jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (124 posts)

Christian Forums

1. profile image60
    exorterposted 7 years ago

When my brother Jerami told me about Hub Pages I thought this would be a great place for believers of God to debate their beliefs, but I was wrong. The forums end up off subject and a place for every one to start cutting, stabbing each other. most end up downing others of different faiths. as christians we are not to put any one down. We are to be nice to every one, but do we even know how to do that anymore? I believe this would be a good Hub. How about feeding more thoughts about this.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Odd. You are here specifically to spread your irrational belief system - no other reason - as far as I can tell from your hubs and this comment.

Exactly what made you think a public website which deals with just about every subject know to google adsense would be a great place to spread your irrational belief system?

1. profile image60
        exorterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

just one reply for you,
        get behind me satan

1. earnestshub profile image89
          earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image60

So - not prepared to answer that question then? Just call me names instead?

How productive. Or - do you think - like your brother - that the world will end soon so it is not worth doing anything becoz it sed so in the Babble?

1. Jerami profile image73
            Jeramiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't "think" that I ever said that the world will end soon.  If I did it wasn't intentional.

To say that prophesy is just about finished being fulfilled is one thing,  I try to not to interpret exactly how these future prophesy should be interpreted.

They are easier to recognize after their fulfillment.
            "IF"  people were inclined to investigate that prospective,

The Hebrews had their mind set as to what was to happen upon the arrival of their messiah.   The were wrong.

Christians are wrong concerning their understanding of the "Second Coming" and the "Rapture" for the same reasons as the Hebrews were wrong concerning the first coming.

Their eyes had been blinded, and they do not believe the simply stated words of Jesus.

"Verily I say unto you, THIS generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled".
               "Some of them standing here shall not taste of death till they have seen the son of man coming in the clouds sitting at the right hand of power"
               We should just leave these words alone and NOT interpret them to mean something that they don't.
               Interpreting these words HAS turned the meanings of scripture upside down.  And opened the doorway for the "Beast" as described in Rev. 13 to prosper for 42 prophetic months.

That 42 months is almost over.  Will that be the end of the world??  I don't know.  Will things be changing drasticly?
               Yes

Sorry - what does this mean in that case?

"The sand is washing out from under your feet, You know that your time is short.  Deny it all that you will, that won't stop the rain."

You are right - things have already changed in fact. How about that? - things change - what a fantastic revelation. Only a genuine invisible super daddy could have made that prediction.

And guess what? - we have yet another religious war looming. This sort of exact prophesy could only have been made by an invisible super being. Amazing.

Oh - and how about that? You have managed to cobble together a bunch of nonsense to satisfy your need to have prophecy retroactively "fulfilled" in order to justify your religious beliefs.

No matter the generation spoken of when this were written has already passed years ago. I am certain that "generation" can be interpreted to mean something else than what it actually says - right? As can "death" "son of man" and everything else in it.

The "beast" of which you speak has been ruling since man first walked upright and considered himself above the rest of the animal kingdom. It has many faces - and you are wearing one of them. wink

Yes - I see interpreting future prophecies is somewhat more difficult than finding historical events that could be possible adjusted to fit in hindsight.

Which rather makes it completely and utterly useless - doesn't it?

Myself? - I see exactly what changes are coming - I have a very good idea when they will occur and I am planning accordingly. I just hope it is not as bad as I suspect it is going to be. 

In the meantime I try and educate people that their religious beliefs are part of the problem, along with allowing themselves to be distracted away from learning what is actually going on in favor of arguing over prophecies any idiot with half a brain and a basic understanding of human psychology could make.

I was you - I would be considering moving to Northern Colorado.wink

Mark Knowles   wrote     
                "...prophecies any idiot with half a brain and a basic understanding of human psychology could make"
                =====================================   And yet these were written 1900 years ago and no one took them seriously!

But I agree with you that "Religion"  (Not God) has led us down this path and humanity followed blindly.

Mark Knowles  wrote   And guess what? - we have yet another religious war looming. This sort of exact prophesy could only have been made by an invisible super being. Amazing.
                =========    I know that you didn't mean it the way it sounds but; ... Yes it is Amazing,

And you are right.  There is another religious war on the Horizon ...  But there isn't anyplace on the earth to hide to get away from it.

And there isn't anything you or I can do to stop it.
                It has been rolling down hill for too long, has gained too much momentum, and there isn't enough time left.

I'm angry too.   Lets go beat somebody up..

