jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)

When a Hubber dies, how long does HP keep their account open?

1. mary615 profile image95
    mary615posted 4 years ago

I just read on the Forum that another Hubber has passed away.  I have often wondered how long  HP keeps their account open along with their profiles, Hubs, etc.

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Apparently as long as they and the family wants. And more power to them.

http://earnestshub.hubpages.com/hub/The … nt-7744162

http://earnestshub.hubpages.com/hub/Are … nt-7063585

1. Trushered profile image60
        Trusheredposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Is that really so?

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
          paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Really? I thought it was a very nice thing to do on HubPages' part. We all liked Eanest. And I, for one, am glad to see his profile still here.

1. Trushered profile image60
            Trusheredposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree.

2. agvulpes profile image88
            agvulpesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree smile

3. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Me too! smile

2. mary615 profile image95
        mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is another Hubber I loved and respected whose work is still here:
        http://the-50-caliber.hubpages.com/

1. jseven profile image86
          jsevenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agree, Dusty was a legend in his own time. <3

2. profile image0
          Deb Welchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I feel very sad about Dusty passing on to a new destination.  What a gifted worded writer - I plan to read all his Hubs as long as they are kept on-file.  I trust he made Heaven's Gate.

2. agvulpes profile image88
      agvulpesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is my understanding that the 'account' is a tangible asset of the deceased estate and thus is legally 'willable' !  Thus if the person who receives the bequest wishes to keep the account open so be it?
      It would be good to hear the 'official' opinion on this matter ???

1. Good Guy profile image92
        Good Guyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is a pity that internet has come such a long way, but provisions for deceased legacy is not clear.  I am also interested in this matter because of my age, past 60.  I wonder whether Google Adsense and HP Adsense program would allow change of name of beneficiary once the registered owner is deceased.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My daughter had a friend running her business for her. When the friend no longer helped, Adsense let her change it to her name.

I am curious too if when I pass away if my husband or children are able to earn from my hubs.

2. bac2basics profile image89
          bac2basicsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I also wondered if my daughter could collect my HP earnings after my death. How would one go about arranging this?

2. johnr54 profile image51
        johnr54posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am living proof of this happening.  My husband started the Hubs we have.  Several months after he passed away, I got around to looking at them and decided to continue his work.  I am open about this in my Hub profile.  He had many other internet connections and I had to formally go in and change the ownership mostly for tax and accounting purposes.  I can affirm that in our case, everything that was his was willed to me and I was allowed to remain the owner. 

I have truly come a long way taking over his affairs and suggest that if you are a couple, sit down and have a planning meeting about this inevitable change in your lives.  It will be a much smoother transition for the remaining spouse/partner than having to figure everything out from scratch.

1. Good Guy profile image92
          Good Guyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Joanie,
          Did you solve the problem of transferring the adsense and hp ad program to your name?  Did they allow this change?

2. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am happy to hear that it can be transferred. Thanks for the info. I am sorry that you lost your husband.

3. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm really sorry to hear that about Johnr54, he was a clever guy. I liked his hubs and one in particular was extremely useful to me in my journey here.

It must have been tough for you to try and pick up his HP account/online stuff if you had no experience, but well done for doing it!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The ownership of a HubPages account is establishing by access to email at the registered address, knowing the password, and knowing the answer to the security questions.
      If someone is concerned about succession, they should make sure to share that information with whomever they want control of their account to go.

I added an FAQ entry as well.
      You can find it here.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#deceasedusers

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good to know, Matthew.  I'd wondered if it were that simple - thanks for the confirmation.

2. ZachKaer profile image87
        ZachKaerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow, this is great to know. My respect for Hubpages just went up!

2. Thelma Alberts profile image85
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

I would like to know about this, too.

3. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Good On You mary615 for opening this thread  smile

We have lost:

Cris A
    Earnest
    Dusty
    and
    John (r)

All Prematurely....  sad
    I am not aware of the death of any others... although there are 100s missing  sad

@Johnr's wife.... I am sorry for your loss and very happy to see that you continue to celebrate the life of your fallen hubber, as you do.  smile

1. Benjimester profile image90
      Benjimesterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What?!?!  CrisA passed away.  He was my first friend on HP.  How did it happen.  He was so young.  That's terrible news.  I can't believe it.  I'm so sorry to hear that, and to hear that another wonderful hubber has passed away as well.

1. Pearldiver profile image88
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep mate.... CrisA was over a year ago and it hit me the same as it did you... as it did.. everyone!  sad
        He was so incredibly talented... the beauty of his site is such an excellent testimony to the artist... http://diptyched.blogspot.com/   - You will see what I mean... smile

4. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

Google will work with survivors if they can provide a copy of a death certificate and some other details, probably some sort of verification that the assets of the deceased have legally transferred to the rightful heirs. 

This is certainly something we as publisher need to consider while planning our final affairs.  Often times, our survivors will not even know of the existence of our online properties, accounts, passwords, etc unless we make sure they get this information.

1. johnr54 profile image51
      johnr54posted 4 years ago in reply to this

When my husband retired, he took up the internet business as his second hobby; investing was his first.  He did not let us know the scope of what he was involved in because I think he wanted it to be a surprise to show us how much he could make from the businesses he created online.  That left us trying to figure everything out on our own.  Please, please share your work with your spouse or children so they are prepared when they need to be.

On a humorous note, my friends and I now know what he was doing all those hours on the computer and we joke about that all the time.

1. mary615 profile image95
        mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

When my Hubby died, we had no idea of investments, etc.he had.  It took a long time to "find" things.  My four chiildren (one is my executor) knows I write on HubPages cause they read my stuff all the time.
        Like your Hubby, I am retired and HP is my hobby, and I'm happy I found it.  I admire you for taking over his work here.  BTW: I am a follower of Johnr54.

5. skperdon profile image85
    skperdonposted 4 years ago

It is really interesting to read about this. I didn't realize that our writing can be viewed as an investment. Neat!
    My condolences to all, on HubPages, and to the family of the dearly departed hubbers that I didn't get a chance to get to know.

6. A Troubled Nurse profile image59
    A Troubled Nurseposted 4 years ago

Important question indeed.

7. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 4 years ago

I'm glad I read this post because I didn't know about 50Caliber passing on.  He was so cool; he always had a good thing to say to me with a little story.  Loved him.

working