What is the recipe for a happy marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (40 posts)
  1. EuroCafeAuLait profile image79
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years ago

What is the recipe for a happy marriage?

2. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

One cup of forgiveness, 1/2 a teaspoon of humor, 2 tablespoons of forgiveness, 1 ounce of understanding, 3 cloves of forgiveness, 1 1/2 dessert spoons of thoughtfulness, 4 llbs of forgiveness.

Mix all of the above with prayer, toss in the oven of love, bake for years, leave to cool for a few more years, cut and serve, it is always enough to feed a whole happy and forgiving family.

Bless you.

3. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

Sincerity, trust,love and passions for one another.

4. ULinder profile image60
    ULinderposted 12 years ago

Communication, trust, and laughter.  smile  All of these make the two people feel comfortable and able to tackle any challenge in life.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

My 36th anniversary is the 20th.  Figuring out your and your spouses love language is so helpful. I realized this a few years ago when my husband was very ill I tried reflexology to help relieve his pain.  What I soon learned was my anger about the situation abated when I was working on his feet. His pain was relieved and he felt so loved because his love language is touch. Feeling loved helped him heal and made him nicer.

6. lifelovemystery profile image78
    lifelovemysteryposted 12 years ago

I'm coming up on our second anniversary and still trying to figure out the answer to this question. We are so DIFFERENT....le sigh.

I think the best recipe includes communication and excludes assumptions.
    Lots and Lots of grace
    Humor - truckloads
    The ability to clench one's teeth, and not respond the way I (ahem) really want to.
    Breathe deeply and remember he has the Y chromosome
    AND
    He is from Mars.

1. EuroCafeAuLait profile image79
      EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Y oh Y... LOL... Thanks for sharing, loved your honest to goodness answer smile

7. Trevor Davis profile image57
    Trevor Davisposted 12 years ago

Honesty

8. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

I think you first have to start off with two people who truly love each other. They must also have the same goals for the marriage and AGREE on how to obtain them. When two people are on the same page it's amazing how smoothly things run. It really pays to get to know someone very well prior to getting married.

9. QueenOfTheHouse profile image61
    QueenOfTheHouseposted 12 years ago

Top 10 ways to help make and keep your husband happy and successful. read more

10. Andrea Streeter profile image60
    Andrea Streeterposted 12 years ago

Communication is the number 1 ingredient for a wonderful, happy marriage. My husband and I are both in our 2nd marriage. We talked a lot before we got married. We knew that communication was extremely important. We have never went to bed angry with one another, and we never argue. If something is bothering either of us, we talk about it. I believe many marriages can be saved if the couple has an open line of communication.

11. Chastity D profile image60
    Chastity Dposted 12 years ago

How much forgivness do you need?  All you should have to have is understanding then the forgivness will follow. Compromise will come into play at all times...it is a give and take situation all the time with any relationship you are in whether it is parent to child or husband to wife.  You have more forgivness in your recipe than anything else...how about more understanding, trust, and thoughtfulness in our "recipes"?

12. jinojohny profile image41
    jinojohnyposted 12 years ago

Understanding each other,give surprise Gifts.
    The most thing is Love&care for each other

13. ustad profile image59
    ustadposted 12 years ago

understanding eachother and handling issues togather with care and by stopping blame game. baseless blames leave longterm effect on good relationship.
    Women always, as per my experience,  sacrifice more for their husband and childern. Thats why i never blamed for anything to my lifepartner.

14. Raziya22 profile image57
    Raziya22posted 12 years ago

its your love and his love , trust will make your marriage happier

15. Jennifer Madison profile image76
    Jennifer Madisonposted 12 years ago

Communication, understanding, making compromises, sharing a leisure activity, dedicating one day per week only to you and your partner where you can go eat in a fancy restaurant, go watch a movie, prepare snacks and go picnicking in a park, cook a special meal together, like an exotic dish, etc. The "to do" list is endless but without any doubt, be creative, spontaneous, surprise your partner from time to time and make him/her feel loved.

16. profile image57
    watumademeposted 12 years ago

The recipe for a happy marriage is trust, respect, not being judgemental, honesty, communication, and love.

17. glmclendon profile image61
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

Start with a friend, don't rush love. Keep an open mind, there are times you will agree to disagree. Don't fight dirty(bring up old fights) Look for areas you can agree, Slow to anger and quick to praise. Remember to say: I love you everyday. Don't forget to say I am sorry. Hold and kiss her/him like it might be the last  time.

Stay Well

18. profile image58
    Ferraoposted 12 years ago

Fidelity towards one's partner. Being faithful is very important in marriage. understanding each other, caring and loving and giving God a special place in your life are ingredients for a happy marriage.

19. Hunbbel Meer profile image76
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

Loyalty, dedication, sincerity, honesty, lots of humour, an amazing friendship, a touch of understanding, and a little sense of satisfaction is all that it takes for a happy marriage. At least, this is what I think.

20. chivs86 profile image80
    chivs86posted 12 years ago

I heard somebody say on TV once(a husband referring to his wife) that the secret of a long successful marriage is doing what you're told.  I don't know how true that is and in effect I'd say it's easier said than done.  So I would say by making sure you're with somebody who you truly love.

21. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 12 years ago

A happy marriage requires a little love and caring about what the other wants and needs.  But don't neglect your own wants and needs or it will never be happy for both parties.

22. bskumar profile image67
    bskumarposted 12 years ago

The main ingredients to a happy marriage life is trust and understanding your partner. Sprinkle some sacrifice to the recipe and flavor with love and forgiveness. A women always desires that her husband remains honest to her and a men wants his wife to remain committed to him. So, knowing each other will make the dish more tasty. It may take time to build a mouthwatering recipe of strong relation, but when it is built no outside force can break it up. Rumors and misunderstandings can come up everytime, but a couple who understands each other can break the shackles of the barriers and create another milestone of a successful married life. The recipe is simple yet hard to maintain and takes time to nourish, but when served really makes up for every pain and sacrifice in life. Go for it and you will never regret.

23. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 12 years ago

I think it has to do with forgiveness, selflessness, and choosing to commit and love.

24. Pallavi Khurana profile image54
    Pallavi Khuranaposted 12 years ago

Trust,space and friendship mix in right amount .....your marriage will be surely a happy marriage!

25. josemon17 profile image41
    josemon17posted 12 years ago

Try to communicate each other.Don't hide anything.Just share the things which makes the family happy.

26. Urfriendlyinfo profile image41
    Urfriendlyinfoposted 12 years ago

A relationship without any relationship.

27. profile image49
    Jayceeloveposted 12 years ago

trust and confidence in eachother because if you dont have trust in a relationship you doomed

28. taw2012 profile image61
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

Love and trust is the ingredients for a successful marriage life. You love your partner and trust him/her; that will make the marriage life a heavenly one!!!

29. Windclimber profile image69
    Windclimberposted 12 years ago

Wine, vodka, gin, a little rum and whiskey, and occasionally, with care, tequila!  Also, separate bathrooms, and if necessary, separate houses (my uncle and his girlfriend have kept a river - literally - between them for 25 years!)

On a more serious note, check out Harville Hendrix's "Getting the Love You Want" - it is a very down-to-Earth (no Mars / Venus stuff) about relationships and makes more sense than anything else I've ever read on the subject.  In the beginning he establishes a LOT of credibility by listing things people in love say to each other, and as I read the list, I thought, "I said that . . . and that . . . and I was told that . . . and that . . ." - and then he goes on to explain why these are common expressions and feelings. 

And then, there's the modern marraige, a la Rod Stewart - a guy finds a woman he just can't get along with, buys her a house, and then never talks to her again . . . ba-bump, ching!

30. hectordang profile image53
    hectordangposted 12 years ago

I would say humility, trust, and selflessness.

31. hair bender profile image56
    hair benderposted 11 years ago

Recipe For A Happy Marriage Poem

4 cups of Love
    2 cups of Loyalty
    Dash of Faith
    3 cups of Kindness
    4 cups of Understanding
    1 cup of Friendship
    5 spoonfuls of Hope
    1 barrel of Laughter
    Pinch of Forgiveness (no substitutions)
    Dash of Thoughtfulness (not optional)

Take love and loyalty and mix thoroughly with faith.
    Blend in kindness and understanding, add friendship and hope.
    Sprinkle abundantly with laughter. Garnish with forgiveness and thoughtfulness.
    Bake with sunshine.
    Serve daily with generous helpings.

32. mathira profile image77
    mathiraposted 11 years ago

Happy marriage is easily attainable when there is compatibility, tolerance and the ability to adjust to each others fault. When you demonstrate your love openly, your marriage becomes even more happy.

33. GoodLady profile image91
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

Half a pound of Tolerance. Quarter of a pound of Generosity.  Beat with egg white till soft and fluffy.
    Butter the inside of your baking dish with sugar.
    Put the oven on medium hot.
    Add a Quarter of a pound of Good Sex to your mixture and gently stir.
    Sprinkle with chocolate and trips to Personal Paradise.
    Cook for several hours every day.
    Take it out of the oven and put it on a rack made of gold to chill, then sprinkle with music and dancing.
    And if you have children let them have most of it.
    Also let your friends have most of it
    And you too, you have most of it too!
    Buon appetito.

34. Mrs Jil Manning profile image84
    Mrs Jil Manningposted 11 years ago

Be the fierce guardian of the other person's private time, and personal goals and needs.  Give all the things to your loved one that you want for yourself.  Spend a healthy amount of time apart, and remember they are just another human being trying to make their way in the world, just like you.

35. prettynutjob30 profile image85
    prettynutjob30posted 11 years ago

Lots of love, care, and tons of understanding.

36. profile image49
    decelyn06posted 11 years ago

love,trust,communication,respect to each other dont give him a reason to find someone new yes marriage is not easy we have manny problem and trial  but thats not a reason to give up keep him/her always happy with you always remember that your spouse is a gift from god show your love the way  he/she wanted

37. bilalshn profile image61
    bilalshnposted 11 years ago

There is no rocket science of happy marriage. Couple needs to understand and respect each other feelings. Human beings do make mistake and at times quite big ones though but that does not mean you have to spoil the whole relation. Just never let your loved one to loose trust on you. Because trust once gone, never comes back for sure. So keep it simple and give other person the space he/she requires and never be demanding or impose restrictions.
    Try this out it will certainly work. It has worked for many.

38. Anand Lavan profile image53
    Anand Lavanposted 10 years ago

My opinion is that the secret recipe behind a sucessful married life is the proper understanding between the partners. Both of them should try to know about the positives and negatives of their partner and try to behave as they wish. To maintain a sucessful married life some your likes and dislikes must be sacrificed.

39. profile image48
    brent7750posted 10 years ago

Harmony! Is this the person you wish to grow old with, go through the ups and downs with and do you wish to be there when they need you the most. Do you look into that mans or womans eyes and see beauty, truth and your other half. Are you commited to them no matter what they say, no matter how they act and no matter what has happened in their past. To understand that each day is a new day, each kiss is a new connection to your love, each sexual experience is growth as a couple. To keep the relationship fresh, new and ever changing. When things get old and repetitive take a chance, go on a journey together, take the leap of faith you took when you said "I do". Remember that both of you equally make the relationship what it is and in the end, you have each other and can be the friends and lovers you were seeking for when you first met!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)