Mental Illness VS Demonic possession

Jump to Last Post 51-75 of 75 discussions (89 posts)
  1. Grams Study profile image59
    Grams Studyposted 7 years ago

I wrote a hub in answer to this.  I am a nurse of 38 years but not an authority Hope you will read it and try to understand my logic

2. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 7 years ago

First, seek medical attention to verify.

Once confirm, seek help for demonic possession.

3. shop online fast profile image60
    shop online fastposted 7 years ago

i believe there is a difference between mental illness and demonic possession.  mental illness is detectable and therefore treatable with medicine.

demonic possession, on the other hand, is not detectable and treatable with medicine. a healty person can be demon possessed occasionally. for example, if someone cuts you off in traffic and you respond very violently, then you've been temporarily possessed.  some people are permanently possed, while others are possessed occasionally.

the similarity between mental illness and demonic possession is that both can be eliminated through prayer.

4. Pollyannalana profile image86
    Pollyannalanaposted 7 years ago

People can become mentally disabled in many ways or even born so. Possession is of satan and he uses man's bodies to curse and mock God, that is how you can know it is possession. That is also how you can know satan and God are very real.

5. Salmanstk42 profile image60
    Salmanstk42posted 7 years ago

I think your mind want to rest. flash back no needed

6. Seek-n-Find profile image83
    Seek-n-Findposted 7 years ago

Jesus taught us to pray, "...thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven..."  I don't believe there is mental illness or sickness of any kind in heaven.  This is also God's desire for earth, since He taught us to pray "on earth as it is in heaven."  So I would say that the root of mental illness is not from God and if something is not from God, it is from evil.  That could be effects of sin/the curse or it could be demonic activity.  I don't think that this answer is an easy open and close case.  I think sometimes the roots are demonic and sometimes they are not, but either way it is evil because it opposes God's kingdom.  When the Bible says that Jesus died to save us--the Greek word is SOZO.  This word means "to heal, deliver, protect, and save."  So Jesus' work on the cross not just saved us in terms of eternal life, but he bore our sicknesses and diseases, as well.  Jesus did sometimes cast demons out of a person when they had a sickness of some sort (physical or mental) and since Jesus is God and knows all things, He would  not cast a demon out for lack of knowledge of what was "really wrong."  Our modern scientific and psychological understanding of things is not more intelligent than what Jesus knows!  So how does one know the difference?  I would say to look at the person's life--did anything happen before the symptoms displayed in which a person was exposed to or opened the door to evil of some sort?  What is the fruit of the disease?  Does the disease make the person think evil and destructive thoughts?  I believe evil comes from evil.  I'd have to write a hub to answer the question better but hope there is some insight here!

7. ValL profile image62
    ValLposted 7 years ago

Before science came along to answer many questions, people believed in demonic possessions. Many mental illnesses can look remarkably like someone is possessed by a mysterious evil force however it helps no one to believe this is actually the case. Thankfully there is help out there for most mental illnesses and more research being done for those where there are still many questions. Unfortunately there is such a stigma still in today's society, which prevents people stepping forward and getting the help they need and deserve. Really, in the end, it is just a challenge like any other to be overcome and conquered. Mental illnesses should be treated the same as physical illnesses.

8. uknow profile image60
    uknowposted 7 years ago

i guess it would depend on your beliefs about a spirit and higher :beings:
    someone who appears demonic likely has a severe mental illness that causes him or her to behave in a way that is clearly abnormal. somebody who is "possessed" has behaved or conducted themselves in a way that has re-programmed them and they don't know the difference between what is right and what is wrong.

9. profile image50
    E-A-Rposted 6 years ago

Hi.I would suggest you read the book, Christian set yourself free by Graham Powell. He is an expert on the subject and will explain very clearly your question.

