Hubpages Changes vs Other Sites Changes

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (98 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 13 years ago

You know...I have been reading the forums more than usual lately, partially to keep up with the PANDA-moan-ium and partly to see what changes are being made that may have an effect on my articles.

You can take this or leave it...but at least read it. I work as a freelance writer for several clients, as well as Hubpages and having my own blogs. Every single client I have is reeling from Panda and making HUGE sweeping changes in order to come into compliance.

EVERY single client that I have is having its top writers rewrite articles that have been around 3 or 4 years. This month alone I have done well more than 30 rewrites on other sites, not even my own work but work by other writers that used to be considered top notch and is now considered low quality.

Now, if sites that hire only professional writers are having to scramble, you have to figure that Hubpages, where a large percentage of the population are not professional writers, will have to scramble as much or more to sift through content and make changes.

Any writer can tell you that there is very little writing that is done that isn't edited before it is published even when you are talking about writers with their work on the NY Times bestseller list.

It seems a little silly to assume that Hubpages is trying to keep people from making money when their own income is based on what the writers here make.If they are making 40% of what you make then they want you to make A LOT, I guarantee it.

Sadly, making money takes work. It is the way it is. If you want to write and publish whatever you want, however you want you can get free blog space on several venues.

I guess the rambling is just to say that it isn't just Hubpages... it is nearly every site that I know of INCLUDING the giants like About.com and LoveToKnow.com, Planet Green, and others... Every site that has writers that write articles has been subject to this change and is in the midst of tightening quality on their sites. Don't take it personally. Except with Simone. Because I have it on good authority that she drowns puppies in her spare time and pulls the wings off butterflies.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aww...not Simone.

So is the problem ultimately that all the writing sites rely on google for income?  Was google traditionally the easiest to monitize from?
      Seems google is not very popular at the moment - could they be at risk of going under? 
      Do you have your own websites with different income sources?

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google is where most of the income on the internet comes from other than private income sources like selling your own ebooks and such. They pretty much ruled it..so no matter how big a site is they have to make sure that their material is going to make google happy... or they are out of business. If the average income loss was, as I believe, about 60% average on all income producing content sites..then imagine what a company that has been making 40K a month is feeling like right now
        Yes I do.

1. profile image0

with your own sites, they were earning mostly from google too?  Or do they survive okay with other affiliates?

1. profile image0

I have never made that much with google with my other sites..maybe 30 a month .... I make more money with them using publishers programs like BlogHER... and FoodBuzz, etc that pay per visit to the page not per click.

1. profile image0

I'm thinking about having a website and I'm keen to monetize it.  Trying to figure out whether it would be a worthwhile exercise or not.

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not happening.

2. Glamorously Jacob profile image60
      Glamorously Jacobposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing! Hopefully your insights will help some of these folks simmer down and get down to business. People, we've got work to do!

Make it work! -- Tim Gunn

3. FaithDream profile image78
      FaithDreamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please.. please not the butterflies Simone. smile
      Thanks for the insight Marye, appreciate your perspective on this.

4. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting comment Marye because you are in a totally different part of the market than I - hubpages is about as good as my writing gets ie not very, in terms of getting published or acting as a freelance writer.

As far as my income is concerned though - my own sites -which are predominantly full of articles for which I paid less than 1c a word for -  so you can guess the quality - are doing as well or better as they ever have.

Panda seems to have been very much directed at large general sites - small niche sites are doing well.

1. profile image0

Lissie, I think that is exactly it. The big money makers have been hurt the most. Interesting that many of these have had certain rules about keyword saturation and stuff. I am thinking that google doesn't like formulas so once you figure out their formula they  change it!

5. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On Hubpages I am not a professional writer. I am one on Business Insider however. It is all about the neighborhood and Google determines the neighborhood. So called "professional" writing can get disseminated through many websites. It is very unfortunate that Google is such a T*rd.

6. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said.
      Thank you smile
      This is good for us to know. It should calm many nerves (i sincerely hope).

7. Dilnashi profile image60
      Dilnashiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, that was dumb! Spamming your unrelated hub into a discussion, quoting a huge block of text just brings attention to the fact that your hub is spun and over optimized.

Whatever Spam school your attending should have taught you to stay under tha radar better.

(response to removed post from Spam account Dilnashi who has been able to submit 3 new Spam hubs in 3 days while the existing users are henpecked for pixelated images et al) baby, bathwater

2. Garrett Mickley profile image77
        Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What's with the Simone hate? Did I miss something?

1. profile image0
          Marye Audetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you read SImone's post she said she drowned puppies in her spare time...because she has gotten a bit of flack recently, as have all the Hubpages team..I was merely continuing the theme, tongue in cheek

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
            Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I missed that one.  Thanks!

3. Thriller profile image61
        Thrillerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People just don't get it. The Panda update has nothing to do with quality otherwise so many top quality Hubs or articles on other sites just cannot tank this bad. Google got it wrong this time round. It couldn't pick out the bad Hubs from the good ones so it just punished all. I think no amount Editorial guidelines or screening is going to get things back to normal unless Google itself decides to make amends.

4. Pamela Sarzana profile image60
        Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha Ha that's funny...the puppie drowning...Butterfly wing- pulling...cute...I'm reading.. trying to stay informed.....I love the humor.

8. carpesomediem profile image60
      carpesomediemposted 13 years ago

Thank you, Marye.  That is all.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Thanks Mayre. It is good to hear your perspective. I was hoping to hear from prolific writers who don't frequent the forums often.
      Any insight you have, I'm sure many of us would like to hear.

10. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

With Simone, you could just tell - she's too "purty". . .as we Southern boys say about purty gurls.

I'm just not going to publish anything else until staff is done finding chinks or kinks, or whatever it is. .. .uh, in my "armor."

11. Peggy W profile image94
      Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

Thanks Marye.  This makes sense to me.  It will simply force us to become better writers which is OK with me.  Life is a learning curve afterall. 

Now as to Simone...ooh...that's SCARY!  Haha!

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

I have no problem whatsoever with fostering high-quality writing and encouraging writers to improve.  What I do have a problem with is outside interference into the affairs of a private corporation (or multiple corporations) by another corporation.

IMO--Google has just gotten too big for its britches!  I did a search yesterday, and had to scroll through several screens to get to the end of the list of all the search engines available to use!
      Some, if not many of them have been around since well before Google arrived on the scene.  In the total "public internet timeline," Google is a 'johnny-come-lately!' 
      How did they get so big and so all-powerful so fast, eclipsing much older search engines?
      Why, by the "good-old" American Way:  they bought them out!  Some of them still exist, but only nominally--Google apparently bought the rights to use their names, as well, so many had the notation, "run by Google" or "run by Yahoo" (the second-biggest, apparently), next to their names.
      How do you increase the power of a dictator?  Why, you bow down and accede to its demands!  If enough publishing sites were to tell the Google execs to go perform an anatomically impossible feat, perhaps they would tone down their demands and stop mucking about with their algorithms!

13. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 13 years ago

Certainly Google has the right idea and if they use their power wisely, then they can have a benign effect on the internet.  Raising quality harms no one, except the lazy, dishonest and frankly, crap writers.

However, whether that is what will eventually materialize in pratice is difficult to predict at the moment.

I can get a little tired of the moaning to be honest.  I don't think Hubpages has reacted at all badly to the changes.  They have been sensible and proactive as far as I can see.  (They have maybe been over-reliant on software and hubbers to oversee the site content in the past, but I understand that they are taking measures to change that)

My only problem is with that Simone who has been squirting water in the eyes of kittens, I heard.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Wisely" is the keyword... pun intended...

