Young Lexi and her Granma Connie need our prayers! Need a miracle!

Jump to Last Post 501-548 of 548 discussions (845 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 10 years ago

Connie,
    Thank you for the update and continuing to share your and Lexi's life with us during this whole time of questions, wondering, thankfulness, etc.  You are all very inspiring to no end.  Peace and continued strength to you all.
    Love,
    Alise

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thinking of you all. Good thoughts coming your way and prayers from our lips to HIS ears.
      strength to you all
      zs

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Hi Connie. This must be a difficult time for you with another Christmas approaching. Please know that I am thinking of you ... always.

3. Connie Smith profile image82
    Connie Smithposted 10 years ago

This month is very hard for us for many reasons.  Lexi -- Alexis Noelle -- is a December baby.  She just passed her sixth birthday on December 5.  To watch her lay there and not be able to enjoy it for the past three years is extremely hard.  She can't even sit up but we laid with her and snuggled with her all day.  She lost her first tooth, a bottom one, on her birthday too.  One of her nurses pulled it because we were afraid it would come out and she would swallow it.  Now, there is another one loose on the top. 

I had a moment last week at Toys R Us.  It wasn't just about Lexi, though it started out like that when I saw the cutest little princess dresses to play dress-up in.  She would have worn hers out!  As a two year old at Walmart, instead of crying for toys, she was saying "Shoes! Shoes!"  She has always been our little diva princess.

After I worked through the heartache of the princess dresses, I just got very sad about all the little kids who weren't able to have toys this year, whether sick or just having parents who can't or won't do for their children.  It was a bit overwhelming.

Lexi and I have been doing a lot of snuggling and she is STILL communicating with me in her own way.  She will make little noises in her throat when I come around and if I lay beside her, she will arch towards me.  How amazing is that for a little girl who has cheated death over and over? 

We haven't had an MRI since last June and I guess we won't be having any more though I would love to see what is happening in there.  She is doing very well under the circumstances.  She takes Tylenol and Prilosec and a few breathing treatments.  She is not on heavy duty meds and though some days she breathes better than others, she was doing very well with the lowest amount of oxygen that our machine delivers. 

My daughter has been feeling very bad about keeping her alive on the vent, but we've been through that before.  She has a "Do not Resuscitate" order in place but she was already back on the ventilator.  She was given the six weeks last March or so and though she doesn't see the doctor any more, the doctor stays in touch with my daughter.  Yes, she is a bit amazed at Lexi's still being with us considering that she said in June that the tumor had all but taken over Lexi's brain.

Still, as I said, I feel Lexi in there and I know, without a doubt, that she know who I am.  She responds to me differently than the others.  Of course, I have been taking care of her since she was six months old.  I thank God all the time that I decided to take a year or two off to watch my grandkids while they were little and couldn't talk.  I read too many horror stories!  Otherwise, I would have missed having this strong bond with her.  People kept telling me to get a life, but I do not regret one moment of it then or since Lexi's illness.  I just regret that she hasn't been able to enjoy her little life like she should have.

Here is a picture of her on her birthday:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8572812_f248.jpg

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if it is true or not, Connie, but I have heard enough people say they were out of their bodies and looking down on their hospital beds to wonder if it might be possible. If so, I have no doubt that Lexi appreciates every little gesture you make.

It would be very cool if she could see the costumes and the cuddles and all the kisses. It is wonderful how you continue to celebrate events with her. 

It must be easy to imagine how she would participate had things gone differently. Yes, you did the right thing spending time with her when she was tiny and really getting to know her, and letting her know you.

Those memories and that bond are so special. How lucky little Lexi is to be so loved.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

How very sad.  I am so sorry you and your family are going though all this trouble.  I wish for you the best outcome, and I send light and love and healing thoughts for her.

