Squidoo Transfers to Begin Today

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (233 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

According to Paul Deeds' forum post, transfers of articles on Squidoo are beginning today.  Has anyone had their account transferred yet?  If so, how did it go?
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123836? … ost2621573

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't seem to find the link that says it, but I think this was put off till the 1st or 2nd of September?

EDIT: It was on the Squidoo Blog if I remember right

Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The info is on the forum post I linked.  Here's what Paul Deeds said:

"I can't speak with 100% authority about what will happen on the Squidoo side in regard to locking of accounts and deleting of lenses, but on our side we are going to start moving accounts that opted in beginning as soon as August 25."

Ooh okay. Lindasmith had linked about the new change in date from Squidoo's end someplace else. I'm waiting for someone who just moved over to post as well. Wanna see what they look like

Me, too.  I don't have a Squidoo account, but this whole scenario is mind-boggling.

1. Marie Flint profile image75
              Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With all you technical savvy, Writer Fox, I can't imagine you being mind-boggled!

I've tried to stay out of this whole transfer discussion, but you know that I always answer your questions so I guess I have to say something now.

My mind is boggled that HP agreed to accept 175,000 pages of content (featured to search engines) from a failed website that only made $18,640 last month from its major advertising income.  Hardly enough to pay the Squidoo salaries for 15 people!  I am also stunned that HP agreed, according to Seth Godin's Blog, to take on 7,000 pages of content from HugDug, since many of those pages only have 100 words of content. Notice the words Seth used: "HubPages is acquiring the key assets . . ." This is not a sale, nor is it a merger.  The content being transferred is owned by the writers, not the website. It looks to me like Seth found a way to get out from under the financial drain without too much egg on his very public face.  HP can certainly use some more good writers; however, it needs content that will make money, not drain money and resources.

For the individual Squidoo writers, I think this decision is a good thing for them because:
                1) Their content might perform better on HP;
                2) Their content will have a place to live, at least temporarily, when Squidoo pulls the plug in September.

In remains to be seen what increasing the content available to search engines by 52% over the course of 30 days will do to this website, not to mention that much of the new content will duplicate ideas (a big Google Panda No-No) already on the HP site.

This huge Seth Godin failure barely garnered a few paragraphs on search engine news sites.  Godin, it seems, is not the big news that he perhaps was years ago.

Squidoo traffic began a nosedive in October, 2012, and has hit rock bottom.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9207672_f248.jpg

By this time next month, scientists will begin to dissect this Squid impact on HP's presently stellar stats.  Wait for it.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9207675_f248.jpg

1. makingamark profile image71
                  makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do the quote functions not work? I did as instructed and can see the quotes in preview but they're not coming through on publication. I'll add them in again - so apologies to those who see them twice!

"[Writer Fox]The content being transferred is owned by the writers, not the website. ......HP can certainly use some more good writers; however, it needs content that will make money, not drain money and resources.

Agreed

"[Writer Fox]In remains to be seen what increasing the content available to search engines by 52% over the course of 30 days will do to this website, not to mention that much of the new content will duplicate ideas (a big Google Panda No-No) already on the HP site.

There's no copyright on ideas - that's a basic principle of copyright.  The fact that there might be two hubs on the same topic will, I assume, mean that the better site will do better - and the second site will also be improved as a result.

Any content (i.e. words and images) which duplicates content on HubPages was out of order on Squidoo before any mention of the merger/acquisition - just as much as it would have been if it were the other way round.

The notion that much of the content duplicates what's already on Squidoo is a bit insulting to lensmasters don't you think?  That suggests that most of the lensmasters are out and out plagiarists. Not helpful IMO.

One of the things which will keep good writers and the external traffic that their sites already generate is the way they are treated as they arrive at HubPages.  We know we're very lucky to have somewhere to go - however I'm sure we would all agree that nobody deserves to be treated in a way which is offensive whether they are 'oldhands' or 'newbies'.

From everything I've heard from people who have been lensmasters/hubbers for some years the problem exists on both sites - and the system for sorting this out is better on HubPages.

The major points are:
                  * the matter will resolve itself - the grace period is only 4 months
                  * as of Sunday it's now very apparent that a very significant amount of content has already left the Squidoo site and will not be coming to HubPages.  The nature of the lensrank shifts suggest that there's good reason to think that a lot of this content was in the top 175,000 lenses when the deal was done.
                  * many people are only bringing their lenses here because they had just a WEEK to sort matters out. (You try moving 150+ sites in a week!). A lot of the content will be going to other sites within the 4 month period - but over a much more manageable timescale and hopefully without any knee-jerk reactions having been backed into a corner.

How did you calculate the 52%? I'm interested to know which numbers you used

1. lisavollrath profile image92
                    lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed about a significant amount of content disappearing on Squidoo. The ranking on all of my lenses took a huge jump over the weekend. I think a lot of people are either clearing out stuff that won't transfer, or moving it to other sites.

2. profile image0
                    calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The notion that much of the content duplicates what's already on Squidoo is a bit insulting to lensmasters don't you think?  That suggests that most of the lensmasters are out and out plagiarists.

You have misinterpreted the post.  He didn't say the articles are word-for-word duplicates, his point is that the same subjects people wrote about on Squidoo have already been covered here.

For example, people wrote about the best  accessories for such and such phone on Squidoo. At the same time, people have been writing about the best accessories for such and such phone on HP.  The point is, will HP really benefit from having more articles about the best accessories for such and such phone?

3. Writer Fox profile image32

Google Panda is not about a question of copyright.  If you want to know more about the algorithm and how Google looks at "duplicate ideas", see my Hub on Google Panda. This isn't a discussion about insulting you people who were writing on Squidoo; this is a discussion about the effects of adding content which duplicates ideas already on HP.  If you learn more about Google Panda and what it did to the HP site in 2011, you will understand why this is an important concern to those of us who receive 95% of our Hub traffic from Google.

