Am I creative?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (77 posts)
  1. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

Yesterday, a fellow hubber posted on the HP feed about my pi-yo hubs being a nuisance and boring, even when I shared them here on HP and various other social media outlets a few times a week (a few times a day). I've tried to be nice about it and sent him a private email, (in which this hubber should've done iin the first place), and got an nasty email about it.  I believe this hubber called me not creative, since this person wasn't interested in my Pilates-Yoga hubs, when I've gotten other hubbers to comment on it. So I'm asking, do you think I've creative?  I've been here a year, and not really pushing any hubbers here to make money? Do you think my pi-yo hubs are a boring nuisance or real interesting?

1. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can we just park the 'creative' issues and backtrack to what you're actually doing...

You need to make a very clear distinction between the hubs and their content and your behaviour and how you market them. They are two completely different things and IMO you've mixed the two up in your opening post.

You seem to be saying you are sharing your pi-yo hubs on social media a few times a day on social media.

I think if I was a friend or follower I'd be hitting the "I don't want to see this anymore" button pretty fast. 

That's what you risk happening if you share too much and too often - and yes - it is VERY BORING when people do this.

I'm not even looking at your pi-yo hubs. If I've understood correctly what you are doing then I would definitely describe seeing your shares of them as a "boring nuisance".

Sorry if that's not the response you wanted but you did ask!

A good rule of thumb is to only share your own content about 1 in 10 shares - and make very sure that the rest of the stuff you are sharing is really interesting and could never be thought a boring nuisance. That way when they see your stuff you've got them trained to think that the stuff you share is really interesting.

Now whether or not your hubs are really interesting is a question I'll leave for someone else.

1. DasEngel profile image61
        DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I got bored reading this. smile

2. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kristen: What I am about to say is intended as friendly advice, so I hope you won't be offended. Remember, you asked. smile

You followed me the other day, and I followed you back. I don't follow back everyone who follows me. I only do so when I think they might produce something I could be interested in. Because you write about yoga, and I have an interest in fitness, you are a person I was happy to follow.

This was like 3 days ago. In the meantime, I've seen a barrage of yoga-related Hubs in my feed. Old Hubs, your Hubs, shared by you. Is this irritating? Yes it is.

To be honest, when Hubbers repeatedly share their own Hubs on HP that is about the quickest way to get me to unfollow. Your new Hubs will show up in my feed and I will read them if they seem interesting. I don't even mind when Hubbers "share" their own Hubs when they legitimately update them. But when I see a Hubber sharing their own content over and over, yeah, that's annoying.

It is also NOT the way to go about building traffic and readership, by the way. But that's a story for another thread.

I have no idea if you are creative. The content of your Hubs really isn't the issue. If you are doing the same thing on social media as you are here on HP you might want to rethink your strategy. There are better uses of your time, and better ways to bring attention to your work.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am not the Hubber Kristen is talking about in her first post. smile

3. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kristin, I say this affectionately because you are a sweet person: don't share any of your own edited hubs on HP. All new hubs that you publish will appear in your follower feeds automatically. Internal traffic is not what you need. Wherever you heard or read that constant sharing will get you traffic is wrong.

I'd only share *new* material on social media too - if I were the sort of person who did that. To be honest, the only place I ever link to any of my HP stuff is on my own blog, and only then if it is relevant.

Just keep writing (and creating) and let the sharing take care of itself smile

Kristen Howeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Bev for your kind words. Others here are giving me sort-of a hard time, once again.  I'll keep it in mind.

4. Angelique Newman profile image61
      Angelique Newmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think Kristen you asked a very brave and productive question.  They're the only ones that help us grow as a writer.

I can't say much more, All my articles seem to drop off the site due to lack of views..  I don't agree with this, 

I also belong to another site and they keep  up articles; I think  indefinitely.   Each article and the views surpass my expectations. It's not much money but you get to see your work and correspond with other great writers smile

2. Kristen Howe profile image91

I understand.  I share them at least 3x a day--if they're new or updated, I re-share them.  Thanks for the tips. I never had an issue with anyone about it until now.  :-(

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, if I was following you and you were sharing the same hubs again and again, I would just quietly unfollow you. You should thank that hubber
      for letting you know!

Your followers are already notified every  time you write a new hub.  If they are not interested then, why browbeat them to read it?

3. Kristen Howe profile image91

Reading my discussion post?

