one of New York’s basic and fundamental business laws."

I think it's obvious why Barr didn't  bring the charges. 

I would direct you to Bragg's explanation of the charges.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-arra … atch-live/

https://www.manhattanda.org/district-at … y%20Bragg.

I'm of the same opinion.  Bragg gave a gift to the Democratic Party by elevating the least electable candidate among the GOP field.  The problem being that Trump should become even less electable when Georgia and DC also indict him and he's forced to bow out.

"least electable candidate among the GOP field"

Who do the democrats have? biden?

We have the guy who beat Trump by seven million votes, before Trump organized and incited a domestic terror attack on the Capitol, and who will be under multiple indictments during the general election.  Good luck winning independents with that resume.

"I think it's obvious why Barr didn't  bring the charges."

Neither did Merrick Garland, and I would think that is due to not really seeing a prosecutable crime.

I still have not gotten an answer to what I waited for. what are the charges? After listening to interviews with attorneys on various networks, I can see they are asking the same question, and very disappointed, and feel the case seems to have no legal merit. 

Perhaps we will learn more soon, I am sure Trump's attorneys will request formal charges, and evidence that Braggs spoke of, but did not share. I think he said Trump cover a crime with another crime... None of what he said made any sense to me.

The charges are 34 felony counts of falsifying business records and the statement of fact that was released had much of the supporting material to see the path to conviction for the prosecution.

And Bragg laid out the case in his press conference:
          “From August 2015 to December 2017, the Defendant orchestrated a scheme with others to influence the 2016 presidential election by identifying and purchasing negative information about him to suppress its publication and benefit the Defendant’s electoral prospects,” the prosecutors said. “In order to execute the unlawful scheme, the participants violated election laws and made and caused false entries in the business records of various entities in New York. The participants also took steps that mischaracterized, for tax purposes, the true nature of the payments made in furtherance of the scheme.”

Considering that is all the undisputed truth, Trump's team will have its hands full.

Much of the right has been trying to make the case that this is just like the John Edwards case.  It's just too bad they have the following evidence:
          The Defendant directed Lawyer A to delay making a payment to Woman 2 as long as possible. He instructed Lawyer A that if they could delay the payment until after the election, they could avoid paying altogether, because at that point it would not matter if the story became public.

You can download a pdf of the indictment and the SOF here:
          https://thehill.com/homenews/3933605-re … -of-facts/

The charges were very clearly laid out.
          Trump is charged with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records under Article 175 of the New York Penal Law.

Falsifying business records is a felony in New York when there is an “intent to defraud” that includes an intent to “commit another crime or to aid or conceal” a crime. In this case, prosecutors will have to prove that Trump is guilty of maintaining false business records with the intent to hide a $130,000 payment in the days before the 2016 election  Stormy Daniels to cover up an alleged 2006 affair. Each count represents a separate instance of alleged misconduct, but not a different type of crime.

At his news conference Tuesday, Bragg alleged that Trump "repeatedly made false statements on New York business records" and "caused others to make false statements."

"Why did Donald Trump repeatedly make these false statements?" Bragg said. "The evidence will show he did so to cover up crimes relating to the 2016 election."

Fox really isn't  covering the details.

I read the indictment in full
            https://www.npr.org/2023/04/04/11677081 … 0election.

I am sticking with the views of the many attorneys that have offered their views on the merits of the case.
            https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-felo … s-records/
            Alan Dershowitz on Trump arraignment. I respect his view.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfwtRFjxZ4

Plus -- at this point, it appears by Braggs not sharing the crime that covered a crime...  Trump committed he has obstructed Trump's 6th Amendment.
            "Bragg violated Trump's 6th Amendment rights in refusing to disclose underlying crime: legal expert
            The Sixth Amendment guarantees defendants will be 'informed of the nature and cause of the accusation'
            "Former President Trump's Sixth Amendment rights may have been violated when New York County District Attorney Alvin Bragg refused to disclose the underlying crime the defendant intended to conceal through his alleged falsification of business records, legal experts opined Wednesday.

The Sixth Amendment provides in part for the right of a criminal defendant to "be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor…"

When questioned by a reporter as to what the underlying crime the indictment fails to name is, Bragg replied in New York State, he does not have to."
            https://www.foxnews.com/media/bragg-vio … gal-expert

With the trial tentatively scheduled for January, is it possible that the intent is simply to keep him out of the election?  It wouldn't be difficult to put it off for another year...

On the other hand, I know of nothing that would keep him from being elected from a jail cell, whereupon he could just pardon himself.

Or the DA is progressing on the "new way" to prove the crime . . 1. accuse 2, indict. 3. look for the evidence, 4. and hope you can stir up enough hate to convict on hate alone.

In my view, we could see Trump literally at this point win an election
                from jail.  Times are changing, and many are demanding respect for our Constitution, and are angry watching it be destroyed.

