If God DIRECTLY told you to kill your first child and you knew it was Him, would

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (75 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

If God DIRECTLY told you to kill your first child and you knew it was Him, would you do it?

Re-phrasing a question that I asked previously that HP deemed substandard.  Most of the answers were judging the pastor, but that is not what I asked.  I asked HOW would you do it?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Mmmm, nope. Any "God" that would tell me to kill my child is not a "God" I would listen to or take orders from.

1. Phil Perez profile image60
      Phil Perezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You cannot say who God is when it's God. Just like you cannot dehumanize someone just because they're of a minority race. It's just an example, but if God is omniscient, then He knows better than you and thus, you MUST follow what HE says. He knows.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Last time I checked I still had free will, which means I would be free to tell the Big Voice From the Sky "Kill my kid? Get outta here. Not gonna happen."

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is Free Will killing someone possibly painlessly or you going to hell because you didn't do as you were told?  Abraham wouldhave thought about why he was told to kill his son too.

3. adagio4639 profile image60
    adagio4639posted 9 years ago

No God that I would accept as a God would ask such a thing.

1. Phil Perez profile image60
      Phil Perezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How do you know? You're subjectively categorizing God. That's illogical. God is an objective concept. Hypothetically IF God asked you, would you?You don't have to run away from the question just 'cause it's scary thinking about it. It's not happening

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I am positive that Abraham asked those same questions as he was told to kil his son, Isaak.

4. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 9 years ago

I guess if I actually did believe in the God of the bible, and if I believed that Abraham was the iconic and sacred figure that he was held to be, then, of course, I would do it. If I didn't, then, I would be some kind of hypocrite, pretending to have faith in something that I really don't.
    As to how?  Well I could think of much better ways than to put the child on an altar, and stab him to death. That's just inhumane and extremely evil.
               This question is sure to cause cognitive dissonance.

It does make people think.  There are many people that obey their clergy with no doubts...today.  That is what got me to ask this question.  It doesn't take much to get people to do what you want them to do in the church. Scary!

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

I don't think I have the faith Abraham did and even though God stopped him at the last minute he was still willing to offer his son as a sacrifice.  Personally I don't think I would be able to do it because I already lost my youngest child who is in heaven with Jesus.  I just don't think I can handle another loss.

I am sorry for your lose, but when one dies and it is in the eyes of God, then they should be in a better place with God....correct?  If God gave them to you then he must have wanted them back for a reason, true?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes and I did  use that loss to help other mothers who lost their children.

As you have helped others with their loss it might have been God's reason for Abraham to put his son on the alter.  We don't know why sonme thigs re as they are.  That is why I think it is not right to judge others lives, loves and actions.

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree. And God already knew Abraham's heart he knew that he would offer his son.

6. profile image55
    Michael Milecposted 9 years ago

My God speaks wisely. He will never tell me directly to kill my son. In a friendly conversation He might be testing my trust in him and then having good reason for " sacrificial offering "  similar  as he told to Abraham; so what ?! - it would then become a historical event an the rest of the world would be advised of the Creators dealings.

7. aethelthryth profile image87
    aethelthrythposted 9 years ago

Yep.  The One Who made me and my son and everything else has a right to ask or do anything He wants.  Besides, from everything I've seen and known in my life, He is good, and so even something that seems evil, if He is doing it, is good in spite of how it looks to me at the time.  I have seen many times in my life that what seemed bad at the time, God used for good.  I see God is wiser and better than my best (and very changeable) inclinations.
    Of course I would have to know EXTREMELY clearly that it was God saying so, but obviously Abraham did.  And Abraham trusted not only that God was good, but that God would keep His promise and therefore had some plan he couldn't see, because God had already told Abraham he would have uncountable descendants through Isaac.  Not going to happen through a dead son!
    And in fact God did NOT let Abraham go through with sacrificing his son.  However, God Himself did sacrifice His OWN Son, in what seemed the most evil thing in human history, to actually accomplish the best thing in human history, to bring a whole bunch of undeserving sons and daughters back to His family.

I agree and others did not pick up on that either that Abraham trusted the God that he knew and did so witout hesitation.  It was evil to do so from God in the first place.  He has tested even the first 2 creation of his.  Make you think.

8. CreeViking profile image85
    CreeVikingposted 9 years ago

not a chance. why would an omnipotent being need me to do his killing for him?