4. Kristen Howe profile image91

Eric, thanks for the tips. I don't do them a lot every day via social media. Only in the mornings.  I won't go overboard with sharing my hubs.  I just wanted to know.

5. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

You'd probably get more out of writing more hubs in the time you are currently using to share your hubs over and over.

If you think about how people usually use social media, when they use it as intended rather than as an advertising technique, you'll see how your repeated sharing of all of your work would get annoying. In the course of normal social media sharing, people only share things that they think are outstanding. They share things that make them think about things in different ways, give them cool ideas, make them laugh out loud, make them feel something strongly, or otherwise do something memorable and worth sharing.

You need to ask yourself if what you are sharing is really something you'd share every single day if you hadn't written it and got nothing out of sharing it except the feeling of having discovered something cool to share. There are many, many perfectly wonderful, solid, well-written articles out there that just aren't worth sharing over and over again.

1. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1+

6. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks Kylissa. I'll try to be a better hubber and share less every day. I try not to feel bad today.

7. Asa2141 profile image65
    Asa2141posted 8 years ago

Don't feel bad. It's just one of those things that we all learn. I had two violations within the first few weeks I joined! You'll laugh about it later.

I know that a steady stream, based on how much you are on, is best. For example, I'm only on HP a few times a week. If I were to keep resharing my few articles all the time people would get really annoyed!

I

Thanks Asa2141. I had no violations. I only re-share my articles, at least, once or twice a month, especially if the stats haven't changed with reshare or update. I'm on everyday, updating and creating new ones. I only share various hubs each day.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

HubPages should disable the self share option.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid if it were disabled the compulsive self-sharers would find our addresses and mail us print outs of their hubs.

1. paradigm search profile image55
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Actually, they'd just use their account "A" to share their hubs from their account "B".

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Isn't there some type of warning that pops up before you share you own hub? 
      There's no reason to repeatedly share anything we publish.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've seen many hubbers share their own hubs on their feed page. I've never known it to be a rule breaker or violation. I personally do not share my hubs on my feed. I will refer to my hubs only when relevant or germane to a discussion. My understanding was that it was a matter of etiquette not to share our hubs on our feeds or the links in forums. Social media is fine but not too much within a short time. Kristen, I think you've received excellent advice here on how to handle your sharing within HP and outside of HP. No harm, no foul.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is, rebekahELLE,
          It pops up and tells you that frequent sharing of your own hubs is frowned upon by HP.
          I've self-shared hubs a few times, and see that warning each and every time, even though in the 4+ years I've been here, I can count my self-shares on the fingers of one hand with fingers left over.  That's hardly "frequent."  (And I usually only do it if a truly major edit has been done on a hub.)
          So I surmise that the warning should be read more as a "just don't do it" statement than a "not too frequently" statement.

1. janshares profile image92
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that info, MsLizzy. I guess the only way one would know is by sharing.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think there is too.
          I have a hub on how Chistmas can kill your dog, and I share it a few times every December. I know it is not going to get a lot of traffic, but I figure in that period of time there are some new readers on HP that might benefit from the information in the hub.

9. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

As for social media, I'm always sharing news articles; then I'll throw in one of my own missives. This way I keep the hatred down to a minimum. As for torturing my fellow Hubbers, thanks for the reminder; I haven't done so in over a month or more, so I guess I'm due. I'm perusing my possible hubs as we speak. big_smile

10. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks Janshares. I tend to share the same hub at least 2x a month, especially if it needs a fine tuning to bring traffic in.  I hope that said hubber will be fine with it for now on.

Kristen, no that hubber won't be fine with it! If you read the responses you've been given, you will see everyone finds it annoying if you repeatedly share the same hubs with them. Most people are just too polite to complain.

Never reshare a hub to the same people unless you have substantially improved it. If they are interested, they'll read it the first time.

2. Rebecca Rizzuti profile image90
      Rebecca Rizzutiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa's asked you more than once now, and I'd like to know, too: WHY are you sharing your hubs over and over again? Unless you have made SUBSTANTIAL (that means a LOT of context edits) to your hub, your followers have already seen it and have either decided to read it or not to read it.

They aren't likely to click on the link to a hub they've already read before.

Sharing, therefore, does nothing for you if you're sharing the hub to people who have already seen it. To share the same hub repeatedly to your followers within the span of a month is unwise. While it may be a good strategy to share older information on social media and networks such as Facebook or Twitter, it is not practical to share to Hubpages followers, as this internal traffic doesn't generate revenue for you even if your followers do click through.

