Do you really read others hubbs?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (53 posts)
  1. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Just wondering , because when I go around and look at comments made on hubbs many times the comment dosnt really pertain to the hubb , I notice some go around and drop the same comment on many many hubbs just to get traffic to theirs I imagine , I kind of find that rude in a way, I mean dont ya think they should at least read the thing if they are going to comment?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read every hub from the beginning to the end of sentence, and some hubbers chose to read some parts only which they like, it is up to them, but I agree with you that commenting and posting a generic comment for all the hubs they read is not nice too, but at least for them to take a look at the hub is good start already

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you always leave such nice comments, Maita. big_smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read other's hubs, and I usually am pleasantly surprised by the insight and views of the writers. I don't read as much as I would like because HP is only one of my interests, but I do enjoy reading and commenting as often as I can.

I agree with you that the "game" of trying to get more hits for yourself is more like spamming than anything. If one takes a more genuine approach and invests in this community, I think readership will naturally increase and stay at increased levels in most cases. Spammers are like one-hit-wonders on the radio. They have a few moments, then they go away quickly. That's not a very intelligent way to use HP, in my opinion.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I look for subjects I'm interested in, and then I'll get a reading on whether it looks like the Hub was written well.  I definitely read them all the way through and wouldn't comment otherwise.  Like you, I've been struck by some of the really well written Hubs there are, whether that's non-fiction or creative writing.  I do kind of scan for signs that the writer has something to offer.  If I see some robot-style few paragraphs that show no signs of humanity in them I move on and don't comment.

3. beth1966 profile image59
      beth1966posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you Starme77. If you are going to comment on someone's hub you most definately need to read the entire hub, how else can you give an honest and caring comment.

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't have time to read everyone's hub, but i do read people who comment me, and sometimes i will read hubs of people i notice in forums.

5. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read and comment and sometimes I just commend them for an absolutely great hub, of course after I yap my gums for a little bit. smile

6. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i do.  although, i don't often have time to read all my friends hubs, but when i do, im always sure to read it, and make a comment about the hub itself.

2. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Well, I may not read many but when I do, I read it fully and comment only when I am moved by the hub

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

i always read before commenting. sometimes i cant think of a great comment, but if all i say is nice hub, its because i mean it.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do the same. If I don't like the hub, I usually don't finish reading it and don't comment. For every hub I read, I always rate it and almost always leave a comment just to let the writer know that his/her work is appreciated.

I try to read about 5 hubs a day from writers I "follow," and I also try to read the same number of hubs written by hubbers who are new to me. This enables me to "meet" more hubbers and to become familiar with their work.

2. pddm67 profile image60
      pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto smile

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I always read what I comment. But unfortunately I have to make a selection of what hubs I'm going to read. I receive a lot, and don't have time to read all.

Luckily up till now all the comments on my hubs are of people that read  them. Maybe that's because they're not commercial.
    commercial hubs brings a lot of traffic and a lot of different people commenting them.

5. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Everyday I try to read atleast 5-10 hubs. Helps me get to know other hubbers, and I can see a variety of layouts. About 90% of the time I comment sincerely and I always rate it. Wish I had time to read more hubs as there are so many talented hubbers here smile Holly

6. TINA V profile image68
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

I read hubs that interests me before I post my comments. You can learn from other hubbers too. 
    However,  I don't like to finish reading those hubs that I find boring. I don't also like to read articles that are not original.  I already found a few hubs.  No reference materials used were cited. I don't post any comments too.  But I do rate it.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is often discussion about reference materials on writing sites.  For the most part, references used to get information that would be incorporated into the article/Hub should be cited.   Sometimes people expect references when they would generally not be required.  One such time is when information is general knowledge (such as, "smoking is not healthy"), or else when it is assimilated knowledge (the person who has been rebuilding transmissions for 20 years has assimilated knowledge, through experience and/or books but didn't necessarily have to do research to come up with his article.  Some people recommending digging up a reference to back up assimilated knowledge "just to make readers happy".  How important that is if the writer, himself, has real expertise might be debatable.

The guy who has been rebuilding transmissions for years may, by profession, be someone like a Postal Carrier, but that doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't become a transmission expert capable of writing his own article.

Some writing sites will advise writers that web articles are not academic papers and writers should be careful not to bog down their articles with a big list of references (any more than newspaper writers or magazines writers usually do).

7. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I always read.  It is a waste of time, in my opinion, to leave a lame comment on many hubs you haven't read.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to read as many as I'd like.

8. starme77 profile image77

Reading takes time , and writing takes time, If your not an avid reader then you really cant be a great writer , at least thats what I learned in writing school anyway. But the time it takes to both read and write is amazing. I can sit down to read at say 6 or 7 am and its ten before I know it and I feel I havent accomplished much  so I know what ya'll are saying. But I do enjoy reading others hubbs and commenting when I can also.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I usually read 5 or 6 a day, and rate it up or leave a comment.
      If it doesn't look interesting, no, I don't read it, but then I would not leave a comment. Life is too short to waste time.