Oh that would be putting a human ideal on the God who knows everything..even your first thought and your last one and if you obey him with blind faith or not.

9. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

No! I would change my meds and go back to sleep. smile
    There is no way to "know" it was God. For all they know it could be the "Devil" pretending to be God.
    Interestingly there have been people who have committed crimes and blamed it on God or the Devil. Whole cities were destroyed.
    That defense doesn't work the way it use to.smile
    If someone saw you holding a knife to your child's throat today you'd be locked up and your child placed in child protective services.
    Anyone who claims "God told them to kill anyone" is considered crazy. Maybe they were back then as well.
    Isn't one of the 10 commandments "Thy shall not kill"?
    I don't recall seeing asterisks or exceptions listed.

God made the devil to do his bidding and if Gos was the Devil then what?  There are wasys to kill someone that is painless.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God said: "Thy shall not kill."
      I guess I choose to believe he's not a "flip flopper" when it comes to (his) "word". One man's opinion!smile

10. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Yes, I would. Why not? God has His reasons for commanding us to do things that we don't understand why? God is the Boss.

Good answer.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79

I imagine you'd be singing a different tune while sitting on death row for murder. No sane jury is going to accept the "God told me to do it defense".

Where has all this judging others and the pastor and God come from.  I never said anything about that and yet ppl are doing that here.

4. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good Grief!....word55.  I cannot express strongly enough how delighted, relieved and blessed I feel that I am not your first born.  Debra...."good answer?"  I am sad that you have finally gone off the deep end.  Do YOU have children?

5. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, seriously... who says "why not?" when talking about killing their child? Good grief is right.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Paula, this wasn't about children, it was about how crazy ppl are that are so religious that they would do anything they were told. His answer proved it.

7. dashingscorpio profile image79

Debra I have not judged anyone. I simply pointed out if someone got arrested for killing their child and they told the court they were following God's order at the time they would go to prison. Do you disagree with that?

8. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a "good answer" if you believe in the Abrahamic god. But the best answer should be that this "god" is mythological and no one should be killing people at all. This god says to kill, then says, don't kill. Well which is it??

9. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Dash, I do agree with that.  That was not in this question to be the judge.  U did judge though as in what would happen in today's society.  Lela is correct 2 in that the Bible God is confusing.

10. davidlivermore profile image92
      davidlivermoreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your God would do that then he is no God of mine.

11. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I never said that he was my God or Your God.  He was Abraham's God.  If you go to church and you believe in God and they tell you these things, then that God that told Abraham to do that IS your God.

11. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't step on an ant if he asked me to. He didn't build me to live on my knees.

12. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Not a friggin' chance. Even if I believed in God, I wouldn't kill my child on the chance that I was wrong and was mentally ill rather than God talking to me himself. There is nothing in this world (or out of it) that could convince me to hurt my kid and I'm honestly appalled by those who would.

I can't imagine anything more painful than harming your own child, why would I want to spend eternity with a God that decided to put me through that? No thanks, I'll enjoy my life on Earth knowing that I did everything to protect my children and give them the best life possible. This life is something that we know we have, without any doubt, and to take it away from someone who loves and trusts you unconditionally is the absolute most criminal and evil thing I can imagine.

I'm seriously disturbed.

Wow, so personal.  So you do not believe in God's command then, I am assuming and that your way is better?

2. Aime F profile image70

Yes. Not killing my child (or anyone else's child, for that matter) IS better than listening to something in your head that may or may not be real. I kind of fear for other people's kids after reading this.

Who said that God was in your head?  Where is God and do you know better than he?  Just asking and not being personal.  This was hypothetical.

4. Aime F profile image70

I suppose I don't see how anyone could be 100% certain that God was talking to them rather than having a hallucination. Mentally ill people hear "God" talking to them all the time.

5. fpherj48 profile image59

I'm seriously having a very hard time accepting that I'm REALLY reading this hogwash & not having an outrageous nightmare.This is the single most ludicrous HYPOTHETICAL question I have ever seen.Oh Debra, so sorry You have lost me as a follower.

OMG Paula.  You fell into the trap of not looking at things from all sides and being judgemental too.  I never would have thought!  U know what they say, If u lose a friend, then you never really had them to begin with.