It was sarcasm, Jerami - I don't need a 2000 year old book to tell me a belief in a god is guaranteed to cause a fight. And that is by no means the only problem looming.

How about we  persuade a few people to drop their religious convictions and get along with each other instead? Because they are never going to do so all the time religion and nationalism are used to stir up trouble.

It wasn't intended as sarcasm, Truth often sounds that way though.   

You are right though, Religions of the earth are going to destroy it for everyone.  If The leaders of the world cain't stop it.  You and I are not going to either.

We can't even end the hate in our own itty bitty part of the world.  We can try  But we first gotta get rid of the hate within ourselves first. 
                      And I'm afraid that it is too late for any solution to grow out of that fast enough to stop the ball that has been rolling down hill or so long.

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59
      stilljustwonderinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Why is it?  You know why.  Didn't the Bible say it would be this way?  They are fullfilling prophecy.  " Some"  have read the script and claimed their part.
      Scoffers, mockers, haters of the word.  They can't just let you enjoy your faith.  They want to bring ya down.  You know better.  Ya won't let them do it.
      Love ya bro

2. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

We ALL need to be nice.   I don't need to be Christian, I don't need to believe in any creator or gods, I just need to be a decent human being. 

Many non-religious people identify as Humanists and the Humanist Manifesto (which you can find at http://www.americanhumanist.org/Who_We_ … anifesto_I and other places) nicely expresses our beliefs.

1. profile image60

but when believers of God try to get on a forum to discuss thier beliefs in God there is always people jumping in trying to get the subject changed or start talking how they are wrong. I do agree with you the world would be a better place if we all, no matter what they believe would be nice and respect other's beliefs

1. profile image60

If believers are discussing their belief in God, why are others jumping in to tell them of their non belief, They are discussing their own beliefs in their God

Good mornig ..exorter   

HP is a a good place to hear different opinions and belief systems.

Unfortunately there are a few that wished to drownd out all others; other than their own.

2. Jane Bovary profile image84
          Jane Bovaryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

exorter, this question seems to pop up alot....not just here but everywhere there is a 'discussion' forum that involves religion. Why do sceptics argue with believers..as though they had no business doing it?  Well I think American journalist HL  Mencken answered it well:

'True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his beliefs as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge.'

So..in other words, why not?

HL Mencken  made a very eloquent statement. 

And as you say,  Why not?
              No offense  intended,  But May I ask ?
               There are no laws against pulling wings off of butterflies, or focusing sunlight through a magnifying glass to turn little ants into a puff of smoke..   And I ask, 
            Why would a person do that?    and why shouldn't he?

So - here you are spreading your hate mongering belief system that causes nothing but fights - as we can see by reading any history book - or even these forums - which are littered with fights amongst believers of different cults.

Why?

When you know full well it will cause fights and ill will.

Why do you do it?

2. Jane Bovary profile image84
              Jane Bovaryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jerami, I think your analogy is a bit dodgy... we're talking ideas here ...but if you're asking me why someone would want to challenge a religious belief, one  reason might be that the challenger sees a falsehood, a contradiction, an outrageous claim or a gaping logical hole that deserves to be exposed.

Maybe part of the sensitivity believers feel about being challenged is that for a long time religion has had a free pass from direct confrontational criticism..there's been this idea that spiritual beliefs should be quietly 'respected' and the toes of it's ideology shouldn't be troddon on. Yet..religion is really just a set of  ideas....shouldn't all ideas be open to challenge?

Unlike gratuitously pulling the wings off a butterfly, being concerned about whether an idea is flawed or not actually serves a purpose...it's supposed to get us closer to truth.

I concur with your statement as posted above.....  How ever a 24-7, 360 day a year filibuster preventing any free speach, isn't any more appropriate than 1600 years of religious tyranny.

To become as bad or worse than the enemy in order to defeat it should not in any sense be considered to be a victory.

1. Pcunix profile image88
                  Pcunixposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nobody here is preventing you from SAYING anything.  We just aren't let you go unchallanged.

3. Pcunix profile image88

You equate telling you the truth about your silly religious beliefs to torturing butterflies?????

NO  I am equating your concept of truth to be equal to everyone else's.

I equate Marks wisdom to be equal to everyone else's. 

No where near the position of grandeur that he thinks that it deserves.

I am growing weary of talking to a brick wall that has no ears.

1. Greek One profile image79
                  Greek Oneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

just to play devil's advocate here.. how many brick walls DO have ears??

