Stay positive and keep writing

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Evan Hutchinson profile image68
    Evan Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

This is for new hubbers and old hubbers alike: don't become a victim of worry and negativity. There is always a random amount of chaos out there. You could have a hub get 1500 views a day for no reason whatsoever, even if it is written a lot worse than a hub with a 3,000 word count that gets 10 views a day. The solution is to simply ignore the black hat tricks and keep writing. Good luck and bad luck are out there, but hard work and hustle will help you create your own good luck.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Good advice.

2. Cutters profile image60
      Cuttersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for helping me keep my head up!

3. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's what I've always done. smile  I don't do SEO at all, other than the Title Tool.

When I asked for feedback at first I was accused of keyword spamming. smile

1. lundmusik profile image68
        lundmusikposted 12 years agoin reply to this

good advice -- it's easy to get thrown off by perceived rejection

4. dabneylewis profile image61
      dabneylewisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't knew about it but I'm sure now it'll help me in future...

5. LhouvieBlue profile image58
      LhouvieBlueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your right. Writing gives me a realization that to be contented is to be happy..

6. EasyReading profile image61
      EasyReadingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agree with  you and thank you for your advice and support. Lucy

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5545277_f248.jpg

2. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the tip.  I started with the Hubs two years ago.. did 5 hubs.. .but then I just faded back.  I did not write anything. I started back up THIS week and I feel energized!  I am just flowing.  I will not stress. I feel like a newbie and the ideas are just coming easier.

3. EasyReading profile image61
    EasyReadingposted 12 years ago

Happy to see new Hub pages are not giving up.  You are all my inspirations and strength to continue writing.  Bless you all and hope to keep reading and meeting more of you really soon.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5543535.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep! I agree - I am on track to publish 1 hub a day since I began living in my Yellow SUBmarine.

As we live a life of ease (life of ease)
      Every one of us (every one of us) has all we need, (has all we need)
      Sky of blue, (sky of blue) and sea green,(sea of green)
      In our yellow (In our yellow) submarine. (submarine) ( Haha! )

We all live in yellow submarine,
      yellow submarine, yellow submarine,

1. mariazeyn profile image57
        mariazeynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol my university's green car racing team played that song!

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

With all due respect, it's more than just writing and keeping positive. I had over 50 hubs published and after Panda, was completely decimated. One hub was getting nearly 500 views a day and was a basis for an AP article that was published and released across the USA in every major newspaper in July 2009. My views, earnings and everything else have plummeted to almost zero and as a result, I have unpublished all but two hubs, and have republished elsewhere. I keep a foot hold here for several valuable reasons. But I no longer keep my eggs all in this basket.

Thinking positive thoughts and writing good articles will not solve the problems that Panda created. Writing strong content, educating yourself about what Google is doing and why, and then putting your content in places that won't be decimated is a much smarter thing to do than to poke your head in the sand and sing a couple of choruses of "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow."

Knowledge is power. Smiles are irrelevant in that scenario.

That's my two cents.

I'm happy, my traffic is up 400%. I now write much better and more focused articles. I go rid of all my RSS, added summaries and I now spend 20 minutes for each article, optimizing the keyword choices and the title. I have written articles about these aspects. It worked for me - I love my yellow SUB. Be proactive, write lots of better quality articles that you know will attract traffic in niches you can compete in. You can predict how much traffic you can expect,  and boost it by build links for each article.

Our Yellow SUBmarines are Post-Panda.

Sorry I've got to go an find some more little niche fishes, down periscope - cheers

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5552153_f248.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

See when you said you got rid of your Rss feeds, were those focussed feeds or just your hot/best/latest?

I'm still struggling to understand why getting rid of feeds should help hubs, when the whole point of setting them up was to encourage readers to click through to other hubs, as well as being a feed for outside promotion.

A few weeks ago, I changed all of my dedicated feeds to show one sentence only and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.
        So it can't be a duplicate content issue.

This duplicate content issue opens a whole new can of worms anyway.

