I hate it when people who are fat are blamed for being FAT!!

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (84 posts)
  1. mer-french4c profile image57
    mer-french4cposted 14 years ago

Living most of my life in urban communities,  I have seen what is available for the average households of those communities.  I remember how my grandmother had a garden and in the precious piece of real estate she was able to grown hundreds of pounds of fresh vegetables and fruits, in season.
    I remember the collards, mustard, kale, pole beans, tomatoes that were harvested with great care.  There were many other treasures that came out of her garden:  carrots, yams, corn, squash and potatoes.  All of it was very fresh and none of it would go to waste.  We ate differently then.  Once a week, cakes, pies and breads were baked.  I still enjoy making whole made biscuits and muffins from scratch, Although do not season my greens with pork nor do I use the collected bacon drippings to fry my chicken with  nor do I use those drippings to mix and form my rolls with, I don't remember those individuals (my grandmothers) being excessively over weight.  My question is what has changed.  What was available then that is off the market now?

1. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mc Donalds, Hot dogs and fish or chicken & chips. Plus loads of ice cream ! And Smarties, Milkyways and what have you!
      lol

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

well to be fair, for some people it varies.  it's already been physically proven that some people have a slower metabolism rate than others.  thus, making them really fat as their bodies aren't able to break down food quite as fast as a normal person. 

however, for most it's usually a case of lack of confidence, so they tend to eat to make the pain go away.  which in turns causes them to feel more pain over how they look, so they eat more.  it's a vicious cycle i'm sure.

or some people are just lazy.  anyway, i apologize to anyone that this offends, but that's my opinion on the matter at least.

2. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well for one thing people eat way more prepared food and fast foods. These foods are calorie dense and not quite as nutritious as the fresh fruit and vegetables that folks ate back then.

Then there is the 40 billion dollar corn subsidy which encourages farmers to grow way more then we need and of course something has to be done with the excess, and that something is high fructose corn syrup! Yes, that cheap liquefied sugar product that is usually found in the first 3 ingredients of just about every prepared food product you buy! Calorie rich, nutrient poor. Fat, sugar, and salt the three ingredients that kill us and trick our brain into craving more of it!

Couple that with a lot less exercise, TV, computers, phoes, games all things we do sitting down often alone. Back in the day we ate breakfast went outside came home for a quick lunch went back out and didn't go home until dinner time after which we went back outside again! Always on the move.

1. brimancandy profile image79
          brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could be that this excess corn you mention could be at a lab, as they are trying to find a way to turn it into fuel. As there is talk that they are working on a car than run's on vegetable oil, and corn appears to be used in a lot of oil products already. It is actually used in a lot of products, including feed for various animals. So they could be stock piling it.

A lot of it is also disposed of, as there a lot of vegetables that basically get left behind, and become compost. And, that is because food manufacturers would rather not have 100 percent of crops going to market, because that would flood the market and lower the cost of food, thus lowering their profits. A lot of produce and vegetables get thrown away by grocery stores as it is. More would just be more loss.

3. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Using the drippings and left-over fat as shortening was actually one of the things people way back then did that helped them stay trim. The body works harder to turn fat into sugar. The higher fat diet is a slower digesting diet.

4. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

being responsable for your own actions. everything is always somebody else fault now. McDonalds MADE me do it!!!

1. Beth100 profile image70
          Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/alieninexile/FatGiraffe.jpg

lol

1. profile image0

lol

2. brimancandy profile image79
            brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is about as funny as the super Walmart built right in front of the ancient pyramids of Egypt! It's right next door to the Taco bell, Mcdonalds, and the Subway.

2. profile image0

let me add to that, Im not talking about people with medical conditions.

And I was also raised to "clear your plate" and am fully aware that many overwieght people have emotional problems as the cause. But ...you still have to fix it yourslef. whatever the motive behind eating too much, you are the one who at it. I right now, by my Dr.s scale am about 30 pounds above where I should be....so..Im not picking on anybody.

1. wychic profile image84
            wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was also raised with "always clear your plate", but I was also expected to fill my own plate and then eat whatever I took. Perhaps it would help the emotional problems (and the overweight problems, of course) if they work on taking smaller portions so that cleaning one's plate is much easier and healthier to do.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
        AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, you could visit a grocery store and buy these very same species of vegetables.  Or you could rent an allotment and grow them yourself, perhaps, if you don't have a garden.

Food is still around; it hasn't vanished.  Many people are simply too lazy too cook it, prefering ready meals which are high in fat, salt and sugar - among other nasty synthetic chemicals.

6. quildon profile image74
        quildonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You said it right there. Your grandparents grew their own food. Do you know how many calories they burnt just doing that? And the foods weren't loaded with chemicals to make them fat, the way our store-bought foods are.

7. outdoorsguy profile image60
        outdoorsguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm maybe they are blamed becuase its their fault.   only 20 percent of overwieght people can say its medical.  whats changed you ask. people eat like crap.  think that walking  to the fridge for ice cream is exercise. 

back in the day.   people actually did physical labor,  and it didnt stop when they got home.  now we have riding lawn mowers, tv remotes, cordless phones and cell phones.   we have cars that can be started wtih the push of the button, escalators, elevators, moving walkways.  luggage on wheels, dishwashers, Xboxs, PS3's  you name it. 