2. RedElf profile image89
        RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, no! Puppies and butterflies were bad enough, but now kitties??? Oh, Simone sad

I am devastated sad

14. Peggy W profile image94
      Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

And don't forget Simone's collection of knives.  I tell you...it is downright scary!

15. slock62 profile image59
      slock62posted 13 years ago

Everyone keeps making noise about "changes", and no one is offering any sources that help learn these new rules.
      Could someone please enlighten those of us who are in the dark? Thanks

1. profile image0
        1. GoingOnline profile image60
          GoingOnlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, at least there's a really comprehensive list of changes and things seem to be done. I write for other sites that are still on the "We are thinking that maybe we should considering thinking about making some changes to recover some of that 90% traffic we lost".
          Well, I used to write there at least.

16. Ritsos profile image39
      Ritsosposted 13 years ago

If material that has previously been considered quality and was written by professionals is getting hit by google, that indicates that other material has risen above them.

From what you've said, that presumably means material written by 'inferior' writers which totally contradicts what google is supposedly trying to do

doesn't it?

1. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One would think that if an article was high quality, then it is high quality period? But that is Google's challenge - deciding what is quality and then getting that content to the top

2. profile image0

Not necessarily.  As an editor I have seen some pretty crappy articles written by professionals.

17. BobbiRant profile image60
      BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Yes, Google has good intentions, and is not looking out for their own purses.  Sure, sure, sure.

1. Mutiny92 profile image66
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

But, Google said that they didn't target their competitor:
        http://spinport.com/google-denies-targe … or/315688/

Google also said that they don't give preference to their own sites:
        http://spinport.com/harvard-researcher- … €/314337/

Do you ever see funky Youtube videos posted at the top of the page?  Since Google owns Youtube, it is just a coincidence if the rank above other articles.

There is no correlation that Amazon benefited nicely from Panda and John Doerr (Google's Board of Directors) was an Amazon.com director.

Or that Ann Mather was a director for Zappos - which got bought out by Amazon - is also a Director

Just a coincidence...

Conspiracy theories at their best!  smile

18. codehub profile image58
      codehubposted 12 years ago

Is it still possible to develop traffic levels of 1000s pageview/day on hubpages?

I had been hoping to develop my hubpages traffic as my own sites where doing pretty poorly, now,the penalties suffered by hubpages articles across the board is pretty remarkable and does make this plan  problematic.

The hardest hit are definitely the light weight articles ,for me anyway.

1. profile image0

Today at 2 pm CST I am showing 3200 page views...so yeah..I think it is.

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exciting, inspiring, hope-inducing.

But CST??  Did you mean CDT? or is there some pocket that I'm not aware of?  Part of Indiana, perhaps?

1. profile image0

Umm..Texas.. CST CDT...whatever. big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image79
              Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry sad smile - not meaning to be a prune.  I was just curious because at one time, just a few years ago, I had relatives in Hawaii, Arizona, and Indiana - the only three states at the time that did not observe Daylight Saving Time.  Indiana has changed since then, but it has always been idiosyncratic about time zones.  I was/am just interested.

Yes, I do understand about the change in your traffic and, no, that is not good. The inspiring part was that you were answering the question "Is it still possible to develop traffic levels of 1000s pageview/day on hubpages?" and so your response - in the context of the bleak current traffic situation - was encouraging to those of us with far less traffic than you have.  I hope yours will return.  And soon.

2. profile image0

and while that sounds good... in January my average page views were betweem 7,000 and 8,000 per day... hmm

1. Pearldiver profile image66
              Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is something quite distasteful about 'Gloating!'

And I was starting think that I, as an Experienced Writer like yourself Marye, should be quite concerned by my current traffic level that has now been reduced down to the Absolutely Disgusting Level of 37 views per day here?

How Do you explain this HubPages?
              Is it because I spend too much time chasing stolen content around the Net, or because my work is Crap?
              Is it because I don't know what I'm doing after 2 years?
              Is it because my links keep getting switched off?

These are just a few things that I was worrying about!