"Or the DA is progressing on the "new way" to prove the crime . . 1. accuse 2, indict. 3. look for the evidence, 4. and hope you can stir up enough hate to convict on hate alone."

The grand jury voted to indict based on the evidence presented to them.  Bragg followed the process. That evidence will be displayed for the rest of us when his trial begins.

Much of the evidence was presented in the Statement of Facts that accompanied the indictment.  Just the latest omission of the right to show how they continue to live in their own realities.

No, it is totally up to the Braggs if he felt he could prosecute the case. As did his predecessor.  The more I have looked around, the more this looks like a very political ploy.  It is now being reported that Trump's 6th Amendment was clearly violated.  As I said Garland would not touch it, and neither would Barr...   

Braggs is obligated to pursue cases he feels he can win, with clear evidence, under the law. Period.  He has already violated Trump's 6th Amendment. The more I read, the more I am convened the case is headed to be thrown out, quickly.

State crimes.  He cannot pardon himself.

2. abwilliams profile image69

I agree 100% Mike.
      Bragg couldn't end that press conference and get out of there quickly enough!!
      What a joke!

Seems to me  he presented a thorough yet concise accounting of the charges.  I don't think there was much more he could say as it is an active case.

He made little to no sense. After listening to many of the Attorney's interviews, I can see this Braggs has bit off more than he can chew.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

They really could care less.   The Biden family have committed more crimes than Trump; however this is ignored.  Also Bragg is releasing violent criminals who should be imprisoned.  Down is up & up is down.

Really?  Please state the crimes the Biden family have committed.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

C'mon, everyone knows what crimes the Biden family has committed.  Let us not go there.

Why not?  You guys on the right keep saying it, but cannot cite a single law to back that ridiculous claim.

Biden & his family has committed so many crimes but of course, they won't be touched because he is protected, favored by the powers that be.

Which crimes?  I ask again and you cannot provide a simple answer.

Glad you asked the question.

"Evidence obtained by Committee Republicans reveals Joe Biden lied to the American people about his involvement in his family’s business schemes. The Biden family business model is built on Joe Biden’s political career and connections with Joe Biden as the ‘chairman of the board.’ Biden family members sold access for profit around the world to the detriment of American interests. If President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries and they are impacting his decision making, this is a threat to national security. The American people deserve transparency and accountability about the Biden family’s influence peddling. With the new Republican majority, Oversight Committee Republicans will continue pressing for answers to inform legislative solutions to prevent this abuse of power."

The Congressional oversight committee is looking into six different situations of the biden family's criminal activities.

https://oversight.house.gov/landing/bid … stigation/

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Which federal law is that one?  And bringing that quote out for Trump supporters is like pots calling kettles black.

And what law does a family member peddling influence fall under.  I ask again without an answer.

And it's funny that your repost makes the claim that Biden is involved in his family's business dealings, which we've talked about in these forums as making assumptions pertaining to golf and lunch dates with this son and son's acquaintances.  Then your repost says 'if President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries...'  The if is another reach.

But again, what is the crime?

Good question.

It is a violation of 18 U.S. Code § 201 - Bribery of public officials and witnesses

Whoever—
                (1)directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers or promises anything of value to any public official or person who has been selected to be a public official, or offers or promises any public official or any person who has been selected to be a public official to give anything of value to any other person or entity, with intent—
                (A)to influence any official act; or
                (B)to influence such public official or person who has been selected to be a public official to commit or aid in committing, or collude in, or allow, any fraud, or make opportunity for the commission of any fraud, on the United States; or
                (C)to induce such public official or such person who has been selected to be a public official to do or omit to do any act in violation of the lawful duty of such official or person;
                (2)being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:
                (A)being influenced in the performance of any official act;
                (B)being influenced to commit or aid in committing, or to collude in, or allow, any fraud, or make opportunity for the commission of any fraud, on the United States; or
                (C)being induced to do or omit to do any act in violation of the official duty of such official or person;
                (3)directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers, or promises anything of value to any person, or offers or promises such person to give anything of value to any other person or entity, with intent to influence the testimony under oath or affirmation of such first-mentioned person as a witness upon a trial, hearing, or other proceeding, before any court, any committee of either House or both Houses of Congress, or any agency, commission, or officer authorized by the laws of the United States to hear evidence or take testimony, or with intent to influence such person to absent himself therefrom;
                (4)directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity in return for being influenced in testimony under oath or affirmation as a witness upon any such trial, hearing, or other proceeding, or in return for absenting himself therefrom;
                shall be fined under this title or not more than three times the monetary equivalent of the thing of value, whichever is greater, or imprisoned for not more than fifteen years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

