When a Hubber dies, how long does HP keep their account open?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I just read on the Forum that another Hubber has passed away.  I have often wondered how long  HP keeps their account open along with their profiles, Hubs, etc.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Apparently as long as they and the family wants. And more power to them.

http://earnestshub.hubpages.com/hub/The … nt-7744162

http://earnestshub.hubpages.com/hub/Are … nt-7063585

1. Trushered profile image59
        Trusheredposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is that really so?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Really? I thought it was a very nice thing to do on HubPages' part. We all liked Eanest. And I, for one, am glad to see his profile still here.

1. Trushered profile image59
            Trusheredposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

2. agvulpes profile image85
            agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree smile

3. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me too! smile

2. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is another Hubber I loved and respected whose work is still here:
        http://the-50-caliber.hubpages.com/

1. jseven profile image77
          jsevenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agree, Dusty was a legend in his own time. <3

2. profile image0
          Deb Welchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I feel very sad about Dusty passing on to a new destination.  What a gifted worded writer - I plan to read all his Hubs as long as they are kept on-file.  I trust he made Heaven's Gate.

2. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that the 'account' is a tangible asset of the deceased estate and thus is legally 'willable' !  Thus if the person who receives the bequest wishes to keep the account open so be it?
      It would be good to hear the 'official' opinion on this matter ???

1. Good Guy profile image83
        Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a pity that internet has come such a long way, but provisions for deceased legacy is not clear.  I am also interested in this matter because of my age, past 60.  I wonder whether Google Adsense and HP Adsense program would allow change of name of beneficiary once the registered owner is deceased.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My daughter had a friend running her business for her. When the friend no longer helped, Adsense let her change it to her name.

I am curious too if when I pass away if my husband or children are able to earn from my hubs.

2. bac2basics profile image85
          bac2basicsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also wondered if my daughter could collect my HP earnings after my death. How would one go about arranging this?

2. johnr54 profile image48
        johnr54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am living proof of this happening.  My husband started the Hubs we have.  Several months after he passed away, I got around to looking at them and decided to continue his work.  I am open about this in my Hub profile.  He had many other internet connections and I had to formally go in and change the ownership mostly for tax and accounting purposes.  I can affirm that in our case, everything that was his was willed to me and I was allowed to remain the owner. 

I have truly come a long way taking over his affairs and suggest that if you are a couple, sit down and have a planning meeting about this inevitable change in your lives.  It will be a much smoother transition for the remaining spouse/partner than having to figure everything out from scratch.

1. Good Guy profile image83
          Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Joanie,
          Did you solve the problem of transferring the adsense and hp ad program to your name?  Did they allow this change?

2. Barbara Kay profile image72
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am happy to hear that it can be transferred. Thanks for the info. I am sorry that you lost your husband.

3. Susana S profile image95
          Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm really sorry to hear that about Johnr54, he was a clever guy. I liked his hubs and one in particular was extremely useful to me in my journey here.

It must have been tough for you to try and pick up his HP account/online stuff if you had no experience, but well done for doing it!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The ownership of a HubPages account is establishing by access to email at the registered address, knowing the password, and knowing the answer to the security questions.
      If someone is concerned about succession, they should make sure to share that information with whomever they want control of their account to go.

I added an FAQ entry as well.
      You can find it here.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#deceasedusers

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good to know, Matthew.  I'd wondered if it were that simple - thanks for the confirmation.

2. profile image0
        ZachKaerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, this is great to know. My respect for Hubpages just went up!

3. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This relates to a similar NEW question which has been asked http://hubpages.com/community/forum/142 … fter-death which references  your creation of http://hubpages.com/faq/#deceasedusers

The latter does not take account of the fact that the AdSense account dies with the user - and this is causing some concern.

Perhaps you could expand the FAQ about deceased users with alternative options as to what any hubber and their planned successor can do to deal with the issue of the AdSense account which terminates on death - otherwise the successor has a lot of hubs and no income.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is true.  However, the HP account does you no good without an Adsense account.  I've been researching this question a lot since posting it here, and for those who are interested, this is what I have learned so far with regards to Adsense:

When a writer passes away, Google closes their Adsense account and sends any proceeds in the account to the beneficiary.  They will not allow the beneficiary to simply take over the Adsense account.

However, to earn, the beneficiary will have to do the following:

get a paypal account
        apply for their own Adsense Account
        get their own Google Account
        provide a separate email and home address (unless Google will accept proof of the death, such as a Death Certificate or Will).