And, I didn't accuse anyone of plagiarism and it's offensive for you to say that I did.  It's plain to see that you are angry about all of this, but you should direct your anger toward Seth Godin and his management of Squidoo.

Adding 175,000 pages available to search engines increases HP content available to search engines by 52%. (Divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.)

4. Nancy Hardin profile image60
                    Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your astute and open-minded comments. I had 353 pages on Squidoo to transfer. They have not started coming over yet, although I pushed the transfer button almost immediately when it was announced.

I've seen "the good, the bad and the ugly" on Squidoo. Whenever we saw any of the bad and ugly, we sent in abuse feedback, the same thing I would expect Hubbers to do, if we don't live up to your expectations. That being said, I understand how protective all of you must feel about your site. We probably would have felt the same way, should the reverse have occurred.

We know that there will most likely be those ex-Squids who either do not make it, or choose to leave.HP. If they haven't the credibility or the "chops" to make it, they will be weeded out in time. We have four months to make it or break it, and I don't believe for one moment that HP, with all the good writers here, will go down the tubes in that four months. We also need to take into consideration those ex-squids whose writing contributions will boost HP.

I would say, give us a chance to fit in, to do our best, and if it's not good enough, then kick our patooties out! Time will tell, who stays and who goes. Those who stay will do nothing but advance HP's prestige online. Thanks for letting me have my few moments on your forum.
                    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9209304_f248.jpg

5. Brite-Ideas profile image95
                    Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said. A lot of people are cutting pages before moving here, and of course, some have no time to do this because of the short notice. I had just over 600 pages. I deleted about 60 or so because I know my heart just won't be into reworking them. When the rest of my pages get here, some will stay, and some will get yet another cut; either moved off of Hub or outright deleted. It's impossible to work 600 pages in a week. Four months will even be hard.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We may begin moving a small number of closely-monitored test accounts this week and will ramp up the import around September 2nd. There is still quite a bit of back work and testing left to do.

1. pkmcruk profile image67
        pkmcrukposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that update Marina - there's quite a lot of people anticipating an imminent move so that's useful to be able to feedback to them - they can stop watching their dashboards!

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Thank you for the information, Marina.  I hope the earthquakes are over.

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As of the time of my post, they've had 14 quakes in the Bay Area so far today.

http://earthquaketrack.com/v/sf/recent

Wow!  That looks like the map of rocket alerts in my neck of the woods.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
          Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the earthquakes are ever over. The one on Sunday morning did not hit very hard in San Francisco. I actually slept right through it. big_smile

Does HP have the website backed up someplace other than California?  I'm seriously concerned!

3. Just Ask Susan profile image90
        Just Ask Susanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for letting us know.

3. ecogranny profile image83
      ecogrannyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine came through today. Some came through a bit weird. Several are missing photos, among other things. I have a lot of work ahead of me in the next forty days. For once I am grateful I am such a slow writer, as I had only a little over 100 lenses to transfer. Lots of folks have 300-400 lenses, and some have multiple accounts. I surely do hope experienced Hubbers will be patient with all of us as we hustle to reformat and bring our new hubs into compliance with HubPages guidelines and rules.

4. DAD1104 profile image67
      DAD1104posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay, no problems

2. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

The migration beings September 2nd, according to this post at Squidoo:

http://hq.squidoo.com/squid-news/import … ransition/

Paul Deeds, Co-Founder and General Manager of HubPages, says HP is starting today with people who have opted in for the transfer.

2. pkmcruk profile image67

I think there's a few of us "early adopters" or people who opted into the transfer very soon after the announcement that are waiting with baited breath.

The latest post from Squidoo HQ states "If you haven’t deleted your account by August 29, 2014, your account and pages will be moved automatically to HubPages beginning on September 2nd. Some accounts may move sooner, but those will only be from the group who has opted in. "

To me that means:

1. If you opted in early then as originally advised and in line with what Paul Deeds has said content will start moving from today.
      2. If you didn't opt in AND you don't delete your account then content will start moving from 2nd September.

1. profile image58
        Kayhefebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for you

3. lisavollrath profile image92

What I'm seeing in the post I referenced is this:

"3. September 2, 2014: HubPages will begin the import of opt-in members. We expect this to move quickly, and you will be notified by HubPages once your account is transferred."

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For those that opted-in, lens migration could begin as early as today.  Could.  For all we know, they might have all sorts of back end problems for days.

Anyone who thinks this is going to happen quickly, smoothly or without undesired after-effects has no idea what they think they are talking about.

Absolutely!  It's one of the reasons I opted in very early - get them moved and then sort out the mess afterwards. I am sure that the HubPages team will do everything they can to manage the migration but there are inevitably going to be "issues." 

I only have to think of the challenges that we faced when migrating from one personnel system to another which had been many months in the planning.

2. lisavollrath profile image92

I think what they're expecting to happen quickly is the actual sucking of articles from one site to the other. Having been through this sort of transfer of content from one site to another on a much smaller scale, once the scripts are in place, the import part happens pretty fast. It's what happens after the scripts are finished running that isn't so quick and easy.

And now, I must go hover over my inbox, and my Squidoo dashboard, and my HubPages account with bated breath...

3. makingamark profile image71

Transferring data from one system to another is nerve-wracking - and as I know well of old this is very definitely one of the areas where things can go spectacularly wrong.

I spent a considerable amount of time last week backing up all my sites so that if something goes wrong in the transfer I've still got all my content.

Speaking for myself I would really gave liked to be given the option of opting for a category which was NOT 'Early adopter (PS also subject to all the beta testing mistakes)' and was instead "Wants to move sooner rather than later but only after all the problems are sorted!

I like that. I want the late adopter option!

