jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

How do you define GOD?

1. rumanasaiyed profile image78
    rumanasaiyedposted 5 years ago

How do you define GOD?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

How can we answer such a profound question.  Nevertheless, I have the temerity to try.  "God is love," it is said.  What loves us unconditionally, no matter how we treat it?   What always shows we are welcome in its life?  What is always there for us wether we're 'down and out,' are a raging worldly success.  Well...our dog.

And turn those three letter around and what have we got?  DOG becomes GOD.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image81
      SwordofManticorEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

1 John 4:8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love

3. Dan Barfield profile image78
    Dan Barfieldposted 5 years ago

Now that is a question and a half! What a way to start the day smile

God is omnipresent: The term 'God' and 'Universe' are interchangeable. He is in everything and is everything - we are not seperate from His body in any sense.

God is omniscient: He is all-knowing. Literally, the fabric of existence is comprised of his consciousness. Knowledge refers to cogniscence about existence... existence is an aspect of His cogniscence.

God is omnipotent: He is all powerfull - existence... exists, as an act of his will. Matter is a manifestation of His conciousness acting upon the energy that makes up His divine form (whatever that may be in its raw state).

This is a very basic outline of my current conception. It barely scrapes the surface really. In fact I may have to write a hub on this topic...

P.S. : I refer to God as 'He' only for tradition's sake... 'She' would be equally if not more valid.

1. rumanasaiyed profile image78
      rumanasaiyedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Dan,
      As per me the definition of God is
      " He is  One- the eternal, the absolute. He begets not, nor is He Begotten and there is none like unto Him"

2. manatita44 profile image85
      manatita44posted 5 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments ...

4. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

I don't seek to define Him/Her. To define God would be to assume that each person's personal God is the same to them, as my God is to me. It would assume that everyone believed in the same God, or Gods, as I do.

It would also assume that if they didn't, then they believed in a lesser, or false God.  None of this is true, and would be insulting and judgemental of me to think that only I could define God.

Therefore, I do not doubt the existence of Gods, for each person has their own personal relationship with their God/s of choice - that is right for them. And I do not seek to define God, because I have yet to find that there is only a finite number of Gods.  My version of God/s is not necessarily the right, or the only, and I think it makes us better as humans to acknowledge that no everyone's God is the same, and that that is perfectly alright.  What is not alright is forcing your definition onto others.

Define God in itself is a strange thing to try and do - God/s are undefinable.  That is what makes them God/s and not human - we are definable.

And that ends the Agnostic's waffle....thank you for allowing me to finally put it into words what I believe (and not all agnostics believe the same).

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

God is everywhere and everything. Most of all God is "Love." God is all around us. God is the air we breathe, the beauty in the world is God.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image81
      SwordofManticorEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Everything is made up of energy, so can it not be said that God is also energy?

6. SwordofManticorE profile image81
    SwordofManticorEposted 5 years ago

He is the perfect Father to all. His love for us all is unconditional. His forgiveness for us all is unfailing, and His mercy is absolute. He is nothing like He is taught as in the church, because He much, much better

7. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 5 years ago

God is our trust that whenever we get difficulty in life he will be there to help us and God is Love which makes us feel special whenever we feel alone.

8. livhappy profile image60
    livhappyposted 5 years ago

God is a word given to the unknown force that is bigger than us. If scientifically energy is the one thing that can not be created or destroyed and God is the one thing that has been around forever, then I believe God is the force that is energy. It is constantly enforced that we are all God and that he is within us...as is energy. I feel that God is the most commonly used word for the force that could never be reckoned with.

9. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Depends. If you're dyslexic you call him fido.

10. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

It's an impossible question. If there were any possible way to define God, there would be no need for faith. The closest I could come is God is something much bigger and greater than me. And that's all I need to know.

Closed to reply