I published an e-book on Amazon for Kindle!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness month, I published a book long in coming titled "Love Means Never Having To Say Don't Hit Me".  It was surprisingly simple and the process is quite self explanitory.  The only difficulty I had was in formatting but that was my computer not their program.  Depending on what you are looking for and how much you price the book for you have the choice of a 35% or 70% royalty.  I highly recommend using this feature to anyone else looking to publish an e-book!

1. cherylone profile image89
      cheryloneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I think that is great, hope to find the courage to try my own hand at that some day.

2. profile image0
      klanguedocposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow congrats. I was thinking of publishing my own e-book that way. Keep us posted as your experience progresses

3. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ou

I am curious. If there are two levels for royalties, what differences ensue depending on which you choose?

1. Lissie profile image74
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can only choose 70% if your book is priced between $9.99 and $2.99 - you also only GET 70% if the buyer is from a fairly short list of countries (US,UK, Germany, Canada and a few others)

If you choose 70% and Amazon reduces the price of your book - which it will if it finds the book listed elsewhere for less - you only get 70% of the new price - with the 30% option you get 30% of the OLD price.

with the 70% option you pay for downloads - which is trivial for a text book but could be significate if you have a lot of photos

I wrote a hub recently on self-publishing too

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well done, and I have to say that I'm particularly interested in the topic. smile

Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Hollie.  I appreciate your compliment and I'm glad to see that the topic is appealing to you.  smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Cool! Congrats! smile

I would choose an option closer to 70%, something like 55%-65%. But, that's just me. I was considering writing a book on "character", but have since re-considered it. lol

Cagsil,  it's either or on the royalty & I chose 70% as the book is only $7.99.  On that note I think you should write it, you have a lot of wonderful and relevant advice.  I'd buy it!

And thank you!  I hit the wrong button! LOL

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol You're welcome. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

Oh okay on the royalty. Since it was one or the other, then 70% would be best. As for me writing that ebook on character, I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you would consider buying it. lol lol

Of course I would!  I love seeing you interacting in the forums~you always have something to say that is worth reading!  Even if I don't agree with your point of view I have to admit that you have valid points supporting your opinion and that makes it worthwhile just the same.

*sits honored and humbled and speechless* wink

2. Johnjfernando profile image60
            Johnjfernandoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!big_smile

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Congratulations on such  a big milestone.  That is where we all want to be . Admit it or not ! I only wish!...I hope It all works out for you , really .

Thank you! smile

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Oh and anyone who has my friend Cagsil honored humbled and speechless is my true hero !......LOL......More power to ya!

Hey Ahorseback, I'm honored and humbled a lot by people. I'm rarely speechless, but my typing a response, was actually speech, per se. It was my simplest way to acknowledge her statement and had she said it in front of me? I wouldn't have had anything to say. wink

I am humbled when people find what I say something of value, even if they don't agree. It just means that I've been able to make an impact, which is part of my purpose in life. wink

big_smile  big_smile  And you wonder why I like you so much!!

5. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

Congratulations and good luck on your new book. It's such an important topic!

Thank you very much.  It is really so important I felt selfish for not sharing my expereinces.

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

well that's great news. I would love to hear reports from time to time on how it's doing. many writers are looking for other streams to earn.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pubished a tarot book that's available on Amazon.com and Barnesand Noble.com, also by the info on my profile. It's called Pathways through Spirituality. I wrote free form poems to describe the influence of each of the 78 cards. It's so exciting! I think it's an easier way to learn to read the Rider-Waite tarot, but also that the poetry stands on it's own.

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60

Thank you, Stacie L., so far so fair, but it hasn't been very long at all! smile

Jean Bakuta, that is fantastic and congratulations unto you!  May I ask how you were able to publish to Barnes and Nobel?  I didn't think you could but I would be very interested to hear how you have done it and how well it has worked for you.

7. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

Congratulations and good luck.  I self-published a book last year using createspace and it's also listed on Amazon. I think you picked a great marketable title also.  Best of luck!

Thank you, again.  How do you like CreateSpace? I'm a bit leary but very interested.  I would appreciate your insight.

8. Dee aka Nonna profile image58
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

Congratulations and how wonderful!  I will definitely look for it on Amazon.  I get Kindle books all the time.  You have inspired me.  Good luck to you.

Wow! That is an amazing honor to be told I inspired someone.   Thank you, so much, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

9. zanaworld profile image57
    zanaworldposted 12 years ago

First congrats!

I am interested in Amazon and will definitely look for your book and how has come up.

I have written a hub on self-publishing.  It is wroth giving a look.  But Amazon is amazing...

<link snipped>

znaworld~your link did not make it, could you send it to me via message?  I would be interested in reading it, thank you!

10. Adventure Colorad profile image78
    Adventure Coloradposted 12 years ago

Good job on the book.  I've been thinking of publishing a book on Amazon, but so far I haven't been able to sit down and write for it.  Good luck with the sales!

smile  Ah, now that is the one thing that keeps so many writers unpublished!  To be fair this book has been three years in the making, a bunch of it due to procrastination so I understand!  Don't give up!  Pubishing on Amazon has been so easy & they really walk you through the process.

11. kripkrip420 profile image60
    kripkrip420posted 12 years ago

Is it just a coincidence that I have been looking for ways to publish e-books and then I stumble upon this forum topic?

There are some that say there are no coincedences!  I'm glad to be of timely service to you! smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's no such thing as coincidence.  ...unless two things happen at the same time. big_smile

12. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I just checked this out and it looks like it costs $$.