None of this is easy to do for people who do not understand how all of these pieces fit together and many will not be able to do all of it without assistance.

For example, one requirement is that a beneficiary will need a Google account before he can try to sign up for Adsense, and he must also have an account with good content in place before he can sign up for Adsense.

Whether it's HP or Google, a beneficiary will also have to set up a dedicated bank account so that it can receive funds.

They don't make this easy.  In fact, I was very surprised to see just how technically difficult it would be.  Google provides almost no information that is helpful, so you really have to dig for it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TT2, you are making it sound very complicated and it's not. 

As you say, the process to take over the HubPages account is straightforward.

The situation with Adsense is that the heir cannot take over the deceased person's Adsense account.  That account will be closed and the balance sent to the heir.  No exceptions.  Simple.

If the heir wishes to continue to earn from the HubPages account, then they need to get their own Adsense and Paypal accounts, in the normal way, fulfilling all the normal requirements.   No special bank account, nothing unusual, just the normal process.  For Adsense, they would use the deceased's HubPages account as evidence of good content.   

The problem arises where the heir is not computer literate.  In that case, even the normal process of applying for Adsense and Paypal accounts and pasting them into HubPages may be beyond them.   That would certainly be the case for my husband, which is why I'm not even going to suggest it to him! 

TT2, as you were keen to find a way to make it work, I suggested a way around it.  That's when it got complicated, because it involves setting up Adsense and Paypal accounts for the heir ahead of time - and that's a problem for you, because you share the same address and bank account.  For someone like me and my  husband, it would be easier because we have separate bank accounts and I could use a relative's address.

Oh, and by the way, you seem to feel that getting a Google account is some kind of stumbling block?  Signing up for a Gmail account takes two seconds, there's no approval process, everyone is eligible.  That's all it takes.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

I would like to know about this, too.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

Good On You mary615 for opening this thread  smile

We have lost:

Cris A
    Earnest
    Dusty
    and
    John (r)

All Prematurely....  sad
    I am not aware of the death of any others... although there are 100s missing  sad

@Johnr's wife.... I am sorry for your loss and very happy to see that you continue to celebrate the life of your fallen hubber, as you do.  smile

1. Benjimester profile image87
      Benjimesterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What?!?!  CrisA passed away.  He was my first friend on HP.  How did it happen.  He was so young.  That's terrible news.  I can't believe it.  I'm so sorry to hear that, and to hear that another wonderful hubber has passed away as well.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep mate.... CrisA was over a year ago and it hit me the same as it did you... as it did.. everyone!  sad
        He was so incredibly talented... the beauty of his site is such an excellent testimony to the artist... http://diptyched.blogspot.com/   - You will see what I mean... smile

4. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

Google will work with survivors if they can provide a copy of a death certificate and some other details, probably some sort of verification that the assets of the deceased have legally transferred to the rightful heirs. 

This is certainly something we as publisher need to consider while planning our final affairs.  Often times, our survivors will not even know of the existence of our online properties, accounts, passwords, etc unless we make sure they get this information.

1. johnr54 profile image48
      johnr54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

When my husband retired, he took up the internet business as his second hobby; investing was his first.  He did not let us know the scope of what he was involved in because I think he wanted it to be a surprise to show us how much he could make from the businesses he created online.  That left us trying to figure everything out on our own.  Please, please share your work with your spouse or children so they are prepared when they need to be.

On a humorous note, my friends and I now know what he was doing all those hours on the computer and we joke about that all the time.

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

When my Hubby died, we had no idea of investments, etc.he had.  It took a long time to "find" things.  My four chiildren (one is my executor) knows I write on HubPages cause they read my stuff all the time.
        Like your Hubby, I am retired and HP is my hobby, and I'm happy I found it.  I admire you for taking over his work here.  BTW: I am a follower of Johnr54.

5. skperdon profile image83
    skperdonposted 10 years ago

It is really interesting to read about this. I didn't realize that our writing can be viewed as an investment. Neat!
    My condolences to all, on HubPages, and to the family of the dearly departed hubbers that I didn't get a chance to get to know.

6. A Troubled Nurse profile image57
    A Troubled Nurseposted 10 years ago

Important question indeed.

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

I'm glad I read this post because I didn't know about 50Caliber passing on.  He was so cool; he always had a good thing to say to me with a little story.  Loved him.

8. Karen Hellier profile image89
    Karen Hellierposted 6 years ago

We have also lost Mary Craig. So sad when our friends here go and we realize we will no longer be able to read their new work anymore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)