jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How hard would it be to just go any other country and start a new life.

1. Kiwiwi profile image37
    Kiwiwiposted 6 years ago

How hard would it be to just go any other country and start a new life.

2. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

It isn't that hard to do. My husband and I have done just that. We moved to rural Brazil and love it. People just need to get over that phobia of moving.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

It depends on too many things to give a definitive answer. It depends on your character, your ties or otherwise in your home country, the country you are intending moving to, the reason you are intending moving, the method of generating income you are considering in your new country of residence, etc, etc...

Personally, I am in no doubt that I will leave the UK for Germany at some point in the fairly near future. I have twice in the past come very close to doing so and changed my mind at the last minute. I know Germany very well and love the country very much, while as everyone knows, the UK (in the wake of Blair) is in its final and irrevocable death throes.

4. Kiwiwi profile image37
    Kiwiwiposted 6 years ago

Well i want to move to South Korea and i am a citizen of republic of Turkey.The reason i ask this question is that i am in a serious relationship.However my partner isn't able to locate to Turkey for family, education, and work related issues.But i do have the freedom to just take off and go any where.My only concern is what do i do once i get there.Please dont flame me for what i wanna do, its a dream and love that i want to live and see it to the very end.

I have to say i am quite afraid, as i am not sure what type of work i can get, or can i even get a job once i get there.language, culture, will i be a victim of racial difference and such.
    Now i did leave in Canada for 10 years with my family before, but then again i was at a very young age at that time and i had support from family.But this time its just me.
    I have done some research on South Korea, and living there as a foreigner.The only possible job options i see is teaching English, which i am not capable of doing so.

5. truthfornow profile image80
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

It will probably be hard at some points without support.  However, if it is something you really want to do, you can take the chance.  You can always move back or try it on a temporary basis to see if you like it.

6. overcomeshyness profile image59
    overcomeshynessposted 6 years ago

In response to your specific situation, contact the embassy in South Korea and see what resources and help they can offer you. They may be able to give you the support you need. Best wishes to you!

7. Bretsuki profile image80
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

I did just that five years ago.
    I moved from England to the United States. It has been difficult at times, silly things usually make me want to go home, things such as 110 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures for weeks on end, no clouds in the sky. Forgetting not to look to my left immediately before stepping into the street to cross,
    I am lucky though, I moved between countries with a common alphabet and similar languages.  but at times I just have to pinch myself and say "You are in America now!" That was a thing I had never imagined would ever happen and it all happened by accident.
    This probably is of little help, but I have enjoyed the experience, I am happier here than I was in Britain. So if you can make it work I'd say throw yourself into the experience wholeheartedly. Find the pro's and cons as you seem to be doing and trust your instincts.

It will be harder than it was for me, at least there was only a minor few differences for me. But I looked at the choice and said, better to regret making an attempt to do something than to regret never accepting the challenge.

8. steveso profile image77
    stevesoposted 6 years ago

Well 3 years ago I retired from my job in Boston and moved to Penang, Malaysia to live. I found it not to be too much more difficult than moving to another state. The only difficulties are with the banks and our own beloved Medicare system. Even though you pay medicare for many many years, if you move overseas you don't get a cent of it. You also still have to pay US taxes. The standard of living here is lower and I can live much more comfortable here than at home, even though the dollars is going down the tubes.

working