I hear and understand you Jerami.

I disagree with you. I know - hard concept to grasp. I thoink your treligion is a bad thing. It causes arguments and fights and wars and hatred.

Any religion - not just yours (which you do not have). lol

How long before people start shooting each other over this edifice to the Invisible Super Being that is not the same as the Christian Invisible Super Daddy near the Twin Tower wreckage in New York?

And you are easing the tensions "HOW"
                       By increasing the ill over here, far away from where the real battle is going on.
                      The three major religions "are" bringing the leaders of the earth to the brink of destruction.  And you are doing what??  You should be proud!

Time well spent ???????  Really ?

If you were not so closed minded I could show you where prophesy was fulfilled in the first century. Seven seals.
                      Prophesy (7 trumpets) was fulfilled in the 6Th and 7Th century.
                      And the first vial was opened with the outbreak of the bubonic plague.  The sixth vial was poured out with WW1.

You subconsciously know this and are Pi--ed off at the world.
                    That is understandable. You can be angry with God, But you are doing nothing by attacking the helpless.

Go ahead... kick up a lot of sand, shake your fist, and curse God.

The sand is washing out from under your feet, You know that your time is short.  Deny it all that you will, that won't stop the rain.

2. h.a.borcich profile image59
                    h.a.borcichposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Again, I wonder how the "nonbelievers" active on hubpages can walk through the religious section of a book store without going into a tirade about what they don't believe in.
                    The same rights nonbelievers have to voice their opinion also grants a believers right to voice their opinion.
                    Hate is still hate, being rude is still being rude.

3. Pcunix profile image88

And we grow weary of your obvious religous agenda.  Why don't you go to some Christian forum that only lets believers post?  Why are you here?  Are you spreading Invisible Pal's word? Trying to convert the heathens?

2. Greek One profile image79

Or to sum up, Pcunix and Mark Knowles are very very bad men!

1. Pcunix profile image88

Well, I don't know about Mark, but I certainly must be.

Let's see, what evil things have I done so far today?

Ummm... none.

I'll be back later.  Got some evil that needs doing.

see what I mean!

His procrastination is evil!

I admit it. I did not do whatever it is god sed I was s'posed to today.

* hangs his head in mock shame *

INCLUDING but not limited to sending me my four f&^&%& dollars!

I sent the damn four dollars last week. If it did not get there, that is the will of Allah. wink

you see! you atheists are always passing the buck...

when you should be SENDING the (4) buck(s)

3. Daniel Carter profile image89
              Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol
              I do feel safer knowing they are the only two.

This $4 thing sounds like you're arguing who's gonna pay for the pizza delivery.
              I just had that  trouble a week or so ago. Dine in is better anyway.

Get him to send Euros. You'll be worth more if you do.

I am trying to be a fisher of men, but Mark is proving to be a cheap ass shark!

Not only will he not mentor me, he refuses to send me any $$ in reply to my threat to baptise him..

He keeps putting me off and claims that 'the cheque is in the mail'.

I feel like a teenager out on the 50th date with his girlfriend and I haven't even gotten so much as a #@%@%^@^ from her because she always has a 'head ache"

get on the pill and help me out here Mark!

3. Jeff Berndt profile image88
            Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jane, thanks for that H.L. Mencken quote. Very well put.

2. Pcunix profile image88

Well, I'm sorry:  you ARE wrong.

I understand you need this.  I understand it comforts you.  But it is nonsense and you can't expect people not to tell you that.

1. profile image60

not expecting you to tell us anything, just wanting to have discussions with fellow believers

3. Jeff Berndt profile image88
    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago

There are plenty of places on the web folks can visit if they only want to talk to like-minded people.

Hub pages if full of folks of all kinds of different religion and philosophies (or lack thereof). Since it's a public* place, anything we say here is going to be open for public scrutiny and public reply. That's part of what being public is. I recommend just not feeding the trolls.

*public in the sense that everyone is welcome and may stay as long as they abide by the HubPages ToS.

1. profile image60

Jeff,  us not feeding the trolls,  in other words you are entitled to your opinion, but the rest of us should keep our opinion to ourselves and not discuss them here in the hubs

1. Jeff Berndt profile image88

No, that's not what I said. You have the right to post what you want. So does everyone else. If someone is baiting you, I recommend ignoring them and going on with your conversation as if they hadn't posted. Someone else might engage with them, but you don't need to if you don't want to. That's another part of what an online forum is: you don't have to reply to posts that you don't think are worth your time.