I also try to look at a a couple new hubs as they're published.
      there are many great hubs being written.  smile

2. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 14 years ago

I only comment or even rate hubs I fully read...meaning thigns that interest me or when I'm not being lazy. I haven't been reading them often these days therefore rarely do I comment.

3. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 14 years ago

I try to read what I can each day. I will read what interests me at the time. I just read one of yours and commented..... smile

4. starme77 profile image77

Thanks smile glad ya liked it , I'll read a few of yours later on today smile

1. K Partin profile image60
        K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me. Thanks smile

5. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I like to read hubs, and if I read all the way through it I rate it up.  Often I don't have anything to say, so do not comment, but comment when I can.

6. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I love reading good hubs! Its a great way to make new friends here, get new ideas and give something back to the community. I do not bother to comment on anything I cannot finish reading cause I can't think of any good comments to make. When I do comment I like to try and use some of the keywords that I noticed in the text, once I found a hub on google because of the comment left, google used it in the search. I think that we want to get as much traffic to hub pages, your pages or mine, and keep them here until they find an add to click! It might be one of my ads they click lol. When commenting on a new members hub it can be really fun, I have more then once had someone say that I made their day with my comment. You never know who it is you might be helping out with a nice comment, they may well be the sort who will pay back the kindness with a back link or a nice comment of their own! I guess for me my aim here is to gain the respect of the community and to make friends, commenting on hubs can get both. I do think that having a good reputation will pay off in the long term.

7. itech profile image64
      itechposted 14 years ago

I like reading only those hubs that are related to my interest & always put a comment on them not for traffic but feels good. smile wink

8. Himitsu Shugisha profile image70
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

I try to read the entire hubs of hubbers that I am following. And I will also read and comment on those hubs that peek my interest. When commenting I try to refer to specific areas within the hub that I found interesting or insightful. Just giving a comment of nice hub is okay, but doesn't really do anything to help the writer.

9. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I do! At least when I comment it is because I read the hub! Unfortunately I don't read enough of them and hopefully I'll get better at visiting more, reading and commenting. Sorry my friends if I haven't been around. You can admonish me and I'll make an extra effort.

10. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years ago

I try to read as many as I can.  I think its only fair as I want others to read mine as well.  Besides, alot of them are pretty dang funny, interesting or uplifting.  I try to set aside a portion of my day to peruse a few I haven't seen before. Great fun.

11. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I look at my “new hubs by your favorite authors” email first thing each day.  I almost always read several from that list.  I usually can’t keep up with reading as many of them as interest me.  I find new (to me) hubbers to read from HubNuggets nominees, HubMob hubs, or hubs of someone who newly fans/follows me, or hubs of someone who interests me in the forums. 

I usually read the entire hub, and leave a comment.  Most of the comments I see from others overall are on point and not self promoting. 

I have a comment on one of my hubs with a self promotional link.  Can anyone tell me how to delete the link without deleting the entire comment?

12. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I also take a look at new hubs by my favorite authors (sent to me in email form).  I may not always have time to comment but do use the thumbs up feature.

I also look for new articles every week.

If will often email hub links to friends if I think the article will interest them.  I have linked hubs in one of my blogs.

13. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I read Hubber's Hubs everyday. I check out all the different assortment of views, thoughts and ideas, people have about things happening. I enjoy viewing other people thoughts and views. It gives knowledge.

If the Hub is informative and well written, then it is an honor to help provide them support, either thru leaving a positive comment and/or rating it up.

Thank you for the topic. big_smile Have a Great Day! smile

14. alexandriaruthk profile image70
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

I sometimes read it but I am sleepy I need to sleep early

15. bojanglesk8 profile image60
      bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

To be honest, no.

16. Sybil Marie profile image60
      Sybil Marieposted 14 years ago

I love to read others work, being fairly new too writing articles I learn alot from those I read. Like others who have posted here I check my e-mails in the morning for new hubs written by folks I follow and try to read some by hubbers I see in forums.
      I have more time right now because I have hurt my knee and am home from work for awhile.

17. fishtiger58 profile image69
      fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I read hubs all the way to the end unless I don't care for it then I will quit part way through.

18. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I take a day out for nothing but to spend hours reading. It's fun, enjoyable and learning. smile

19. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i read lots of hubs, and if i have not finished due to my short concentration span i say so, and go back to it, if it very long that is..... i read too many, as i don't leave enough time to write as many as I should

20. RedElf profile image88
      RedElfposted 14 years ago

Some do just comment to add their name (or worse, a link to a Hub), and that is what they do, and for the link droppers, we have a delete button. I find that most really care enough to let you know they stopped by and read the hub, but I also know some are too busy to comment on every Hub they read. I'm glad when people just read them. Guess I am easily pleased some days wink

21. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I read a lot of hubs, but I dont comment to often.

