What is the best decision you've made in your life

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (60 posts)
  1. finsofts profile image38
    finsoftsposted 13 years ago

What do you think is the single best decision you've made in your life so far?

Post every ones special moments and decisions that changed the life.

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deciding to (and actually) changing my life completely!!!!

2. rianiriani profile image53
      rianirianiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the day i decided to wear my veil...with open heart and mind. taking the consequences of being alienated by some of my friends, stop acting recklessly, be responsible for my choices.
      it turn out to be ok..
      I am a better person by taking my steps carefully and my friends realized that i am the same person despite of my faith..I'm thankful for taken the decisions.

3. mailxpress profile image48
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have two best decisions.  The first one was not settling down with someone who I did not truly love.  I feel I have probably saved myself and him many unhappy years.  When people settle in love it usually has an unhappy ending.
      The second best (new chapter) in my life was starting an online business.  I write online and look forward to any alone time to continue to grow and build it.  Not listening to close family and friends who questioned me in the beginning.  Constantly questioned me.  How annoying.  Anyway, I now help people in my area.  I show them what I do and how I do it and they are following my lead and slowly growing their online business.  When I do finally reach my financial goal I am going to teach many others with my big plan.  All in due time.  New beginnings are great especially when they lead you to pleasant unexpected  places.
      Great question

4. K J Page profile image61
      K J Pageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Learning to drive a tour bus and give tours -  For the first time in my life I developed self confidence in my ability to stand on my own, to make good decisions and to grow and learn and share.  It taught me public speaking skills, people skills.  In remote areas of Alaska and the Yukon we were often miles away from help with no radio or phone contact for hours - people's lives depended on making good decisions ALL the time.

5. Phillyfreeze69 profile image55
      Phillyfreeze69posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best decision that I ever made in my life was to continue my education beyond high school. Working my way through college was out of financial necessity but it taught me some most valuable lessons about persistence, perseverance and fortitude. It was was Dr. Benjamin Mays, Educator and Minister who said " the tragedy in life was not reaching ones dreams, but the tragedy was in not having any dreams to reach for".

6. Abwaan profile image60
      Abwaanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best decision;  Signing up for Hubpages!

7. skye2day profile image69
      skye2dayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The day I asked Jesus Christ into my heart and was Born Again  February 1992. My life has never been the same. It has been a ride I would trade for nothing. He is my Lord and Savior. If you have not tried Jesus I suggest you give 'HIM' a chance. He will never leave nor forsake you. The world is in perilous times I am grateful I know I will be OK and have a home in heaven when I leave this planet. ( - ; Great Question.
      Love and Peace skye2day

8. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To get a PhD

9. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To go with an inner prompting which went against all commonsense.  Commonsense told me I was in a good, secure job; one with plenty of prestige, where I had the respect of my peers, good money and, probably an excellent career path.   My inner prompting kept prompting.   It took me five years of agonising vacillation and procrastination to finally put in my resignation - a resignation which could not be withdrawn.   Such an action didn't bring any short term rewards (though I did feel a huge weight removed from me once that resignation was posted)  but I know that by doing what I did it has made me grow enormously soul-wise.

10. Mark Rafferty profile image44
      Mark Raffertyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The best decision every work day is to open my work folder on my computer!

2. Nady profile image68
    Nadyposted 13 years ago

I have made a decision that I think is the best, but it would take long time to see the result of it.
    I have dedicated my life for my son, who is a special need. I left work,school, and gym to stay home with him and give him all my energy, my time, my thoughts, my savings to spend towards his therapy and do whatever is best for him.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
      Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it will take time to know you did the right thing.  All children, especially those with addtitional needs, benefit from one parent staying at home showing them how much you care and love them.

2. profile image0
      Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's great to hear.  I really hope everything works out for the very best for both of you.  Not too many people would do that.

3. Phillyfreeze69 profile image55
      Phillyfreeze69posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being a caregiver can be very demanding on a person physically, emotionally and financially. I work at a facillity that  provides healthcare for medically fragile children and we a have a free "respite program" for parents that will allow them to leave their child for 2 weeks at our facility. This gives the parents a much needed break from being the caregiver for a special needs child. You may would like check into this for your state health department.

