Hell

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years ago

When people imply that I am going to hell because of what I believe (or more specifically what I don't believe).  I think "so what"?  Number one is:  why do you even care what happens to my so called soul and Number two is:  Hell can't be any worse that some of the things I've seen on Earth, so what does it matter?

What do you think Hell is and how do you feel about going there?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Another day, good morning hell,
      What lessons for today I cannot tell."

I am with you - Hell can't be any worse that some of the things I've seen on Earth, so what does it matter?- we are in hell and I am not coming back. smile

2. chukra G profile image60
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

for me we are surrounded by hell and heaven, you choose to live.

3. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that hell is what the Bible says it is: a place of eternal judgment, a place of fire. But to your question "why do you even care"? We care in part because we are commanded to. Second, because we can empathize, because I have been at that crossroad whether to choose God or to reject Him.

But on a more pragmatic note, I don't have to be right on this one. If I die believing that there is a hell and it doesn't exist, then I've lost nothing. We all have crazy ideas that we're going to die with. So, I was wrong on that one.

But for the person who rejects God, he'd better be right.

1. fishmox profile image61
        fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uhmmmm.
        Can you tell us where the Scripture is that commands believers to care ?

1. Bibowen profile image87
          Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's the second part of the first, great commandment: "thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 19:19; Mark 12:31). I would hope that someone would tell me of both God's love and judgment, even if I didn't want to hear it at first.

2. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could show you lots of places where it commands believers to kill!

4. GreatContent profile image59
      GreatContentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two Greek words for the word "hell." One Greek word is Hades, and the other Greek word is Geenna. I will briefly discuss them both....

Hades: From a Hebrew perspective, this is the place of the dead. It is where ALL men go when they die. This is the grave yard here, and not a burning pit of fire.

Geenna: This is, in English, called the Valley Of Hinnom. This place actually existed outside of Jerusalem. It was a place where babies were sacrificed to molech, criminals were sent there as the death penalty, worms were always present, and the fire always burned.

Our focus here is the word Geenna. Although this place physically existed, its figurative when it refers to eternal death. The reality of eternal death is the simple destruction of man, the wicked rather. The valley of hinnom's main purpose was to destroy the trash and bodies that were being thrown in there. These things would burn up, and no longer exist.

THAT is the reality of eternal death. Whoever has not repented of their Torah-breakings, and trust in Yashah Messiah for their salvation, then they will suffer this horrible fate. Choose life Yehwah says(Deut 30).

2. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Everybody goes to hell. Good and bad. The lake of fire, now thats entirely different.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well put.  I think that God is not entirely good.  Nothing can exsist without an antithesis. This life can't be entirely good or bad, so I don't think the afterlife (broad term) can be catagorized in those terms.

3. Miss M profile image61
    Miss Mposted 14 years ago

Hell's real horrible. I mean, you don't wannna THINK OF GOING THERE, honey! And trust me, I do not want to cross paths with Satan!

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I recommend getting a door signs that says, "I already heard the
      'good news', now please go away".  big_smile

1. Miss M profile image61
        Miss Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol!

1. Raven King profile image59
          Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Scooby Doo said, "Yeah I heard the good news. There's cookies."

LOL

4. mugshot profile image57
    mugshotposted 14 years ago

Who can say your going to hell?

Only God can judge you when you get to the pearly white gates of heaven and you are either allowed in or a sneaky trap door opens under your feet sending you on an incredible slide journey to the depths of Satan lair!

1. profile image58
      Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Weeeee!!!  That sounds like fun (does Disney own it?)

5. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

It brings to mind two versus in the bible:

'Judge not, lest ye be judged'

and

'May he who has never sinned cast the first stone'

As human beings we are unfit to tell another human being they are going to hell, regardless of the observations we might make of another's actions. After all, isn't the creator that determines it? If so, who are we to determine what divinity will later decide?

As for what it is and how I feel about possibly going there ... therein lies the pinion of faith. If you believe Hell is an awful place, then indeed, your faith better be strong during your lifetime. Of course, just leading a good life is far better than worrying about your fate, as it should insure a good afterlife, provided one does exist.

