jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do You Show Off or Boast ??

1. alisha4u profile image38
    alisha4uposted 6 years ago

Do You Show Off or Boast ??

Most of us do...but to what extent. What, if you are Revealed ? ;-)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6176631_f260.jpg

2. thelyricwriter profile image93
    thelyricwriterposted 6 years ago

I believe boasting can lead to bad karma. Karma is a bad bitty. It just all depends. If it is in a positve manner or for positive reasons, I say 100% yes. If you think about it, then it will probably hurt someone or it may be negative.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

Must admit to it - I do.   Quite often it's done by way of exaggeration; a few becomes a lot, something 'passable' becomes 'great.'  I suspect most people do this.   I suspect it comes from wanting to be noticed in a favourable light.

Becoming aware of it is probably the first step in becoming more honest, more self-effacing.   The irony  is people like the person who understakes their accomplishments.

4. alisha4u profile image38
    alisha4uposted 6 years ago

Agreed !! In order to get an upper-hand on others, some folks deliberately boast or show off. Little do they know about the consequences or say, repercussions.

And then, the act of boasting is followed by a few more....

5. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

Self praise is no recommendation, although if someone directly askes there is no harm in boasting a little.

Good question.

6. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

If someone asks me about something, I tell them. I wouldn't knowingly boast or show off about anything. What I have I work for, but I wouldn't deliberately boast about it.

7. athena2011 profile image54
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I don't think that I do or at least I don't knowingly boast, but if someone happens to ask about something and I did it well I would proudly say that I did it. Is that boasting? I don't think so.

8. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 6 years ago

I am being honest.  Boasting and bragging is just one level below straight up arrogance, which I detest.  If you are smart, excel in athletics, have won an award or are just plain famous...............people will find out.  You don't have to go around talking yourself up.  When you boast or brag, people see it immediately and develop a negative attitude about you.  Just be quiet and enjoy your accomplishment.  It is its' own reward.

9. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

Proverbs 27:1-2  "Boast not thyself of to morrow: for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.  Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth: a stranger, and not thine own lips."

Although I am guilty of boasting at times, I try not to.  This verse is pretty clear on the matter!

10. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 6 years ago

I believe that we all are guilty of this act from time to time, even if it is not knowingly done. Sometimes it comes in the form of patting yourself on the back for a job well done; mind you anything that is done to excess is just over-kill.......

11. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Maybe, I am not the most qualified to answer this of myself.............

but, NO, I do not see myself as a boastful or prideful person.

Speaking from a 'career perspective".........it ain't bragging when "the numbers" reflect my abilities.

It is not " boastful" to tell my prospective employer that I can get the job done, and  here is my track record and resulting awards..........

To think that I ( among billions) might have the "best" recipe, EVER for meatloaf..........yeah, that is prideful!

When you get to the point of thinking, that you have nothing left to learn from others............you have become, quite frankly, arrogant and egostistical.......you are no longer a team player, and you are unpleasant to be around.

You, are, at this point, a distraction, rather than an assest to your coworkers, or fellow members....of whatever group.

12. cicsomum profile image59
    cicsomumposted 6 years ago

Well I do sometimes smile about the video games lol

13. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

No. I was raised by parents who felt that boasting was rude. I wish that I could comfortably put myself out there w/ confidence, but I still hear that inner voice. I prefer to stay behind the scenes or hang with close friends when not at work.
    In the workplace ( sales and customer service) however, I am confident of my knowledge/experience and very comfortable with clients.

14. profile image0
    onlookerposted 6 years ago

Well i am not saying i am a saint. I do it sometimes and they are mainly for the right reasons like my brainy brothers grades or my dads well deserved promotions. I do not see anything wrong in that. But, having said that their are people who boast unnecessarily, which is quite sad to say the least. No ends to the exaggerations is just plain stupid, their has to be a line and a degree to the level of truth in it.

working