Have you ever dumped a guy because he lost his job?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. aykianink profile image60
    aykianinkposted 11 years ago

I've seen this more than once and would love to hear everyone's opinion.

1. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, but it would depend.  What kind of job did he have and how many jobs has he lost?  I wouldn't be with a loser.

aykianinkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One earning low to medium wages, and the other earning six digits.  Both lost just one job over a fairly large period of time.

Let's put it another way, what if I dumped my girl in her time of need?  That's cool, right?

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000-no finance, no romance!

2. profile image53
      Rishita Jainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You do have a POVERTY MENTALITY........You love being poor & struggling.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Fair weather friends... Based on my experiences in 2012. I am very happy to say that I know for a fact that I have none of those.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What goes around comes around. If you love someone, you stick by them thru hard times.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll do that even when I just like someone.

2. aykianink profile image60

EXACTLY, right?  Sadly, I have seen otherwise.

3. aykianink profile image60
    aykianinkposted 11 years ago

Hm.  I was hoping for more feedback.  Maybe this isn't as common as I think?

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

If a girl (or spouse) dumped me for losing my job I would count my lucky stars that she was gone.  Love was obviously taking a second place to money.

Of course, if that was the 10th job loss in a year it might be a little different...

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree wilderness. She may have supported him and this was the last straw for her...or she is a gold digger..
      No love lost.

In the situation that I saw first-hand, my friend was doing well and so was his girl.  Then he lost his job.  I remember him...buying her a lot of jewelry.  Now, you'd THINK that the female in the relationship that was prepping to be a doctor and going to med school WOULDN'T be a gold digger, but I'm having a hard time arguing that right now...

In another situation, the guy was doing very well and then lost his job.  (Much more recent.)  He was trying to find a job.  Literally door-to-door asking for work.  When he was about to lose his apartment, the girl gives him the news that the relationship is over.

1. Stacie L profile image87
          Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say that both men need to find different types of women to have relationships with. maybe they are attracting the wrong ones...I wish them well.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A SMART woman would, why stick w/an UNEMPLOYED loser.  If a man DOESN'T bring anything to the table, a woman DOESN'T need him & would be FOOLISH to stay with him.  Find a man w/a JOB, Jeez.....  It is apparent that there are people who love LOSERS!   NO JOB, NO RELATIONSHIP.......People can't be this asinine!

5. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Nope, x 2.

Ah.  Thank you, Denise.  I would have been surprised if you said you HAD dumped someone because he lost a job.  Quality woman.  *tips hat*

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're sweet.  smile

6. brimancandy profile image76
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Being in this position myself, I can somewhat agree with someone who drops a partner because of lack of work. This is usually the case for those people who live together in the same space. It's usually because one can no longer support the two of you on one income. This happened to me with my partner  of 20+ years. We lost our apartment, because we could not afford to live there, and since we each had family we could fall back on, we now live apart. We tried everything to stay together, but it just wasn't going to work. Including living with my brother, which was even worse.

But, for a couple who does not share expenses, if one drops the other over a job, there is probably an alternate reason that they have for wanting to end the relationship, and there probably won't be any discussion on saving that relationship. If you are not already living together, chances are, you really did not want to commit to that relationship in the first place.

A lot of people do enter relationships for financial gain. I was accused of that, even after my partner lost his job, and I was the sole money earner for more than 8 years. I was still considered the gold digger that ruined my partners life, even though I was really committed to it. That used to drive me nuts! It took getting us through hardship to see that I truly cared, even though all my friends were telling me to drop my partner like a rock, right after he lost his job. I refused. Don't regret it for a second. That's how much I care.

I applaud you, brimancandy.  If this had been posted in the Questions section (which I will no longer do because I don't get the traffic I'm looking for), I would vote this as 'best answer.'  Regarding what I've seen, sometimes the couple IS financially dependent, and sometimes not so much.  The med student that dumped my friend?  They weren't even CLOSE to living together. 

As you said, "If you are not already living together, chances are, you really did not want to commit to that relationship in the first place."  I am still amazed those two stayed together as long as they did.

"I was still considered the gold digger that ruined my partners life, even though I was really committed to it. That used to drive me nuts!"  I'm sorry to hear that.  That sounds absolutely infuriating.

Once again.  *applause*

1. brimancandy profile image76
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I appreciate that.

This line, "...even though all my friends were telling me to drop my partner like a rock..." still bounces around in my head.  *sigh* Oh well.

7. Pinkchic18 profile image66
    Pinkchic18posted 11 years ago

I wouldn't and I have not. I've had boyfriends lose jobs and have not had the urge to leave them. Why kick someone when they're down? That's when they need support the most, I think.

See, that's how I've always looked at it.  Maybe it's less common than I think then.
      *Pinkchic gets the Non-Gold-Digger Star*

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thumbs up.

8. sarah mwai profile image60
    sarah mwaiposted 4 years ago

Not really..am dating someone not the job so even if my bf lost his job i won't dump him.

9. profile image51
    KayCummingposted 4 years ago

Same here

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)