And Now with all those helpful Gloatingly presented opinions.. from our Marketing Manager and a Marketed Hubber.. Well, You Know...
              Now I feel like my 260 views for a week here is Just Fantastic and that I shouldn't be concerned and that I shouldn't compare HP to any vastly inferior sites traffic-wise, or otherwise!

Even though those vastly inferior sites give me an average of 4500 content views for each of the weeks since the 'Internet Meltdown!'

How do you think MY HP views compare with the Average Hubber here... Well.... You Know... The ones that don't get promoted on the front page, or don't have as much experience or as many hubs as me? hmm

Can You Explain to me How Come.. With Only 37 Views per day on My Hubs Here... How Come my Hubber Score is always Above 95?
              Would the Quality of my Work have any Bearing on that? hmm

Appreciate your Genuine and Honest Answers on this post...
              Oh yeah.. and Marye.. thank you for the ability to Measure the Imbalance here! smile

1. profile image0

Gloating? I was not gloating. I was letting people know that it is still possible.  I don't see my work promoted any more than anyone else's...and I don't think I have any special dispensations or privileges. I literally work 12 to 18 hours a day and usually 6 or 7 days a week to get the results I have. If that is privilege and favoritism ...well you can have it..I would much rather be playing Monopoly with the kids.

I am totally dependent on my income from my writing. I have 6 kids at home..and they are not inexpensive to support.

My Income from google, amazon, and ebay combined has dropped from $2000.00 to about $400.00... Since that was a large percentage of my income well..lets just say I am not as comfortable financially as I was three months ago.

I was merely trying to encourage others that are struggling as well. You can choose to look at the negative side or the positive. I prefer to stay positive.

Dripping sarcasm does not benefit anyone. I am sorry if I offended anyone or made them feel badly it was not my intent. People have been asking for honest answers and I have tried to do that in a humble way.

2. Lissie profile image76
                Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marye has over 600 hubs - you have 55
                Every hub Marye has is a commercial topic that people who are searching in Google may be looking for
                Many of you hubs are personal or poetry or humour - not topics that buyers search for...

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mayre, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that you have a prominent spot on HP's home page, most of us don't have that opportunity.

1. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps she earned that spot.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
              Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps.  But even so, it still makes statements like ' I don't see my work promoted any more than anyone else's...and I don't think I have any special dispensations or privileges.' appear as either naive, or dishonest.  When she's been one of only a select few, who have been promoted on the HP frontpage, for at least a couple of months.

1. profile image0

Sorry.. I never look at the front page so I don't know. However, I can tell you where my traffic comes from and very very little of it comes from hub pages...most is from Google. Most Hubpages traffic does not result in income. 
                I apologize again if anything I said was less than encouraging...I only meant to encourage those that had not been here long.
                Thanks for reminding me why I stay off the forums so much. big_smile

LOL, well, I didn't really intend to attack you, in any way.  I was just clearing up a discrepancy.  But staying off of the forums, is probably a wise move. big_smile

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
                Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

. . .but I think the person in question has been on the front page based on Adsense or total income, and the fact that she's been here for a long time, if not from near the beginning of this website.

Yes, I believe it was total income since joining.  Although I can't quite remember.  But they were certainly hand-picked, essentially to make HP look good.  Which isn't something that I have a problem with, as long as we're all aware, that it is, what it is.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quite, who would you feature?  Those who perform the best, or those who are mediocre?

Who I would, or wouldn't choose, is not what we were discussing.  But that those featured were chosen by HP staff, not an algorithm, as you seemed to be suggesting.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...and how many people (except other Hubbers) do you think see that page?

As you should know, your paying visitors are not people who arrive at "HubPages.com" and browse around.  They're people who find your Hub on Google and go straight there.

Being on the front page gives you an extra backlink and that's about it. It will get you extra traffic from other Hubbers but no money.

I'm not sure where I said that it would increase earnings in any way, shape, or form?  Perhaps you could point me to where I did?