4. elayne001 profile image78
      elayne001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is very commendable and a big sacrifice what you have done for your son, Nady. I have a gdaughter who was born with spina bifida. Her parents have had to give up their own desires and needs to take care of her. Lily is a real blessing to all of us and help to see God's love through her eyes. I have written some about her in my hubs.

3. Sparhawke profile image61
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

I am still trying to work out what this words of yours means...

Decision? O_o

Nope, thats an alien one to me.

4. k@ri profile image86
    k@riposted 13 years ago

Without a doubt it was moving to California to be with the one I love.

5. profile image0
    woolman60posted 13 years ago

To quit smoking

6. Nady profile image68
    Nadyposted 13 years ago

what about you finsofts, what is yours?

7. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

1. The decision to divorce
    2. Follow my dream

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Deciding to have children (technically, deciding to adopt one and have the other two).

9. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

To stay and marry someone I love and have children rather than leaving to move London; to pursue a career that I had just finished training for.

10. Jennifer Lynch profile image68
    Jennifer Lynchposted 13 years ago

Realising that my children are number one in my life.

11. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

Without question, to reply to this post.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

12. chigoiyke profile image61
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

I dont think ve made that "point turning" decision yet but I will when the time comes

13. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Taking the plunge and working full time on the net. Did it just before this recession to, which is even better. smile

14. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

I do not have one decision I am proud of, I have several-

The decision to enlist.  I will never regret that, only getting out.

The decision to report my assault despite the whispers and the rumors and the draining of emotion.

The decision to leave my abusive exhusband to give myself and my children a better life.

The decision to give a persistent suitor a chance and finding my knight in shining armor & marrying him.

I plan on adding more to this list as I move on with life but this will do for starters.

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a wonderful list. smile

15. profile image0
    Doodlebirdposted 13 years ago

Having kids - if there's anything that will suddenly make the reall priorities clear in life, it's being responsible for the well-being and upbringing of our little ones.  It's led me down a lot of unexpected roads and has forced me to work on aspects of my own character I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

16. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I really have no idea.

I've made a lot of decision over the years, and some of them seem to've worked out really well, and some of the seem to've turned out disastrously. But there's really no way to know if the disastrous decisions wouldn't have turned out even worse if I'd gone another way, and there's no way of knowing that the good ones wouldn't have been better. Not without magical powers, or a miracle of some kind a-la "It's a Wonderful Life."

But I have two choices that I've made that I can't conceive of turning out any better: marrying my wife, and raising children together. Wouldn't change that for the known universe.

17. Dr Love 69 profile image58
    Dr Love 69posted 13 years ago

To not let people stop me from doing things--writing here, for one example.

1. Entourage_007 profile image56
      Entourage_007posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like your right on target.

18. Entourage_007 profile image56
    Entourage_007posted 13 years ago

The best decision I ever made in my life was realizing that listening to people is important, but ultimately the most important thing is to listen to your heart.

19. profile image58
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Waking up this morning! smile

20. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I would have to say..."Accepting Jesus into my heart, into my life:)"  Some may not understand this concept, but for those who do, they are truly blessed:)

1. Dobson profile image74
      Dobsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - that was my answer!

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

The decision I've made in the past few days......I'm re-claiming my life and no longer allowing the actions of others to interfere with my personal happiness.

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

to fight the grim reaper who keeps laughing at me telling me he is going to win.

4. jdaviswrites profile image73
      jdaviswritesposted 13 years ago

deciding to be happy. every morning. regardless.

5. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 13 years ago

So many beautiful stories here in the comments. I could relate to quite a few. It's hard to narrow it down to a short list but here's a try:

To leave the corporate world behind regardless of losing a hefty paycheck, I regained my life and my sanity (sort of)

To pursue talents previously neglected, like writing, painting and gardening.

To be a better wife by traveling less (I covered markets throughout the US) and cooking more

To leave an emotionally draining relationship where depression and heartache prevailed

And of course most importantly, to return to the roots of my faith and be grateful for all my blessings

6. thespiritualcoach profile image56
      thespiritualcoachposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the question! I appreciate the opportunity to reflect in this way... there have been many decisions I'm happy about but the best one has been marrying my husband. Even though I was afraid along the way, committing to him and to the Love has brought the most joy to my life (next to having our children).