(c)Whoever—
                (1)otherwise than as provided by law for the proper discharge of official duty—
                (A)directly or indirectly gives, offers, or promises anything of value to any public official, former public official, or person selected to be a public official, for or because of any official act performed or to be performed by such public official, former public official, or person selected to be a public official; or
                (B)being a public official, former public official, or person selected to be a public official, otherwise than as provided by law for the proper discharge of official duty, directly or indirectly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally for or because of any official act performed or to be performed by such official or person;
                (2)directly or indirectly, gives, offers, or promises anything of value to any person, for or because of the testimony under oath or affirmation given or to be given by such person as a witness upon a trial, hearing, or other proceeding, before any court, any committee of either House or both Houses of Congress, or any agency, commission, or officer authorized by the laws of the United States to hear evidence or take testimony, or for or because of such person’s absence therefrom;
                (3)directly or indirectly, demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally for or because of the testimony under oath or affirmation given or to be given by such person as a witness upon any such trial, hearing, or other proceeding, or for or because of such person’s absence therefrom;
                shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than two years, or both.

(d)Paragraphs (3) and (4) of subsection (b) and paragraphs (2) and (3) of subsection (c) shall not be construed to prohibit the payment or receipt of witness fees provided by law, or the payment, by the party upon whose behalf a witness is called and receipt by a witness, of the reasonable cost of travel and subsistence incurred and the reasonable value of time lost in attendance at any such trial, hearing, or proceeding, or in the case of expert witnesses, a reasonable fee for time spent in the preparation of such opinion, and in appearing and testifying.

The offenses and penalties prescribed in this section are separate from and in addition to those prescribed in sections 1503, 1504, and 1505 of this title.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/201

3. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61

Didn't we already go through this in 2020?

"An election-year investigation by Senate Republicans into corruption allegations against Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son, Hunter, involving Ukraine found no evidence of improper influence or wrongdoing by the former vice president, closing out an inquiry its leaders had hoped would tarnish the Democratic presidential nominee."

"The 87-page report summing up the findings, released by the Senate Homeland Security and Finance Committees, contained no evidence that the elder Mr. Biden improperly manipulated American policy toward Ukraine or committed any other misdeed. In fact, investigators heard witness testimony that rebutted those charges."

Also, Hunter Biden has been under a separate federal investigation for roughly five years now...where's the beef already?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/us/p … hnson.html

Actually, no we didn't.

"American policy toward Ukraine"

Their wrong doing far exceeds this one investigation.

Biden family members sold access for profit around the world to the detriment of American interests. If President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries and they are impacting his decision making, this is a threat to national security...The Congressional oversight committee is looking into six different situations of the biden family's criminal activities.

100%

31. Valeant profile image86

There's been a point that based on NY trying to use federal election crimes as the charges that bump them up to felonies.  But first there are bookkeeping fraud crimes, and then they were done to cheat the tax code which is also a second crime as Cohen was paid taxes on top of the reimbursement. 

That they were done to influence a federal election is just a third criminal option if they are allowed to prosecute those.

After seeing the indictment, even CNN's legal pundits are shaking their heads over the charges. They don't think the DA can get a felony conviction.

GA

At this point the public has no sense of the additional evidence Bragg’s grand jury has undoubtedly accumulated in the form of written records or perhaps even audiotape evidence to back up the fundamental theory that Trump engaged in this elaborate silencing scheme to help him win the presidency. And we won’t know more for some time.  Not sure what CNN pundits  know?  Speculation at best?

Yes, it is all speculation—relative to being about to prove the charges, but after the release of the indictment, there is no speculation about what the charges are.

As for what the pundits know . . . both sides put their most credible (at least in their minds) 'experts' in primetime slots. They are lawyers, scholars, and in some cases former DAs and such. So the experts are at least legal experts and in several cases, they are legal experts with related experience.

Their speculation concerning the path from state misdemeanor to federal felony does merit consideration. Too many times that 'legal and experience' credibility is wiped out by partisan spin, i.e. Rudy Guiliani and Susan Powel, but when CNN's legal experts can't present justification it doesn't look good.

That's just a layman's perception. I don't know even know enough to speculate, but I bet the media's legal teams (that have been scrambling and digging up sources in order to support the DA) do.

GA

I'd be interested to see the same video you watched.  Here is one from CNN that I found that kind of backs up Bragg:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 … of-vpx.cnn

It was not one video. It was CNN, live from about 3 pm, or so, after the indictment had been released. I wasn't glued to the screen, but each 'panel' discussion they filled the afternoon with was worrying about supporting the misdemeanor to felony connection.

The linked video is red meat for the "optics" problem Ken mentioned. I bet even a Trump-leaning conservative will probably find the explanations of "complicated combination of laws," "Bragg got creative with charges and won," and 'that it's a novel idea doesn't mean it won't work' as political BS.

GA

2. IslandBites profile image89

It's going to be interesting to see what else they have.

