jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is something that you regret the most?

1. Michaelmas profile image64
    Michaelmasposted 6 years ago

What is something that you regret the most?

2. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

Nothing.
    Everything I did (successes and failures) made who I am now.
    Having ANY regret is to admit that you (anyone) do not want to be yourself because what you regret is an integral part of who you are.

3. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

It is almost poetic that your question appears today........just after I shared this story with another..........

We were discussing our childhood misadventures and pranks.

As I recounted this story, tears truly came to my eyes.

I grew up on an old school farm with many brothers and a single sister.

It was the chore of my sister and I to gather the eggs from the henhouse.  I was ( and am ) afraid of snakes......even the non-poisiounus types.........

One spring, in a childish attempt to get out of the chore........

I went into the hen house and broke the eggs..........several  dozen, and blamed it on my sister.

In my childish mind, I may have thought, that as a punishment, my sister would single handedly recieve the chore.........who remembers what a childish mind thought....

but my Sis, took a whipping from a stern Grandmother..........and it was my fault.

In the years to come, my sister and I would do many childish, teenage and young adult things together.  We would cover and protect one another time and time again.  Eventually, we would part ways...........and the closeness of childhood would drift away.

My sister, today, holds no ill towards me over this childish prank, but I have not yet forgiven myself for having harmed her in such a way.  I have grandchildren today, and her only son serves in the US military, but I still carry the shame of having caused her harm.  It is the one simple thing in life that I can't get past.........it is not about the eggs, it is about how I knowingly laid my guilt on one so precious to me..........she has gotten past it, but I have not.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I regret that I didn't have enough time to bring my mum to travel before she passed away. How I wish we had more time so she can travel with us and see my children growing up. I miss her very much.

5. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

There are a few things in my life that I regret.  I respect onegoodwoman's honost and candid reply.  My personal accounts of my regrets will stay with me for the time being...Thanks for asking such a delicate question.

6. Danette Watt profile image85
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

I agree that regrets are a waste of our energy - all that we do or didn't do make us who we are. I try to focus on what I want or need to do to keep moving forward in life.

7. ii3rittles profile image81
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

I can't regret anything. The mistakes I've made helped me become who I am today and I honestly like myself more now then I did 5 years ago.

8. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image58
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 6 years ago

“I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”
                 Nathan Hale

9. FranYo profile image59
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

I grew up in foster homes, and perhaps because of this I became a child who was closed up and kept to myself in all ways. Feeling that only I could be trusted to guard my own heart may have been the reason for this, I don't know.
    But my one regret was that for so many years I did not speak up for myself, did not ever rock the boat nor scream about the injustices and unrighteousness of the people who prayed hard in public, but were unkind and unjust to others in private.
    If I had it to do over again I would be "there" for my innocent self and the brother I lost to suicide at such a young age.  I would be loud and I would be proud to call bs on the lies and abuse.

working