10. Saved by Jesus profile image54
    Saved by Jesusposted 6 years ago

I don't think all mental illnesses are demonic, because I do know that severe vitamin defiencies(sp?) and food allergies can cause psychotic episodes and major depression.  But in some cases, I do believe it can be demonic, because in the Bible, there is a story of a naked man in a cave that would sit and cry and scream and cut himself with stones.....that certainly sounds like someone with Borderline Personality Disorder and depression!     I myself have had times when I was in church, depressed, and someone would cast out a demon of depression, and I could literally "feel" it leave, and would feel light and happy afterwards.   So yes, there is a lot to it.  I would first try to have any mental illness cast out and any vitamin defiecencies (sp?), etc. taken care of before going on any addictive psych meds that causes horrid side effects, if anyone was dealing with a mental illness.

11. profile image48
    jmatsilvposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately Harlan when you ask a question of this nature to anyone and everyone that could see this post, (which is alot of people) all with different beliefs and understandings, you're not really going to get a straight answer. This is the major problem right now with comments on the worldwide web..... you do not really know the people answering you, there's no relationship and trust built for you to really believe anything anyone says. Questions like this are better off asked amongst people you know, love, and trust.

However after saying that, i would still like to give you some thoughts. I am a Christian and a Pastor (Judge away people... as soon as I identify myself as such, it's what always happens) Anyways Harlan... I do not believe that ALL mental illness is demonic activity. The brain is an organic entity that can be prone to malfunction just as much as any other part of our body. So IN MY EXPERIENCE this is where we (as Christ-Followers) believe for healing. And I believe in healing because I was healed from a debilatating hip disorder that could not be diagnosed. The doctors could not explain the healing, but I knew.

HOWEVER... as it was said earlier IN MY EXPERIENCE actual demonic activity masked as mental illness usually manifests specifically in severe hatred of towards God and Christians, disrespectful outbursts during a meeting or gathering where Gods word is taught, or prayer and worship is taking place.

One time at  a Youth Conference we hosted, a young woman began shouting, growling, and violently shaking while the band was singing "Holy is the Lord." Everyone around her just moved back, except for some of the older female leaders. I went over and said, "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth COME OUT!" She flew back in the air landed on the floor then sat up, came to herself and crying said, "Thank you, it was like I had no control."

So to the guy who said on here that demon possession is a pile of garbage. Where's your proof? Because me and 150 other witnesses have experiental proof otherwise.  "A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument."

Hope this helps in your thought process Harlan. wink

1. SidKemp profile image89
      SidKempposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, JMatsilv. When one's experience is so different from what most people expect, it takes courage to speak out in a global forum. And your experience makes sense with my experience and approach (see link to hub under SidKemp below).

2. liftandsoar profile image76
      liftandsoarposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good word, jmatsilv.  Yes, there are some advantages to knowing the folks you're discussiong issues with.  But it's also easier to evaluate content a bit more objectively, not knowing the person you're engaging.

3. Harlan Colt profile image70
      Harlan Coltposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. People are talking about it and exchanging ideas. In our modern treatments, demonic possession is "never" and academic consideration with patients. Thus, are any misdiagnosed? How would they know?

12. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 5 years ago

I have my own theory that in that time, they confused mental illness for demonic possession.  In extreme cases, the patient could even act in the way that a supposed demon would.  I assume that Jesus decided it would be best to not explain the science behind what he was doing, as they probably wouldn't understand it either way.

13. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

i have a sister who is schizophrenic...having done research on this, i learned that such people hear voices that tell them bad things, like they are worthless or that someone is trying to hurt or kill them. these voices are both male and female in the same person, both old and young. i seriously believe they are possessed. this same sister tried to kill me twice. when i was three she was 5 and she got ahold of a bottle of aspirin from the bathroom and had me eat it. i died for four minutes. another time she bashed my head into a rock. she killed a dog giving birth when she was just a child. these are not things a normal child does.

1. profile image54
      Oya SA Ysovproverposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's not Schizoprenia, that's called Sibling Rivalry.
      In recent years studies on Sibling Rivalry has been taken more seriously. Your sister wants to Play The Game Of Life by her own rules, terms and conditions, and it does not include you.

14. grand old lady profile image83
    grand old ladyposted 5 years ago

As a Christian, I believe in healing through prayer, just as I believe a Christian can be healed by a doctor. An article cited a lack of exorcists to meet the demand.in Spain.  http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/24/c … r-demand/.