China Daily, who I now understand are one of the biggest sites in China, stole one of my hubs.

It has since been replicated 1000s of times.

My subdomain was already slapped at the time, though not when this hub was published, but Google don't want to know.
        I think maybe if I hadn't been slapped, they would have listened, but I still don't know what I have done wrong.

My RSS were my own Related Hubs. My understanding is that it is simply a duplication issue - the RSS text is copied from the host article and when displayed on your page is regarded as duplicate text (all the sentences add up). Only leave the link, remove all the text. Apparently there is a threshold percentage of duplicate text that Google assessed for your article and perhaps for all your SUB - if exceeded a penalty is applied. When I removed the RSS many of my 'dead' articles suddenly got traffic. On another Thread I presented some stats for authors who had suffered from a previous plunge - this showed that 75% of people that showed a decline used RSS feeds, whereas only 25% of thoise who showed an increase used them. (this was the only correlation that I could find). raynkett pushed the RSS deletions very hard - but he deleted the article.
          see http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/82550

This makes sense to me - I kept the links but deleted the text.

2. seamist profile image61
      seamistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Daniel. Although I haven't had the same problems as you, my traffic is zilch too. After three years of trying here, the motivation is gone. To keep bailing water in a sinking ship when the shoreline is within swimming distance is not realistic.

3. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK, I give what is Panda?

I write and do my art because I enjoy it and it allows me to express my soul.

I don't care about money and never will that is not my purpose on this planet.

The stats  and ratings are nice, but it is not what motivates me, the sharing of knowledge in the hopes of gaining wisdom is.

5. profile image0
    Majadezposted 12 years ago

I joined HP almost two years ago but have only been active over the past few months. I think that the trick is just to keep writing... Staying positive is good too. One does need balance however. There are some things we'll have to do that we won't have to enjoy to promote our writing, but it's part of making progress. That's the additional skills and knowledge. I haven't tried it yet but I add bits and pieces as I go along. When I am successful at it, I'll come back to give more valuable input...

6. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 12 years ago

Hey I just broke into double digits in earnings (a 15 cents and climbing) at this rate I will be able to retire and buy my own Island in another 4 or 5 hundred years, and just because the rest of you only live to be on an average of 70 years, doesn't mean I have to.

As you may have guessed I'm a rebel and don't like following.

7. profile image42
    maoroelvisposted 12 years ago

I am a kenyan, will i also enjoy your benefits?

1. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, all is a belief system, at what point in your life did you realize you were mortal? Did someone tell you? Did you learn it in school? Or is this realization ingrained in our DNA?

Just like history it's a scam, you simple have to believe what feels right in your heart.

Now I could claim I'm an American but it doesn't feel right . . . I am a HUMAN no man owns the planet I live on and those that do have got to go, no more room for that kind of thinking.

8. emzitinasas profile image60
    emzitinasasposted 12 years ago

I agree! All of us writers just really want to be read and be appreciated by those who can but sometimes this need can become a hindrance because we base our self-expression in the number of people viewing and commenting on our works. I feel this way too but this message did some damage control. smile

Thank you for this very inspiring message. I like writing because I can share a bit of myself to other people who need it. But if no one needs it then I think, it is safe to say that the world is so much better. smile

9. LailaK profile image70
    LailaKposted 12 years ago

Simple and short! Thank you!

10. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

janderson, do you mean the links that we might put at the bottom of our hubs about other related hubs we have???? Or something else? And what text would we remove? the description?

My suggestion is to delete ALL RSS feed capsules. Delete the description ffrom Link Capsules (title only). If you want to link to other articles simpy use the link option available in the text capsule or the Link capsule (title only).  Text links are preferred innthe body of the text.

Before you delete the RSS copy the contents. You can paste it directly into a text capsule and the links will be retained (I think). Simply delete the descriptions and leave the links. - then delete the RSS. You can use this process to add links for new articles using the functionality of the RSS capsule - though they won't be 'live' but it saves time.
      That's my suggestion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)