2. profile image0
        Prosperity66posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox, does the fact that the domain name is paid till 2018 have an impact?

The fact that the Squidoo domain name has been paid until then doesn't mean the site will be online until then.  It is my understanding that the site will go offline at the beginning of October.

1. profile image0

The site is closing in October but what if the domain name is still on? I mean it's paid till 2018 - I think HugBug (that is how I name it) is also paid till 2018. I know the webhost should be also up and running but isn't there any option for the webhost to become shared with a very low price so as to keep the 301 live till 2018?
            Actually the wording is this one:

Starting in a few weeks, all traffic to Squidoo will automatically be redirected to the relevant pages on HubPages instead. We’ve been busy building transfer tools that will make it easy (and mostly automatic) for content to move from the Squidoo site to HubPages. Together with some members of the Squidoo team, I’ll be working with HubPages to ensure that we make the best possible transition and impact going forward. Squidoo pages will cease to be visible in September or early October.

In case the 301 redirect doesn't last for more than two months, it's just another lie from Mr Godin...

Send him an email:
              seth@sethgodin.com

1. profile image0

ROFLMAO. As if he would take the time to answer... He doesn't even allow comments on his blog wink

Yeah, I know.  But he says that he does read his own email, even though he may not answer it:
                  http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/contact.asp

1. profile image0

I'm not one of the Godin's faith you know big_smile But who knows, I might end up writing this mail and let you know if I ever get a reply...

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Lens transfers start today for users who opted-in to moving early.  That's been stated on BOTH HubPages and Squidoo since this whole move was announced. 

People will receive email when their account moves over.

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

It will be interesting to see how lenses convert into hubs, I want to see this too.

5. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Haha love the last image! Btw writer fox there's gonna be 301 redirects so not much to worry about duplicate content. Unless you were talking about already existing hubs that are similar to the lenses moving over.

BTW one big worry is the fact that lenses that weren't ranked at all have been entering tier 3! That's basically saying a lot of lenses have been moved already to other sites or scrapped totally.

Either way, there's not 175k pages of high quality coming over, there's also some that don't deserve to be here. The scary part is that they're going to remain featured for 4 months!

Anyway back to topic - Anyone moved yet?

The arbitary cut off for being featured of 175K (it used to be 450K) is no indicator of the quality of pages and merely an indication of the elements which went into the algorithm. So to say that pages which are/were ranked below 175,000 are of lesser quality is not necessarily true.

There are no doubt pages ranked better than 175,000 which are of poor quality in the same way that there are no doubt featured hubs on HubPages which could be of a better standard.

If you have a Squidoo article that is not in the top 175,000 when it is moved, all you have to do is make a slight edit (changing one single word) and that will send it through the QAP process for review.  Within 3 to 24 hours, it will either become a featured Hub or you will be given an opportunity and advice on how to improve it.

You can find out more about how the QAP process works here:
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

This is the ratings chart for creative writing like poems and short stories:
        http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#creative

This is the ratings chart for articles:
        http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Here are examples of Hubs and what ratings they received:
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#mturk-hit-examples

Thanks Writer Fox that's a useful set of links which I will point others to.

Without checking none of my lenses are any lower than circa 55,000 but I will certainly be doing some early editing to get them into the QAP and see how they come through.

I have been encouraging others to create some Hubs to get used to the process. I have been doing that because although I have an existing account I haven't created any for a while. It all seemed to run smoothly, quite speedy processing and the other day I got a "You have passed Bootcamp" which was a surprise as I didn't realise I was in it. But good to know all the same.

You're welcome.  If you are a conscientious writer, I think HP will work out well for you.

2. ajtyne profile image61
          ajtyneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. These are helpful links!

You're welcome.  I know it's a lot to absorb all at once and it really is difficult to find some of the instructions on HP sometimes.

2. sockii profile image71
        sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

^ What pkmcruk said!

Back in July I started moving some Squidoo lenses to HubPages (my other account), because I could not keep them from dropping into WIP status - meaning that their lens rank was worse than 175,000.

One of those WIP/poorly ranking lenses has been selected here as an Editor's Choice in Travel. Another got huge traffic because the husband of an author I wrote a memorial to linked to it on his Facebook page. They have all received far better traffic on HubPages than they ever got on Squidoo, they are articles I'm proud of, and I don't think it's fair to say that just because a lens is poor ranking in Squidoo means it's poor content.

I did preemptively delete about 30 of my 250 lenses before the transfer; some to move to my own sites, some simply because I knew they weren't worth saving for here or elsewhere.  I am sure I'll be trashing another 50 or so that I just didn't have the time to deal with before the transfer, but might have elements I want to salvage into something new.

Squidoo's failure, imho, has a lot less to do with the quality of a lot of the writing there but how they mistreated some of their best performing and most qualified writers in the past year, locking lenses that were perfectly valid, making changes that hurt lens performance instead of improving it.

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree! "Squidoo's failure, imho, has a lot less to do with the quality of a lot of the writing there but how they mistreated some of their best performing and most qualified writers in the past year, locking lenses that were perfectly valid, making changes that hurt lens performance instead of improving it." ~ sockii

What exactly happened in October, 2012?  Is that when the Megan person left and the Bonnie person took over?

1. profile image0

Yes. At least that is what I think.

Thanks for answering this question.  I'm going to write an article about the demise of Squidoo for another website.  I just spent two hours reading old posts on the Squidoo forum.  It seems that many, many writers were unhappy with management decisions since Megan left.

1. profile image0

I'm one of them. That is why I focused more on my HubPages account - despite the fact that I didn't take any advantage of subdomain introduction, I've always felt safer here than on the other side.

2. pkmcruk profile image67

If you want to read a good analysis of the situation Greekgeek's post today on her blog is well worth reading.