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 10 years ago

Hiya Connie,   last week a little tot with an oxygen mask strapped to her was being  pushed around at 'Toysrus'. All I could see of her were these enormous eyes staring at everything with wonder.  This made me think of your little cherub and made me very sad.
    You all are in my thoughts everyday and I wish it could be for happier reasons.
    Wishing, hoping and praying that you all find a little peace in your hearts
    zs

6. profile image0

Dear Connie,
    Wishing you God's peace and love during this time. I am sure Lexi is aware of all the love you are pouring on her and loves you back with all her (big) little heart.

7. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thinking of your family as we enter the new year. Hugs.

8. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

Just checking in Connie to give you a ((hug)) Thinking about you and Lexi.

9. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

I was just thinking of you all and thought I would send some good thoughts your way.
    Giant Panda sized bear hugs for Lexi and good wishes to you and the rest of your gang.

regards Zsuzsy

10. Connie Smith profile image82

Sorry everyone.  I hadn't realized that it has been so long since I posted.  There isn't really anything new to say.  Lexi is still hanging in there and, as far as we can tell, hasn't deteriorated in any way.  She hasn't had an MRI since the last one in May or June right before the doctor said it was time to stop all treatments.  They don't want to give her any more MRIs because she has to be sedated for them and that could make things worse, I guess.  My argument to that is that she doesn't move.  She does cough sometimes so I guess I get it but it is very frustrating not knowing what is going on and she can't tell us.  She moves sometimes to lean in to me to let me know she wants me to cuddle with her.  That is the only way I know she still knows me and that her condition doesn't seem to have changed much.

Though she occasionally has to be on a higher level of oxygen, she is pretty stable there as well.  We are still keeping her bundled up as her temperature still fluctuates a little too much. 

We are spending a lot of time with her.  We changed her nursing hours so that we had more quality time with her and cancelled a couple of days of nursing.  I also work one overnight shift with her a week instead of having a nurse.  We are starting a few shifts back up now as my daughter, Kara, started working with a diet supplement company called IT WORKS.  It is one of those party type businesses that you go up the ladder by getting others to join under you. She can also sell through a web site as well, but they seem more intent on their people getting more people than actually selling the stuff...It is helping to keep her mind off of things so I have really encouraged her.  She hasn't made any money yet, but she is all excited about it.  She is getting out and meeting people and that can only be good for her.

I also have started back to work.  I have been a real estate agent since 2003.  I never really left my office but took time off (for several years...) and am trying to make some money before we go down the tubes. I've sold one condo (back in November) and have an offer on the table now.  I also am trying to work with an old associate who is doing pretty well right now so that I can get back to business.  Kara and I do need to make money but we also need to get back to work for ourselves for when Lexi goes. 

I have really been writing some articles in my head and hoping to get going with that again.  Do any of you do that?  I was just being pulled in a lot of different directions with Lexi, doing my share and more with her and also dealing with my other grandchildren.  My other daughter finally moved out with my 8 and 4 year old grandsons. Though I miss them, it was just too chaotic around here and I am more and more feeling the need for peace and the ability to do what I want to do.  It sounds selfish but it is really hard to have creative goals when kids are running around the house.  Now I have a little time to myself and, of course, still haven't done anything but those articles in my head....

Thanks to you all for sticking with us.  As always, I appreciate you and you will never know the comfort you all have given me, especially in those dark days right after Lexi's stroke.  Back then, I felt pretty alone and you were all I had to keep me going.  Words can not express how much it meant to me.

This photo was taken overnight last Friday when it was just me and her hanging out together.  I will always cherish those moments.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8675182_f248.jpg

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update. I think of Lexi and you often. Sending hugs and prayers.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Connie, God has something special in mind for Lexi, and he will see her through whatever she needs to get through. 
      I am saying prayers for you.
      About your writing, yes I have so many stories inside my head I think will leak out my ears.  My hubby just bought me a DV8 it is a recorder that I can record whatever and e-mail it to my computer.  When I get use to using it I will carry it with me and when an idea hits, I am ready.
      Lexi, trust God, He knows what he is doing.
      God bless you and your beautifuf granddaughter
      Shyron.

11. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Thank you Connie for the update. Same as Habee I'm thinking of you and the little cherub often.
    Prayers and good thought coming your way
    zs

12. profile image0

Thank you for the update, Connie.  Lexi looks precious; I am glad she still has some way of letting you know she is still with you.  I am also glad that you are able to have some more peace in your physical surroundings. Continued blessings to you.

13. LongTimeMother profile image92

Hi Connie. Are they serious about suggesting sedation during an MRI? I know an MRI can be noisy, but is that likely to stimulate Lexi enough to move?

Like you, I'm certainly wondering what's going on inside her body. Seems the doctor's prognosis was far from the mark. Perhaps it might be worth considering the sedation just to gather some facts, but I'm a long way removed and it is easy to ponder from a distance.

Hope you get some good sales through quickly. I fully appreciate that looking after Lexi comes with a price. I greatly admire your efforts. smile

14. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

Lexi is so beautiful, I can totally visualize that special moment with Grandma. I always think of, and pray for all of you.

And Connie, I know what you mean about the little ones running underfoot. I have my 5 year old grandson here for about 5 days a week now, and when he's here, I don't plan on getting any work done lol. It's pretty much all his time, which I gladly live because I know, like you, that those moments are the ones that really matter. BUT, now that you have more time, being creative and writing would be a good outlet for you my friend, that and creating some beautiful art. ((hugs)) -Dorsi

15. luvtoowrite profile image41
    luvtoowriteposted 10 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Lexi, She is in my thoughts and prayers

16. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Just got home and came to check. I always take no news as great news...

Couldn't keep Lexi out of my mind everyday that I was away from the computer. As always prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Giant grizzly bear sized hugs for the cherub
    zs

17. Connie Smith profile image82

Hi all...thanks for hanging in there with us.  Things are pretty much the same as the last time we checked in.  Lexi is doing very well under the circumstances.  She is still having trouble regulating her temperature so she now has quite the hat and blanket collection from people sending them to her.  She recently got several more from the Level Green Church in Keavey, Kentucky.  Keavey holds a special place in my heart as the final resting place for my husband in Locust Grove Cemetery.  It was an emotional gift. 

Lexi has been needing quite a bit more oxygen than before so that is different.  Can you believe that the medical supply company, Univita, who supplies the oxygen actually instituted a limit on how many oxygen tanks can be replaced at once?  Lexi has a machine but she also has tanks for emergencies and for times when the manufactured oxygen just doesn't get it for her.  She has had ten tanks for over two years for situations.  Several days ago, she went through two tanks just between 9 am and Noon.  When we reordered, we had nine empties and they brought us FOUR -- their limit.  As you can imagine, that didn't work for me, not only for Lexi who has people to stand up for her but also because of all the other people out there who might be going without enough, worried about trying to conserve until they could get a delivery on Monday (they don't deliver on the weekends...)  Needless to say, they called to apologize and let us know we were scheduled for a Saturday delivery after a complaint to the state Agency for Healthcare Administration.  Hoping no one else has suffered this weekend due to a silly rule where some warehouse manager is deciding how much oxygen the users in Florida need on a daily basis instead of medical professionals.  It is seriously a never ending battle!  I never cease to be amazed by how incompetent so many people are who work in various capacities in the medical industry.  Of course, we've always thanked God for the many other people who are dedicated professionals and who have given Lexi excellent care.  We try not to lose sight of that in our weariness over the fight.

Lexi got a new puppy!  Well...it belongs to both Lexi and her brother.  Mystery is a rescued puppy whose origins and lineage we did not know when we got her.  Because of her mysterious past, we named her Mystery.  Now we know a little more.  She is a little southern belle from Walker County, Alabama, that was sent to the Suncoast Animal Rescue here in Tampa Bay.  The vet thinks she is part Lab and part terrier.  She is pretty good with Lexi and likes to lay with her.  Of course, we have to watch closely as she has already chewed a cord on one of Lexi's machines...here are a few pictures of Lexi with her new pup: 
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8784408_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8784409_f248.jpg

1. RonHawk profile image62
      RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful image of two angelic beings side by side.  Miracles are real.