I suspect though that the frontpage still receives a significant amount of traffic (but could be wrong), from HP's own promotion of this site, etc.  Which still counts as additional promotion.

And I'm not even suggesting that it was/is unfair, or that those chosen didn't deserve it.  I was merely (and fruitlessly) arguing a point.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

The wording of this post said to me that you did consider it "unfair".  Maybe I misinterpreted it.
                    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74281?p … ost1614709

I suspect Marye is like me - as a long-time Hubber, she doesn't even notice the featured Hubber section.  In the old days, it was an algorithm thing, determined by Hubber Score. I hadn't noticed it had changed because I have a blind spot for all that stuff now, it's irrelevant - I just log in and get to work.

So to call Marye dishonest in discounting the front page is unfair.

I believe that I said 'naive, or dishonest'.  But perhaps naive wasn't the right word either.  Simply 'mistaken'.

And the post by myself you point to, was in response to psycheskinner.  Not Marye.

19. codehub profile image58
      codehubposted 12 years ago

boy o boy, your traffic for 2 days is more traffic than i've had since joining hubpages, remarkable

20. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

OK--Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I came up with the REAL problem!

It is the number of pages (screens) of so-called "results"

"1st 25 of 6,598,600 results."  Seriously?  Who, in an entire lifetime, has time or the desire to sift through all of that??!! 

I assure you, no one!  And, as we all know, the further down the list you go, the less relevant the "results" beoome, until by page 50, you're lucky to even find anything remotely related to the phrase, topic or keyword you searched!

The real solution, then, is to limit the number of results displayed!  Not very many people are going to search even as far as 20 pages of results, so if the search engines (all of them!) were to collectively agree to cap the displayed results at, say, 30 pages, it would be "problem solved!" 

With proper filters in place, the true garbage would fall off the bottom much faster and more easily. 

Since it would seem that there may also be some bias at work, that would need to be addressed, but the next biggest problem after the sheer number of "results" is the listing of so many duplicates! 

I'm not a programmer by any stretch, but I am married to a guy who used to work in the field, so I do know enough about programming to realize it would take only a few lines of code to tell the program to check for duplicate site hits, and eliminate them, posting only one link to the same page/article.

It's not, as they say, 'brain surgery.'

21. profile image0
      Marye Audetposted 12 years ago

At the risk of sounded smug or gloating...
      One thing I am doing is going back over each of my hubs, starting with the ones that get the most traffic.

I am reading it carefully and taking time to make sure it doesn't sound like an info-mercial at 2 a.m. Is it interesting? Is it well written? Does it sound choppy or forced? I then do a search for similar articles on google and see which articles are above mine. Are the better? If so, what makes them better?

Images, how do they look? Recipes, are they easy to follow and read?

Is the information still relevant and up to date (some of my articles are 4 years old)

Do my articles sound like a 10th grade English or science report? Are they easy to read, friendly; do they engage the reader?

Are the articles broken up into easily read paragraphs with space or does it look like one long article with no white space?

Looking at my work with a critical eye helps me to revise it to make it better. Assuming that I my writing is "good enough" will only cause me to lose money in the long run.

And, at the risk of making people angry (oh heck, why not?) Writing fiction, poetry, and personal experience type things is not going to make you any money on a venue like Hubpages. I keep my fiction writing in other venues.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I reckon looking after successful pages is more important than creating new ones at the moment. I am only putting out a few new pages a month here just to test the (icier) waters.

I should also say I was genuinely shocked by your loss of income and I am sorry to hear it. I would be reeling with anything like that kind of hit. My fifty per cent loss of traffic has translated into a 30 per cent loss in income which I can live with (just).

On the wider issue- my feeling is that Hubpages can recover because unlike Mahalo and Zomba it does have plenty of good content. Also Squidoo and eHow have not been hit too hard. This suggests that there is a formula for big content sites that still works. Hubpages has to find that formula.

22. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Good.. As I said, I would appreciate genuine and honest answers to my post..
      You see how different we can Paint Each Other?
      You Read Me as being Negative and Sarcastic...
      I Read You as being Negative and Gloating...

BASED on what you had said.. prompted by my words, you have Reacted.. Defensively and Clearly Out Of Context, yet you claim to have only been trying to answer people here Honestly!
      Did You Bother To Consider The Information within My Post - Objectively?
      Had you done that, then I would have thought you would be concerned about the Honest information, rather than Reacting to a perceived challenge (Not directed at You).
      If Indeed you were Trying To Help.. Then Why did you Not simply and honestly answer the honest questions that I asked?
      You were making a Statement about Traffic etc. HERE.. Your Information given, based on my information, appears flawed and therefore is Not a Fair Representation of the Average Hubber's experience HERE!
      If You are going to make a Public Announcement of The Honest Traffic Facts and Prospects Here.. BE HONEST.. Give Accurate Information.. Tell it as it is! - My Post Gave You Accurate Information, that appears contrary to what you were saying!
      FACTS: Many People Here (including Quality Writers like PD) can't even crack 50 views per day on this site!
      THAT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM HERE.. It hould Not Be Glossed over to people who dream about making a living in this War Zone!
      If You Find My Candor Is by Your Standards Sarcastic - Then Appreciate That By My Standards Your Honesty Resembles Gloating to me!
      Thank you for reacting to my post and taking the post out of context. If you read it in the correct perspective, you may understand what I am HONESTLY Saying!
      I too apologize if you are offended by what you perceive to be sarcasm - I speak differently than you, as Kiwis we tend to be very direct and tactless.... However, we also tend to Care About Others and Are Extremely Honest! Perhaps, my refusal to 'Fudge' the Real Issues behind a Ra-Ra-Ra.. is considered to be sarcasm.. by others here - but hey, I chased YOUR Stolen Content Around The World as well in the 16 Straight Hours that I Spent Trying to do something 'Positive' for the site.. 

@ Lissie... Cheers but the point I was making is that this is the NOW Volume.. It was far, far higher before (here).. On other sites less of the same style of hubs earn 4500 - 6000 per week NOW... I Have Work Elsewhere that is first page, well searched, But ALL My HP work has GONE from the First Page!
      THAT Is NOT Because of the style of my Hubs... THAT Is The Love that G has for HP... AND THAT IS What has Hurt the Bulk of writers here!!! My Poetry is #1 - #5 Still on Other Sites on the SEs.. So Please don't assume that I am measuring Apples with Lemons.. BTW.. I wrote on the subjects that the Management of the Day suggested would help the site... It seems from what you're saying then, that I should have been 'less personal' perhaps and written About Reviews and Stuff that I Don't Personally Know About! big_smile

@ Marye... Your Last Post REALLY DOES Come Across Honestly and Openly Practical. 
      Consider this: ALL That Has Happened In The Last 3 Months on the Net is NEW To ALL Of Us... Including Staff.. We REALLY DON'T Have the ability to KNOW.. hmm

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hate to say it PD, but you really do come across as very negative lately (someone asked you if you had PMT?)  Yes, you did have points here and there, but it seems to turn into personal attacks where it's not justified.  Yes, I am kiwi too, and pretty direct.

...and I'm an Aussie and I've been snipped for being too direct in the forums, too.  And I agree with Baileybear.  Marye didn't say anything that deserved such a rude, sarcastic reply - and she's not the first person to get the rough side of your tongue for absolutely no reason.

Maybe you read things too fast and therefore misinterpret them?

23. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Google will do what Google will do.  Hubpages will try and adjust. Me, I'm making more money here than ever before.  So I don't have a problem.  It's all relative.

24. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hiya Marye, thanks for the info.  This is really good to know as I feel very discouraged reading stuff here in forums.  So much negativity and it's bringing me down.  But I read them just to keep being informed of what's going on here in Hubpages.  I am a neophyte in writing, and Hubpages is the only writing home I know.  I have a blog account, but it is not the same.  So I just keep on going.  Thanks for the positive input.