Changes in management and ever increasing payouts had a definite impact on the site. You are very luck to have such an involved CEO (Paul Edmondson) here and it's something which I know many Squidoo people will be pleasantly surprised by.

Would that be "ever decreasing payouts?"

What I don't understand is how the guy could let the business fail for two solid years and not come up with any idea on how to turn it around.

2. makingamark profile image71

Ditto to what Paul said

Greekgeek always came up with very sound and robust explanations for what was going on - most of which was apparently ignored by HQ

PS I've got a very healthy balance sitting on my dashboard right now. It's the tier income from advertising which has crashed.

3. makingamark profile image71

Why tell the story if you weren't part of it? It's never going to be as good as those who understands the situation a lot better than somebody who is coming to it cold. They also access to have much better evidence and data than you could ever have if you were not part of it.

There are a lot of good people who have already told the story who were sat in the middle of it, who piped up about problems only to get banned from forums for their supposed negativity.  They've been writing about the end of Squidoo for a while and are now releasing further instalments of the story.

4. makingamark profile image71

It depends which forum you read - the censored one from which many people were banned or the "we've moved on to a better place" Yuku forum where people have expounded at length over the last two years as to what went wrong.

However the authors of those posts are in a much better position to tell the story of Squidoo.

Yeah, I was talking about duplicate ideas between Hubs already on HP and the new articles moving in from Squidoo. 

Also, I don't see any value to a 301 redirect once Squidoo is taken offline.  When that happens, the 301s disappear, too.

Writer Fox, the 301 redirects would help get them some sought of ranking boost in the beginning (Approx the same as what they already had). It would eventually go away, but that would give them enough time to gain some new links (that's the plan I guess)

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My hope is that they will remain published, not featured, for 4 months and only high quality lenses stay featured.

3. bettyshares profile image59
      bettysharesposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the update.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Scroll to the bottom of this page you can see the number of published hubs: http://hubpages.com/about/us

Not all of them are featured just a certain percentage of those. Writer Fox probably got the exact number of featured hubs and hence got the 52% (value).

@MAM, it's understood that what's said may be taken in the wrong way. I'm sure Writer Fox only meant that hubpages and squidoo are two different sites - each with many writers which in turn brought out the problem of similar content. It doesn't mean that some lensmasters are plagiarists.

It's simple knowledge that before writing something most people are going to check for similar hubs here on hubpages and tweak their hub to make sure it's put forth in a different angle (In case a hub on the very same topic is already in existence). But now that the two sites are merging, there's a high possibility that two articles that are written in the same sense on the same topic will be clashing for attention - that's about it.

In the end, the best content is going to win which would make hubbers (you and me and all of us) focus on editing our hubs to make them the best on the platform if not the best anywhere on the internet.

Didn't read through what I wrote as I'm on my phone. Forgive me for any grammatical errors.

Nope - I can't see the number of hubs. Is that on the main site rather than the Discussions Forum?

Yes, it's on the link I provided: http://hubpages.com/about/us (Bottom of the linked page) not the bottom of the forums page big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a huge assumption that writers check what's already on the site before they write a new Hub.  I doubt that's the case.

1. Valerie P Davis profile image74
          Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I sure don't. If I have an idea for a good article, and it looks like there's good search traffic and not much competition, I don't worry about whether any of the competition is on the same host. (As a matter of fact, I avoid reading similar articles, so I won't get discouraged by someone else's wonderfulness.)

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60

Agreed Valerie! With as many writers as there are online, there are very few topics that haven't been covered. However, you can always cover them from a totally different angle, a different viewpoint, and a totally different title. The same...only different, haha!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa:

I think you are correct.

However, we do get a warning if our title has already been used, and oftentimes changing the title forces a change in the slant in the way an article is written.

5. toptengamer profile image87
      toptengamerposted 9 years ago

Writer Fox,

Perhaps you have a greater understanding of this topic than I do. I guess it was my understanding that since a 301 is a permanent, rather than a temporary 302, all juice is redirected to the new location permanently.

Are you saying if the previous site goes away it "undoes" this redirection in Google's eyes? Also, we know that all "content" is going away from Squidoo in October; however, I'm not certain that the site itself won't stay in place for quite a while. Do you know more on that?

A 301 is a permanent redirect.  However, if you want Page A redirected to Page B, the URL for Page A must still be online.  If the site hosting Page A is offline, there is no way to redirect the URL.

I have no idea if any of Squidoo will be online after October.  Someone needs to ask Squidoo.

1. toptengamer profile image87
          toptengamerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps this is something that Paul can clarify? My guess is that in the "deal" that was done this is something they talked about as I would think that it would be in HubPages best interest for the 301 redirects to remain in place indefinitely.

Here's some more information on how a 301 redirect works.  This is from a website which moved to a new domain about a year ago:
            http://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
            Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages will own the squidoo.com domain and all 301s will be hosted and managed by us by the end of September.

The 301s are permanent.

That's an extremely helpful answer Paul - that makes complete sense of the redirects proposal.

Thank you

Good decision!

3. Valerie P Davis profile image74
              Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Woot! Woot! Permanent redirects - it's Christmas in August!

4. Brite-Ideas profile image95
              Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for posting this.

5. toptengamer profile image87
              toptengamerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great! Thanks for not leaving us in the dark. I really appreciate it.

6. Nancy Hardin profile image60

Oh Wonderful! That's really great news! Thank you HP for being so accommodating to us, it's truly appreciated.

7. pkmcruk profile image67

Thanks for clarifying that Paul which is very helpful

8. GiftsByDiana profile image48
              GiftsByDianaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paul.
              I am SO relieved to hear this news as I have given out 1,000's of business cards over the years with at least one of my Squidoo pages on them.
              I have also spent many years on forums and on facebook... and have referenced one of my self-help or other Squidoo links when it was pertinent to do so.
              What a relief  smile

6. Arachnea profile image65
      Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Ha! Saw this from my Nook today. First thing I did when I got in this evening was check my lenses. Yup! Still there. I checked my hubs. Yup! Same number.