Since it appears that your goal is to generate more traffic to the hubs you're re-sharing, it bears repeating that your followers probably won't click the link to a hub they've already seen and therefore this strategy doesn't work at all.

I understand Rebecca. I won't share here anymore, unless it's been re-edited.  I want to close this forum feed soon.

1. paradigm search profile image55
          paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your thread certainly released the hounds... big_smile big_smile big_smile

Yesterday I worked up the energy to share one hub, first one in over a month or two I believe. The share resulted in maybe 5 extra views at most. That's really the key; if one shares something and it's generally ignored, then one knows it's time to cease and desist for awhile. Hang in there. smile

11. Kristen Howe profile image91

Okay Marisa. I'll take your two cents and keep it in mind. I do share hubs that I update with a new photo, poll, link, etc. Or if I have new information or fixed the writing, I'll share here. I'm not perfect.  I've been reading the responses I've been given on how to share here and elsewhere and taken notes.

The question is, WHY do you share those "tweaked" Hubs?  I don't understand.

12. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Hi Kristen.

You have lots of yoga and Pilates hubs, so even if you are only sharing each one every so often, you are still sharing several of them each day. To the person who complained, it may appear that you're constantly sharing the same one because they all have similar titles.

I am in the same boat as Eric Dockett. You followed me and I followed back, which I was happy to do. Now, most days, my feed consists mostly of your shared hubs. It is really not a big deal in my book; I usually just glance at my feed once a day for 4-5 seconds before clicking over to my account summary, so I never bothered to unfollow or to complain -- but more than once I have wondered if all that internal sharing was really getting you much traffic. It seems like you might get a view or two or four, but are you getting much more than that? I don't see how your traffic would jump up much at all because of a HP feed share, but of course I could be wrong. I do agree that the day-in, day-out sharing of 5 or 6 of your own hubs could easily become tiresome and annoying to your followers, causing some to unfollow you.

I think you should share much more sparingly and judiciously. For example, during the dog days of summer, you were regularly sharing your article on how to stay warm in the winter. I couldn't help but wonder how effective that was. Also, is anyone going to feel the need to reread an article because it has a new photo or a few grammar tweaks? I doubt it.

I doubt many people are very invested in their HP feeds, but plenty of people live and breathe their social media accounts. If you are promoting your HP articles on your personal social media accounts as often as you are promoting them here, expect your friends to eventually become annoyed, if they are not already.

I understand. Well, some HP members have different seasons than we do, like our summer is their winter. So I thought it might help them out for their season.  I only share a few a day, just to get a few views/clicks, especially when there's a gap in stats that haven't been updated in a while. Some of them are still collecting data...

13. Kristen Howe profile image91

Because it's been improved by adding a new image, poll, etc, when I updated it. When I fixed my rewritten computer hub this summer, I've re-shared it. I'll double-check the sharing rules at the Learning center today. I frequently share a selection of hubs here and on social media, a few times a day, especially if there's no new data that's been updated in the stats. Why ask why?

1. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

She's asking why because she's trying to see what your motivation is so we can give you advice that would better serve your motivation.

If you said it was because you had many more followers than when you'd first written the piece and had added a substantial amount of new information the input you'd get from us would be different than if you'd said you are just trying to put the piece out there again and see if it sticks to anyone this time.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

So, what do you expect your friends to do with the improved Hub? Do you expect them to remember exactly what it was like before and tell you if it's better? Is that reasonable do you think?

I'm sorry if you feel we're giving you a hard time, we are just trying to help. Yu are a sweet person and it's a great pity if you're alienating people through thoughtlessness

Share and comment on them. What else! Maybe you're right. I give!

14. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

PLEASE take Marisa's and other's advice. RARELY share your own hubs-- and sharing the same hub "only" twice a month is not "rarely". Sharing your own stuff is generally frowned upon. That's not 2 cents worth, that is the overwhelming opinion as stated in this discussion and elsewhere.

I will, David. Then what's considered to be rarely? Once a month? Every few months? But it's okay if you do frequently as stated in the share box, unless it's been improved or hasn't had  traffic updated in stats.  Geesh!

1. Au fait profile image84
        Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Currently I have 137 hubs.  If I add substantial new  material to a hub, that's new information, not tweaks or photos, at least 300 to 500 new words with new information, I may share it with an explanation in a comment about why I am sharing it myself.

