jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (46 posts)

how's your marriage devalued by your gay neIghbors getting married?

1. mio cid profile image64
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

How is your marriage devalued by your gay neighbors getting married?

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
      Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Devalued? Where do you get this from? Statistics show that your gay neighbor's marriage is more stable than yours.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image70
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The answer is obvious:  "Not at all."

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The fact that they can't have children devalues my atheist ritual of sacrificing babies and drinking their blood.

1. Shanna11 profile image92
        Shanna11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey! I do that too!

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
          A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? I fancy the taste of Type A positive over O negative, it has that certain 'Je ne sais quoi'.

1. Shanna11 profile image92
            Shanna11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Being A negative, I much prefer the rarer sorts of blood myself. AB- is my favorite if I can get it, but it can be rough getting my hands on an AB- baby. But ah, c'est la vie!

I'm still searching for a baby with the elusive ABO phenotype... I imagine the taste would be far superior to anything I've ever had before.

4. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have neighbors that just happen to be gay and their marriage doesn't effect me or my marriage in the least.

5. ejgilbert profile image78
      ejgilbertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There's no devalue to my marriage. I have a lesbian cousin who has been married to her wife longer than I've been married to my husband, and shes incredibly happy. She was beaten, raped, and more by men, and if a woman treats her right then that's all that matters to me and the rest of the family. Shouldn't matter what the gender is someone's married to, as long as they treat each other right.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

huh?...don't figure my marriage was devalued in anyway...i stood up for my sis as she married her very long term lesbian partner....they've been together more than 3 decades (i think)...it was a great ceremony...they are very happy, etc. etc.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

That's a great way to pose the issue, mio cid.

I do have quite a few gay neighbors. I haven't polled them about their marital status. Maybe I should. My marriage may be jeopardy and I don't even know it!
    lol

4. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I usually don't care what others do, as long as it doesn't harm others. You can't help who you love.

5. Diane Inside profile image82
    Diane Insideposted 5 years ago

The thing that devalues the institute of marriage is how incredibly easy it is to get divorced. 

I think it should be mandatory to go to marriage counseling for a specific amount of time before divorce can be done.

Unless the counselor reveals abuse, or infedelity.

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
      Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The problem is who is going to pay for counceling? If a low income couple can't afford to pay for expensive sessions, will that mean that they are stuck in an abusive marriage? Most states had conditions that had to be met in order to file for divorce but did away with them. Life is short. People don't feel the need to stick with someone who is an abusive drunk, an infedelity king/queen or just fell out of love with your spouse - where the feeling is mutual.The days of promising your marriage vows to God and the fear of committing a sin of you break that vow is coming to an end. I don't mean to bash marriage, but with statistics show that the divorce rate for a man and woman, first time married is slightly over 50%. Second marriage bumped it up to about 75%.

6. Stevennix2001 profile image84
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

Umm...I don't see why it would devalue a marriage, as long as the couple respects your privacy and rights to be who you are, then I see no problems if you do the same for them.  Therefore, I really don't see how this would be an issue if at all.

7. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

Why should any marriage get "devalued" by what somebody else, gay or not, does? Each marriage is unique and personal and the only value it has or doesn't have is what both partners bring to it.  It shouldn't be effected one way or another by what anybody else outside the marriage does or doesn't do.

8. Evan G Rogers profile image79
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

My next door neighbor got married to someone of the same sex as he.

Now I can't stop murdering people. Don't blame me, blame him!

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ha ha, Evan.
      But only relevant if you murder your wife.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image79
        Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, my being arrested, and my constantly being out of the house murdering people has been an influence in my life.

All that blood has to be drunk by SOMEONE!!

That's the spirit!
          And you're not sharing the blood with your family, thus depriving your own wife and dependents of life-sustaining nourishment!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image79
            Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, she HAS been wondering why my bloody mary's have begun to taste different.

... ewww...

9. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Well, I'll be damned.
    Just drove down the street. As you all know, I live in California. California, as you know, is home to Proposition 8, which sought to define marriage as between a (one) man and a (one) woman. That proposition got struck a legal blow yesterday.
    There is much celebrating in the land.

So imagine my shock when I walked through my neighorhood this morning and on several lawns I saw a plackard. The plackards sport a rainbow background and state:

"Give heteros their civil unions. We're happily married."

I simply could not believe gays would/could organize so quickly and so vehemently against us! How ungrateful can they be? Now they want US to have a separate but equal institution? Why, the nerve!!

Well, I must confess, I was highly indignant. Give some people an inch of power and they think they can take over the whole institution of marriage!

[Not based on a true incident. For illustrative purposes only]

10. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

It affects me because I am surrounded by people who will devalue my quality of life by constantly making whispered comments about the people who aren't affecting their lives at all.

We actually had this situation at our summer vacation place.  First one gay couple moved in close by and then shortly thereafter two more.  We liked all of them, but then I got stopped one day by someone from another part of the resort who asked "How can you stand living up there with all those [unpleasant word deleted]?"

I looked at him for a solid five seconds trying to think of what to say.  I think I finally said something like "I like my neighbors a hell of a lot more than I like you", which really did not even begin to express how disgusted I was.   So then I walked home in a sour mood and my wife said "What's eating you?" and I probably said something really cruel about the person I had just talked to. 