7. bayareagreatthing profile image58
      bayareagreatthingposted 13 years ago

The best decision I made was to live free in Christ. He set me free from a life of brokenness in myself and in the world. By following him I have peace, faith, love and joy...even in dark places,he helps me to rise above my circumstances.It has been an amazing journey!

8. vocalcoach profile image92
      vocalcoachposted 13 years ago

The best decision I have made was kind of made for me.  Because of the poor economy I lost my business and was forced to learn how to become unmaterialistic. I begain purchasing clothing and other items I needed at thrift shops and garage sales. I really started to get excited about my purchases and the money I could save. That led me to getting involved in recycling and becoming interested in a variety of projects to help our planet. I can honestly say that today, I am a better person for having lost so much. I have gained far more than I ever had before.

9. Set's All Set profile image68
      Set's All Setposted 13 years ago

The best decision I've ever made in my life was buying that Powerball ticket. Who knew a 1 dollar ticket could have such a deep and profound impact on my life.

1. profile image0
        DM309posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's a lucky decision. I'm not sure I'd agree it was a good decision, considering the odds against winning. When did this happen?

1. Set's All Set profile image68
          Set's All Setposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was a sarcastic joke. Nothing cliche nor dramatic. Nothing profound. No Epiphany. No, I didn't win any jackpot.

However, I disagree. The only thing that constitutes a "good" decision is the result.

10. profile image0
      DM309posted 13 years ago

So far, my best decision was probably to go into therapy. What a difference!

11. annmeadows profile image60
      annmeadowsposted 13 years ago

The best decision I've ever made is to accept the things that I can't change.

1. profile image0
        Always Greenerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course!  Acceptance, what a good choice, I agree

12. MomCrafting4Fun profile image60
      MomCrafting4Funposted 13 years ago

I feel that if you let God help guide your decisions then all those decisions will be good ones.  But my top 2 are:

1.  Getting married to the most wonderful man, ven though at that moment life was very unsure due to medical issues.

2.  Having my two wonderful daughters and deciding to stay at home with them.

13. newzolt profile image60
      newzoltposted 13 years ago

Choosing the love of my life as my life partner is the best decision in my life till now.

14. profile image0
      Always Greenerposted 13 years ago

Taking my current job because it has just led to better job, and then the cycle should continue

15. profile image51
      blessmysunnysoulposted 13 years ago

3 years ago tomorrow I decided to take control of my lifetime battle with obesity and have a permanent surgery called a vertical sleeved gastrectomy. Not unhealthy like the bypass surgeries it simply is a permanent restriction of the size of the stomach. Since then I have lost nearly 200lbs and this has enabled me to also start contolling my life in other ways such as living my life dream of traveling( i am writing this from england and i live in california :)It has also enabled me to start living a more healthy life through exercise and accumulating really positive life experiences !! I am soooooo happy!!

1. Diane Inside profile image73
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow thats amazing, good for you, you must be proud. And I am so jealous that you are traveling, ha ha, I know this has really helped you quality of life.

Is this surgery the same as lap band.

16. swapna123 profile image60
      swapna123posted 13 years ago

- Selecting the first company that i worked from the 4-5 offers that i had in hand
      - Getting married to a wonderful person
      - Quitting my job for spending time with the family

17. profile image0
      Medkh9posted 13 years ago

my very important decision i have ever taken was immigrating to canada

18. Ruby Campos profile image82
      Ruby Camposposted 2 years ago

For me, the best decision I've ever made in my life so far, was to stand on my personal conviction based what I know to be right instead of just following the crowd or the majority.

19. MSD23 profile image57
      MSD23posted 12 months ago

After the death of my father's death, my Mom told me to leave studying and learn some skills. That was a very crucial point in my life. I had no means to keep my studies on. I made a decision not to leave studying. Though it took a rather long time to reach the goal. I did part-time jobs and kept my studies on. At present, I have everything that one can desire.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)