Rosie

25. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Kind of depends on what words stick out to you, you can say it with a smile but:

Isn't all that optimistic! and stating that many sites are running around and making possibly useless changes doesnt really settle my unease on how changes were implemented here.

I lost more than the above figures and a great chunk of it was after HP created their arbitrary amazon/ebay guidleines not from Panda.

Lots of the "doom and gloom" is/was coming from writers and marketers who have far reaching portfolios of sites that extend outside of the impacted "content farms" model. With that broader perspective its easy to see a "baby with the bathwater" problem.

Hp will recover but Im guessing the Squidoo example( I hope not though!) will end up being the most relevant, so the haste that the changes are enacted in will be proven to have been a mistake.

Im sure tons of the criticism is pure venting and the tone of it will lessen with time. Im done being outraged myself and can tell that the HP plan is decided on and inflexible so there is no point in spending time discussing the errors. It all could have been handled better. On the bright side Im sure it can get any worse! and Jason and Simone have been more active answering questions in the forum and making blog posts and really improving communication overall

26. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years ago

PD is brutally honest and direct to the point, as far as I am concerned. Perhaps, it is us, who misinterpret his words. smile

Best Regards

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

SunSeven Thanks - You Got It In One! smile

The 'holier than thou' smugness that gets spread on the walls in threads like this one.. Merely emphasis how much Reality gets so selectively 'tweaked' when some feel their computer screen is attacking them!! big_smile  Such Ego-Promos are indeed as MrVooDoo states: Drool!! big_smile  roll

@ MW.. Contrary to your suggestion on my reading abilities... I am NOT Obtuse! Having made a few million myself in life.. I guess I should confidently challenge decidedly average Dross... Don't You think? hmm

Both the OP and MW should ALWAYS REMEMBER.. To Be Nice and Not So Smug To Those They Look Down On.. On The Way Up!
        - Because... They May Find That They Need The Ones That They Consider They Are Better Than... On The Way Down!!

You Never Know Who The Person That You 'Look Down On' Actually Is! sad

27. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The front pages spots are automated and based on performance--or based on peer or self nominations.  I don't see performance based perks as being anything other than totally fair and egalitarian.  You want that spot?  You earn it.

You have to laugh.  When people try to pass of what they believe to be true, as fact.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

I agree.  Also, that comment screams "I'M CONSERVATIVE!"

If you are suggesting I am conservative, you are waaaay off.  I am a card carrying socialist. Not that I am sure how it is relevant.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I have observed on the forums how people put forward their pages or the pages of others for being featured and how the best of those pages were selected.

I have observed how the hubbers with the highest hubscores are featured and what causes people to have high hub scores.

You on the other hand are just *asserting* that something else is occurring.  based on observing... what?

In the context of THIS conversation, your observations mean nothing.

Wow.

If objectively confirmable observations of physical reality are not seen as relevant then you are the one who should be laughed at.

I am going to get back to interacting with rational people who understand they have to earn what they get in life.

Have fun raging against 'the man'.

In other words.  It's just dawned on you that you were wrong.  And instead of admitting that graciously.  You're going to try your hand at a little misdirection.

3. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree. Probably I just did not perform good enough - I never made it there big_smile

Thank you, Misha.  As you can no doubt see, she wasn't entirely wrong, she just hadn't taken the time to read back a few responses, to understand the context of my response.  Before weighing in.

And if it was just based upon financial success, you should definitely have been on there.  Prior to having your hubs unpublished anyways. hmm  I hope they didn't get your best ones.

I never made it onto the featured list either.  Maybe that's why I'm 'raging against the man!' lol

Misha, glad to see you; was worried you'd found another place to hang out - and that I'd not get to glean some internet marketing wisdom from your comments!