So that was yet one more person we had to avoid.  They regularly had deck parties, we stopped going and instead hung out with the awful "gays".    Sheesh..

11. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

My husband keeps telling me about how lesbians down the street can rebuild engines... He figures that since I'm bi I should at least be able to get the gas cap back on correctly.  It causes no end of fighting.

Seriously, MY bisexualness has not even devalued my OWN marriage... I'm not sure how having a gay married couple next door could.

Well, you've hit in an important point here, Melissa.
      That is, setting performance expectations artificially high.

In my neighbhorhood, you can tell at a glance which homes are him/him homes.
      They have meticulously manicured lawns and gardens. There is never a weed out of place. Oh, and the holiday decorations! So clever and imaginative!
      There's a lot of pressure to conform, if you know what I mean.
      My poor husband feels like less of a man every time he hears a leaf blower.
      I try to tell him it's not his fault he was born with a brown thumb.
      But it does take a toll on him. I can see it every time he glances over fence to Clay and Gene's.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jeez, Melissa, can you not even change a tyre? Of course a gay marriage will devalue yours! Not only are gay men "fantastic" when it comes to soft furnishings, but gay women can build a conservatory and strip down an engine at the same time. And I don't stererotype.lol

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
        MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Of course I can change a tire... 

1. Stand beside the car looking confused until some nice guy in a pickup stops.

2. Dial AAA and wait until some nice guy in a pick up truck comes.

12. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Doesn't bother me in the slightest...breaksup the threesome though!smile

13. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

Finally.  The three posts above this one have answered the topic question vividly!
    Heterophobic activism leading to legalization damages both the phobic and the victims of the phobia, undermining the moral fabric of society from neighborhoods to all of society, allowing the "happiness" of a select few people to infringe upon the happiness of the average citizen, demoralizing men at the most basic level, attempting to make a mockery of manhood itself.
    Why (some) men put up with that kind of subtle but deliberate manipulation of their own integrity and standing as males, and our Nation's strength, is difficult to understand.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sarcasm and irony allude you don't they Brenda?

I personally was making a joke about a common stereotype.  The stereotype came from YOUR camp not mine.  So if you are arguing that YOUR stereotypes make a mockery of manhood (whatever the hell that means to you) then... err... I guess you should stop then?

As for my husband, if he were any more manly I'd have to hand him an ax and an ox and point him towards a forest.  Our life is absolutely lousy with gay men and women.  His integrity and standing as a male is completely untouched.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I don't get it, Brenda. If your marriage is healthy, and you are happy, why do you feel so threatened by gay marriage?

1. Pcunix profile image88
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Because she thinks the Bible tells her it is wrong.

She pays scant attention to other prohibitions in that book, no doubt.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Yep, but a more detailed, rational examination by Brenda, would better help us understand how she has acquired her "evidence". smile

1. Pcunix profile image88
            Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Be careful what you wish for smile

I asked for "evidence" wink

14. HattieMattieMae profile image68
    HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago

Don't think it devalues my marriage, or does anything to my marriage personally.  Don't see what any other relationship has to do with my own. The relationship I have is between me and my partner. If other people interfere in it, yes I have a say in it.

15. HattieMattieMae profile image68
    HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago

Ha Ha you do have point Mighty Mom, the guy down the street his yard is perfect and immaculate as you speak. lol Never see him most of the year, but the summer time doing his yard work all the time. Probably the best yard and house on the block!

16. Stevennix2001 profile image84
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

I think anyone that feels threatened by all this really has no security of their own sexuality.  I mean just because two guys, two girls or whatever decide to get hitched, why should we care?  It's their lives.  What a person does behind closed doors is nobodies' business but their own.  I could care less.  Just leave me out of it, and we'll get along just fine.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image68
      HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree Steve. I don't even talk about my own relationship in public, so why don't think it's really necessary, but of course some people do believe in kissing and telling. I just never was one of them. My private life is my own. lol

17. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

This is one of those threads where I really wish HubPages had a +1 button. I'd be +1-ing all over the place. ♥

+1. I guess we're in the majority, then. smile

18. profile image67
    SanXuaryposted 5 years ago

I do not know my neighbours now and do we ever really know them?

19. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

In the same way that anything that waters down the constitution and the concept of family. It devalues them.

There is no need for same sex marriage, it does nothing even to help same sex partners that would chose not to marry.

A better fix would be to use contract law to make a partnership to cover any of the requirements that any two people might want to have between them.

Same Sex Marriage doesn't accomplish that for all the same sex relationships

20. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 5 years ago

It threatens to devalue your traditional heterosexual marriage because fearmongering and blowing up personal issues that have no place in politics are more than effective tools in drawing your attention away from real issues, like corporate deregulation and corruption.

1. ib radmasters profile image59
      ib radmastersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

PeeG

Do you want to try that again so we can understand it?
      I have read it three times and don't have a clue.

1. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ok...

Gay marriage doesn't devalue traditional marriage, it's just one of the many social issues that have no place in politics and that conservatives blow out of proportion to elicit emotional response votes from people and detract from real issues.

working