jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we ask questions that nobody can ever answer?

1. choneycutt profile image77
    choneycuttposted 2 years ago

Why do we ask questions that nobody can ever answer?

Questions such as: Is there a God?  What is justice?  Why is there suffering?

2. Austinstar profile image89
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

If you don't ask the "unanswerable" questions, you will never increase your knowledge about things that are seemingly incomprehensible.
    Asking 'why' or for an opinion about something is a way to explore several theories and yes, even guesses about our universe. If we don't ask, we will never know.

3. Oztinato profile image71
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Because it relates directly to the very real existential paradoxes that exist. Scientists have recently begun to deny there are any existential questions or "whys" but the reality is these "whys" have propelled all of human culture via religion.

4. Merrin LeClair profile image60
    Merrin LeClairposted 2 years ago

Because we still want an answer, whether or not someone can give one to us.

Those kinds of questions might not have logical answers, but they illicit different emotional/theoretical/personal responses from different people. I think its human nature to want to share those feelings and thoughts with others, probably in order to help figure out our own thoughts.

It's almost as though you are asking why is there religion? Or why is there philosophy? I think the answer is just because we are extremely curious creatures, who's entire system of life and community is based off of the sharing of ideas, feelings, and ideologies.

5. Lucid Psyche profile image60
    Lucid Psycheposted 2 years ago

Are you certain that no one can ever answer the questions you pose? Do those questions have answers? If they do then they can potentially be answered from some level of awareness / consciousness.
    Yours is a good question. For me it raises the question, "Is there an ultimate truth?" One of my fundamental assumptions is that there is a fundamental truth or ultimate reality whether I can be completely aware of it or not.
    Scientists are searching for a Grand Unified Theory.You might like Tom Campbell's videos on YouTube.

6. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 2 years ago

I think it's because no matter the answer (assuming it's not based on proof) we enjoy the discussion even if in disagreement. Perhaps we even enjoy that as well. The confrontation and challenge of seeing if we can convince others to lean the same way we do even though we can't truly say ourselves. Only that we believe. Agree, disagree, or simply discuss it to death, we all draw one thing from it...we are not alone in our thoughts.