18. LongTimeMother profile image92

A puppy! That's brilliant!  I didn't realize Lexi has a brother. What's his name? Please send him my regards from the land down under. smile

19. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Hiya Connie. Thanks for the update. Lexi looks great. What a great idea about the pup. Both children can benefit from that kind of lovin'.
    You're all in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Hugs and smooches to Lexi

zs

20. profile image0

What sweet pictures of Lexi and Mystery! Thank you for the update, Connie. Keeping you all in my prayers.

21. cecileportilla profile image70
    cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

So sorry to hear about Lexi. Connie we are praying with you!

22. Connie Smith profile image82

My heart is breaking as I write to let you all know that my darling Lexi has passed away this evening, March 9, 2014, at 11:23 pm.  What a coincidence that she passed away on the four year anniversary of her brain tumor diagnosis that occurred on March 9, 2010.  There was a time when I felt all alone in my grief over Lexi and her illness, especially during those long nights that Lexi and I spent at the hospital during her many stays.  I was so lost and afraid for her.  Reading the comments here gave me such great comfort, especially those from far away since I knew we were covering the globe with prayer and good vibes.  Thank you all for being there for me and Lexi.  Here is a picture from March 6 that I took.  She was just breath taking. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8801646_f248.jpg

1. cecileportilla profile image70
      cecileportillaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am so very sorry to hear about Lexi. I know that there are no words to really describe your pain. Please be comforted by the thought  that she is no longer in pain and is in the arms of God.

2. JamaGenee profile image79
      JamaGeneeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lexi was one brave little girl but at the risk of sounding trite, her "job" on Earth is done and she's gone to a much better place where she can run and laugh and do all the things she couldn't do here. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of her family in this time of profound sadness.
      Joanna (JamaGenee)

3. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

She is very beautiful. She's with God now. I'm sorry for your pain.

4. merej99 profile image73
      merej99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are no words....
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8804095_f248.jpg

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I give you my deepest sympathy.  Little, sweet angel is in heaven now.  I feel your deepest loss and give sympathy to Grandma Connie.

23. alison monroe profile image61
    alison monroeposted 10 years ago

I am so sorry.  To love and lose a child, that is hard.

24. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

Connie, I don't have any words that would be right right now - other than I'm so sorry.

25. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

So sorry, Connie.  She was a beautiful flower.  Know that she gave so much to so many in her short time here.  May your heart be at rest and comforted in this time.

26. LongTimeMother profile image92

Connie. I am so sorry. Love to you and the rest of your family.

27. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

May you and your family be comforted.

28. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

So sorry to hear this, Connie.  My feelings go out to you and your family.

29. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Oh, Connie, I am so sorry. I know it's no comfort now, but try to think about how many lives Lexi impacted. She touched an amazing number of lives while she was here.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree. Lexi's trials on Earth brought many people together in  such concerted efforts of compassion and support that faith in humankind was restored for some people participating and for those witnessing the several years of your strength, Connie & Kara & Family.

Lexi lived much longer than the medical cadre figured and by that, she did a miracle of outreach that brought people together. Her life was never wasted or lost; think of those she changed for the good as you grieve the loss of this child and important member of your family and humanity.  I am sorry that you have received this pain in your life and pray for comfort to surround you all.

30. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Oh Connie my dear friend, like you, I'm sure, I was still clinging and hoping for that miracle. There are no words that are going to be able to lessen the pain that you and your family are feeling right now.
    In my mind this little child was a miracle... she fought a gallant fight. Its amazing how many people she was able to pull together from every corner of the world. She will be missed, that's for sure.
    So very sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

zs

31. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

Connie, my sweet friend, my thoughts are with you and your family. I keep typing things then erasing them because words just don't sound right - I don't know what else to say right now except that I love you and pray for that peace from God that surpasses all understanding, and to say I am so so sorry Connie.

I cannot fathom your pain, every time I think of Lexi she reminds me of my own little grandson, they are so close in age. I cannot imagine losing him and what that would even feel like.

