Traffic - HubPages vs Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 222 discussions (313 posts)
  1. mattressguru profile image61
    mattressguruposted 15 years ago

One thing about Squidoo though is that it has marketing guru seth godin behind it. I'm not sure who or how Hubpages started. Does anyone know the story behind Hubpages?

1. rmshdc profile image57
      rmshdcposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you MATTRESSGURU.  HubPages should throw some light on the story on how HubPages started and by whom?  A little bio!

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Hubpages are far better than sqidoo in many areas including content, traffic.... and so on. Thumbs up Hubpages!!!
    Jyoti Kothari

3. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

Thats probably partly due to all the sexy Indian girls hubs that appear on this site!  However what is worth noticing is in addition to the overall traffic rates increasing for Hubpages its Alexa traffic rank is also increasing in India, the USA, UK, Australia etc meaning that there is a broad increase worldwide.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I like squidoo but hubpages eats it for traffic.

5. brunkild profile image60
    brunkildposted 15 years ago

I write for both HubPages and Squidoo. At first I thought it was just me as I am still quite new. However I have also noticed that on average I am getting almost 5 times as much traffic on HubPages. This is definitely encouraging & will visit the forum more often. smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

WOW!

That's a big difference...thanks for the update. smile

6. zackpow profile image59
    zackpowposted 15 years ago

I haven't really done much with Squidoo. I created a lens or 2 but have found Hubpages to be very interesting. I also heard that Google is falling out of love with Squidoo because of all the spam. Anyway, keep up the good work.

7. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

There are some good lenses on Squidoo, but I like Hubpages better.  I get only a few views for my Squidoo lenses and hundreds per day for my Hubs.  Of course I really just never put in the time at Squidoo, so it could have been higher.

8. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

I like both sites.  Both sites are similar but yet on the other hand are different too.  Right now I get better traffic over there, but I do get daily traffic here, but its not a whole lot.  The thing is, traffic does fluctuate.  There was a time that I was getting more traffic here, but that always changes but its also based on what is popular or not.  I have 76 lenses over there and 26 hubs over here but I am going to be writing more hubs soon.

9. Herald Daily profile image57
    Herald Dailyposted 15 years ago

Forgive me for asking, but I'm a little confused.  Actually, I guess I'm just asking for clarification.  HubPages is better, at least in ways that matter, than Squidoo?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my trying to learn how to use Squidoo.  If it doesn't make much difference, I won't bother as I'm really enjoying being here at HubPages.

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have already posted in this very long thread, but I will post again.  I like both sites although I have been on Squidoo longer and have more pages over there right now.  I get good traffic on both sites.   As Trekkiemelissa stated, the traffic does flucuate.  If I look at my dashboards on both sites today, I am averaging 94/visits per lens and 76 visits per hub over the last 7 days.  That of course could change tomorrow. 

I think if you want to stay diversified online and spread your earnings out over various sites (I have blogs, too), then it may benefit you to work on both sites as I am doing.  To answer your question, yes Squidoo can be worth your time if you decide to give it a try.  Like any other venture, you get out of it what you put into it. You can view my Squidoo earnings here. I am no where near that income over on Hubpages, however, I only have 16 hubs.

1. Herald Daily profile image57
        Herald Dailyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank-you, Janet.  You answered my question better than I asked it, I think.  Whether or not it is beneficial enough to do both (assuming effort is applied) is exactly what I wanted to know.  Sounds to me like it would be worthwhile.

Thanks so much for this!

10. 397268 profile image57
    397268posted 15 years ago

My experience is the same as every elses.

HubPages if nicer to use and gets me more traffic

11. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

It is not only the question of hubpages and squido but of many other sites. it is betetr to write in many sites. You get different visitors in different sites. People are habituated or addicted to some sites. they always prefer to go to that site only.

so you use more sites for writing you will get unique visitors. No  doubt hubpages are good place but we can not ignore others.

I have posted same article in hubpages and ezinearticles and ezinearticles has more views than hubpages.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

1. seemorebangkok profile image60
      seemorebangkokposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like combining ezine articles and hubpages for traffic generation. Both provide great exposure because they do have higher standards for author 's content, which equals more authority resulting in better search ranking.

12. indian cooking profile image62
    indian cookingposted 15 years ago

I joined squidoo and hubpages the same day, ie 5 days ago. But could not figure out what to do there so have not done anything there so far.

13. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

Hubpages is the best adsense revenue sharing site.

14. lindagoffigan profile image56
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

Thank you for the Stats HubPage Staffer.  I am still waiting on visitors on the one lens I have on Squidoo. Great traffic but no one has found the one lens I wrote.  Hubpages grasps for articles before I am done editing.  HubPage better and cleaner.

15. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

This news is no surprise to me at all! but `fantastic all the same!