Since you mentioned CNN/the charges ...I remembered I was reading this before. We'll see.

A major question was whether Bragg would charge Trump with a felony and how he would go about doing so, since falsifying business records -- the count that Trump is charged with 34 times -- is a misdemeanor unless prosecutors can prove that the records were falsified with the intent to commit or conceal another crime.

The new statement of facts only hints at the approach Bragg is taking, but the prosecutor laid out his legal theory more clearly during a news conference after the arraignment.

Bragg said the business records were falsified in 2017 with the intent of concealing criminal conduct connected to the 2016 campaign. He referenced a New York state law that makes it a crime to conspire to promote a candidacy by unlawful means.

Bragg is not charging Trump with a violation of election law or a conspiracy related to that alleged campaign-related conduct. The indictment says for all 34 counts that Trump had the "intent to defraud and intent to commit another crime and aid and conceal the commission thereof."

The statement of facts cautions in a footnote that it "does not contain all facts relevant to the charged conduct."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/04/politics … index.html

Yep, it's all speculation for now, but it is strongly looking like winning a battle but losing the war for Democrats and the DA.

GA

2. gmwilliams profile image84

+100000000

3. Ken Burgess profile image76

The optics... as it is seen by all other nations, is what really matters.

It diminishes the power and prestige of the Office (President).

It shows that a minor, state-level DA can have a former President brought up on charges, not just a former one, but one that is campaigning to become President again.

Its not a good look the effort to destroy Trump, from Impeachments, to contested elections, to this.

Why does holding a former president to account for his criminality in getting elected have bad optics?  If anything, it says just the opposite.  If you attempt to cheat to get elected, you will be prosecuted.  If you cheat to get re-elected to a second term, you will be impeached.  If you commit fraud to try and stay in power after you got crushed in an election, you will be prosecuted.  If you organize and incite a domestic terror attack on your own country, you will be impeached.  If you steal classified documents and then go on television to note how Nixon did the same thing and then got paid when he did it (giving prosecutors the motive they were missing), you will be prosecuted.

And if you try to take power from Democrats you will be impeached and both persecuted and prosecuted.

What is more important is how WE see it as American citizens. The concept of no one being above the law has to be more than lip service and optical illusion. Trump is just another man, not a celestial figure.

The way you avoid having to air dirty laundry is not to soil it in the first place.

"What is more important is how WE see it as American citizens."

Good point, and a very good explanation of just why the left turned the impeachment process into a dog and pony media blitz of America.

Trump abused his discretion as the cause of the first impeachement. The only reason he got off was the support of Republicans in the Senate who would have acquitted him even if he had murdered the Pope.

You're right, the optics are bad, both globally and nationally. And that has nothing to do with guilt or innocence—right now.

Now that the deed is done, I'm rooting for the DA. If he fails the zealots on both sides will go nuts, dangerously so.

GA

The bad optics, IMO, are that Trump was ever elected to the office of the president.

That's one view. It might even be the view of half of America, but what about the 'view' of the other half? I think that the view of this DA's action is that of a lot less than half of Americans.

GA

Pay up.  The CNN poll that everyone points to notes that 60% of Americans support the indictment, including 62% of independents.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/03/politics … index.html

I also remember CNN telling us that Hillary was going to win in a landslide. You can trust those numbers if you want.

I trust random polling more than anyone who believes a word coming out of Trump's mouth.  That's for sure.

What proof that you have, Doc, that "your numbers" are better?

A CNN poll is worthless biased garbage, which 90% of America knows.

Garbage, but those who support the indictment will be sure to tell us about it.
                    "Dewey Wins!"

To those with far-right views, they would say such stuff about polls that don't agree with their jaded world views.

I've been wrong before. It happened once back in 78'

GA

I remember that one, you put money on the Oil tanker Amoco Cadiz captain keeping the ship in the water.

You are quite modest, so you haven't been wrong since 1978. That is quite a track record.....

Not me, the DA is... well, an errand boy (a tool) for forces that wish Americans no good will IMO.

A minor position holder, in the grand scheme of things, should not be able to hold the highest office in the world (supposedly) to task for some infraction of the law that can't even be agreed upon to be a felony.

This is very biased law at practice, this is a Salem Witch Hunt, they have already decided (as if the impeachments did not show this) his guilt, it is a show trial to get enough Americans to agree with the declaration that Trump is indeed a Witch.

I'm surprised you don't recognize not only this, but just where it will leave our "Democracy" our political system and how it will make our legal system just a political tool to keep those who are not 'chosen' from ever attaining a position of power within the government again.

Of course, this administration has gone a long way to cooking the goose, but the work could still be undone by the next President.  If Biden's
            Equity https://www.whitehouse.gov/equity/  and Environmental Justice https://www.whitehouse.gov/environmentaljustice/ along with the Administration's plans for the CBDC takes hold, well, lets just say, if you want freedom, liberty, and control of your own assets, you will have to find some other nation to live in.