7. fpherj48 profile image59

The Q&A is NOT FOR SETTING "TRAPS" FOR FELLOW HUBBERS!! It's not for playing games.How dare you attempt to insult the intelligence of your readers or set people up w/ a stupid game! Now the cover-up? I'm not buying it.  Go play with others!

8. Lady Guinevere profile image67

It wasn't intended to be a trap or play game.  It was to get people to THINK, of which you didn't either.  So be it.  If u don't like it leave.  It doesn't bother me 1 bit.

9. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep...the cognitive dissonance is setting in, and its causing mental stress. Its hard for a mind to hold two opposing views at the same time without this mental stress. New information must be neutralized to assuage the dissonance.

13. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 9 years ago

It depends. If we look at a biblical example:

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac stemmed from an unflinching conviction that God was faithful to keep his promises. A faith that believed in Gods power over death, even to the raising up of the son of promise (Hebrews 11:19).
    It is a test he likely would have failed if there was no promise, or if he failed to believe the promise. But Abraham had faith, and it was attributed to him as righteousness. No other man but Abraham can claim such a promise in defence of his actions, therefore no comparison exists to justify such actions since.

By way of analogy: Imagine you had a son in whose body tissue chemistry existed a cure for a virus that was killing millions of people. However, to synthesis such a cure required the body of your son be sacrificed. Of course, no one expects you to willingly offer up your son under such a condition. However, a highly respected doctor tells you that he has developed a process by which your son can be brought back to life shortly after the procedure. You trust him, your son is sacrificed, and then brought back to life. Has any crime been committed?

Good analogy.  Let's see if anyone else picks it up.

2. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your analogy provides a greater good for the whole of humanity to be achieved with no real loss. Provided it was painless, no no real crime was committed.

Having god tell you to randomly off your child serves...what purpose exactly?

Link, why would it have to be random.  The purpose was to save the rest of the world.

4. Link10103 profile image60

In the form of the analogy it would yes.

In the form of your question though, its completely random.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

How's that, Link?

6. Link10103 profile image60

The analogy provided a greater good for all to be achieved.
      Your question simply asks if one would do it or not, with no benefit and no guarantee you would be stopped/the child would be revived. Just an out of the blue request to kill your kid

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Link, I did not ask that we judge God or the Pastor, and I did ask How would you do it, something that you missed. I took it from the standpoint of what Abraham would have done and thought when he was told to make his son a burnt offering.

8. dashingscorpio profile image79

It's my understanding that God knows what is in your heart and he (knows) every choice you're going to make from the time you are born. That would mean it's impossible to surprise God. There's no reason to "test" anyone when you know them.

9. Link10103 profile image60

I didn't miss anything, I'm responding to the topical question and this analogy. How one would kill their kid if asked by god is irrelevant compared to IF they would

If I read it right, Abraham was ready to burn Isaac before god made him the promise

14. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 9 years ago

No, simply no way in...well you know where.

So you choose to go against God's command?

15. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12345121_f260.jpg

I have seen references to Abraham here but the one thing no one has mentioned here is that God told Abraham not just to murder Issac but to sacrifice him on the alter as a burnt offering. "Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.” Later Issac asks Abraham “The fire and wood are here,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” And the two of them went on together.

Abraham knew in his heart God would not let him kill Isaac, because Abraham knew God, Abraham knew from experience he could trust God, and Abraham knew that God had promised him offspring through Isaac, so this gave him reason to believe that God did not intend for Isaac to die permanently. God's command to Abraham was not wrong, for God has the right to take human life and therefore had the right to command Isaac's death. Abraham had known God for many years prior to this, so he knew God's character and knew that God had the right to give this command. Had Abraham initiated the sacrifice or followed an order not authorized by God, then his act would have been wrong.

So to answer the question "If God DIRECTLY told you to kill your first child and you knew it was Him, would you do it?" you really need to understand there is more to "you knew it was him". How you know it was him and knowing exactly who "Him" is is necessary, otherwise this question can mean different things to different people. If you are referencing the Biblical account of Abraham and Isaac in your answer it is clear God was not simply ordering a believer to kill his son for no reason and would never do that.

Why then would God command this? The point was for Abraham to demonstrate that he trusted God completely and placed him above all else, even his own son. Though God of course already knew that Abraham had faith in him, it was necessary for Abraham to prove it through action. "His faith was made complete by what he did" (James 2:21-23). Because of his actions, not only God but Abraham, his family and future generations knew that Abraham trusted God.