Now that I am a bit more familiar with the workshop platform, I'm content to peck out a few new hubs and wait for the deluge (all 35) of lenses. Ha!

7. Shorebirdie profile image74
      Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

I was also under the impression that the move will begin around the 2nd for those who opted in.  There's still a bit of work to do, I think.

But, for me who opted-in very early, I would love not to have to wait much longer.  Right now, we can't even edit our lenses or create new ones.  So, there's nothing we can really do over there.

8. Shorebirdie profile image74

My rankings have gone up a bit, but some have fallen.  One thing I've really noticed is that page views there have really dropped big time.  I've noticed it on other sites, too.

On the contrary my traffic is up - but then I've been communicating with my readers via my blog and telling them what's going on.

I don't want them to be confused when they go to their bookmark for a site - and it looks completely different!

Ah. That could account for the jump in my ranking, as well. I let my email newsletter subscribers know I was moving from Squidoo to HubPages.

9. profile image0
      Prosperity66posted 9 years ago

@Marisa, I'm not entirely OK with what you write although they don't always rank them on the 1st result pages. And luckily for most bloggers out there smile

But Google always indexes Blogspot blogs, they even index stolen content hosted on their platform and before the genuine one. So I'm not sure they don't favor their own properties.

In addition it is very hard to have them to suspend those accounts or even have the content removed. Best situation is your genuine content that wlll end up indexed higher than the stolen one - though not always the case.

However I noticed one thing: if you neglected a Blogspot blog, it's hard to make it work as it used to be. Did the experiment with some of my blogspot blogs and one of them never got its former traffic back.

@Lobobrandon - It's something I've often witnessed wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I've had a lot of my content stolen by Blogspot blogs.  In fact I had about six different Hubs stolen just recently.   I've never had a problem getting it removed and most of the time, the whole blog gets closed down.  The main thing is to ensure you use the correct avenue to report it, they're useless if you fill in the wrong form.

1. profile image0

I use the correct one but it is really hard to have them removing stolen content. Not only Google, though. Not long ago we dealt on here with stolen content posted on Blogger blogs. How long did it take for the content to be removed? Not sure it is yet either. But I haven't been looking at the culprit these past weeks.

I don't stress about it, so I usually leave it a month or so before I check to see if it's gone.  So I can't say for sure how long it takes, just that when I do check three or four weeks after my report, it's usually done.

When you consider I've been here 7 years, you can imagine how many DMCA's I've had to file.  I've got some (e.g. on Chinese or Indian sites) that I'll never get rid of, but I've never had any Blogger ones that were refused.

1. stuff4kids profile image61
              stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa,

I've filed DCMAs and they've all been fine.

Still, I currently have three copied hubs and I haven't bothered doing anything about them - just because they are on weird domains and don't seem to show in search results. For all my major keywords, my hubs are the ones that turn up.

Do you think I can just ignore them or should they be dealt with anyway? I mean, isn't Google smart enough to realize that my version is the original and the other has been copied?

2. lobobrandon profile image89

Dmcas against blogspot blogs do work. At least the two times I did it.

I thought it was just me! Yeah I manages to rank #8 for a term that received over 6k searches a month on blogger but gave up on that blog for maybe a year or so. Tried to get it back up with new content and a few links - never succeeded.

1. profile image0

Dunno if you experienced this too but one of the blogs I revived used to get huge traffic during all the time I did not post on it. Suddenly, after the first new post (years later), it stopped. I was extremely surprised to see that big traffic disappear in just one or two days.

Haha sorry for laughing but that's funnier than my case. In my case once I stopped posting it lost all rankings and dropped down to the 9th page or so. In your case it dropped when you began to post again - weird!

1. profile image0

Yeah, funny big_smile big_smile big_smile

I think that most of what happens on the Internet is more a question of personal experience than general rules. One rule may apply to everybody but actually from personal experience how many could say they noticed the rule's impact? Hm...

1. Greekgeek profile image79
                Greekgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This. The more I learn, the more afraid I am to dispense advice, because maybe my experiences are too dependent on my vocabulary. choice of writing topics, or some other quirk unique to my publishing journey that won't apply to anyone else!

Not that I've stopped giving advice altogether. Terribly naughty habit. wink

That blog losing all its traffic when you started posting again sounds extremely aggravating. As a professional web dilettante, my immediate reaction is to howl, "WHHHHYYYYYY?" We can speculate until the livestock come home, but there's no way to know for sure.

1. profile image0

From what I can see, some should have listened to your advice even if you carefully give it nowadays...

Er yes the traffic to the blog was what pushed me to revive it. Mind you... When I saw the disaster... I was quite surprised hmm

10. firstday profile image59
      firstdayposted 9 years ago

Wow … we need to know that.

11. firstday profile image59
      firstdayposted 9 years ago

I switched the topic one of my hubs was under because that was a tough one to figure where to put it.  Now I need to also look at competition because there is a lot of experienced Hubbers in here even from other places.  I am trying to hang in there.  Thanks for any information like this Marisa.

12. aliciaribush profile image58
      aliciaribushposted 9 years ago

Can we able to transfer multiple Squidoo account within one account of Hubpage? I have multiple account of squidoo and  multiple lens in it. And I want to transfer all these lenses in one account of hubpages. So any procedure for that?

Nope it's not possible unless you copy and paste the content of each lense. But you'd lose the chance of getting 301 redirects

1. aliciaribush profile image58
          aliciaribushposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I knew that I will lose the chance to getting 301 redirect but according to HubPages guidelines, they are not allowing multiple account from same IP. So if I create new account of each and every squidoo account, then probably they are band my this current account. So what's the solution for that?