Until the trial starts everyone's opinion is speculation. I'm not speculating on the details of the indictment or which interpretation is correct. I'm speculating on the 'here and now' effects of the DA's decision.

The situation already has the look of political persecution to Republicans. In the context of historical efforts, that 'look' is a valid perception. Even if, if, by trial, the indictment is revealed to be completely valid and logical, a large segment of conservatives will drop their harshest claims. True Trump supporters never will.

So without an opinion on the validity of the indictment, I'm rooting for the DA so there will fewer Republicans going nuts if the indictment gets a conviction. If the DA fails, all Republicans are gonna go nuts. The base will be further validated (in their minds) and the 'leaners' might go solid Trump.

GA

I think we all know if they wanted to pursue such charges they could easily make them stick to any President of the last 30 years.

Biden, Trump, Obama, the Bush family and especially the Clintons that started out their trek towards the Presidency getting illegal funds from a billionaire Chinese investor, if my memory serves correctly.

From the Clintons that went from broke to being worth hundreds of millions, same for the Obamas, Bush Sr. ex-CIA Director, his family has deep ties to less than morally upstanding sources of money.

Trump is guilty of doing the same thing the rest of them do, probably not as well as half of them... the crime(s) he is REALLY being persecuted for is exposing their corruption, their collusion, insulting them, causing havoc, costing Clinton her chance at the Presidency, costing folks like James Comey and John Brennan their jobs.

Michael Moore said it best... for all the Americans that had lost their jobs, their 401ks, pension plans, their homes, their hope: "Trump's election was the biggest 'f--- you' ever recorded in human history."

“The people that came out for Trump,” said Moore, “I'm not talking about the racist white supremacist part but people tired of the system and Trump told them it was rigged.”

Surprisingly, Moore agreed with Trump’s stake, saying, “It was rigged and he was right when he said that.”

Trump became the embodiment of the discontent, he became the champion of those who distrust their government, who wanted to force change, who wanted to see those career long politicians that run DC for 30, 40, and in Biden's case 50 years.  They wanted them out.

Obama was the embodiment of the positive "Hope and Change". 

But nothing really changed with Obama, people's lives (economics = better lives) did not improve, Obama care made life worse for millions more than it helped, etc.

America then turned to Trump, who promised to 'Drain the Swamp".  Who sneered at the people in DC that so many Americans feel are at the core of the Country's problems.

The destruction of Trump will never be complete, it will never be enough, there will always be more charges and more crimes, for years to come.

Because of what Trump embodies and represents, they will make him a highly visible example to all... while continuing to extol how anyone that doesn't support the government is a traitor, a domestic terrorist, just like Trump.

You don't have to convince me, and to the points you make, there are a lot of Republicans you won't have to convince either. This indictment was a dumb move by Democrats. After 6 years of validly perceived persecution (e.g. impeachment for "abusing his discretion") they should have seen how this prosecution would be viewed.

It's a simple concept: 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'

It appears that at least two of the remaining investigations—of much less obviously political appearance, are nearly done. A few weeks' wait for the 'big guns' makes a lot more sense than a jab that just invigorates the opposition.

Unless. . . the Dems real plan is to help Trump win the nomination. If so, then this indictment move borders on brilliant.

GA

"It appears that at least two of the remaining investigations—of much less obviously political appearance, are nearly done. A few weeks' wait for the 'big guns' makes a lot more sense than a jab that just invigorates the opposition."

At that time it will be more than a "jab", he will be disenboweled in comparison. It can't take too much longer, as it has taken too long already.

That's a very dangerous gamble by the Democrats, if it is their plan to ensure Trump win the nomination.

There is a great chance that things will be much worse for most Americans come November 2024.

I'll be honest, I have spent a fair share of time trying to discern what is going on with Ukraine and where things are likely to head.  The fog of war is THICK... amazingly so... in fact, I've never run across anything like it.

If things continue to worsen for Ukraine and if Russia, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, India, Brazil, etc. continue to move away from America, our economy will suffer, the Dollar will suffer, and this could be hitting us hard by November 2024.

In that case... who-ever the alternative is to Biden and the Democrats is going to win.  Only a complete rigged election could keep that from happening... Americans ALWAYS vote their pocketbooks when the economy tanks... Carter is a prime example... and Biden reminds me a lot of Carter, making a disaster of foreign relations and pushing all sorts of progressive agendas that aren't too popular.

Carter was the first President to put Solar Panels on the White House... wasn't a popular thing back then, didn't help him win any votes. 

Much can be said for Biden's progressive pushes, which to many Americans are a lot more disdainful than Solar Panels were back in 1979.

so well said...

3. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image61

If he broke the law and we have evidence of him breaking the law ( the grand jury voted to indict based on that evidence) wouldn't it be political to not charge him?
              Also, was the Edwards prosecution a witch hunt?

Ken,
          I think t is apparent some Americans could care less about anything but getting Trump. They don't have the ability to see the damage that the Democratic party doing to the nation.

32. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

There are many articles out today chronicling past presidents (some hundreds of years ago) paying hush money to silence women they had affairs with.

NOTE: None of them were attempting to affect the outcome of an election they were currently a candidate in or attempting to perpetrate a fraud on voters.

John Edwards.  Presidential candidate.  Hush Money from a donor.

Democratic nominee for vice president in 2004 - Wikipedia

Now go back to your wiki link and go one paragraph down to read about the 2008 presidential campaign.

33. Valeant profile image86

Here is speculation about the multiple routes Bragg has left himself to get to a second crime - both election law and tax law violations - that I mentioned yesterday:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/surprise-acc … 26001.html

34. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 12 months ago

I agree, Ken. It's a mess. It is not suitable for America.

35. Miebakagh57 profile image70
    Miebakagh57posted 12 months ago

The mess Bragg cooked up is only dream not a reality.                                              It puts America in bad light globally. It'll end up shamefully on his face.

Yes, Bragg has let violent criminals go free to attack innocent people.

ab, your're welcome.

36. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 12 months ago

The Great Rush Limbaugh used to have a saying.

"Liberalism Generates the Exact Opposite of it stated Intent"

This indictment of President Donald Trump is not hurting him. It is in fact, helping him.

Before the indictment President Donald Trump was trailing biden, now he is leading biden.  Since biden is the only one democrats have to run for president, this was not a good move on the part of democrats.

"Rasmussen Poll Stunner: Trump Gains 10 Points on Biden Since Indictment

Since his indictment last week, a new Rasmussen poll shows former President Donald Trump has taken a strong lead over Joe Biden in the race for president.

On Feb. 15, the Rasmussen poll had Biden leading Trump by 45% to 42%.

But in a survey conducted April 2 and 3, immediately after the announcement of the former president’s indictment but before his arraignment Tuesday, Trump took a big lead of 47% against Biden’s 40%.

"This is a 10-point net gain for Donald Trump," “Former President Trump has completely turned around the 2024 race for president.”

Other polling released this weekend showed the indictment had given Trump a boost with 51% of GOP voters supporting him over Ron DeSantis at 21% — a lead of 30 points."

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/trump- … d/1115150/

Then there's no reason for all the whining.

37. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 12 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16450102_f1024.jpg

Time to consider this --- Can Trump get a fair trial in New York? Alan Dershowitz, one mans view... do you disagree?

"Famed attorney Alan Dershowitz warned Wednesday that former President Donald Trump has "no chance" of getting acquitted in liberal New York City in Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg's unprecedented legal case.

"There's no way he can get a fair trial," he told Fox News' Sean Hannity. "I don't care if Jesus, Muhammad, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Thurgood Marshall defended Trump in New York, he wouldn't win this case. Hung jury? Maybe. Acquittal? Never."

Dershowitz's comments came on the heels of Trump's Tuesday arraignment where he pled not guilty to 34 counts of falsifying business records linked to 2016 hush-money
    payments.

Earlier in the "Hannity" segment, Dershowitz elaborated on his belief that Trump faces an uphill battle.

"It reminds me of when I was a civil rights person in the South… even if you didn't spit on the sidewalk if the sheriff said you spit on the sidewalk and charged you with it, there's no chance you could get acquitted by an all-White Jim Crow jury."

"Everybody knew that. You were innocent, but everyone knew you were going to be convicted," he continued.

Though Dershowitz said he didn't want to draw comparisons between the Jim Crow South and New York City, he explained that finding 12 jurors with an objective view in the Big Apple is next to impossible."

"[They] don't want to walk around town and have people say ‘That’s the juror who freed Donald Trump and allowed him to be president,'" he added.
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/alan-ders … rs-courage

Thoughts

peterstreepposted 12 months agoin reply to this

A fair trial?
      The US still has Guantanamo Bay where a lot of people are still waiting for their trial... How fair is that?
      When a political figure is adjudged, of course, it will be seen as political. But it is on the judge not to look at the political side.
      Same as a judge should not look at the colour of the skin of somebody, or their religion.
      But does this mean that you should not bring people to justice because you will be afraid that it can be interpreted as political or racist? No, of course not, then it will be impossible to bring anybody to justice.

You can ask if you trust the justice system in the US. But that is a much broader discussion.

Does this mean that just because the US has Guantamo bay they can keep going with fake prosecutions?

peterstreepposted 12 months agoin reply to this

It does mean double standards.