I checked into Dorrance Publishing, I think they are free.

Do you know of any free self publishing ones, etc?

Thanks smile

It costs the author nothing to publish on Amazon and Dorrance is not free, they are more expensive than Tate Publishing without offering half of the services.  If I would have gone for a paid publisher it would have been Tate versus many of the others I have looked up.  Not to mention the customer service with Dorrance left a lot to be desired,  I was unavailable when I got a call {a little busy having surgery} and on their follow up call I was dealt with rudely.  Additional telephone interactions with them have left the same foul taste in my mouth.  I do not recommend them at all.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

really? I guess I saw wrong. Could you give me a link or something. Thx so much!

smile

2. GusTheRedneck profile image60
        GusTheRedneckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh - Dorrance !  Back a zillion years ago when I worked with a publisher, a nice (but really foolish) lady came in to offer her manuscript to us because Dorrance was "too expensive" for her very limited income (like close to zero was that income).  The manuscript was named something like, "Story of my life." It was sort of typed onto some raggety-looking paper, all dog-eared with food stains, coffee stains, and hand scribblings all over it.  I read several pages. The thing was plain terrible. A little kid in the third grade could have done better than had this nice lady. 

Then she showed me the "acceptance letter" from those kind people at Dorrance.  They praised the manuscript to the skies. Never had they reviewed a manuscript that had more promise, etc. They told the gal that her "book" would sell like gangbusters. As I recall, they asked for $3,500 to start working on her "book" with several additional costs if she elected more than the usual services from them. 

I hated myself for doing it, but I looked her in the eye and told her to go home and forget about writing books. She left the office in tears, but I truly hope that she took my advice. 

In other words, Dorrance was, to my view, a pack of thieves in vanity press clothing.  Maybe they have changed by now.  I saw a leopard one time without spots.  All things are possible.

13. profile image0
    Cousin Fuddposted 12 years ago

So cool! Congratulations!

Thank you, Cousin Fudd! I adore your name choice, by the way!!  It's awesome!  smile  smile  smile

14. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

Excellent to publish and write about. I to have two books of Poetry at Amazon and Smashwords. Your exactly correct, everything is simple, they give you basically a step by step instructions on how to publish at their store. The formatting a designing of your book cover is the most work you will have to do and decide upon, otherwise a simple procedure. Although no guarantee of sales, but heck sure is nice seeing your book published and you can also turn it  into a book size of your choice. I went with Kindle Ebook to start, but now am having them both available as well in hard cover. It's a simple ESBN free number from Amazon and setting a price and it's done. Again, congratulations and good luck with the sale of your book.

That's really great, saddlerider1!  Thank for helping me show how easy it is.  May I ask how you went about turnung them into hardcover copies? I have a lot of people asking for real books but I'm not really clear on the process & quality of service of Createspace.  I would appreciate your insight,

15. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

Congrats! I'm actually going to be a self published author soon as well from Kindle. That is a real milestone to hit when breaking into the publishing area as a first timer.

Thank you and equal congratulations to you.  What is the name of your book?

16. profile image53
    ps acainaichposted 12 years ago

Congratulations Chaotic Chica!! I wish you the best. You have truly been an inspiration to me with this information. I have looked into many publishing companies and have most recently been looking into finding an agent. (That has been harder work, for m,e then actually writing the manuscript.) I had looked into Amazon sometime ago and was unsure of it, but after following this form and reading everyone else’s input, I believe it’s time for me to move forward. Thanks to all.

Thank you.  I found seeking an agent to be exceedingly difficult as well, especially since my only published works are newpaper articles.  That is when I found Amazon and have been pleased with the results thus far.  I wish you lots of luck and be sure to let me know when you publish!

17. Tim Matthews2011 profile image61
    Tim Matthews2011posted 12 years ago

Congratz! I just recently finished the manuscript for my book. Getting ready to send it in to Tate Publishing. But, seeing as how I came across your post, and that it doesn't cost anything on Amazon, I may hold out and finish my book and publish through them instead. Cheers! smile

Good for you, Tim!  If I were to pay for publishing I do believe Tate be reputable and worth the money, especially since you would eventually get it back, but $4K is more than I had.  I have not yet been able to but it appears it is equally easy (and free) to publish on Barnes & Nobel for the Nook as it was to publish on Amazon for the Kindle.  Either way it's a great way to get your book published and garnish attention and fans (and revenue) before paying for physical publication.  Let me know when it's out; I want to check it out.  smile

18. profile image0
    peter.matthewsposted 12 years ago

This is very interesting, as I have just finished my book on child abuse it would be something I would consider. do you need a kindle though to be able to publish, or can you buy the software for your pc.

Actually, as an author, you do not even have to have a Kindle and there is a free download for your pc anyway so there really is no cost to you.

And please be sure to let me know when it is up there or when it is published regardless of the means.  I volunteer with a local coalition whose focus is on preventing child abuse so I am definitely interested in reading your book.

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60

And please be sure to let me know when it is up there or when it is published regardless of the means.  I volunteer with a local coalition whose focus is on preventing child abuse so I am definitely interested in reading your book.

1. Sneha Sunny profile image86
          Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey!! congrats... big_smile

Thank you, very much.  smile  I appreciate that.

19. lankaexotic profile image71
    lankaexoticposted 12 years ago

I have a book written, and it was with me for quite some time without knowing what to do. Thanks for giving me this idea of publishing it for Kindle. I read a lot about it this morning. Hope to share my experiences with you in future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)