1. Misha profile image63
              Mishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to disappoint Todd, but I just stopped by to answer people on my farewell thread, and just stumbled on this ignorantly arrogant psyche post and could not just let it go smile

Damn.  Now I must check your profile.  Did you write a farewell hub?

28. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 12 years ago

MW is spot on.

But, I do believe they are referring to the "Writers Spotlight" that showcases writers earnings on the front page, rather than the featured section.

Im also not sure that featured section is software based anymore.

^ This. big_smile

29. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

well, I guess I'm the one who brought it up that she has a prominent spot on the HP home page. The statement wasn't meant to demean in any way, simply that it probably doesn't hurt to be on HP's landing page, if someone comes in via ads or a HP.com search. Most of us don't have that opportunity. Yes, obviously she earned that spot.

Yes, but as we're always saying - if someone arrives at her Hub via a general HubPages search, they're probably not in the mood to buy, therefore they won't click on her ads.

That point can't really be pointed out too many times to someone who can create a decent article, but is unfamiliar with the psychology of the internet searcher.

I'm a person who thought that he was doing "great" when he discovered reddit.com, and started putting links there, and getting hundred and sometimes thousands of page views from that site.  I didn't realize that that could actually hurt my earnings potential - so thanks to you all who can and will clarify these types of things.

1. Trish_M profile image80
            Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds odd. How does that work?

I forget the terminology, but it works like this:  If Google sees that I'm getting tons of page views by people who do not click ads, then Google will see no reason to continue putting their best, highest pay per click ads on my pages.

You see, the people on Reddit, or digg, or facebook, or any site like that didn't find my content from search engine searches - so they weren't looking for my information, really, they weren't shopping, they were just browsing; so they aren't the type of traffic or visitor that clicks an advert.

I've heard other well respected persons on this site - persons who seem to be very successful here say that "who knows who will click an advert!"

But I'm going more with what I was told by Susana S, Ryankett, and Sunforged - because I know for a fact that those three persons have been and are successful at the online marketing game.

I still sometimes share articles on reddit.com, it's a great dofollow backlink that helps your standing with Google in that way, but you have to be careful.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

.. my original statement was made in light of the number of views she receives.. I'll leave you guys to discuss whatever. Who's to say when a viewer will click or not click.

I thought that's what you meant - but if you read Marye's responses, it's clear she measures her success by dollars earned, not page views.

3. Mrvoodoo profile image58

The thing is, if you're promoted, or promote yourself, in a certain light, there's money to be made beyond the scope of adsense/amazon, etc. 

Look at RyanKett, do you think as many folk would flock over to Excerptz, if he wasn't seen to have been a success here?  And that's just one example.

1. profile image0

For the record... I am much more well known for my food writing/reviewing and I don't need hubpages to promote me. I have spent the past four years systematically creating a brand  and internet recognition around my name.

However..I will play.
            Yes. I am a total success on Hubpages because I and a handful of others pee gold, poop diamonds and are the darlings of the hubpages team. I am at this very minute getting into a private jet provided for me and flying out to pull the wings off butterflies for the afternoon with Simone.

Yes, very droll.  My statement was a general one, and was not aimed at you.  And despite your 'humour', still holds true.  Online, and offline.

As for your internet-wide recognition, well, I guess I don't read that many food reviews.

I knew it!

30. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

A point of clarification about the success stories: they were chosen by me, based on their traffic/financial success, their success beyond just the earnings, and the quality of their Hubs.

They were not successful because they've been featured on the Success Stories page, but rather the other way around.

31. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image64
      Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 12 years ago

I haven't been hit by Hubpages changes at all. I have never really earned anything from here Adsense wise but have been earning decent with the Hubpages Ad Program. On other sites however my earnings have dropped majorly because of the changes. A bit annoying, but nothing that can't be adapted to in time I suppose with a few tweaks and changes. I have adapted to change in the past and still managed to make a living from my writing, all from revenue and incentives. We will have to wait and see...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)