You do realize those held a Guantanamo Bay are prisoners of war. They aren't entitled to the legal protections of a civil trial. Even the Geneva Convention says nothing about providing prisoners of war with any type of trial.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image70

And that equates to deceiving one's self as seen in Bragg.

38. Miebakagh57 profile image70

These presidents are human beings...mere men, though qualified with academic degree(s).                                              They're subjected to all the weakness of the man in the street. Presidents? Yes, presidents that..in a sence are tempt(with evil) beyond their station?

39. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Do you have a source for that statement?

40. Valeant profile image86

It's not that Barr did not see a case, he just believed that the Presidency was not subject to the law.  As to Garland, he had bigger fish to fry with the January 6 prosecutions.  The perception that neither saw a case is just that, a perception.

And what no conservative seems to want to acknowledge is the tax crime side of the charges.  Bragg has set it up so he doesn't need the campaign finance crimes to reach the felony level by including those crimes on top of the falsification of business records.

And  Braggs predisessor? I did not add it due to not wanting to use overkill. I can see your point, and I think you are right. But the fact is Trump's attorneys may bring up the reluctance of the three to prosecute. We can read to suit our own thoughts. But I think that Trump's attorneys will use those facts, and it will be hard to defend, in my view. 

I mean will it not look as if all three were not willing to prosecute a crime? Is this not all threes job? I don't think it would look good to use any excuse at this point, for any of them. I would assume all three could be questioned in court on their particular reasoning.  I don't think it would bode well for Garlend to say I was just too busy or I had bigger fish to fry.

I think if Braggs has come up with current brand new evidence, we will see an altogether different trial. My common sense tells me -- he has new evidence that is damming.

Bragg's predecessor was retiring, so he didn't want to bring it since he knew how long it would take.  And them bringing up other prosecutors choosing to not bring the case is immaterial to the facts of this case.

The SDNY was told to back off by Barr.  Barr didn't think the President could be charged.  And Garland has his hands full elsewhere.  Is any of that really any evidence that proves Trump's innocence?  None of them are fact witnesses to the crimes, so their opinions about whether they would or wouldn't have brought the case really has no bearing on the case Bragg brought.

41. Valeant profile image86

To back up the point I have been making, notice in this segment, the guest notes the multiple crimes of falsification and tax fraud with respect to the charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkI-8EY3Q2o&t

42. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

"I invite you to travel to the UAE or Saudi Arabia, go to Dubai and then tell me you feel safer walking the streets of NY or San Francisco."

You are safer in these middle east countries because you are an American and have a strong government to protect you if you safety is compromised. But for people from the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Indonesia who do most of the labor in those countries, it is not the same and they live with great risks to their safety.

Just an aside. I'm not particularly up to the moment on this string. This comment just caught my attention.

43. Valeant profile image86

It's not that they're not willing to work for it, they just need a chance that they were never historically given as white men tended to hire white men for employment.  As usual, the right omits the past history of discrimination that existed and is the reasoning for some of the equity we see in today's society.  Without those forced policies, there's no doubt that white men would defer to white men.

For pronouncing the Emacipation Proclamation fearlessly, Abraham Licolm, is not white. He's black. I wrote that statement in a history assignment years ago at the university.
      Bragg's black and hate Trump, and want a pound of Trump's flesh!
      When will wonders end?

44. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 12 months ago

Just for a giggle when are we going to focus on left-handed people as a minority? Lefties are 12% of the world's population. They are treated unfairly simply placing the utensils at meals on the wrong side of the plate. The righties fight them with their elbows for more room (Power struggle) sitting next to them for a meal. I am sure others can creatively think of the causes of why they are oppressed.

"What's special about left-handers?
    Left-handed people are said to be good at complex reasoning, resulting in a high number of lefty Noble Prize winners, writers, artists, musicians, architects and mathematicians. According to research published in the American Journal of Psychology, lefties appear to be better at divergent thinking.

9 Weird Advantages of Being Left Handed
    https://www.educationandcareernews.com/ … ft-handed/

Again, just for a giggle . . .

Thanks for the giggle.                                             The research seems to be general. And I had 3 left handed brothers. None of them fit into the data you provided.                                           I'm still giggling.

45. Miebakagh57 profile image70

In the space Challenger propram, there's was this non-man monkey if I'm corracted?                                          My only foolish question is this: what was it's race that qualfy bigotry? Is it the same as all whites, or the only one black face with the screw?

46. Miebakagh57 profile image70

Trump, is in the race to president. He'll fight on in spite of the indictment.                                     The Democrats knows that Trump, is unstopable. They'll do anything unimaginable to throw roadblocks.

47. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 12 months ago

Can you define PC criteria. I googled it and the only thing that I could find had to do with Personal Computers. I'm afraid PC criteria is another term like Woke that the right is using to denigrate the left and BLM.  However, I think many on this forum are arguing over something that doesn't even have a clear definition.