And what if there is no afterlife ... and we just fail to exist when we die? Well, then you have contributed to the longevity of mankind by bringing them an inch closer to civility.

This reminds me of a neighbor years back who told me I was going to Hell because I stopped going to church (I attended faithfully as a child, then determined later in life to go my won road for reasons I won't go into here).

I turned to her and said, 'We go to church to learn, and at this point in life I think I have passed enough tests to have finally graduated - as I am now able to apply the skills I worked so hard to master.'

The neighbor had no idea what to say ...

My 2 cents? Don't focus on the negative side of life ... focus on the positive side. Ask yourself ... in one lifetime, how many lives can I touch and add meaning to. Then, seek to outdo your goal, and do it because it adds meaning to your life - not because some creator asks you to do so. After all, when we become adults we stop trying to please our parents and focus deeper on working toward common goals with our peers ... that's how life should be.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Koraden/Torn.png

2. profile image58
      Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good comeback to the neighbor.  Church serves are basically just Christinity 101 over and over again.  Some people need the fellowship or just go to church so they can feel like they are better than the ones who dont' go.

You sell yourself short...your advice is worth waaaay more than 2 cents.  I don't focus on the negative at all...matter of fact, I just ignore it all together which is why I shrug off people who "tell" me where I am going.  I like the idea of doing good things for people just to make them happy...so much better than doing good things for people so I can get into heaven.

6. mugshot profile image57
    mugshotposted 14 years ago

LOL know last I heard it was Coca Cola and it was another marketing ploy to sell more cans as its a little hot in hell and Coca Cola will quench your thirst!

7. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Hell is a place inside of your head. The idea exists in christianity as a way to explain duality, heaven and hell are allegedly opposing forces of good and evil. Human psychology can be both positive and negative attitude.

Buddhist psychology equates the human mind on  levels to Hungry Ghosts,Human,Superhuman and Gods. I much prefer the buddhist version personally so the question of going to hell does not arise.

If I choose to put myself in hell by having a bad attitude, which produces abusive relationships, poor health and numerous other issues then that is my personal responsibility.

Hell is the result of thinking in a particular way.

1. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's about it in a nutshell.

1. earnestshub profile image80

Not quite I feel, what about being born in the wrong place?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

The Buddhist believe we are in a dimension of hell and there are other dimensions.Being one with god is the dimension of heaven.

2. Jewels profile image82
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to quickly get out of your current situation and navigate better next time.  I've heard the trajectory of incarnation is tricky.

Do you mean die early and come back hoping to be born in Australia rather than Cambodia?

8. profile image0
    IĂ°unnposted 14 years ago

The way I understand hell is that you spend eternity separated from God's love.  It's compared to that horrible feeling like when you had your first real love and then it ended, only multiplied incredibly.

My religion's dogma is that almost no one goes to hell.  In order to go to hell you would have to know, really know, that God exists and then reject him purposefully.  Pretty much everything else can be burned off in purgatory.

According to Church doctrine, any person who goes through their life being as good a person as they can be, whether they believe in God or not, is saved by something called baptism of desire. The concept is that if they had had the opportunity to really believe, they would have.

9. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

No hell. Just a lot of fear created by controlling old men writing to scare people in to doing what they want.

10. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Hell can be spoken of in two senses. One is the temporary abode in the spirit world of those who were disobediant in this mortal life. It is between death and the resurection, and those people will abide there untill the last resurection, in this sense the spiritual death or (second death) will have an end when they have paid the price of their sins and enter into a degree of glory after their resurection.
         On the other hand, the Devil and his angels, including the sons of perdition, are assigned to a place known as a lake of fire-a figure of eternal anguish, but this kind of "Hell" is exclusively for the Devil and his angels, and is not the same of that consisting only of the periodbetween death and resurection.
         The one group are redeemed from Hell and inherit some degree of glory. The other receive no glory. They continue in spiritual darkness. For them the conditions of Hell remain.

Disobedient? To your god no doubt. I have never understood the arrogance to tell others what to believe in, followed by threats. What a croc!