Let's try not to put words in other people's mouths, shall we?

4. Beelzedad profile image57
    Beelzedadposted 7 years ago

Here is a place in which non-believers will be banned for posing their views, perhaps this is what you're looking for:

http://www.christianforums.com/

smile

1. profile image60

sounds like you have a problem with us sharing our beliefs with each other, I do not recall telling anyone they have to believe

1. Beelzedad profile image57
        Beelzedadposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are free to share your beliefs, however if you wish not to be challenged, then this site is not the place to be, that's why I suggested that Christian site, you will not be challenged by non-believers there. smile

1. profile image60

I do not feel challenged here, for the truth is the truth, no matter what others say, I will check out the other christian site, I may learn something there

Being challenged, you'll learn a whole lot more here then there.smile

1. BDazzler profile image81
              BDazzlerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I hate to agree with Beelzedad on anything...

But ...  I do agree with him this ... If you browse and stick around it does give you an opportunity to see what people who do not have your background, formal education, religious instruction, family and community background etc. are thinking.

In other words, this place is totally "other" ... and if my faith cannot stand up to "other" including the smug jibes and snickers up the sleeve,  then it's really not faith.  It's just trying to be right.  That's why I stay.

Yes, there are things to learn on Christian forums from other Christians.  And if that's what you want, I also agree with him that going elsewhere would be better for you.

If however, you are up to having your faith continually challenged and ridiculed, then this is the place.  I would recommend growing a bit of a thick skin, though.

I'm flattered... I think.  wink

1. srwnson profile image60
                  srwnsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree also, perhaps having our faith challenged strengthens us in a way. Before I started driving a big truck, I was prone to road-rage. Having spent so much time on the road now, I have tempered myself so that gestures and comments of other drivers affect me less and I focus on my job.

Notice that says more about the fact that you were dealing with the problem yourself and have produced the results you were looking for, most likely making sure the problem does not resurface again. Kudos, sir! smile

2. profile image60

beelzedad. I checked out the other Christian site, was not impressed

I could have told you that, too. But, it was certainly a place where your beliefs in Christianity wouldn't be challenged like they are here.

Stay here then and join the discussions if you don't mind your beliefs being challenged. smile

Mutual gratification clubs ain't very satisfying.

Give me a good knock down drag out any day. 

Just kidding..   It is a good thing to hear "sumtin" new once in a while though. 

It's all that name calling that makes me cry and loose sleep at night. I could do with out that.

2. Jerami profile image73

I think I'll go back and get that address.   Maybe they will like to hear about my preterits/historicist views.

Would that be worse over there than it is here?

5. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago

It is when the non-believers put forward their arguments that you realize how there are people who would stop at nothing in order to put down the faithful. It sort of  makes your belief stronger.

They are fundamentally nice people with a little less understanding in these matters and are intolerant. You must love them too

1. profile image60

you must love them, but I do not have to like their ways

They are attempting to put barriers in front of ya. Just learn how to jump them like hurdles, cause at the end of the race we might want to jump across something wide.

6. Jerami profile image73
    Jeramiposted 7 years ago

Jerami wrote:
    HL Mencken  made a very eloquent statement. 

And as you say,  Why not?
      No offense  intended,  But May I ask ?
       There are no laws against pulling wings off of butterflies, or focusing sunlight through a magnifying glass to turn little ants into a puff of smoke..   And I ask, 
    Why would a person do that?    and why shouldn't he?
    =================================
    Mark Knowles  wrote 
    So - here you are spreading your hate mongering belief system that causes nothing but fights - as we can see by reading any history book - or even these forums - which are littered with fights amongst believers of different cults.
    ====================
        What exactly do you find in my above statement to prompt such an unwarranted HATE attack ? 
      You sir appear to be the HATE  Monger.

When you saw my name ....  you just pulled one of your hate monger, one size fits all statements and threw it at me.

Before you even read my post, you already had your over used, tired old assault statement flying in my direction.

Ya missed.   You really should consider finding some new material.  You have been throwing this about for years.

Hate mongers should keep their arsenal up to date.

Simple - your belief system promotes hatred and causes conflicts.

You are spreading it and basically saying that anyone who speaks against it is "pulling the wings off butterflies" or "tyring to drown others out."

So - I ask you once again.