You can have several accounts here.  You do, however, need a separate email address for each account, not a separate IP address.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

You can create multiple accounts from the same IP.

1. jenagain profile image53
              jenagainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, Paul, thanks!

Question - and multiple accounts can be tied to the same AdSense account?

Jennifer

Jennifer, Adsense allows an individual to hold only ONE Adsense account.  Therefore it stands to reason that your only option is to use the same Adsense account everywhere - your blog, HubPages, etc etc.   That includes multiple accounts on HubPages.

13. favored profile image60
      favoredposted 9 years ago

I've been on my lenses today and checked around. Some people that I know have more lenses seem to be missing, but that could also mean they deleted some.

1. Greekgeek profile image79
        Greekgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i deleted dozens of lenses that would take too much work to convert into suitable Hubs and/or were specific to Squidoo (tutorials, Squidoo community, lensographies). I'm sure a lot of people did the same.

1. favored profile image60
          favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek I figured some of them will be useless, but some are just sentimental.  I did go through a delete some, but I think many of the sales lenses will really need fixing.  A lot of work changing them for 2  years just to have them dumped, but you know that.

2. kerbev profile image84
          kerbevposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I deleted several as well.  Especially ones that were specifically squidoo related.  It would be nice if others did the same.  I know a lot of people had things like lenses with their angel blessings and other squidoo specific lenses.  These really have no meaning here.  Perhaps if we get rid of a few thousand lenses, then a few thousand others would take their lensrank spots be transferred over featured.
          I know I have some good lenses that just dropped so far due to lack of traffic that they aren't featured anymore.

Well, you'll get your chance to bring them up to scratch when they transfer.   You do know that all your lenses are being transferred?    It's just that anything not currently Featured will be transferred unpublished.

14. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

Yep. I had utterly burned out on updating to keep up with frequent filter and policy changes, so I hear ya.

It'll be a pain, but I really do think it's going to be more stable here, once we get over the initial hurdles. That's going to sustain me during the updating.

15. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I might have deleted a few more lenses on my first visit to my second account - but for the fact the delete process takes so long (as in "hear the cogs whirring very slow"!)

On reflection on my second visit I decided it was quicker to do a "save as webpage" and review again when they get here!

However it is very clear that a substantial amount of content has moved off Squidoo - but whether that is deletions or moves to other sites is debateable.

I rather suspect that in the wait for the transfer, those lenses people know are moving elsewhere might be being reconfigured as new sites elsewhere and then deleted via the link on the dashboard - as in there's no need for them to go to HubPages. The longer the wait, the more likely this is to happen - assuming the delete button works.

Not that I'm testing it you understand!

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Still nobody getting their lenses transferred in yet? I am curious to how it will all go and look!

1. Margaret Schindel profile image95
          Margaret Schindelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Transfers are scheduled to begin on September 2nd (Tuesday).

2. lakeerieartists profile image63
        lakeerieartistsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is exactly what I have done MaM. First of all, I didn't have time to review all of my lenses. I deleted the ones that were Squidoo specific, and left the rest to review once they are here.

As to numbers of lenses, besides the fact that many people have either had accounts locked and closed or left voluntarily in the last two years, with the latest announcement a slew of lensmasters just took their stuff and ran with it, not wanting to come to Hubpages. That will affect all of the numbers.

As to the discussion regarding how Google ranks subdomains, I believe that both of you, Marissa and Writerfox are simplifying the entire process. Google seems to treat its own products better many a time. However, issues are not black and white across the board. Many people do have blogspot blogs both on their own domain and blogger's subdomains. Especially very old blogs that started with Blogger was the place to be. I have one that is at least 7 years old, although I don't use it much.

Marissa, I am not exactly sure what it is that you trying to get Writerfox to say, but really, there are so many factors involved, including the author, their own reputation, SEO practices, Googles filter of the day, and where else they write. Do you think if Seth Godin had a blog on blogspot that Google wouldn't take it seriously? There is no hard and fast rule for any of Google's rules.

That's why I was trying to get clarity, because I feel WF is seeing things as too black and white.  WF is insisting that a Google search will never include  more than two or three Hubs because of the new Google update announced in that video - which says that Google won't show more than two or three results from one single domain. 

The implications of that would be huge for writers.  It says that if you, me, Relache, Greekgeek and WriterFox had all written a fantastic Hub on the same topic, only the best three could show in the SERPs - the rest would never, ever get a look-in.  Whereas if we had each written the article on our own blogs, all of them might be included.  If that were true, writing on any communal site would be a huge disadvantage. 

I think WF is right about ordinary communal sites (e.g. Infobarrel, Zujava etc) - but I think our saviour at HubPages is our sub-domains.  It's pretty obvious to me that Google must make some kind of exception for multi-user sites like Blogger, Wordpress.com etc, otherwise the SERPs would be a nonsense - and our sub-domain structure is just the same.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
            lakeerieartistsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes and no. I don't think that you can separate Hubpages that much from other similar article sites. Zujava doesn't have subdomains. Neither does Infobarrel. So they are not the same at all.
            Blogger is a Google site, so it is in a different category too.

However, I do believe that there is some truth to what WF is saying. SERPs for larger scale keywords will not show a lot of results from the same domain unless there are only a few domains that offer the information. On the other hand, with personalized search everyone gets different results. And, even before personalized search, the same results did not come up every time.

In your example, if all of us wrote about the same topic, we most likely wouldn't all write about the same aspect of that topic, so our hubs would show up in a variety of differently worded queries.

Yes, that's what I said.  Zujava doesn't have subdomains, neither does Infobarrel, nor Yahoo! Voices, nor Helium, nor any of the other rev-sharing sites which have failed.   It was when sub-domains were introduced that  HubPages started to recover, so maybe sub-domains are a crucial part of why HP is still here and the others are either dead or not doing well?

