Google Ads - Coincidence or Targeted?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

Recently I've noticed Google ads for hotels I've been writing landing pages for when I read hubs. Is it just coincidence? Or does Google place ads based on the individual reader's search habits? Is anyone else seeing ads for recent search results showing on the hubs you read?

Just curious.....

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google tracks everything you do and targets you.  Every site I've written for, even client sites, their ads will appear on other sites I'm visiting that target visitors interests.  I use an ad blocking add-on for Firefox and that helps, but yes, they track every move you make and are blatant about it.  I am veering away from Google more and more and using alternative search engines.

bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind the ads. They appear where they should and don't block what I'm reading. They're also a part of our AdSense program here on HP. I was just curious about how they're chosen and whether or not they're static or different for each reader.

2. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have the ability (if you are signed-up with Google for anything) to turn some of those preferences off on their end, which you should be doing if you don't want to be tracked.  Likewise, there are additional settings in your browser, and on your computer to contribute towards this.

Using ad-blocking software just blocks you from seeing ads.  To not be tracked and targeted requires different actions.

How do I do that, Relache?

1. relache profile image71

Thanx, Relache.

2. missolive profile image60
      missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes! Isn't it amazing? I do NOT like it. I might be foraging around Overstock one day and then they stalk me (through Google ads) for several days. Same with travel plans and everything that goes with it. They'll even be on the ads in Facebook. It is a love hate relationship. I love data and how it benefits us a online writers, but I don't want to feel smothered and hovered upon. It's kind of like those employees that follow you all over a store and don't let you shop in peace, then when you need an employee you can't find one! ha! big_smile

Yeah, missolive I hate those salespeople, too. But when you need one, they're nowhere to be found!

What's funny about the Google ads is I'm not shopping for a hotel. I'm researching articles I'm paid to write. I guess it's a good thing Google can't get into our heads!

3. vocalcoach profile image95
      vocalcoachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So this is why I keep seeing these ads.  I don't like it.  Been wondering why a recent search for a particular item shows that item on every site I visit.

1. Chinaimport profile image79
        Chinaimportposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You control what you want to see.  Google allows you to opt out or modify ads setting.  Please see the link in my post above.

Thanx, China.

2. bravewarrior profile image87

I didn't notice it until recently, Audrey. It is annoying.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is targeting. I see this all the time. So far it does not bother me, for I never click on ads. It is rather spooky, though. I mean, if Google does it, who else does?  Eye in the sky?  We are being watched all the time on the net.

I agree. It's a bit intimidating.

5. robhampton profile image92
      robhamptonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Clear the cache and history

Rob, I keep forgetting to do that. Thanx for the reminder.

2. missolive profile image60
    missoliveposted 9 years ago

my understanding is Google customizes the ads to the reader's browser habits and history.

That makes sense. I guess I just never paid attention to it until now.

3. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

They're tracking you all right. I recently looked up a certain bra on Amazon, then I had bras popping up all over my pages. Sometimes they can get really funny. I was Googling something one day that had noting to do with intestines, and then laxative ads started popping up all over. I think the name of what I was researching was similar.

MizBe, that's too funny. I guess it's a good thing only you see the ads!

4. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 9 years ago

Not a coincidence.  Try searching for something on Google or Amazon, you will suddenly start seeing ads for what you were searching for as you visit other sites.  The power of targeted Internet marketing.

Rock, it seems Google needs to re-think how they target. It makes more sense to show ads that relate to the content, not what each individual searches for. They're doing a lot more work than necessary. And how successful is it really? I wonder what the stats are on that.

5. Chinaimport profile image79
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

You can change your ad settings or completely opt out of the Google ads program using this link

http://www.google.com/settings/ads

6. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

This is interesting. I don't want to get rid of Google ads, but what I don't understand is that every hub I look at has more  ads for weight loss than anything else. I have never looked at weight loss sights or done searches for such, so if they are tracking my Internet usage and choosing suitable ads for my interests something is wrong.

Jodah, I don't know how they come up with that. None of your hubs are about weight loss. If your computer isn't searching weight loss info and your text isn't about weight loss, how is that topic chosen by Google? Strange.

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Yes, it happens to me all the time. It's a little annoying to know that Google watches our every move and then tries to sell us something based on that.

I guess Google is just doing their job, but it is annoying. I always thought the ads would be chosen to match the topic. At least that way there'd be a better click through rate!

8. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

You can also sign up for disconnect.me

9. agvulpes profile image85
    agvulpesposted 9 years ago

I agree that it is annoying especially after you have already purchased a product and could get it cheaper through the google ads!
    On the other hand what would you prefer the ads to be about ?
    Something that you have never had an interest in buying?

The ads should relate to the content. Wouldn't that make more sense and attract more buyers?

1. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the ads are relating to the content (in my case at least) they are just a little bit late. smile
        I don't know if it makes a difference but here Google is run by their Australian office  (or so I believe) and they may serve ads differently than Google elsewhere?
        I have found that eBay do the same sort of advertising and to me it does make sense even though, at times it does feel creepy smile

The ads I'm seeing that relate to recent searches are on the top of the hubs and below the comments section, regardless of the content.

2. relache profile image71

Google decides what ads to serve, and whether they are going to try and get you to click based on content or recent interests is their game, so whatever we think is really moot.

The main thing to remember is that Google is targeting ads, and what you see when you view your own Hubs is going to be really different from what each individual user sees when they visit.

I've figured that out. Thanx for everyone's input. Mystery solved!

10. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 9 years ago

Google obviously knows I live in Latvia. I have had ads about things here in Latvia, ads in Russian and Latvian. I do also see ads in English. Occasionally on other hubs which aren't poetry I have seen ads related to the content. Lately a lot of ads about investing are showing up.

11. rhenop86 profile image60
    rhenop86posted 9 years ago

It depends on your google adsense account setup for ads targeting. You can always change it if you like.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)