When you know full well your religion causes conflicts, wars, ill will and promotes hatred - why are you spreading it and defending it?

You do  not understand that religion is not mine. It does not belong to me nor do I belong to it.

This seems to be a concept that you do not grasp.

You are too busy casting everyone that does not agree with you into a very small stereotype.  Your way of dehumanizing them before you pull their wings off. Or attempt to make them disappear in a puff of smoke.

No - I am a realist - and honest. I am not hiding behind "it is not my religion," or "I didn't say it - god did." I know you happily pretend your religion never caused a fight. lol

If you like - I will rephrase it so you may be able to understand it better as you are obviously incapable of reading any history books or being honest with yourself:

When you know full well the ridiculous belief in a god causes conflicts, wars, ill will and promotes hatred - why are you spreading it and defending it?

You. You personally. No excuses. You know your belief - yours - causes arguments and fights. You.

2. profile image60

Mark, you just opened my eyes, Hitler must have been a christian, at lest that must be your feelings about him

Hitler was a self-professed Christian - yes.

Same as you are. wink

1. profile image60

sounds like your judging

Sounds more like Mark is stating a fact. Hitler was a self professed christian. smile

1. profile image60

just because some says they are Christian , even if they go to church every day does not mean they are, you tell a Christian by their actions

Ha bud  wasup

7. Jerami profile image73
    Jeramiposted 7 years ago

All that "I Am Preaching" to you about is that Hate Is Hate it don't matter what you are hateing. You are as bad as it is.

That is the only thing that I've been trying to convince "YOU" of.  And If you are too closd minded, being caught up in your own "BRAND" of selfrighteousness, to see that

OH Well.  Keep spreading your hate.

8. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 7 years ago

The problem with all these atheists and Godless folk is not that they keep interfering in Christian forums with their rude remarks and lack of respect...

The real issue is that none of their avatars are attractive to look at (from a heterosexual male's perspective, at least).

If I must be subjected to such blasphemies from these future occupants of Hell, then AT LEAST I should be able to look at a nice image whilst being so subjected.

Sorry Greek. I'd like to help out, but me in drag is not a pretty sight! smile

got any heretic female friends then?

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey... Mark was voted Mr. Universe in 1998. How can you say such thing?!

9. earnestshub profile image89
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

As long as you insist god dunnit all there will be people who ask awkward questions like "Which god would that be"?

"Who made this god again"? Is that the same benevolent god who got pi**ed one day and wiped out mankind"?

"Would this be the god who decides to kill all those who don't understand and interpret the "word"?
    "Would this be the no-show sky fairy with the psychotic killing streak"?
    You know, the sort of questions a sane person might ask after studying the "good book". smile

Don't all answer at once! lol

1. Jeff Berndt profile image88

None of those questions are at all impertinent to anyone who is interested in an honest examination of their faith.

10. Chinajackie profile image56
    Chinajackieposted 7 years ago

hello my friend, welcome to learn Chinese Christian culture, he he..

11. wilmiers77 profile image59
    wilmiers77posted 7 years ago

I am legalistic for religion, but the faith in Jesus is saving in all respects.

1. srwnson profile image60
      srwnsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree.

12. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

Sign-off.

13. Jerami profile image73
    Jeramiposted 7 years ago

I think that both o yaul are just complainers.

On one thread ...  Why is God letting little children die from cancer ?   Why are so many people dieing in wars?
    ===================================
      another thread   why is there not enough food to keep the all those people from starving
    ==============================
    if God were to fix these problems ??..  in a couple of years you would be saying ...  why did God make such a small planet there is no place to lay down.
    =============================   

If act; it should be US telling god why WE let all of that happen.  He left us here to tend to it and look what we did with it?

You burned the biscuits and complain cause you say God let you turn the oven up too high.

Mark ..  the biscuits are already burned.  Too late to turn back the clock.  But even if we could/,,  we'd just burn um again.
    ==========================================

You acuse me of complaciency!   Yea,  Yea  maybe I am? 
    Cause I know what we are like.   And we can't do any bettr in the future than what we have done in the past.

I at least believe that I got a bus ticket outa this town.
    Any hope is better than none.

Want to share my ticket with me?  I'll let cha

I hear we'r having cold beer and BBQ when we get thre!

14. giopski profile image69
    giopskiposted 7 years ago

I would like to hear some views about Anne Rice's recent remarks about the Catholic Church as anti-gay, feminist, etc. to quote her own words in her facebook account, she said:

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

working