Lexi was an amazing little girl, I feel the reason she lived this long under these circumstances was because of the love you and your family had for her. That alone seems like a miracle to me, the power of love is so strong. I do believe that Lexis love will continue on in a different way now - I wish I could hug you my precious friend. ((hugs))
    -Dorsi

32. James A Watkins profile image84
    James A Watkinsposted 10 years ago

Connie, I am very sorry to hear this tragic news. I will pray for your comfort. God Bless You.

33. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Sending you and your family my deepest sympathy. Heaven has gained an angel.

34. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years ago

Sending my condolences and prayers to the family.

35. Jen's Solitude profile image85
    Jen's Solitudeposted 10 years ago

Oh Connie how my heart breaks for you. I always check for news when I am on line. Although I am off line the majority of the time my thoughts are still with you and I was always relieved to read about Lexi. Now my thoughts are with you for a different reason and I know that you will need time to move through this terrible grief. The grief never leaves but it does get easier to endure although it is impossible to imagine at this particular time. Please check in when you can. You gave Lexi's life meaning and purpose and I have no doubt that she lived as long as she did because of her special relationship with you. I am so sorry for your loss!

36. Connie Smith profile image82

I appreciate all of the condolences.  If you've ever had been through the death of a close family member, you will probably know that the last few days have been a blur of distractions.  Between the planning, the logistics of a mass exodus to Ohio for the funeral, people stopping by, phone calls and covering obligations here, these days have flown by.  I am numb right now but I know reality will set in after everything is over.  Lexi's visitation is taking place on Saturday at Newcomer's Funeral Home in Dayton, Ohio from 11 am to 1 pm with services at 1 pm.

1. RonHawk profile image62
      RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Connie,

A light has gone out.  Although she had too short of a life to experience what the majority have the opportunity to experience, in that short span she has touched many more lives than the majority will ever come close to touching.  I salute her for putting up the great fight, and I salute you for having shared with us all the tender moments of a precious little angel's stay on this Earth.  Thank you.  And you are right.  When I had my loss, the greater portion of the grief did not arrive until weeks later, and when it came it was a firestorm.  In the words of a fantastic writer:  "Sorrow comes in great waves...but rolls over us, and though it may almost smother us, it leaves us. And we know that if it is strong, we are stronger, inasmuch as it passes and we remain.”
      ― Henry James

1. Connie Smith profile image82
        Connie Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love this quote and so true.  Thanks for sharing it.

37. profile image0

Dear Connie,
    I am very saddened for the loss of your sweet Lexi. I pray YHVH's peace and strength to you through this difficult time. I pray you will be comforted by the thought that she is in a happier place, able to run and play and do everything else she could not while here.  She still loves you from afar, just as you still do her, too; please be comforted in that also.
    Love,
    Alise- Evon (Alise)

38. Connie Smith profile image82

Lexi was laid to rest last Saturday, March 15, 2014.  She was wearing a beautiful white dress and had a little tiara on her head, a beautiful princess to the end.  Forever more, she is our sleeping beauty.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yet she lives on in your memory, and in the memory of dozens, hundreds or thousands that followed her too-short life and struggle through your posts. 

Thank you.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Connie, I am saddened by your loss, and my heart aches for you. 
      I guess God needed Lexie for his Angel Choir. 
      So...when you hear the rush of Angel wings
      You will know your Angel Lexie sings
      I pray your grief you can release
      Because you know your Lexie is at Peace!

Shyron

39. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

You have to have the assurance that you did all you possibly could as a family. Your story of persistence and hope is very inspirational. I know you will keep her memory alive.  May you all find peace in knowing that your love is eternal.

40. LongTimeMother profile image92

Perfect. Lexi deserved that tiara. smile

41. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Connie and family - somehow I missed your sad update about Lexi's passing.  I'm so sorry for the tremendous loss and pain you are all suffering.  She was indeed beautiful, and had become our little beacon of strength here on the forum. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thank you for letting us share in this tender journey, and allowing us to know your little angel during the brief time she lit our world.

42. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thinking of you and your family, Connie. I know one month can be a very long time. Stay strong.