I have not participated in this conversation, but have been following it. I think  PC in this conversation stands for political correctness.

"conformity to prevailing liberal or radical opinion, in particular by carefully avoiding forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."

I feel like you and I have both been sitting by with our popcorn as this thread took a turn away from the original intent.

Hey, I just know I would find myself in hot water on this subject. I am enjoying following the conversation. I think they got it covered from all sides --- Have you and I mellowed? LOL

The term PC Criteria, is vague and had no meaning.                                         Why the woke's in the forum are trying to use it to determined the suitability of man x or lady y for a specific high profile job, or acid v.base test  baffles me.                                    The argument is a distraction.

As a rhetorical question, because I think you do; do you not understand the intended message carried by the "PC" or "woke" labels—as they are typically used?

GA

48. Miebakagh57 profile image70

The term PC criteria is vague to defined. It makes no sensd however. Why the  woke's in the forum are using the term for and against xyz  or abc baffled me.                                  Do they mean the PC criteria can read or determine a person's character and suitability for a job or task better than a group of human beings? What does PC criteria mean?

Were you not the one that complained about conversation that digressed from the topic? What is this question about the definition of PC have to do with the Trump indictment?

It's politically correct but not politically convenient?

Credence, of course I'm  the one that complained that we've digress.                                        Have you now become a moderator? Of course again, PC criteria has nothing to do with the Trump indicted theme.                                But while you argued, debated with Mike, Ken, and others about the PC criteria, I don't say a word. But I do said we get back to the main topic, right? Sorry that you find my post offending.

49. Valeant profile image86

An interesting opinion from a Yale law professor:

Even before the unprecedented indictment of former President Trump, Manhattan Dist. Atty. Alvin Bragg was widely accused of relying on a dubious legal theory. Many observers said the idea that a New York grand jury could charge Trump with covering up a federal crime was untested. They were wrong.

In the days before the indictment, some legal analysts warned that New York lacked jurisdiction to charge Trump with efforts to hide federal crimes such as illegally financing and influencing the presidential election. Bragg was criticized across the political spectrum for trying out a novel legal theory in a historic indictment. Even those hoping to see Trump held accountable were concerned that the questions surrounding the case could exacerbate national polarization.

When the indictment was unsealed, sighs of relief greeted the revelation that Trump could also be charged with concealing state tax crimes, which are well within Bragg’s jurisdiction. But the fact is that Bragg is on solid legal ground in accusing the former president of covering up federal crimes, too. There is nothing remotely novel about charging a defendant in one jurisdiction for trying to commit a crime in another.

Take the 1894 case in which two men, William Hall and John Dockery, fired shots from North Carolina across the border into Tennessee, where the bullets struck and killed someone. They were convicted of murder in North Carolina, but the conviction was overturned on the grounds that the killing took place in Tennessee, where they should have been brought to trial.

But what if Hall and Dockery had missed? In that case, the court made clear, North Carolina would have been within its rights to prosecute them for attempted murder. The attempted crime can take place in a jurisdiction other than the one that would rightly prosecute if the attempt were successful.

Or consider a much more recent case in New York. In 2009, Theophilis Burroughs took a deposit from undercover New York police officers and agreed to meet them in South Carolina, where he would sell them illegal guns. Had the plan been completed, Burroughs would have violated South Carolina’s gun laws, not New York’s. On these grounds, Burroughs claimed that New York had no right to prosecute him for the attempted illegal sale.

But a court rejected his argument. If you try to break South Carolina’s laws in New York, the reasoning went, you are committing a crime in New York: the crime of the attempt.

Trump, likewise, is not charged with successfully influencing a federal election. That would require showing that the election would not have proceeded as it did if he had not paid hush money to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, which would be a very tall order. Trump may well have won in 2016 even if Daniels and McDougal told their stories before the election. If success would have required flipping the election his way, there would be at least reasonable doubt about such a charge.

Trump is really being charged with an attempt to illegally influence the election. To prove Trump is guilty of the crimes he is charged with, Bragg needs to show he was trying to hide something illegal by falsifying business records. And the crime Trump tried to commit that way need not be a crime in New York. That is, it’s as if he fired a shot across the border and, for all anyone can tell, missed.

This isn’t to say we know how the case will turn out. People with the money to hire first-rate defense attorneys are regularly acquitted of quite ordinary charges. And judges are sometimes moved by specious arguments to the effect that ordinary charges are extraordinary.

But there is nothing extraordinary, much less new, about being charged with attempting to commit a crime in the jurisdiction where you made the effort — even if the successful crime would have taken place elsewhere.

- Gideon Yaffe is a criminal law professor and a member of the Justice Collaboratory at Yale Law School. He is the author of “Attempts: In the Philosophy of Action and the Criminal Law.”

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)