Keep up the good work HP team;)

16. gr8archer45 profile image64
    gr8archer45posted 14 years ago

oh thats interesting to know, I joined squiddo earlier & later I joined hubpages & found that hubpages is a more user friendly site plus the fellow hubbers are really nice too. I enjoy hubbing more than creating lenses on squiddo. I did start to make one bt never got to complete it.
    so for me Hubpages rules!! big_smile

17. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

The latest Alexa data shows Hubpages continuing to pull further away from Squidoo and this is confirmed by Quantcast.

18. Klniksta profile image61
    Klnikstaposted 14 years ago

YAY hubpages, i knew it was better

19. ecoggins profile image91
    ecogginsposted 14 years ago

I have posted articles on Squidoo and now Hubpages. I get more traffic on Hubpages and I do less internal promotion. I was completely surprised when a person who is not a member of Hubpages commented on my lens about Kobe Bryant. Makes me think Hubpages is doing something right.

20. Kidgas profile image62
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I too have found that the traffic is much better here.  I found squidoo first and while working around there found out about this site, came here and love it.  I am busy trying to finish about 30 hubs prior to going back and doing a few lenses.  The instantaneous traffic is a real ego boost.

21. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

I get more traffic in a day on Hubpages than I get in a week on Squidoo.

22. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Em, glad to see you old friend! smile

Are you back to forums?

23. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

Yes, Misha, I am here for now. Spending more times writing hubs lately so I'm actually around.

I was on an article writing binge for awhile for one of my affiliate programs. I will be back to it in a few weeks, but I just need to take a break from writing about the same thing over and over again LOL

24. Kmadhav profile image59
    Kmadhavposted 14 years ago

From where Traffic is coming on my site It is good for me...I have an account in both sites but I am most active in hubpages.
    Squidoo accepts content is already on other sites.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Kmadhav

25. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I'm tickled to see Quantcast added; it's long been my go-to service for checking out websites (and has even helped me avoid a couple of online scams without undue wear and tear).

Am also appreciative of a portion of the programming that catches the "overly spammy" stuff.  Telling on myself, but a Hub I published earlier today was swimming like a rock with its Hub rating after publication.  Not sure why...until I reread my work.  Oops.  Didn't intend it to come out that way, but it needed cleaning up.  Took about five minutes to delete every "promotional" reference, which is a sure indication that those references were NOT integral to the story line.

I've no doubt the score for that Hub will now come up at a normal rate.  Nice to have something that automatically gets your attention when your engine's fuel filter is clogged.

Thanks, guys.  Keep it up.

26. freelanceauthor profile image59
    freelanceauthorposted 14 years ago

The data is true, I got more pageviews in hubpage than squidoo. At this point, its more than 4 times.

27. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I started writing on Squidoo and thought the world of them. That is, until i discovered and joined HP.
    I have 5 lenses (with absolutely no traffic in 3 of them), but now have 15 hubs with improving traffic by the day.
    Definitely, my vote goes to HP.

28. oderog profile image46
    oderogposted 14 years ago

Great comparision between hubpages and squidoo, this will help those that wants to join squidoo or hubpages to make an informed decision

29. ethel smith profile image83
    ethel smithposted 14 years ago

Squidoo is one site I have never gotten around to joining. I guess it may not be worth the bother.

30. zoulining profile image60
    zouliningposted 14 years ago

Great to know that, i like hubpages very much!

31. N.Q profile image61
    N.Qposted 14 years ago

Interesting info smile

32. gurgel1 profile image59
    gurgel1posted 14 years ago

Boo Sqido!
    Congrats to Hubpages.

33. xquisit1985 profile image54
    xquisit1985posted 14 years ago

I just wanted to take a minute and post in my first forum. i would like to agree that i am notiving the traffic on hub pages is better, but i think i am going to try to advertise my hubs with my lenses and vis a vis we will see what happens, and check me out guys, i like the idea of contructive critisism around the sight, if we can all let each other know where our weak points are, then this site, and our hubs, will continue to grow value!!!
    nice to meet everyone!
    XQ

34. kachis profile image59
    kachisposted 14 years ago

yeah. hubpages thats the best on the net and nothing else.

35. tgpmaker profile image61
    tgpmakerposted 14 years ago

absolutely, bravo!!!

36. word_power76 profile image59
    word_power76posted 14 years ago

I agree with most of people who commented on this thread. I have accounts on both these sites. While user interface is good on both, hubpages is better content wise. Also, most important thing is that hubpages rank much higher in google rankings.

37. YSNY profile image59
    YSNYposted 14 years ago

Very interesting, started accounts on both Squidoo and Hubpages. Looks like they are both great.

38. kephrira profile image61
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I've also done both and got more traffic to my hubs than my lenses, and I prefer the revenue sharing model on hubpages too cos it's more transparent and you know where you are.

39. profile image0
    mariyammaposted 14 years ago

Hubpages is more easy to use , user friendly

40. futurenetads profile image61
    futurenetadsposted 14 years ago

Hubpages is more easy and flexible  to use ....... I love Hubpages....its too good ...keep rocking

41. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Im on squidoo as well. Started there before coming to HP. Prefer HP by a mile. Traffic almost non existent for me at squidoo.

42. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

My partner is a squidoo addict and me a HubPages addict so ya its really win-win for us.

I do know that HP is much more effective though

43. michelle.dragon99 profile image58
    michelle.dragon99posted 14 years ago

cool tips...i never count them before...it's pretty surprise:)

44. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Prior to the 30 Day Hub Challenge, I got more traffic to my lenses than my hubs. But I had noticed a trend, and I was making more from HubPages with less traffic.

Now my hub traffic has grown larger than my lens traffic, and my revenue has also increased further.

45. mohsen profile image61
    mohsenposted 14 years ago

I just checked google trends
    seems hubpages traffic is now more than squidoo

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=hub … amp;sort=0

Hubpages blue, Squidoo Red
    http://www.google.com/chart?cht=lc&chd=e%3A2Y2Y2Y2Y2Y2Y2Y2Y%2CB6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6B6%2CLKMVNJPdRnUbMSNNOENyO-PRRMRhUAVUV1W3Y-bldab5aza4ZvbLc.ejf5gliMi9jdjxj2j-ixhRhkj6hYjHjuj4i5gDfugfgui1iAjsjskBjniKhs%2C%2CUCXXcdj0dVRbSbTDVeYLZwa1a3a.dLcCbGdoeKgLg6dzdbb7b-cKf7ickdlnouqqpZoBpQpLo0m1n6mykjn4n1m-nWkykvg9gQhNgmhsgofyfgdxd9%2C&chs=580x188&chco=ffffff00%2Cffffff00%2C4684eeff%2C4684eeff%2Cdc3912ff%2C4684eeff&chls=1.0%2C1.0%2C0.0%7C1.0%2C1.0%2C0.0%7C1.5%2C1.0%2C0.0%7C1.5%2C3.0%2C3.0%7C1.5%2C1.0%2C0.0%7C1.5%2C3.0%2C3.0&chxt=x&chxr=0%2C0.0%2C100.0&chxl=0%3A%7C%7C%7CJul+2007%7C%7C%7COct+2007%7C%7C%7CJan+2008%7C%7C%7CApr+2008%7C%7C%7CJul+2008%7C%7C%7COct+2008%7C%7C%7CJan+2009%7C%7C%7CApr+2009%7C%7C%7CJul+2009%7C%7C&chxs=0%2C443322ff%2C9.0%2C0.0&chm=v%2C443322ff%2C1%2C-1%2C1%7Ct+Daily+Unique+Visitors%2C676767ff%2C0%2C0%2C10%2C1%7Ct+Google+Trends%2C676767ff%2C0%2C6%2C10%2C1&chg=10.71%2C33.33%2C1.0%2C1.0%2C7.143

46. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

I'm happy the graph finally depicts that Hubpages is better then Squidoo for traffic.

~thranax~

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Although it also shows a fall in hubpages traffic despite 100,000 new hubs? Meaning much less traffic per hub?

47. forlan profile image60
    forlanposted 14 years ago

I make a poll abouts squidoo versus hubpages in lens. You can comment in my lens even you are not lensmaster

http://www.squidoo.com/hubpages-making

48. BundleBoy profile image70
    BundleBoyposted 14 years ago

When I joined back in April 09, Squidoo were ahead in traffic, but I knew hubpages would catch up (I even wrote a hub on it). The reason being the quality of content here and the awesome community that is more than willing to help.
    Squidoo allows a lot of affiliates and there is not real check on what goes on.

Way to go Hubbers!

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I write on both sites - and to be honest there's not that much difference between the two any more. Squidoo has tightened things up a lot (reducing number of links allowed, not allowing 'sex' sites etc.) Both sites have their pros and cons.

My preference is Hubpages at the moment, but I'm more inclined to think that creating 'sister' sites on both will benefit me more!

The community on Squidoo is similar to here - a lot of helpful people etc. There are more and more quality Lenses being created.

I realize that both sites are competitors, but the internet is a huge place and there's plenty of room for both!

1. BundleBoy profile image70
        BundleBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh SimeyC, I did not know those changes did take place in Squidoo. Good for them.

49. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I'll still vouche for my content doing MUCH better on HubPages. Even similar topics that do poorly on Squidoo do wonderful on HubPages.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which is why I prefer Hubpages - I get far more traffic here! I guess I use Squidoo to make 'beautiful' lenses, and then come to Hubpages to get 'real' and get some traffic!

50. lindagoffigan profile image56
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

Hubpage writers are responding to analytics that were posted two years ago.  It is great to compare Hubpage and Squidoo but in all fairness should not the initial posts be recents so that the current comments would be justifiable.  The leading post was initially posted two years ago and hubpage writers are commenting one minute and eighteen minutes ago.  This post will be recorded as a response seconds ago to an initial post two years ago.

It is apparent that responses are not alway immediately available to the posts, but current information on the hubpage facts and the squidoo facts should be issued for the real time comments.

1. profile image0
      BookFlameposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good point.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)