Why do people share their secrets?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

Why do people share their secrets?

I just read an article about the importance of keeping secrets that have been divulged to us by their owners. It made wonder why people feel the need to share their secrets. Why would you share your secrets and what makes them secret?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

There are things that are not shared. They run too deep. They share their secrets with their friends because there is no fear of rejection by the person they share it with. If it is about pain, then sharing it with someone alleviates it. It is the meaning of public joys, private sorrows.

3. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Some secrets are meant to share and pass down in generations otherwise it will be lost forever.

Just like the secrets kept by the famous Feng Shui master and had not been taught to his disciples, now it is lost forever. It is also like skills being kept secret and that skill is again lost forever.

I do believe that it should be shared for such secrets so that future generations will benefit from them.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

For me, if I consider it "a secret" I won't be sharing it with anyone, at all, ever (or at least until I decide I don't want it to be a secret any longer.   There are "confidences", which are things we want kept within a small circle of close family members or friends  Those are different from secrets..   I'll share a confidence with someone - but never a secret.  Even with confidences, though, I'm very careful about what I'll share with whom; so I draw a line on any confidence I share too.

There are a lot of different things that make something "a secret" for me.  Most of them have to do, I guess, with the idea that everyone has a right to privacy on some matters; but also with whether or not other people (as the famous move-line goes) "can handle the truth".  Knowing how to "handle the truth" involves someone else's not being a blabbermouth, a know-it-all (who would presume to have the right to share a secret for reasons he deems important), a worrier, a person who doesn't have the reasoning ability to recognize the difference between what he's been told and "all the other stuff" he's imagined beyond that, or someone who gets something out of the secret-holder's/sharer's secret.

Sometimes we may keep things a secret only because we know someone else "doesn't know how to handle the truth".  Whatever the information is, we might otherwise not see it as "secret" at all if it weren't for the fact that we know that sharing it with someone will cause one problem or another (for us or for someone else, but seldom for the person we share the information with first).

Again, though, what makes a secret a secret is the fact that we won't share it.  To me, once it's shared it becomes either a confidence or else "public information" in general.

5. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

People do things for all kinds of reasons, whether they are "sharing" so that you can share (just being nosy).  Maybe they trust the person with whom they are sharing, there is nothing wrong with extending yourself in ways with one that you wouldn't with anyone.  Some people actually trust the wrong person and may share to their own demise.  Secrets as far as I am concerned should and usually are kept "a secret".  Anyone "sharing" too much becomes suspect, either an ulterior motive is involved or they may just need the person to store whatever files, who knows!

6. profile image0
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I don't like sharing secrets because at some point, i think it could be used against me (even if it's to a loved one). Well, maybe a tiny secret. lol

However, I love sharing secrets of surprise parties or events. Everyone knows except the person who will have the big surprise and that's quite exciting.

Example a friend could share a secret, that he will be proposing marriage to your friend and ask you to keep it a secret. I love those kind of secrets. smile

7. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

then why call it a secret in the first place? maybe, it could better be called a controversy, a mystery, a gossip..... Call it anything, but any shared information cannot ever be a secret.

8. chivs86 profile image78
    chivs86posted 12 years ago

I would say maybe it's because they just can't keep that kind of information to themselves.  They can't get these secrets out of their heads and they don't want these secrets to be secrets anymore.  They share these secrets with people they think they can trust, but sometimes because like Lisa HW say's in the answer below they don't want it to be a secret anymore.

9. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I think people view secrets to hold power of one kind or another, so they just can't help but tell them to others. I can understand that if people have their own secrets, but not so much if others entrust us their something.

10. YvetteParker profile image60
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Two reasons for me sharing my secrets with someone I trust:
    1) some secrets become too overwhelming trying to hold on to them, and actually cause more harm than good by remaining secret.
    2) some secrets that I thought were earth-shattering and devasting initially, over the process of time really were not and actually brought a sense of peace and relief once they were revealed. 

I do not divulge what others share with me in secrecy and hope that no one would divulge what I share with them in confidentiality.

11. charlitokenn profile image42
    charlitokennposted 12 years ago

When it comes to sharing secrets there are a number of reasons that make people want to share their secrets or other people’s secrets. This can be due to a number of reasons, some people not being trustworthy since it’s just in their nature to... read more

12. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 12 years ago

People sharing their secrets?

Isn't that an oxymoron?  ;-)

13. profile image0
    Mountain_Roseposted 12 years ago

Donnaisabella! LOL My hubby and I were just discussing this very topic the other day!

I, personally, don't 'believe' in secrets. If you feel the need to do or say something, have the balls/lady-balls to do or say it in front of the person you are doing or saying it to. LOL Does that make sense? Secrets are little more than lies to me.

However, on the other hand...if someone were to share a 'secret' with me, it would be my duty out of respect alone (mind you, it has to be someone I actually respect) that I would keep their secret and not reveal it to a single soul. Anyone else, I'd be like...'Hey, you need to blab to someone else cause I don't care!'

Some consider my views brash and I've lost a couple of 'friends' over issues such as this, but you know...if you keep a 'secret' and someone finds out via someone else...it never turns out good, unless it's something like - So and so is in love with so and so; or I'm going to donate to this charity but I want it to remain anonymous; or something selfless and an act of true human kindness. smile

I don't know if that helps and I got a little more lengthy than I had planned, but there you go! XD

14. SteveBracken profile image55
    SteveBrackenposted 11 years ago

i know that in my case i feel the need to share information, even if i'm not proud of whatever the secret may be or whether it is anyone's business. i don't know why i feel the need to get things off my chest in this way, i just do. i believe that a lot of people do this. people are social animals and with that comes the desire to share gossip or discuss their problems or experiences. (By sharing secrets i don't mean blurting them out to whoever i see, i mean in confidence with people i believe are trust worthy)
    If you have a secret and that somebody passed on, don't be too hard on them. By all means be annoyed with the person, but just remember that as social animals it is hardwired into us to gossip.

I'm not saying that i am right. Hope it helps smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)