Change Amazon rule - increase the number of words per capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Janderson just submitted some great suggestions on this thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126313#post2666393

and I think this one deserves a suggestion post on its own.

We're always being told to be discriminating with our Amazon capsules - less is more, they must be directly related, etc etc..   And yet the cap on the number of capsules is set at one capsule to a mere 50 words!  This short paragraph is 50 words. 

Would HubPages really approve of a Hub which had an Amazon capsule for every paragraph that size?   I doubt it.  So why have a rule that says it's OK?  It sends the opposite message to the one HubPages is trying to convey.

I don't know what the limit should be set to.   100 words?  150 words?  200 words?  But it needs to be higher, IMO.

1. SusanSaies profile image62
      SusanSaiesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree that 50 words are too few for a product capsule.

I find the current emphasis on HubPro to be confusing, when it seems to me there are basic changes like this one should be implemented first.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I am confused about it. What does this mean? 50 words limit per capsule. Does it mean you are explaining the product in 50 words and say that 50 words is not sufficient for explaining the product?
      Why relating number of words with amazon capsule? If I include amazon capsule, am I required to tell about the product or something related to that product? Why this measurement comes? I think I can simply click the amazon product and show it on my page at any place. Is it not like that?

Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The limit is one Amazon capsule per 50 words of text in your Hub.  So, if you have a 400 word Hub you can have 8 Amazon capsules under the current rules.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Normally we write a hub of 800 to 1000 words. It means you can have 16 to 20 Amazon capsules. Does it look nice? Added to that the normal 5 adsense items. The whole hub will look like an advertising poster instead of hub content. Is it good and reasonable? I may not personally regard it good at all.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Venkatachari M, You can have just one if you'd like. It is up to you.They are saying not to put too many on.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

IMO, Marisa, it should be on a limit of capsules per hub, not mere word count.  That would end product-stuffing right there.

Anyone who wants to make a pure product review hub should have no problem with that either; reviewing a single product should not require more than a single Amazon capsule.

But wouldn't that be unfair?   Then you could have a situation where one person writes a 400 word Hub and can have one Amazon capsule, whereas someone else could write a 1,500 word Hub and still have only one Amazon capsule (or whatever the limit would be). 

Reviewing a single product often requires more than one capsule:  for instance, I have a review of the NYDJ brand of jeans, and I want to show a choice of styles, as the one which suits me might not suit everyone.  And on my Hub on tango shoes, I want to recommend a shoe for beginners and a shoe for the more advanced dancer.

4. peachpurple profile image80
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

oh, i didn't know there is a limit of words for each amazon capsule! Can i write 100-200 words? I like to explain more

That's not what I'm talking about.  There's a limit to the number of Amazon capsules you can have in a Hub.  It's one capsule per 50 words of text in the Hub.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Usually when I write a product hub, I have an introduction that explains what these products have in common (here are the 10 best gadgets in the world), then the descriptions, and then the conclusion.   I think that it should not simply be words per capsule, because that tends to create a spammy ratio, because the intro and conclusion gets counted too.   Maybe a minimum, and then a ratio after that minimum. For example, one capsule for the first 500 words and then one for every 50 or 75 thereafter.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I think one Amazon capsule per text capsule would be a good policy.

I'm not sure that would help, as unscrupulous people could get around the rules by putting just one sentence in a capsule?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that really would be unscrupulous. Maybe one Amazon cap per 400 or 500 words would be better.. Too many Amazon capsules makes a hub look a bit spammy.  I usually write long hubs (1200+) and usually use only two Amazon hubs. Most of my text capsules are 200 words or more, so one Amazon per text capsule for mine would be ok. I used to add a lot more Amazon capsules, till I found out that I get credit for any Amazon product that was purchased through my hub link to Amazon, even if it is not the product I suggested. So, for me, two Amazon capsules per hub is sufficient.

1. Lionrhod profile image78
          Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would say that 1 per 4-500 words is way too strict. Paul suggested that viewer satisfaction goes down when it's less than 125 words/Amazon capsule, so that might be a better amount.

It depends on the type of hub too. One of my hubs is a reading list. On that one, it makes sense to have plenty of Amazon capsules. I'll have to look at it again and do the math, but I'm fairly sure I still clock in with at least 125/words/capsule or more.