And I'm not sure why you're debating with me and not with Writer Fox. I don't think we're disagreeing, basically - I'm not the one saying there's no point writing about a topic on HubPages if there are already two or three Hubs on that topic, which is why this whole debate started.

16. Shorebirdie profile image74

I saw one guy on thenSquidoo forum who said he had a lens transferred yesterday.

Let the games begin.

2. makingamark profile image71

Really? I haven't read that. Are you talking about the official HQ run Forum?

1. Shorebirdie profile image74
          Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It was on the Squidoo forum, as I initially said in my comment.  He had 1 lens transferred.  He said it looked a lot smaller as a lot of elements were taken out.  So, he's working on editing it.

I found the lensmaster, looked at his Squidoo account, and looked at his hub and looked at the URL of the hub in question

The big question for me is why does this suffix when attached to the squidoo domain (he doesn't have a subdomain) NOT produce a redirect FROM the lens TO the hub.

Next question is how do lens URLs translate through to HubPages URLs

Third question is whether or not this really is a transfer.

Paul (one of the Moderators on Yuku) states
            That person is mistaken - he has created a new hub. His original lens is still on Squidoo.

So I think that probably explains that particular rumour.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

We haven't moved any Lenses to production yet.  Still on track for the 2nd.

Thank you Paul - that's very much what I suspected.

Good to hear that everything is still on track. Thanks for posting.

17. GiftsByDiana profile image48
      GiftsByDianaposted 9 years ago

Really ?
      I wonder how many have been transferred and how they look ???
      Whew, here we go  wink

No Diana - there is NO EVIDENCE THAT ANYTHING HAS HAPPENED and we shouldn't expect anything to happen before 2nd September.

They are STILL beta testing

Try practising patience http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124194

1. GiftsByDiana profile image48
          GiftsByDianaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am being patient  wink
          Just saw the comment about someone's being transferred already and was wondering if it was really true and if so how everything looked  smile

1. PaulOnBooks profile image62
            PaulOnBooksposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The person who claimed to have a transferred lens appears to have manually created a hub with the same title as a lens in his Squidoo account.  I don't know why.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
              Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah, thanks Paul. When he said he has to replace link lists and Amazon modules, I thought he meant they were lost in the transfer. But apparently that's not the case.

2. profile image0

Official forums MaM... Someone left a link to the thread in Yuku...

18. Shorebirdie profile image74

OK, hmmm.  Yeah, someone asked him to produce a link to his transferred lens and he said he couldn't because it was still on Squidoo.  Maybe he was confused about something.

I think we just need to bear in mind that not everybody quite understands what is happening and how it is happening. Lots of people find it all very confusing.

The thing we have all been told is that WHEN the lenses transfer we will get an email

So no email = no transfer

Simples! (as they say over here in the UK!) smile

1. delia-delia profile image79
          delia-deliaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does is actually say somewhere NO email = NO transfer?

No it says - you will be sent an email when the transfer takes place

The converse is also true i.e. NO EMAIL = NO TRANSFER

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I understand Google sees subdomains as separate sites.

20. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

@ ajtyne This is one of the main targets of the Google Panda, from Google's official announcement:

"Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?"

HP already has a problem with this.  Adding 175,000 more pages within the next 30 days is going to create some more problems. I hope HP is at least checking the transferred articles for duplicate titles, because right now you won't find that on HP.

1. ajtyne profile image61
        ajtyneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but this is NOT the same as "duplicate ideas." This is exactly what I was talking about. They are talking about for example, people who put spun content on multiple sites or on the same site so that they can profit from the ads that are displayed with that particular content -- content that was written once and then "spun" either manually or automatically by replacing a few words and rewriting the sentences, but the outcome is still virtually the same content. A properly spun article passes Copyscape but is still thin, unhelpful, repetitive, often stolen content. They are not talking about duplicate ideas. Unless I am not understanding what you mean to be calling duplicate ideas, but from several of your comments, it seems you are talking about articles that were written on the same topic. If two or more persons are striving to write their best content, to truly provide useful information, entertainment or other useful content, there is not a problem that two or more articles are on the same topic. Each person should be bringing something new to the table. In the case where you find that a Squidoo article comes over and closely matches one of your hubs, the best thing to do is to tweak your hub, providing new, fresh information, more up-to-date info or just a different, more personal twist on the topic. That is how you compete. But the SEO of the site is not messed up by the new Squidoo article; the problem would come if the new article provided better or more info than yours, or if the author has more or better links to their article. In such a case it would cause their article to outrank yours and you may lose some traffic, not because of duplicate content/ideas but because of better article promotion (linking) and/or better or more complete content. Google knows HubPages is a multi-author site, made of of lots and lots of "tiny sites" if you will, so there is going to be a duplication of ideas -- there are millions of health articles all over the internet, millions of dog training articles, etc. There is room for all, but only the best will be at the top (at least that is Google's goal, altho it hasn't fully been realized yet).
        This is a bit oversimplified, as there is more involved, sadly, than just quality.
        I hope you can understand what I'm explaining. I don't want to argue, but I think this misinterpretation is confusing and scary to so many people, plus makes a small rift (that could grow) between the people from Squidoo and old Hubbers.
        There are so many misconceptions about seo. When Google's algorithm corrected for those websites that had tons of nonsensical links, many people panicked and still are panicking, thinking they should remove ALL links to their content. They think all links are bad, but that's incorrect. If all links are removed, the search engines really have no way to find content. For the average Hubber, focusing on quality and sharing your content will mean success.

21. Arachnea profile image65

Okay, I still have lenses on Squidoo and no Squidoo lenses on HubPages. Have I missed a post explaining the delay?

Arachnea, they hope to have them all finished by the end of the month. Mine are also still on Squidoo. From what I understand they are moving only a few each day, trying to make sure they come over in good condition. Don't worry, there are lots of us with our lenses still there.