I've experienced both healing through doctors and through prayer in separate cases for separate illnesses. Also, I think Jesus wouldn't exorcise unless it is really necessary. Just as I believe in angels, I believe there are devils.

But one should consult doctors first, and after having done everything with no satisfying results, then an exorcist can probably be called on.

15. erorantes profile image51
    erorantesposted 5 years ago

Friends are the people who know when someone is sick. You see family and friends ofthen that they can tell mental illness. Medicine fix most brains. Demonic possession case  take it to any church. They will tell you. If the medicine does not work.

16. profile image48
    liveit2understandposted 5 years ago

This question is sought to be understood by those who have advanced degree's in the realms of Pychiatry and Psychology.
    A person can go into depth about occurrences, situations and how they overcame obstacles if they have truly lived it. A lawyer can tell you the focus, drive and dedication it took to pass a B.A.R exam. A soldier can tell you exactly what is was like to live behind enemy lines during a combat tour to Iraq or Afghanistan. A person who suffered from Mental Illness who overcame this illness can tell you exactly what went on during this long-suffering period in their life.
    In other words you must have truly lived it to understand it. Schizophrenia is nerve wrecking. It is a prison of one's very mind that is held captive in darkness. Voices intrude into one's thoughts that are heard at any given time. Loneliness and anti-social becomes a norm. Who is one to trust if their closest friends and family can not comprehend the burden they are carrying?
    From living with Schizophrenia to overcoming it through the power of prayer, spiritual warfare and the Lord's anointed power and authority I was able to cast out a demon of my own confronting and demanding it to leave my home reminding this demon it had no authority to live in me, near me or to even be around me.
    I was healed over Twelve years ago from the turmoil of what we know as Schizophrenia. I lived with it, owned it, could not get away from it, But allowing Jesus Christ into my heart and becoming a soldier in his Kingdom teaching me how to defend myself spiritually. The Lord was able to heal me and make me whole  by trusting him.
    The bible says in the book of Ephesians chapter 6 verse 12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".
    Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication

17. profile image50
    Chyleneposted 5 years ago

I've been "mentally ill" my entire life. I definitely know the difference. I am bi-polar, and my parents simply ignored the symptoms of my illness. I was what they call "highly functional", however, and except for the times when I got severely depressed and tried to kill myself, no one ever noticed a thing wrong with me (so they said). I wasn't diagnosed and treated until I was 45, upon which time my job decided they didn't want a 'crazy person' working for them and harassed me for 3 years until they managed to force me to resign,. my family decided I was just malingering to soak up all these munificent disability benefits, and anytime anybody gets mad at me, they go around telling everybody I go to a psychiatrist and I'm a nutcase. My daughter keeps calling me "her crazy mother" and hasn't spoken to me in 2 years. Ontop of all this, despite acing every vocational exam and test (I have 4 college degrees) no rehab program will accept me--I'm too unstable, they say. When I did all this stuff when I was REALLY unstable?? I am perfectly sane and normal thanks to my meds. I heard about that "demon possession theory", and told my psychiatrist if my head started spinning around on my neck and I developed an unquenchable appetite for baby hearts, should I give him a ring? He wasn't amused. Sanity is highly over-rated.

18. profile image49
    Satan is a Twatposted 5 years ago

I won't state my broad opinion about the matter because I don't want to spend the time to back it up. But I will say that I developed schizo-affective disorder after using methamphetamine for three years (and successfully quit with a lot of help) and currently hear voices. While using meth I was "visited" by multiple shadow people (a quite common occurrence for meth users and people who experience sleep paralysis)(I also believe shadow people are demons) who purposefully frightened me and performed perverted acts. These shadow people are also the same voices that I hear as a schizophrenic. While I can't prove that statement, it is based off of a sensible and reasonable conclusion. It would take a long time to back anything up and I'll leave it at that.

19. lostohanababy profile image56
    lostohanababyposted 5 years ago

Not sure.  But I would pay attention to any sudden 'change' in the person's behavior and character!