Yes, that's what I've noticed. I have a couple of Hubs discussing the merits of various brands of dance shoe, so obviously they need a capsule for each shoe.  That looks a bit too Amazon-heavy I think, but if I count the words I'm way over 125 words for each.   You can't say much about a product in 125 words, after all!  But I also feel 400 would be going too far.

2. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That wouldn't work for poetry hubs that don't have a lot of words but are often split into more than one capsule Phyllis. There could be more Amazon ads than text. As soon as I see a hub that has excessive Amazon ads I just leave without reading any further. I feel the ad description should not be included in the word count and the requirement should be increased to at least 100 words per Amazon capsule.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I don't even turn ads on for my poetry hubs, let alone place Amazon capsules.  No ad has much of anything to do with a poem, and I think it's distracting.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Is this a widespread problem that you've noticed?  I've honestly not seen more than a couple with such a high density of Amazon capsules, but they were also written in very poor English and thus probably not featured. Can you link to some examples?

They probably don't get through QAP, but that's not the point.   The point is that the rule exists, and therefore people can write Hubs that are "legal" as far as rules are concerned, and which then waste the QAP's time because they look so spammy.

On another thread, Paul said they think the limit needs to be 125 words minimum, so my question is - why not just increase it to that, at least, so as not to confuse newbies?

4. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

One product review lenses were introduced by Squidoo.  They were NOT the solution re traffic.

Indeed many would say they were a huge waste of time as they didn't have enough substance to gain traction in the Google ranks.

Totally agreed. I hated that product review format, and my three thinnest hubs (plus one that I unpublished) are the result of that. I've been working on making them more useful.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I don't think anyone's suggesting that.  MsLizzy was just supporting the idea of limiting the number of Amazon capsules per Hub, regardless of size.  I can't imagine they would ever reduce it to one Amazon capsule per Hub so I'm not sure what was behind that part of her comment.

1. ologsinquito profile image82
        ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It seems as if it can only help the situation. I'm for anything that can help.

I have a three review hubs that have one or two products each. Some of my other hubs have 2-3 products at most. Others have zero products. It may take time to see which do best. I'm actually betting on the zero product ones. Time will tell.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

I think, we can have two amazon and two ebay products per one hub. Not more than that. Otherwise, the importance and quality of your hub will get distracted.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Actually, in retrospect, Marisa,
        I'm not sure what I meant by that part of the comment.  I must have been sleep-typing!

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

In light of the new filter, which seems to be penalising Hubs for having too high a ratio of Amazon and eBay capsules to text, isn't it time this rule was changed to reflect what HubPages actually allows?

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes! smile

2. misterhollywood profile image92
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Personally, I favor just one Amazon capsule per hub. When people start recommending too many products, it dilutes the general message of the hub itself. I've seen some hubs in the past that had far too many capsules and it just looked like a click crud.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image91

If the algorithm is indeed counting a ratio different than the rules, the rules do need to be changed to reflect that.  I do agree that the number provided must be a more reasonable one.  50 is way too low.

One of the things I have noticed, though, is that HubPages tries to give people leeway and let them use their own common sense.  They can't go around giving advice on each specific situation. 

Unfortunately, there are people who are hoping to do the minimum work.  If the rules are changed to say 75 words are allowed, some (not all) people will just add enough words to meet that ratio, without actually seeing how many words are really needed to describe that product or use common sense to see if the hub looks spammy.

And if the number of words are changed, this will require people to go back and edit their hubs, which will create another outrage, since there has been a lot of editing recently already.

In light of the new filter, it's likely any Hubs affected have already been unFeatured.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.  I don't know that the rules have changed, but if the algorithm is reflecting different rules, then the rules should be changed to reflect the change.

I am agreeing with you that the rules should be changed - the current rules are too lenient.

I am also agreeing with you that the algorithm and the rules should match.  It isn't fair to have an algorithm be more strict than the rules.

6. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Personally, I feel that 50 words per Amazon ad is too little.
    200 - 250 words per ad would be better.   
    I don't think limiting the amount of Amazon capsules to 1 per hub is a good idea.  Perhaps a limit of 5?

Just my thoughts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)