22. ecogranny profile image83
      ecogrannyposted 9 years ago

Arachnea, some accounts have transferred already. Mine and many others have not. As I recall, HubPages expected to have all of the lenses transferred by the end of September. Today is only Day 2. Some of us will have to wait longer than others.

23. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Like you, Arachnea, none of my 76 lenses have transferred over yet.......don't think we've missed any posts, so maybe tomorrow?

1. Paula Atwell profile image68
        Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Give them time. Better slower and done correctly. smile

24. Shorebirdie profile image74

Mine transferred over today.  Most of them look pretty good, too.  They're still on Squidoo, also.

Snakesmum, so glad your transfer has been made. Good for you! I'm going to visit!

Nancy - you have to hit reply in the box relating to the comment you are responding to - otherwise you pick up the last comment posted

Or hit the "post a reply" button bottom right to post without picking up a quote

Comment based on the fact you're responding to the person who posted in the post before the one that is quoted! smile

2. profile image0
          Snakesmumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nancy, No, my lenses haven't transferred over yet; still waiting and hoping!
          And I thought I got in pretty early pushing the green button. :-)

I pushed the button early, but there was a foul up with my account (mostly my fault) that the team had to help me through...but we finally got it straightened away. I suspect that put me at the end of the line, haha! But it's okay, I will deal with it, whenever it happens.

1. profile image0

Whatever happens, we'll deal with it!    I guess a lot of people are ahead of me, due to the time difference between the US and Australia.
              Sorry you had a mix up with your account, and hope to see your lenses here soon now.

Thanks Snakesmum, I'll sure be glad for them to get here. I'm getting "antsy," to work on them.

2. profile image0

Good to hear your lenses, now hubs, look pretty good here.
        Shall go and check them out.  :-)

25. Arachnea profile image65

Thanks all. Seems there's been some progress then.

26. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

Transfers have begun Relache has an account here at HP for Squidoo lenses under the user name Schwarz. You can go check them out. They were all from Squidoo. The process appears to be working well so far. Patience is the key as the HP team are resolving the issues as they arise. Her lenses look great as Hubs! The technical guys here seem to be doing a great job. Thank you all for that.

27. JenwithMisty profile image69
      JenwithMistyposted 9 years ago

I can't wait.  I'm looking forward to working on my new 'Hubs".  smile  I hope they come over soon!

1. profile image0

Me too Jen!    Feels as if it has been forever already.   :-)

28. paperfacets profile image86
      paperfacetsposted 9 years ago

My lenses transferred today. I pushed the transfer button about 2-3 hours into the time of announcement. Seems to be a slow process.

The majority of the pages look pretty good. Each hub will need a summary added. I have deleted two pages, so far.

Hope your trans goes smoothly when it happens.

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I truly hope your sites transfer well. They will add a lot to HubPages.

29. Tracie-Fisher profile image60
      Tracie-Fisherposted 9 years ago

Mine transferred mid-day today.  I'm pleased to report things look pretty good and my stats are showing traffic at the typical rate.  Now, if clicks continue to convert at their old rate I will be the happiest camper on the block.

30. profile image0
      Prosperity66posted 9 years ago

Finger crossed for mine to move this weekend... Good luck everybody with this transfer and the change smile

31. Mick Beet profile image69
      Mick Beetposted 9 years ago

My transfer has  ee  completed

All good

1. favored profile image60
        favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was just on your hub Olympic Rio Australia, but there was no place for comments.  Glad the transfer is completed.  Onward and upward Mick.

1. Mick Beet profile image69
          Mick Beetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that...you can put in a comment now if you like.....cheers Farmermick

32. JenwithMisty profile image69
      JenwithMistyposted 9 years ago

Yay!!! My lenses are finally transferred but I'm a little bummed by some of the red skulls.  Oh well, at least there's not too many smile  I'm just glad I get to start editing now.

1. Mick Beet profile image69
        Mick Beetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

mind too......

33. Arachnea profile image65

mine came over on the 8th ~ i've not had a chance to look at them yet or make changes ~ so little time and so much to do

i just saw that comments came over ~ woot!

34. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

My lenses have been over for a few days now, and today I've cleared the fourth and last of the red skulls.   
      Hopefully no more will appear as they are checked by humans instead of robots, but I'm planning on updating one or two a day until they are all changed to the HP standard.

So far, everything has come over ok, so Thanks HP for making it so easy.

35. jenagain profile image53
      jenagainposted 9 years ago

Hi all (first post)...

I pushed to start the transfer process last night...and I'm completely transferred over now.  In fact, it happened within about an hour or so - very impressive and smooth (thank you, HubPages).

It's an old "other" Squidoo account of mine that I transferred - about 70 lenses.  I'm thinking I'll end up deleting quite a few of them - they're pretty junky at this moment.

The fixing them up process has been pretty good so far - but wow, sure wish we could be delete multiple capsules at one time.  Some things from my old lenses came thru really funky and made a capsule for like each line of code.

But hey, my mouse clicking finger sure is getting a good workout  wink

Anyway, just wanted to say hey to all and good luck!

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer, good to see you here. Welcome to HubPages! I've only been here a few days myself, but I'm loving it. Hope you do too.

1. jenagain profile image53
          jenagainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Nancy!  Nice to see you as well  smile

So far, so good.  I have a lot of unpublished hubs (yep, had some junk over at Squidoo) and only being able to clean up and publish 3 (or is it 4?) a day is really slowing me down.  I want to just get in there and get them all fixed and pretty ASAP (or trash 'em..lol!)

Other than that, I'm thrilled so far.  WAY less buggy then the previous location and the way HubPages flat out TELLS you what the issues with a Hub are is AWESOME!

In fact, it's quite refreshing!

Hope it's going well for you, too!

Jennifer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)