So, no one need ever wonder if God would tell them to kill their own child. Abraham and his account is history, it will not be replayed to satisfy a Hub Page Q&A, God's Son has come and was sacrificed for our sins, God's purpose has been fulfilled!

1. fpherj48 profile image59

tsad..I certainly HOPE Debra appreciates your explicit explanation re: Abraham. If she doesn't she SHOULD! Other than those who have said "NO WAY!" can thank themselves for WHY Christians are considered looney tunes. I'm leaving. Debra plays games.

Paul, read what I wrote on Word55 post and why I chose it to be the best answer.  Paula you surprise me.

3. fpherj48 profile image59

Debra.Be surprised all you want I'm absolutely horrified. Readers are not required to read minds! You admit to playing with people's minds & motives.U chose word55 Best Answer w/"GOOD Answer!" Ur other comments are similar. NOW U try to back out?

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Where did I say that I play with peoples minds. Quote Me!

5. Link10103 profile image60

You didn't seem to reprimand those that said they would kill their kids if asked by god until Paula said something about it, then suddenly its like you were trying to expose those people.

Sorta leads one to think you are doing mind games.

u r the one playing those games.  If GOD told u to do something then why refute it since he knows everything?  Hows that playing mind games with anyone?  I guess u don't believe God to be the higher being.  No games, just facts..

7. Link10103 profile image60

No, I don't, whether it be your god or any others. Calm down with the assertions.

The whole logic behind the question is insane. Aside from the fact that he already knows, why does god not only need to confirm it but require help to kill the child?

16. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

The point is that if you believe in this god and choose to be his devotee, you MUST do what he says!
    Even if you god tells you to do unthinkable things, if you want to "please god", (and get your fantasy reward) you must obey!
    That is the relationship of a slave/master! The slave MUST obey!
    If you want to question your god, you are doubting him/her/it. Therefore, you MUST obey.
    If your god wants you to worship him for eternity, you MUST obey!
    So, quit questioning his existence and go ahead and blindly follow your master and be sure to keep us atheists informed about your psychotic master! After all, he has commanded you to "spread his word to the world".
    What size coffins will you be needing for all those children you will be killing? I should go into the funeral business!

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Lela..I'm outta here. IMHO, this is not about believers or atheists. I see selfish motives on Debra's part. Asking this explosive question, fishing for HER OWN specific answer. I'm in utter shock & disgust. Someone let the patients out again!!

u r right Lela, and this has gotten some to think about what they do and some to be shocked that I would even ask such a question.  Everyone Asks questions for answers.  Too funny!

3. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some people would rather stick their head in the sand (or bible) than to face up to unpleasant questions like you and I ask.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67

u know Lela others have aksed similar questions but you and I always get the flack. This was right out of the Bible. Knee jerk reactions. u cn kill a persns spirit with simple words as the.try to do to us for asking Questions of their book.

5. aethelthryth profile image87
      aethelthrythposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Arguing with the Creator is like arguing with gravity that falling off a cliff shouldn't hurt - you can argue, but you aren't going to win!  You don't invent the god you like; you follow the God Who invented you, or take the consequences.

17. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Usually when someone asks me a conditional question that is irrelevant to the reality, it is hard to answer precisely if not actually in the situation therefore, my answer can be just as improbable... read more

18. profile image0
    SirDentposted 9 years ago

I know a best answer has already been chosen but I still have something to say.  To sacrifice something does not necessarily mean to kill it.  It means to give it up.  God told Abraham, "Sacrifice your only son and offer him up as a burnt offering to me."  It says nothing about killing the child. 

Abraham also told Isaac, "God will provide Himself a lamb for a sacrifice."  That lamb was Jesus Christ, not the RAM that so many think it was.

I also have to add, I see where many have been accused of judging.  I see it all the time it seems but those same people who accuse others, do the very same thing.  They judge others whom they say are judgmental.  I also saw that some were called crazy in the comments section here. 

John 11:35  Jesus wept.

@Paula.  I really don't know you but I commend you for your stance.  At least you have integrity.  Thank you.

A burnt offering is to cook something until it is charred dead and unedible.  Who said anything about Jesus?  What does ur scripture have to do with my question..nothing!  You are barking up the wrong tree here.  Thx for speaking ur miind and others2

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)