I may share as many as 6 of my own hubs in the course of a year, but usually it is fewer.  When you comment on other people's hubs, many reciprocate.  That's usually a better idea than sharing your own hubs yourself on a frequent basis.

HP will stop Google from indexing your hubs that do not get enough search engine traffic.  Internal views, that's views from other hubbers, do not prevent your hubs from being idled.  You don't make as much on internal views either.

A lot of new hubbers seem to think we are all here just waiting for them to arrive so we can get busy reading their stuff.  They make little or no effort to read anyone else's.  It's not a one way street and we all have lives apart from HP.  We're not a bunch of wall flowers that only come to life when a new hubber arrives because we finally have new material to read.

Search engine traffic should be your goal.   Non-members can't access your hubs from the feed, so sharing 5 and 6 or more of your own hubs every day serves no purpose other than to be obnoxious.

Except for a couple of people who seem to be following your example, have you noticed that no one else dumps their hubs by the pound into the feed on a daily basis?

Sharing your hubs more than a dozen times a year is too often.  That's one hub a month.  Anymore, and you risk creating animosity between you and your followers. smile  Nuff said?

Understood. One of my hubs did get NFT today. :-(

15. Kristen Howe profile image91

Traffic I guess from various social media outlets. Mostly a new image, poll, etc. Sometimes I add new information, if I have any. Just recently, one of my hubs had gotten NFT today.

16. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

You keep replying to everyone with your excuses.  THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

No reason that you could possibly give is going to make anyone here say "Oh, well in that case keep doing it." There is no valid reason to incessantly spam links to your hubs and self-share the same hub over and over, so stop doing it. Nobody likes a spammer.

If the only views you get are from spamming your links, you have a bigger problem: you aren't writing articles that anyone wants to read.  Work on that problem instead of trying to convince people that it's ok for you to spam.

17. Kristen Howe profile image91

It's not an excuse nor spam. I've written other hubs on other health topics, poetry, writing, etc.  I don't do it over and over, just every once in awhile. I'm not convincing everyone about it.  I'm posting a new writing one up right now.

18. Kristen Howe profile image91

Paradigm, I'm trying.  I know the others are being helpful, but they're also being hurtful and mean. I do get extra views when I share via social media every day-1 to 5 at the most.  I did fix one hub which had NFT this morning by fixing grammar and sharing it elsewhere--it's back to being featured.

19. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

So the purpose of your sharing is to try to get more views because you are trying to avoid having your hubs "unfeatured" for lack of traffic? It won't help you with that because internal traffic and traffic from social media does not count toward the necessary traffic so far as the HubPages algorithm is concerned.

I don't see what's mean about telling you that people become annoyed by over-sharing articles. Nobody writes articles worth sharing that often.

20. Kristen Howe profile image91

Well, I did have one NFT, hub, which is now re-featured. I do have some stats for hubs,  when there's no/little traffic and there's gaps between a month or two or three, when it's still collecting data. That's why I share them or reshare them. I won't share/overshare here unless it's been edited or re-fixed, like for my computer hub this summer had gotten NFQ and back to featured again in August. I'll do it via internal first, since I do comment on other hubs. I didn't do any sharing today here.

21. Mark Ewbie profile image82

OK.  Someone stop me. I am about to lose it.

Kristen.  You have less than 10,000 views despite what sounds like a lot of sharing.  That is less than $50 income at most.

Each of those shares will have annoyed a large number of your followers - except they are not real followers mostly, because they are playing the same stupid game as you.

People think they can play some sort of social network game.  They can't.  You can't.

The only way to succeed and most people fail - is to write stuff that genuinely appeals to people.  It fulfils a need.  No one else has written it.  You did it better.

Sharing, playing the fake follower and share game, wastes your own time.

If only you realised the value of what people are trying to say to you here.  They are people who have been here a long time. They know the ropes.  And they know the game.

Try shutting up about sharing and re reading the advice and letting it sink in.

Write good stuff.  Get lucky.  No sharing.

1. ologsinquito profile image80
      ologsinquitoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kristen, don't worry about it. No harm done. Normally, we don't share our own hubs. But none of us are perfect and all of us have made some mistakes.

Thanks Ologsinquito. I'll try not to worry about it anymore. I'll correct this faux pas and move on. Your post cheered me up, while others have depressed me.

22. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 8 years ago

I don't think anyone is trying to give you a hard time, simply trying to give helpful advice.  To share on the HP feed to generate views is not the purpose of the feed or the HP share function.  The share function is there to primarily share hubs you've read from other hubbers and wish to share with your followers.  As far as I understand, if you want views and comments on your hubs from within HP, you need to spend time reading and commenting on other hubs.  Most people reciprocate if they have the time. 
    Ideally, you want your views coming from search engines and referrals.

Thanks Rebecca. I do spend time commenting on other hubs and reading them. I do a bunch a day. But I've seen others do it everyday--but I've gotten chastised about it over here. *sigh* I did post 2 new hubs so far this week.

23. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

To actually answer the question....Yes you are creative. But probably creative and annoying to your followers. They will discard you for the latter. The writing world is a cruel dark place. A place where you need to walk with garlic, holy water and blesses crosses. Good luck with your writing and i hope you make some cash....don't mind being un followed. Mind google searches!

24. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks Clive.  I'm ending this depressing forum discussion here and will no longer share here, unless it's been approved and re-edited. End of discussion. Moving on!

25. SmartAndFun profile image94

If you have to share 5-6 hubs every day here and on social media just for them to get a couple of views, then you need to instead work on changing their titles, or perhaps even change the topics you write on, so that your articles get organic search engine traffic, or organic social media traffic. By organic, I mean traffic that you don't have to beg for and cobble together. Traffic that comes because search engines recognize that readers are clicking on your titles and then spending time on your pages. Traffic that comes because some anonymous reader somewhere loves what you've written so much, or finds it so useful, funny or interesting, that they share it without you asking them to, and their friends agree and share it as well. Just like that old shampoo commercial.

What do you mean by "there's gaps between a month or two or three, when it's still collecting data?" I don't follow you on that.

You are a nice person and no one wants to be mean to you. This is why you've gone so long not knowing that people were getting annoyed at seeing your hubs flood their feed every day, day after day -- no one wanted to be the bad guy and tell you. I'm sorry you think the replies are mean, but it seems you don't pick up on what we're trying to tell you unless we write it out very plainly and sternly, in bold and all caps.

Most hubbers share only every now and then, and typically share something someone else has written because they liked it and think others here will, too. Some do share their own work every now and then. Many, like me, have never shared a single hub. You are the only hubber I've seen who constantly shares your own work over and over each and every day. Unfortunately, that is considered bad "hubber ettiquette." I'm sorry no one told you earlier but you are a nice person who is always trying to improve, and I think people appreciate that and no one wanted to be "that guy" who complains about or knocks down a nice person.

SmartandFun, in the stats bar graph, there's no recent traffic in the past month or so, though it says it's still collecting data under the view duration:
      "-still collecting data-." That's what I mean that's there's traffic gaps, even I've shared in the past to generate more traffic.   I appreciate your kind words.  I didn't share today and only shared a few yesterday. I've written in a variety of  topics in the past year, especially for health: back pain, heart disease, leafy greens, etc. I've done poetry and self-editing hubs. I did one on writing today.  I'm struggling here and still learning the ropes after a year here. :-(

2. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is absolutely correct.  Kristen IS a very nice person and no one wants to hurt her feelings.  That is why no  one has said anything sooner, as you, SmartAndFun have pointed out, and why people weren't as plain as they might have been, but in the end that is what seemed to have had to happen in order to bring understanding.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Great post, explains it very very well!

26. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks AuFait. At least I'm not one of those people who comment on the hubs with spam with their own email address, another website, that has nothing to do with the hub.  I'll try being a better hubber for now on.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kristen. We really like you smile You're a hard worker and you're a trier, for sure.

No more sharing, okay? None. Not even if you rewrite a whole hub. Not if you add any pictures. Or a poll. Do not share.

Learn how to attract search engine traffic instead by creating great titles and great hubs. Write 'How to' articles about all the things you like and are good at.

Write and publish, that's all you need to do. Comment on other people's hubs now and then but only if you are interested in the subject.

Everyone else, try to be pleasant to Kristen, please. There's no point shouting at, or berating her.

27. Mark Ewbie profile image82

OK I was too blunt in my post.  I apologise for that.

My intentions were for Kristen's good.  Sharing was clearly a waste of time and an irritation to people.

It took me a while to understand why sharing your own stuff is wrong and pointless.  How it fills up feeds with people blindly sharing everything they do and no one having any interest.

There are other games on these forums that annoy me but mostly I keep quiet.  This thread tipped me over the edge.