I always rate it up if I like it, and if I think it fits any of the fields I focus in, I tweet it out to 5k people, or share it on facebook, or put a link up on one of my sites with a short intro

22. E. Nicolson profile image71
      E. Nicolsonposted 14 years ago

Every Hub that I have commented on, I have read thoroughly, and sometimes have reread to make sure the comment is appropriate. There are many fine writers and it is a joy to read them.

23. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I do like to read hubs, and I won't fan someone without liking their hubs on principle. I leave comments fairly sparingly, but I do read, and often enjoy, people's hubs.

24. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I do read them I just can't get to as many as I really really want too, it's frustrating to say the least sad

25. jenblacksheep profile image68
      jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I don't get a lot of time to read other hubs. I really do try though. I generally only go for ones that I think I'll find interesting, coz there are so many hubs out there that I'd rather read ones I think I'll enjoy that just random ones.
      I try to leave comments as often as I can, but often I can't really think of anything insightful to say. But I try to just say something and say I liked the hub.
      I really must try harder to read more!

26. profile image58
      A. Faurholtposted 14 years ago

I haven't read so many Hubs yet, but I have been over a few, and commented on two that I didn't quite agree with.

That usually leads to some good interaction when to people (or more) discuss a topic they are both devoted to.

To the ones writing generic comments "If you can't say something useful, then don't say nothing at all!"

27. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I try to read 3 or 4 every day but when I have a large block of time, I sit down (like one would with a good book) and read hubs from my favorite "story" authors.  The other benefit is that once you know someone's work, you know where to get informaiton that you trust and I use this type of "read" all the time. 

I am honest with my comments and I always comment but only if I've read it through.  I immediately click away from poorly written hubs or purely promotional hubs.  My hubs are set that I have to approve comments so I just deny those that are only self-promotional "one hit wonders".

28. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 14 years ago

I read every word that is written in the hub as I choose to read what I want to.  I have learned at least one new thing in each hub that I have read.  I will leave comments if I have anything to say, and always rate up if I believe that it was well written.

As for generic comments, when I receive them, I decide whether to approve or deny.  I have denied all that are non-related to the hub, one timers and spam.

29. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I don't get to read as many Hubs as I like...but I always leave a comment on all the ones I read...'cause I know that the writer of the Hub likes to hear the feedback...as much as I do!

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree mpm, though I have seen some hubbers, especially those that treat HP and their other writing endeavors as a businiess, indicate that they did not appreciate lots of the comments they received that were just "great hub", "good read", "thanks" etc.  For me, I appreciate knowing who "dropped by".  I wish the up arrow function showed a log of who, like a thumbs up on Facebook.

30. apace profile image61
      apaceposted 14 years ago

I am an avid reader and writer. I need to learn to be a bit more of an avid writer, as I would otherwise read forever and never start.

I have been registered now for three months, and due to distractions (or excuses maybe) havn't started writing.

I do love reading, as when I have written I see the processes as being to some extent intertwined.

I don't like commenting in general on forum boards and other mediums on the internet unless I have read the relevant posting. I remember a thread I read which was a product review site that took a long time to read. However it was a goldmine of information. The posts were engaging, and there was a great debate. In fact it led me to this forum and some other valuable information.

It would feel disingenuous and  disrespectful to the reader to post comments if you havn't bothered to acquaint yourself with the substance of their message.

I think I will be reading quite a few hubpages to engage with the different styles, topics, formatting and layout. From the few that I have read so far it will be fun. It is part of the learning experience, but has to be balanced with the 'doing' part.

31. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I read but I rarely comment because I was told the hubs belong to the hubber who wrote it and they can erase your opinion. Most of them I read are well written and informative.

32. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
      BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

I always read someones hub all the way through. If I enjoy them a lot, I say so and give the reasons why I enjoyed them so much.I agree that it is not fair to read just a little of a hub, that someone has obviously put a lot of time and effort into, and just write in any old thing whether it is relevant to the hubber's content or not. If you read a hub that you like, then you should make your comment with regard to that fact, and let the hubber know what it was that made you enjoy it so much. It is much better to be paid a nice complement like this, than just to get (nice one, good work, that could mean anything, it certainly doesn't prove that you even looked at it, let alone read the hub). Just think, how much you like to get nice complements about your hubs, then put those same thoughts towards the other hubber's hubs. Don't we owe them that courtesy as well, I think so anyway.Please everyone have a think about it at least. BB

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)