What are some ways that American culture has abandoned and lost its sense of sel

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What are some ways that American culture has abandoned and lost its sense of self-responsibility

and have regressed to a culture where excuses and the transferring of blame is a commonplace occurrence?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8486824_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Frivolous lawsuits!
    A few years ago a teenage girl brought alcohol to tailgate party in a stadium parking lot for an event she did not have tickets to attend. On the way home she drove drunk killing herself and a friend. Her parents sued the stadium owner for not doing enough to prevent underage drinking in their parking lot.
    So lets get this straight; their daughter illegally gets her hands on some alcohol, goes to an event for which she doesn't have tickets for, parties with her friends, decides to drive home under the influence.... and when she dies it's not her fault?
    Why stop at blaming the stadium owner? Shouldn't they sue the automaker for not having automatic breathalyzers that prevent cars from starting if the driver is drunk?
    There was a time when we accepted the consequences of our own actions. Today when a tragedy happens like the Boston Marathon bombing we grieve for about two weeks and then lawyers start filing lawsuits blaming the city that was attacked. Isn't it the terrorist's fault? McDonald's was sued because their coffee was "too hot" after a woman was burned in a drive thru when she placed the cup between her legs. When I was growing up someone would have said, "That's what you get!"  People are looking to sue over everything! It's like winning the lotto with the exception of not having to pay any taxes!
    Today stupidity, ignorance, and being gullible can lead to riches!

1. Mr. Happy profile image84
      Mr. Happyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I fully agree with the law suits. So many people are quick on the "litigation" button. Easier to point the finger at someone else than to take responsibility for our actions ... Cheers!

2. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The problem runs far deeper than lawsuits, though this is a potent symptom. If you look at all the societal symptoms, you will find ego lurking in the darkness behind them.

3. jjackson786 profile image95
    jjackson786posted 4 years ago

We have allowed technology in all of its forms to govern our lives. We parent through computers and iPads and then medicate our children when they fail to respond to these tactics with what we deem is an appropriate manner. They watch television for more hours than they play outside, and then we wonder why they're failing to achieve academically or socially. But it isn't our faults- we just don't have the time or the energy to do things any differently.

For the most part, we eat poorly and refuse to exercise. We've forgotten what it's like to take an evening walk after dinner, play a sport into adulthood, or socialize with our peers. And we blame this on what? Our lack of time, energy, motivation, desire, and the list continues on and on until the original guilty party- us- is lost.

Humans transfer blame because it is easy. It doesn't feel good to accept responsibility for something that has turned out poorly. But we've grown so accustomed to pointing the finger at everyone and everything else that we've forgotten that we are really the only ones responsible for the quality of our own lives and the lives of the people we love.

Do I like what we've become, blame-shifters who force the responsibility of all aspects of themselves onto others? No. Do I think that this is the new and accepted norm? Absolutely.

1. lone77star profile image84

Beautiful! Jesus once said that you can tell a tree by the fruit it bears. He wasn't talking apples, but people. If you know the many faces of ego, then you know the enemy of humanity.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

I can't live believing that. I don't want to live thinking that.  Why? because everywhere around me I see people who are wealthy who received it from nothing and those who experience great loss who blame no one. But this question begs the response to the detriment of the latter. To say that Americans or humankind in general has lost a sense of self-responsibility is to misunderstand the human condition in my book. I simply refuse to view us as that.

1. lone77star profile image84

Not all humans, certainly. But the average is sliding precipitously. Lawsuits, hunger for instant gratification, dependence upon the state... all of these are at an all-time high.

Awareness is the first step toward positive change.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"Despite popular opinion, statistics show that America doesn't have a frivolous lawsuit problem. The Rand Institute for Civil Justice, one of the most respected think tanks in the..."
      http://www.tortreformtruth.com/fact-vs- … -lawsuits/

3. lone77star profile image84

Thanks, Billie. I learned something new.

Perhaps sense of moral decay is more perception than reality. We can thank the Corporate Party media for that. But there definitely is a greater need these days for instant gratification. 50-yr increase. Ego.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love your comment, LS.  How nice of you to say you "learned something new". I wish discourse on talk radio would be like that.  I think we'd have a lot less division and a whole lot more of understanding.

5. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

The ways are too numerous for my feeble mind.

The psychopathic, super-rich have think tanks to come up with myriad ways to divide us from each other and from ourselves.

The government has practiced institutionalized "generosity" to weaken us.

One thing I learned when I was in Scientology, many years ago, is that sympathy is destructive. It took me a long while to understand this. Sympathy is not compassion. Sympathy is ego trying to smother someone and to keep them from recovering.

One of the Rockefellers admitted to the late Aaron Russo that they have worked long and hard to destroy the family, to make the individual dependent upon the state. This was why they supported Women's Liberation. They also wanted to double the tax coffers by having all those women workers. Why would they care about taxes? Because your tax money goes to the private Federal Reserve System (Rockefeller, Rothschild and fellow cronies).

The culprit behind all of this is ego. Ego is selfish. Ego wants to suppress others to its own advantage.

But ego is complex. Ego is publicly generous, like the Pharisees. Ego is vulnerable and must be protected.

Corporate Party media has conditioned us to instant gratification in advertising and entertainment.

And like some have said, lawsuits. Ego is also blame. Ego wants to make others wrong and to help pump self up by being right. Ego will even continue to do the wrong thing, just to prove that it's right.

Ego is all about collective think and approval from the masses. Ego is Normalcy Bias in the face of overwhelming evidence that American government is corrupt to the core and that 9/11 was an inside job. To find out these truths requires work and ego is lazy. Ego doesn't like to change its mind or be proven that it was wrong.

And the psychopathic "elite" are playing our egos like a symphony.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

Well, hey - it's not my fault I was born a spoiled, irresponsible American!  I'll just sue The Fates for putting me here!  LOL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)