To repeat.  Sharing does not work.  Keep writing and more importantly learning and improving and one day you get a page that gets genuine search visits.  THEN you start to see what is really possible.

28. Kristen Howe profile image91

Bev, thanks for being a great hubber friend. I won't share here anymore or elsewhere.  I've been commenting on a variety of hubs--even today. I've been commenting everyday, new and old ones. Thanks for cheering me up. I did write and publish in the past two days. :-)

29. Kristen Howe profile image91

Angelique, thank you for your kind words. It would take me a few years to reach $50.

30. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

If I may make a suggestion, you have a large body of yoga hubs, and Google could give you some nice rankings. However you need to put some time into improving your titles and descriptions, to rank for something that people are searching for, and entice them to click with a good description of how this hub will help them.

This is not meant as an attack, but as a suggestion to improve your Google results and readership without sharing (except on Pinterest).

Why you, personally, are taking is break from yoga is not what people will search for; they might want to know: why it is important to take a break, when you should take a break, how long it should last, what the benefits of doing so would be.

For instance this phrase came up from Google Suggest: "Yoga benefits of taking a break from exercise" No one else has an article that addresses this search query exactly, but people must be searching for it.  Re-title one of your Taking a Fall Break hubs and rework it with the following in mind.

Edit: Your personal results can still be included to let people know, from your experience, how this will benefit them as well.

Only your friends will be enticed by this description, "How I'm gearing up for my fall season and one year anniversary of being a yogi." Use descriptions that tell the reader how this article answers the question they are researching.

Then update your hubs from a personally diary perspective to more of a "how to." Instead of,  "This week I did this." change it to, "This week you should do this, the following week do that." I think if you try to appeal to a larger audiences needs, you could soon be making 3 times payout on a monthly basis.

You don't need to be creative, just well informed and capable of passing on your expert knowledge  to your readers to improve their well being.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1 Excellent

31. Kristen Howe profile image91

Solares, I'll keep it in mind. I'm on break, due to health reasons and that I need to renew my gym membership this weekend-- (it expired last week).  I also have Pilates hubs too.  I'll do some reworking on them this fall. Thanks!  Duly noted.

32. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

It's really nice that you have a clever niche and a good concept. I'm sure a lot of people are interested in your content and yes you are creative. There's no need to doubt yourself on that aspect, but I agree that oversharing can get a bit distracting.

I barely share anything, which isn't great either. A steady compromise works best; keep up the good work and keep writing.

33. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks Chris.  I'll do my best.

34. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I share my hubs a lot less than I used to. There is that "pop up" that makes me reconsider sharing a hub more than once a year or so. Now, I share a hub if I have added updated information which is important to the reader, or if it is a holiday hub (which I may share a few weeks before the holiday).

A few weeks ago I read somewhere that it is important to update an evergreen hub (which most of mine are) if pertinent information has been discovered, (such as an unsolved mystery which has been solved).  Then, rather than hitting the share button, I write a comment about the update, which will go into the feed. By updating with newly discovered info my readers are kept informed properly.

There is a hub that the hubber shares almost every day and it is so annoying. The title is often changed. Seeing the hub shared so often by its author made me stop following the hub and the hubber.

Like many hubbers, if there is a hub I would like to revisit someday, I bookmark it for reference so it is easy to find when I want to read it again.  Also, if a hubber really likes a hub they read, they often share it - so, there is really no need to share our own hubs frequently.

You are creative, Kristen - that is evident by the hubs you write. Have faith that those who follow you will share the hubs they really like.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

35. SmartAndFun profile image94

Solarus has given you excellent advice. Changing your articles' titles so that they answer Google queries is going to bring you lots more traffic than reading and commenting on fellow hubbers' articles. Read and comment if you enjoy it and have the time to do so, but don't read and comment thinking it is an effective method for getting traffic.

If increased traffic is what you want, if I were you I would make researching and adding search-friendly titles a top priority on my to-do list.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1  Very good advice.

36. Kristen Howe profile image91

Thanks Phyllis and Smart and Fun, I'll keep it in mind for my pi-yo hubs.  I'm not a fake follower per se. I'll do so research and change the titles this fall. I thought internal views were the way to go to get HP traffic. I do enjoy the hubs I read and comment on, though,

37. Kristen Howe profile image91

Okay. By the way, Marisa, I hope to go back on fixing my book blog later this year and get back to you on it.

Looking forward to it.

I'll let you know.  I still have your notes from the summer.  Better late than never, right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)