Read What This Guy Says About Hubpages on Xomba

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

You need to read these negative comments about Hubpages. If you are a member of Xomba, please comment on his article.

http://www.xomba.com/dangers_content_farms

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks like the writer is writing about his own work!

Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point.

2. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a somewhat inactive member on Xomba.  I don't do much on there.   I actually have a couple of kind-of-good earners on there in spite of my lack of activity.

First, the guy who wrote that seems to misinterpreted what "elite" means on HubPages - so that's one thing.

Second, he appears to think because he got an "A" in English that's enough.  If he really cared about his writing, the way he'd like people to think he does; he wouldn't give up so easily.  He wouldn't worry about the search engines.  He'd also learn more about the whole online writing process and picture.  In other words, he gave up so easily it would lead one to think he isn't committed to writing the way he thinks he is; and he's way too think skinned and way to looking to blame everyone and everything else for his own lack of traffic or earnings.

It looks to me like this guy is feeling bad for himself and seeing himself a big victim. 

Having said that, I think, in ways, he's right about not feeling very motivated to write "the height of excellence and professionalism" online.  The thing is, though, that someone who comes up with good writing/good Hubs can find that his writing does earn.  As with so many things in life, it does take work, patience, and time.  Nobody's going get "Big Bucks" a week after posting 3 articles online.

I suspect that guy isn't feeling very comfortable to know that his kind of "content-farm" articles are now notoriously being "slapped"; and I think he's justifying the fact that that's what he's been writing to himself and anyone who associates his "farmer" articles with his name. I suspect he's also angry that his earnings have probably been knocked way down.

The thing on Xomba is essentially a rant (but not an openly angry, venting, one).  It's a rant disguised as a victim's story.  He has some points, and he's playing them to the hilt; but he hasn't told the whole story (or experienced it, maybe and in fairness to him) with his rant.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If HP Team has chosen to assign a proprietary meaning to the word "elite", this does not mean that the rest of the world have any idea about it. This is not the first time it bites them in the back, and I think not the last either. big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image60

I'm not sure it really bit them back.  To me, the point was that this individual showed how unfamiliar with HP he is (otherwise he'd have known what "elite" means on here).  To me, his reference to "elite" just gives off a sign that he doesn't know much about HubPages or how things work - and yet he feels free to drag HP's name into his rant.

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, absolutely, I think that's the human nature. The less we know about something, the more we tend to bash it, so this guy is hardly unique in that smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I only relised what the elite meant (via a post by frogs) today.

Its just one of those things that never bothered me ,then it got my attention ,then it didnt bother me again.

Like school days I guess,some got to wear the Monitor badge,some didnt ,even though the majority of us were all worthy smile

2. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I don't know Misha. A giant squid is intimidating. Any people set apart are going to be intimidating to some people.

1. Misha profile image63

True dat. But two wrongs don't make right, do they? smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This person does have a point though. As a writer - it is frustrating to spend hours on an article, and then have no one come and read it - yet some spin doctor garbage advertorial on the Wall Street Journal gets read millions of times.

I have even had one of my websites blocked in the Middle East for telling the truth about the financial mess there and the amount of people getting ripped off buying property that will be worth a tenth of what they paid for it. I get an email from a pal of mine in Saudi telling me he cannot get to my site any more because the Government Inc blocked it.

Now I write about stuff that makes money instead. Very frustrating. sad

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Why are you giving this person a backlink to his/her article?

Now, you've helped them via Hubpages, when doing nothing was actually better. You brought attention to it also, which mean, even if people don't comment in this forum, they might actually follow the link and give the article traffic. hmm

I hadn't really thought about the traffic he gets from it. Sorry about that. It just made me angry.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you want, just copy the address and delete the link.

I'm not sure how to edit a question once I posted it.

1. bgamall profile image68
            bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Click on the word more and other options will open up.

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

But everyone who has copied the original comment is also perpetuating the backlink - or adding more?  If the comments can still be edited, it would be nice to break the links.

EDIT:  Ah, Cagsil, I see that you noticed and did it at the same time I posted this.  Good for you!

4. Cagsil profile image70

And, now there are three links in this forum, back to the article. hmm

5. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I forgot, Cags!  Deleted it!  smile

6. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Lisa,

I take it you didn't read the thread before you posted? hmm

None of this stuff was on here when I started reading and writing, and I didn't check back to see what else showed up.  The thread was pretty still when I saw it.  The link thing did occur to me, but - I don';t know - sometimes I don't want to be worried about whether someone gets my measly click.  Worse than that has been given much followed links on the forums here.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just thought I would ask. hmm

No harm in that.  I suppose if I'd seen the posts that were showing up while I was writing (and I should have looked), I may not have bothered.  It just looked empty, and I couldn't resist.   smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not just your measly click, Lisa.  You've given him a backlink, which is many times more valuable.

It's still not anything I feel like worrying about, though.  When I'm on the Internet I'm pretty much only on here, shopping, checking my e.mails, or maybe doing (the dreaded) rating on you-know-where.  lol  Occasionally, I'll go do something with some profile I have set up somewhere but usually ignore.  Once in awhile I'll venture off HubPages and click a link that shows up in the forums.  lol    I don't mean to make light of what some people would frown on, but sometimes a person has to "go a little wild" and click the occasional link that kind of interests me.  lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But what you do on the internet is totally irrelevant to the point, Lisa.

Google judges the value of a site (or page like this one) by the number of other sites which link TO it.

Every time you link to a site, you are raising its reputation in Google's eyes.  Therefore, by reproducing the link to that guy's Xomba post in your reply, you're giving him a benefit.

The OP shouldn't have provided a live backlink and you may not realize you reposted it?

7. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

It is clear that the guy who wrote this is not so well informed, however, it may be representative of how a newbie could view this site. 

There is some truth in the number of perfectly written totally bland and not very informative content on hubpages, and this applies to a proportion of the 'top' writers stuff which is pure extended advertising.  I hasten to add - not all, or even a majority - but certainly a significant percentage.  There could even be a good argument for this kind of writing as a form of advertising. 

The main point the newb raised was about wrting, as in writing for writing sake, and who would especially bother with that on a money making site anyway?

8. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

Let me put my hand on my chest, take a deep breath and say : "What that chap said is not totally out of place".

9. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Have to agree - there is a grain of truth there. However, content farms are only a symptom of the underlying problem. The search engines lie at the root, and they changed the nature of writing with the emphasis towards money above all else.

It is a long time since I wrote for pleasure or because I had something to say, rather than attracting search engine hits. sad

10. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Elite or non-elite, many members attack on newbies when they post threads for help. I'm not surprised if anyone thinks some elites appear negative in tone. I do see some negativity from even non-elites on forums when hubbers ask for help or want to take burden off. Take a look at recent negative attack on personal writing on hubpages. If personal opinion is banned here then please stop sharing personal success stories on blog. I'm sure hub-hopping from these type of people affects some good content. Remove the "personal" variable from this site and all that you can get here is MFA site. By the way, ranting is not allowed on xomba. I got my account blocked for ranting religious stuff. I'm damn sure if this person continues to do that again then surely he'll receive ban in next few weeks.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1

I don't get why the HP team is coming down so hard on "personal" hubs - surely they've got enough real crap to weed out?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think when it all comes  down to it Empress ,HP has to bow to Goggle ,just like everyone else has to lol

Just so happens the people with the most money call the shots-bit like Government 'init smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)