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, very thought provoking insight, tell me, if there is a heaven and a God then why should you "having lived your life without an iota of faith," be given a crown of rightousness, to be joint heirs with Christ, to have heaped upon you the eternal blessings of Heaven despite the fact that you miserably failed the test of faith? Ofcourse you might feel a little awkward, but after all it's what you deserve for some reason.

You have once again insulted every non believer. In this case everyone who does not believe what you do, and imply that I have failed some test of faith? Like I said, rude and arrogant.

1. profile image0

You commented on my beliefs therefore I have begun to explain them to you. I believe that there is redemption for the dead and for those who were decieved in this life. Simply put; Heaven is divided from one glory to the next, and is composed with much diversity. There are bodies celestial and those which are terrestrial and they differin glory as the glory of the Sun differs from that of the Moon and the Stars.

Just as there is a division in the world of spirits among those in paradise and those in prison, each will be judged at the last day and given their eternal rest, from the highest to the lowest.

I did not comment on your beliefs, I commented on your exclusion of other's beliefs.

1. profile image0

True Dat amigo, I do have my personal beliefs! but please take note that one of those beliefs is that there is a place set asside for everyone of God's creatures, even for the adulterous, murdrers, Idol worshipers, etc.. and if you were to see a vision of that place you might wish to kill yourself to get there. Then how great would be the afterlife marked with the full efulgence of the sun and the eternal blessings of God reminicant in your life forever be?

From your posts I had the impression that one needed to be Christian to be forgiven by your god first.

2. getpaidtopost profile image39
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you earnest, bullying is what i call it.

11. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

In one sense hell can be thought of as a form of hypnosis by the church to keep people subservient during the period of the middle ages in Europe.

1. fishmox profile image61
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's Marx, paraphrased.

12. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I always thought Hell was something the priests and nuns made up to keep us in line. "If you do xyz again, you're going to burn in hell for all eternity!" smile

Somewhere along the way in the Catholic Church's twisted logic, I personally chose to believe that God is forgiving and never gives up on his children. That sorta doesn't jive with her sending us to hell to live in eternal damnation and burn for all eternity.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and did you also "learn" about the "big, black marks" on your soul?  Venial sins were said to be gray marks, and mortal sins were big, black marks.  So then there were - like - seven-year-old kids who lied about forgetting their spelling book, and thought their souls were black-marked forever.     smile

13. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Don't believe in hell. Who's been there anyway???  smile

1. getpaidtopost profile image39
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ive been there and come back wink

2. mohitmisra profile image60

We are all in hell.

Indeed we are!

1. Enelle Lamb profile image74
          Enelle Lambposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have the right of it!

14. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Psychologically, that can either happen or be perceived... smile

15. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The idea of hell kind if odd if you think about it.  The most cruel tyrant to ever breathed did not subject people to continuous torture forever.  Yet that's what we claim the most good and merciful entity in the universe will do to you if you don't follow the rules.  It is made clear the you will suffer agony for all eternity if you simply refuse to bow and worship.  Is that what you would expect from an all good God?

No it is not, you make a good point, Why would a god be so insecure as to require worship anyway?

16. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Hell just IS! Treat it any way you want. It's your own destiny that you affect.
    Believing "in it" does NOT make it so, neither does denying it make it NOT so.
    The disagreements can (and probably will) go on as long as we breathe, and it won't change a thing.

17. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

With the fires twinkling, it might be nice at Christmastime.  It can't be much hotter than Texas in August.  If it is, a person would die, and since we're already dead... How bad could it be?
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/xmas%20in%20hell.jpg

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats pretty my friend. smile

18. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

If going to hell will keep me safe from the mormons, jehovah's witnesses, and scientologists, I'm packing my sunscreen now.

If it means safety from any fundamentalists, I got the sunnies and beer ready to go!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And the freemasons... oh wait, that's us.

Never mind, we will get plenty of discipline for that in hell, there's this girl I feel sure ....

2. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

19. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.clivebarker.com/images/gallery/visions/250/hell_cat.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)