Weekly Topic Inspiration: The Meaning of Christmas, Hanukkah & Kwanzaa

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

We've only just hit the end of October, but already Christmas displays and products are showing up everywhere! It might seem early, but just like many stores out there, you can benefit from getting on the Christmas bandwagon early by writing your winter holiday Hubs now. This gives them enough time to gain some standing in search engine results before the traffic arrives in full.

That's why this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration theme is the real meaning of Christmas (courtesy of kat11)! I hope you join us and share what Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa and other winter holiday customs, symbols, and words mean to you.

Here are some commonly searched for terms to give you some inspiration:

Christmas-related: history of christmas, meaning of christmas, true meaning of christmas, christmas meanig, what is the meaning of christmas, christmas devotional, real meaning of christmas, what is the meaning of christmas, christmas symbols, history of santa claus, christmas for kids, the story of christmas, orthodox christmas

Kwanzaa: what is kwanzaa, history of kwanzaa, history of kwanzaa, kwanzaa candle holder, origin of kwanzaa, symbols of kwanzaa, kwanzaa definition, happy kwanzaa, who celebrates kwanzaa, kwanzaa candles, kwanzaa songs, kwanzaa for kids, kwanzaa 2011, kwanzaa facts

Hanukkah-related: story of hanukkah, hanukkah gelt, dreidel rules, hanukkah crafts for kids, jewish holidays, hanukkah decorations, hanukkah song, when is hanukkah, dreidel game, hanukkah gifts, hanukkah for kids, hanukkah greetings, hanukkah prayers, chanukah candles, meaning of chanukah

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

Big thanks to kat11 for this week's topic. I look forward to reading your holiday Hubs! Also, if you have any suggestions for future WTI topics, let me know!

1. Laura du Toit profile image73
      Laura du Toitposted 12 years ago

Hi Simone

I posted a hub about Kwanzaa about 20 minutes ago in answer to a question from RedElf. I suppose there is no harm in posting my link here. Just a pity your weekly topic had not been posted when I published the hub. Oh well I suppose I'll have batter luck next time. sad

http://lauradutoit.hubpages.com/hub/Kwa … elebration

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say you and RedElf are just ahead of the curve! Thanks for sharing the Hub here- it's perfectly appropriate after all. It fits this week's theme exactly!

2. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years ago

I have a bunch of Christmas topics in mind that I might have to write about this week after I submit my contest topics for each day. I know a lot about Chanukah and would love to share my own experiences with that. I have the most beautiful menorah like evar (imo), but I don't know, haha, what I would say about it. tongue

but Happy upcoming Chanukah!
      http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/warchildbosnia/lenoxmenorah.jpg

1. Sue B. profile image93
        Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Before even reading what you write- my first thought was that this was the prettiest monorah I have ever seen! lol

1. melbel profile image93
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know, I am so very, very careful taking it out of its box each year.

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Yep. That is indeed the prettiest. menorah. EVAR.  I'm really looking forward to reading your holiday Hubs, melbel!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same about your holiday Hubs to come - I've never seen a menorah like this one.

3. Purple Perl profile image49
        Purple Perlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely beautiful menorah!

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

melbel

I have to agree with Sue B.

It is the prettiest menorah I have ever seen!!

I see swans and a shofar in it. ..

OMG I want one!!!!

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure Lenox no longer carries this one. I bought it on clearance several years ago when the Lenox and Dansk outlets were going out. I do know that they pop up on eBay every year. My mother told me to buy this and sell it for more on eBay (L'Chaim by Lenox.) I was able to do this with the silverware set I bought, but my heart is attached to this piece.

I think I've got an idea for a hub from this convo. Thanks, guys. smile

1. Karanda profile image79
          Karandaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you could start with a description and history behind the menorah. I've never heard of it but would love to hear a story of why it is so special to you and your family. Can't wait!

4. Ilikemoncler profile image60
      Ilikemonclerposted 12 years ago

Good topic, and also, I have to agree with Sue B.

5. profile image52
      airjordansfusionsposted 12 years ago

good topic

6. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

wow! Where does the time go.  Already a new topic!

7. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

Well, what do you know - I'm ahead of the game cool Thanks, Laura, for answering and I am off to read now.

I agree - that menorah is one of the loveliest I've ever seen, and I look forward to reading lots of new hubs for this topic - well, and writing a few, too. big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

8. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years ago

How about one that discusses what Christmas means to just one family?  Personal meaning, not that assigned by society?

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/true … ldren?done

How wonderful! I love what Christmas means to you personally!  A lot of your approaches and traditions reflect those I've enjoyed with my own family. And now I'm feeling all nostalgic!!

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's coming just around the corner.  I love the Christmas season and look forward to it each year. 

This year we have all 6 of our grandchildren nearby for the first time - I'm expecting a really special holiday this year.