1. Connie Smith profile image82
      Connie Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for thinking of us.  Yes, we just passed the one month mark.  We don't go in Lexi's room much and have kept the door mostly closed.   At 11:23pm on Sunday night, I was sitting in Lexi's room just contemplating it all.  I stayed for a bit and then went to take a shower.  When I came out and passed Lexi's room, I just felt something was different.  I looked in and there was her mother, laying on Lexi's mat.  I left her there and she slept there all night.   

It is so amazing.  The first second, you don't think you will ever breathe again either and the next thing you know, a month has passed.  It does seem unreal in so many ways.  Since our lives have revolved around Lexi for so long, we are still doing those little things that make us sad -- like pulling up to the house and feeling excited to be home to see her or my daughter asking if I mind if she goes to the store...we forget for a minute.  Yesterday I went in her room for some Vaseline to put on my lips.  The mat was still down from Kara sleeping on it the other night and when I stepped on that softness, all those memories of a million times of walking in there just hit me in the face.  I actually turned around and looked down, expecting to see Lexi laying there.   

It is so quiet without the machines beeping constantly and our nurses coming in and out.  One nurse had a small container of fish sticks in the freezer and the other day Kara found them and said she's never been so sad to see fish sticks...all those little reminders of her.  Though she couldn't speak for so long, she was a major presence around here and we feel pretty empty without her.  Thanks so much for continuing to think of her.

43. LongTimeMother profile image92

I will always think of Lexi, long after you and I stop communicating on hp, Connie. I still remember and send thoughts to other youngsters who have crossed my path during their short lives. There is nothing more tragic than the loss of a child, and I doubt anyone who met Lexi on this page will forget her.

Please send my regards to Lexi's brother. It can't be easy for him.

44. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

I think about you frequently Connie and the sadness I know you are all feeling. Yes hard to believe it's been a month. You are in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

45. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Thinking of Lexi and your family, and thought you should know. Even though the posts have dwindled, I'm sure there are many who are still sending you their love. Take care.

46. Connie Smith profile image82
    Connie Smithposted 9 years ago

Thank you so much!  It means a lot to me that Lexi is not forgotten.  I miss her more than words can ever express.  I really loved taking care of her.  I am now trying to take care of myself.  I am on a self-improvement plan that includes walking and dieting so that I can be healthy.  There were many times during Lexi's illness that I just wanted to go with her but I did promise myself and Lexi that when she was gone, I would try to live.  By that, I don't mean I am or was suicidal but to take advantage of my opportunities.  I am a Cancer the Crab and have strong tendencies to just crawl into my shell and hide from the world.  I have to force myself to get out.  On Lexi's FB page, I have been posting a lot of pictures of her and talking about them.  That helps a little but as a mother, I am sure you know we are devastated and always will be.  We are hoping to start a charity called Lexi's Friends.  Her mother wants to be able to help other children by providing interim physical and speech therapy and some supplies that aren't covered by insurance -- like the $50 in eye drops we needed weekly since Lexi couldn't blink.  I recently joined a FB group of other parents whose children have ependymoma.  I can't get involved with any particular child's illness right now as my emotions are still too fragile, but I do hope that some of our experiences help others be able to make the right decisions for their children.  We do want Lexi to be remembered and do not want her to have lived in vain.  If we can help others, that is not a bad legacy for our baby girl. This picture is Lexi on her last birthday, last December 5, 2013.  She was a princess and this is how I picture her now.  She was buried in a beautiful white dress and, of course, wearing a tiara. She was a little princess to the end.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8977944_f248.jpg

47. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 9 years ago

I am glad you are finding ways to channel your energy toward taking care of yourself and finding ways to reach out to other families with special needs as they care for their little ones so Lexi will not have lived in vain. Even if you weren't, though, Lexi didn't live her life in vain.  How much she has taught us about living, and loving, and resilience, and patience, and fighting, and dying, and so much more...
    God bless you on your continuing life's journey.

48. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hi Connie. I do hope you'll put a link here to the charity when it is set up. One of Lexi's friends in Australia would be happy to make a donation to honour her. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)