20. Oztinato profile image63
    Oztinatoposted 5 years ago

All the "demons" are within us, but they are just our own demons. For example, the "demon drink'' as we call it here.
    What was once seen as demon possession thousands of years ago is now seen as mental illness. The Bible writers could only use words and concepts they knew to describe events. What Jesus really did was heal a mentally ill person.

21. wingedcentaur profile image81
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

Hi Harlan Colt!

I don't know if you're still here at HubPages, but let me suggest this. How about reframing the question?

If your worldview encompasses both secular mental illness as well as demonic possession, why not ask if there is a relationship between the two? That is to say: Are people who become possessed somehow more vulnerable, from a clinical, secularly psychologically 'mental illness' standpoint?

If this relationship turns out to be correlative, then it might be found that exorcism (or whatever religious procedure prevails) would only be the first step. The next necessary procedure would be to address the psychological vulnerability that made him susceptible to demonic possession in the first place.

Take it easy.

22. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 5 years ago
  23. profile image50
    Melanie Altheaposted 4 years ago

An excellent question, to be sure. One that I have posed myself. I too have suffered from severe depression. And I too have questioned whether or not it was to the extreme of demonic possession. Although I do believe that demonic possession differs from mental illness, I believe that they are opposite sides of the same coin. Both are inspired by the devil, and yes, I do believe that there is a very real devil. That being said, Jesus, said, "I have come that you might have life, and that you might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10) So that shows me that God has nothing to do with any form of illness, much less demonic possession. Therefore, I put both of those things, mental illness, and demonic possession, at the devil's feet. They may not be exactly the same, but they are first cousins.

24. cer1056 profile image35
    cer1056posted 3 years ago

It is not always easy to tell who is a victim of Possession or just someone who is mentally ill.

Many times, a mentally ill person - may as well suffer from Demon or spirit possession.

Unresolved highly charged emotional issues may act as the gateway to spirit possession.  The emotional energy imbalances act a doorway that a spirit may use to enter a body.

Very few people actually suffer from Demon possession.  Spirit possession is much more common.

I personally have had to exorcise a few spirits, two demons, and a bunch of repeating incarnate sorcerers  from myself - so I kind of know what i'm talking about. 

The Power to cast out demons is a demonstration of the coming of the Holy Spirit and the Kingdom of God.

(Mat 12:28 KJV)  But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

(Luke 11:20 KJV)  But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

25. profile image54
    Oya SA Ysovproverposted 3 years ago

Demonic Possession?

Oh Please!

Everyday the sports pages of our newspapers blasts/glorifies/highlights/praises team efforts - the individuals who did exceptionally well and the individuals who were weren't playing as a team.

The Mentally Ill are people who have on a conscious or sub-conscious level 'chosen' to 'opt out' of playing 'The Game Of Life'.

They are serious minded people who take 'themselves' too serious - seriously enough to harbour voices of 'deep reason' - (depression) - in order to justify their actions, avoid their responsibilities - not just to their families, but the avoidance of being accountable to environmental, global and world issues. They leave the rest of us 'playing' a double hand - so to speak - i.e: doing things on their behalf - playing for them - thinking for them.

In most sports teams it's a big deal if the team loses or wins with 'one man down'.

The Mentally Ill are the people who have walked out office, resigned and walked off the pitch, walked off the set, making all sorts of wild claims - at whatever age they make this decision. They haven't given up on living life. They just 'choose' to Play The Game Of Life by their own terms and conditions.

As for Jesus casting out demons... religion is a convenient way to categorise and dispose of the thought there are those people who 'choose' not to 'try' and reach their optimum potential with whatever faculties and/or gifts they have been Blessed with in life/in their lives.

That's not a demon. There's no such thing as demons.
    That's not a demon that needs casting out.
    It's called Freedom.
    It's called 'the right to choose'.

Thank You!

1. Harlan Colt profile image70
      Harlan Coltposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Certianly, your comments are welcome! And I found the idea of opting out of the game - refreshingly different. Thumbs up!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)