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
        Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful hub, wilderness. smile

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I love it. I always have fun writing a Christmas hub that is not aimed at selling stuff only smile

10. Melovy profile image93
      Melovyposted 12 years ago

Here’s my Meaning of Christmas hub, about a story that inspired a 5 year old girl to give some very special presents .
      http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/You-Can- … ld-To-Give

Oh my gosh... this is such a wonderful Hub! I'm all warm and fuzzy inside after reading it.

1. Melovy profile image93
          Melovyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.

2. Denise Handlon profile image86

Very cool story!

11. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

Here is my entry for What is the Meaning of Christmas for WTI.  I need to get back to doing this more, I always  liked it when I did it long ago.

http://oceansnsunsets.hubpages.com/hub/ … -All-About

I am sharing my opinion and views of Christmas in this hub and why I think its meaningful.  Thanks for the topic and look forward to more!

1. Denise Handlon profile image86

Loved your hub, oceansnsunsets.  Brought back some wonderful memories.

Yes, this is a lovely Hub indeed, and I appreciate the more in-depth explanation of Christmas you gave!

12. hush4444 profile image61
      hush4444posted 12 years ago

What a great topic.  Here's my offering on the Spirit of Christmas

http://hush4444.hubpages.com/hub/TheSpi … asinHawaii

Great hub here hush4444.  I enjoyed reading it. smile

1. hush4444 profile image61
          hush4444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate that, Denise.  I enjoyed thinking about our Hawaiian Christmas to come!

Great Hub indeed! Though now I really want to go to Hawaii T____T

13. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

Sheesh - I finally made it back here with a hub!

Favorite Traditions Keep the Meaning of Christmas Alive

Some lovely entries here - been doing lots of reading!
      Cheers!

Cool hub smile

Love this! I've learned my 'new thing of the day' courtesy of your fun fact about holly and ivy!

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Two of my favourite Christmas movies:

http://uninvitedwriter.hubpages.com/hub … e-Actually

Cool!

YAY! These are great ones! I really need to watch them again. About a Boy is great, and Love Actually is one of my favorites too!

15. cardelean profile image87
      cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Ok, I have finally gotten a chance to participate this week.  I have really missed the WTI!

Here's mine about the Christmas Orange.

http://cardelean.hubpages.com/hub/The-C … -Tradition

It is a lovely hub, Cara and I'm glad you finally had a chance to jump on the bandwagon, busy lady, and write another hub.  smile   Enjoyed reading it.

Yeah, this is fabulous! I love that tradition... now I have half a mind to bring it into my own family!

16. Evylyn Rose profile image60
      Evylyn Roseposted 12 years ago

Feeling left out (as usual), I wrote about Yule and Christmas and the importance of looking past theological differences to celebrate all holidays together.

http://evylynrose.hubpages.com/hub/Yule … stmas?done

Thanks for sharing your information.  I found it interesting and hope you participate in more of the weekly topics.  smile

1. Evylyn Rose profile image60
          Evylyn Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you enjoyed it. wink I definitely hope to join in some more. These weekly topics can certainly make for some good inspiration!

Sorry I left Yule out of the title! I don't mean to leave it out- there are just so many winter holidays @_@
        Though you've made me remember that I should write a Hub about celebrating Bodhi Day! It's something I did as a kid with my family that nobody else seemed to even be aware of.

1. Evylyn Rose profile image60
          Evylyn Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If after a decade of paying any mind to such things I haven't gotten used to it, there's a real problem. XD Besides, you leaving out Yule is what inspired my hub in the first place. Thanks. wink

17. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Love these!
        Your story about the manger is sweet and I love the lesson you share.  And hurrah for your Christmas traditions!

18. Melovy profile image93
      Melovyposted 12 years ago

I found an old poem written on this subject when I was seventeen. Here it is, along with what I might say to that seventeen -year-old now.
      http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/The-Mean … r-old-self

This was really sweet! I wish I could go back and talk to my 17-year-old self... what a cool format for a Hub!

19. melbel profile image93

I couldn't get Christmas topics done in time for this one, but I still will get them done before Christmas. sad

I'll keep an eye out for 'em!

20. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey y'all! The new WTI thread is up! This week's theme is Child Care and Babysitting! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86402

21. melbel profile image93

I want to write a hub on the dreidel game. However, it's kind of... well not just kind of.. it's totally gambling. However, it's like a kids game and has a cool history and neat facts.

To write or not to write, that is the question?

Would Google/HP not be keen on an innocent hub on a gambling game for kids?

22. melbel profile image93

I'm so sorry that I'm late in the game. (I feel like a jerk for bumping this topic, again.) But, I wanted to share my late entry to Weekly Topic Inspiration

Eight Hanukkah Songs for Eight Nights of Celebration
      http://melbel.hubpages.com/hub/Hanukkah-Songs

I want to get more Hanukkah hubs out, but I've got to get through my other hubs for the month before I do any planning for that. Fortunately, Hanukkah is late this year, so hopefully I'll have time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)