Hubber Help: Your thoughts/experiences w/ H1N1 hysteria

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (21 posts)
  1. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Hello, all! I see a lot of new faces, reminding me of how long I've been away from my beloved HP. This place really rocks, doesn't it? School has kept me extremely busy the last few months. Which brings me to my request for you, dear Hubbers.
    I'm writing a piece about the H1N1 vaccine, or more specifically about the people getting them (or not getting them).

Have you gotten one? Why or why not? How does the media coverage regarding the issue make you feel? If you have waited in line to get a vaccination, what was that experience like? How long did you wait? What were the other people in line like? Did you end up getting the vaccination?

Answers to any or all of these questions will be gratefully received and much appreciated. Please feel free to elaborate in any way regarding your views about H1N1, no matter how you feel about it. Thanks so much to anyone who cares to contribute and I hope to catch up with my Hubbing and chat with all of my sweet, wonderful HubBuddies soon!

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Australia. The vaccine shot I got was developed in Australia. It's free to all Australians. I didn't have to wait in line, I got it when I was at the doctors for an appointment to get a prescription for something else written.

2. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I've had a lot of friends get it but I haven't.

I think it's a lot of media hype though.

I am not getting the vaccine by choice.  It's better to let your body fight things naturally to build up antibodies.  Plus, the regular flu kills over 30,000 more people a year than the swine flu or bird flu or whatever "flavor of the month" flu we're on today smile

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto

2. Stimp profile image59
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I fully agree.  I believe this "flu" has been around forever and now suddenly it has a name.  My step-daughter was diagnosed with it.  Really?  none of us in the household got it and we certainly are not dying from it.  I'll skip on the vaccine

3. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

You summed it up in the word 'hysteria'. In my country there is an overwhelming media campaign for the vaccine. Everyone that counts has already had himself or herself vaccinated in public including the PM. They are trying to shove it down people's throats. The reason is they (companies closely related to or owned by members of the government or their associates) produced a lot of h1n1 vaccine and they want to sell it, either to people or to the state to disseminate it among the people.
    I don't get the vaccine. I don't trust it. I never get the flu anyway. smile

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. There is too much media hype leading to hysteria over just another form of the flu. Also, by law, BigPharma has been indemnified if this particular vaccine harms you in any way or even if it causes death. That doesn't sound right to me - raises a huge red flag.

4. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I can't remember the last time anyone in my family had the flu.  We have never gotten flu shots, and I see no reason to start now.  We have stocked up on natural virus killers and immune strengtheners, just to be on the safe side.  Besides, i know how to make the equivalent of a vaccination if we do get it.  Personally, I am more concerned about my husband contracting hantavirus than h1n1, do to work conditions.

5. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I haven't had the shot, nor will I be. My daughter has just got over the H1N1 flu. She was unwell, no doubts. But not even half as bad as I'd envisioned (read: as per the hype).

My partner is currently fighting off a flu but he doubts it's the H1N1 strain and he's been dreadfully ill. So ... *shrugs* ... what the hell is H1N1 all about?

I wish I had the answer. If it falls into my lap, I will be sure to email you asap smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have heard what people with swine flu have gone through and I'd rather not go through it. I will get the vaccine as soon as I can.

7. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

My sister just got over the H1N1 flu and she was very miserable for just over a week.

I've been on the fence about it.  I do get the seasonal flu shot each year and my kids do, too.

My pediatrician's office just got in the H1N1 vaccine and i scheduled an appointment for my girls (3 and 4) for 11 days from now.  I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the appoinment.  I probably would not normally get the vaccine if my oldest wasn't in preschool.  So many parents send their kids to school when they are sick and viruses spread like wildfire in school, so that's my concern.

Still on the fence...

8. maribin profile image61
    maribinposted 14 years ago

I just had my H1N1 vaccine today. It's better to be protected than to have the disease (swine flu)

9. RooBee profile image81

Thanks, guys, for all your responses. They will be extremely helpful!
    Perhaps your beau has frog fever, FD. lol

10. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

Hello
    It really is difficult to sort through the hype from the reality in this and many other global issues.  This is a serious issue, but is it worse than other flu viruses?  The swine flu hype was at its highest when I was a few days away from leaving Australia for a trip to Cuba and Mexico.  I was in quite a quandry but decided to continue with the trip.  I felt quite comfortable during my time in Mexico City.  The city had reopened its cafes, restaurants and other public places after closing them in an attempt to control the spread of the virus.  Many restaurants were giving visitiors the option of having a hand sterilizer.  I took extra vitamin B and C and I stayed very healthy for the 6 weeks of my trip.  Was I lucky?  Perhaps.  Is it over-hyped? I have no doubt about it but whether to get injected or not is such a personal decision.  I doubt I will.

11. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

First of all, I was confused for a long time about whether or not to get it.  too much media hype and too much cramming down our throats for my comfort. But then my son got pneumonia.  the second time in his 18 months of life that he has had to be hospitalized and poked and prodded and it was torture for us, and for him.  For that reason, I had him vaccinated yesterday, and I was vaccinated at the same time.  I believe my son is not strong enough to fight off a virus like that, and I don't want to even try.  for my daughters, I will have them done when it is their turn in 2 weeks.

Here in quebec, the mass vaccine clinics have gone without a hitch.  you pick up a coupon on a specified day for a specified category that indicates the time you must present for your vaccine (you pick the time), and when you arrive for your appt, there is about a half hour waiting line.  It was remarkably quick and efficient.

However, there was  another reason i chose the vaccine.  i vaccinated my son against the chickenpox because i have already been through hell with that virus with my daughters and didnt want to live it again with maksim.  the vaccine is not very old, and not even necessary, but i didnt even give it a second thought.  so why not this one that could be potentially dangerous to my children and to me?

And I have also learned that it is not the potential risk of H1N1 that scares doctors, but rather that it will meet up with another flu such as bird flu and really screw us over. 

anyhow, hope this helps.

the vaccination was not painful at all.  the day after i had a lot of pain in my arm and struggled to lift it higher than my shoulders. I also had some nausea and stomach cramping, but who knows if that was the vaccine or some other crazy virus I already picked up?  I am not afraid one way or the other.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish it was being handled as well in Ontario :\

12. lostgirlscat profile image62
    lostgirlscatposted 14 years ago

Daughter and I have now had BOTH strains of flu, despite the vaccinations she was given. ( She had the live mist, I was not vaccinated at all.) Given the choice again, I would vaccinate neither of us, we were fine until her vaccination with the live strain, and I distrust the mercury laden content of the dead viruss' composition. While more people have died from the normal strain of flu, the extreme exhaustion following the h1n1 is not a barrel of fun.

13. RooBee profile image81

Once again, great Hubbers come through! I really appreciate your sharing stories, observations, etc. about the vaccine and the virus. It has been especially interesting hearing about how the whole situation is being handled in different parts of the world than where I am.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/youpimped/gallery2/gallery_1614.jpg

14. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I caught it, and it was bad, the doctor confirmed that I had the specific virus after blood tests.  I took the Tamiflu and was better in just over a week, however i did catch a chest infection from it!

It is just a strong flu, it can kill, but only if you do not look after yourself while you have it!

15. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Interesting topic.

The health care providers need to be at the top of the list to get the H1N1, but this is not happening.  In fact, my brother-in-law, who is a hospitalist M. D., just got vaccinated a few days ago.

My niece is a 1st year medical student.  They haven't offered her any H1N1 vaccine.  That might be understandable, but her roommate, age 24, is a 3rd year medical student, is around sick patients at the hospital constantly -- she still doesn't have it.  Based on what my sister says, I don't understand why certain people in that county are being put at the top of the list.  They certainly don't fit the profile of high-risk.

As for me, there are no worries.  I won't get the H1N1 shot.  But then, I never get the seasonal flu immunization either.  If I've had the flu as an adult, I don't remember it, or let's say I've had an extremely mild case of it.

16. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Just to add to my previous comment, my daughters age group were not supposed to be vaccinated until the 27 of november,but they changed it to the 13th and everything went smoothly.  so now the whole family is vaccinated and all doing well.

there was a certain case of h1n1 here that was particularly bad.  a girl of 17 was so sick she had to be carried to the bathroom to pee.  she was too weak to get out of bed for 6 days straight.  now i dont know about you, but i do not have the luxury of being that sick with 3 kids so thank god i got the shot.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)