People play sports on Video games instead of playing it for real.  we created time savers  but still dont have time to do anything.

a friend of mine gripes about his weight and says he just doesnt have the time to work out.  but spends hours after work watching Tv and surfing the net.  all the while munchiing snack food. 

we eat chemicals instead of real food, and gorge on that.  most consider exercise to be walking to the fridge or hunting for a remote.    Kids are fat and getting fatter becuase god Forbid they get dirty or get a skinned knee.   or hurt playing a game.

when I was kid,   I rarely saw the inside of the house except when I had to.   as an Adult im pretty much the same way.

thats whats changed.  our lifestyle has gotten lazy,  TV, the internet and Games have taken the place of Living.

(note I am on the internet LOL )

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally, 10000000000% agree with this on every possible level explicit and implied.  And I say that as I too am on the net, and as I await my arrival at home to beer and as much food as I can cram into my doughy, adipose cake hole.  It's insane. It's like watching yourself in a dream as you keep running towards the cliff or the fire or the axe wielding maniac, knowing you are going to get screwed if you don't stop, but you just keep running.  A gluttonous, slothful malaise is upon us!!!  It's just so yummy and easy to do.  (Hey, aren't those deadly sins or something?)

2. bturn12 profile image60
          bturn12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well my friends think they are fat but they are not so like everyday everyone is calling them fat. Amd Im telling them they are not fat and all that junk. Then they get mad at it.

2. MikeNV profile image66
      MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Blame? What is the point in blame?

The reality is we are all personally responsible for our own bodies.  So you can blame or not blame.  In the end we all live inside ourselves.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

damn @!$%@#%@@^ skinny !@$!#@#^ers

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Gardening and even the cooking you describe require motion.  To do those things means moving around, doing stuff, even laborious stuff in the garden, frequently and daily, to produce delicious and nutritious meals.

Sitting in the drive through to get a double-decker cheeseburger, tub of fries and a bucket of carbonated sugar water takes no motion beyond the twist of the wrist that turns the ignition key and the slightest pivoting of our ankles to operate the pedals of our car.  No motion and no nutrition.

5. pddm67 profile image60
      pddm67posted 14 years ago

I don't know about the other states but here in NY, those in charge of the state/city think that we are all on the verge of obesity and are trying to enforce a soda tax. The tax will be on all non-diet sodas. This is supposed to "encourage" us to drink diet instead of regular soda and help us stay on a healthy track.

Not for nothing - soda , diet or not, isn't good for you either way. That being said - I am a 5'1, 42 year old, 107lb woman and obviously not overweight, nor have I ever been. I exercise and try to eat healthy and YES, enjoy a soda once in a while. I personally can't stand the taste of ANY diet soda (even Diet Dr. Pepper) and resent the fact that just because I like regular soda, I'm going to have to pay a tax on it. I understand their thinking but resent it none the less. Don't force your beliefs on me and don't tell me what I should eat or drink!

We are all responsible for what we put into our mouths - yes, the fast food temptation is all around us but it's up to the individual to make that choice.

6. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I do not believe any person should have attitude towards the obese. If you are slim, just be thankful your body metabolism allows it.
      I am slim and eat like a horse, my friend John is obese and eats like a chicken.
      Unless we are in possession of someone else's medical and psychological profile we have no good reason to blame anyone for being overweight.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a Hub Nugget!

And you are right, weight does not define a person. I hate when people judge a book by it's cover.

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faybe! Seriously my friend John can't even have a glass of wine with his meal anymore!
          He exercises more than I do, eats healthy food and cannot lose weight without extreme exercise to the point of throwing up.

1. altugkop profile image55
            altugkopposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then I'm sorry to say it but he is doing something seriously wrong.

Either with his exercise or his diet. Maybe he eats like a chicken but is he snacking in between?

Like you said I don't know him, so I can't judge but as a damn good personal trainer who's been on both sides of the fence AND has a slow metabolism, I can say that anybody can lose weight if their diet and exercise comes together. I dropped 5 inches off my waist and dropped around 20lbs in 8 weeks. I actually have an online journal for proof but don't want to break forum rules of course smile

It's almost physiologically impossible for your weight not to drop if you are burning more calories than you are putting in daily.

2. pddm67 profile image60
        pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could eat whatever I wanted and stay slim big_smile  At my age it does take a little work. My husband has a naturally fast metabolism and can pretty much eat anything he wants and as much as he wants.

Where as he has a fast metabolism, there are others that do have conditions or medical/psychological issues that result in them being overweight. No one should be blamed for being overweight, no matter what their reason.

The whole thing shouldn't be about weight - over or under - it should be about being healthy - both in mind and body.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit, once upon a time I wouldn't have believed this.  But just last month I watched a science program where they took a group of naturally slim people and tried to make them fat. 

The difference in weight gain between participants was dramatic, considering they were all on the same diet regime.  They found that some people were actually able to increase their heat output to compensate for increased food intake - who knew?

I used to think fat people were just lazy or greedy, until I gained a lot of weight after a knee injury and discovered just how hard it is to lose weight.  I have no problem maintaining my weight but really struggle to lose any.

4. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Earnest, I think I love you! lol

5. lossFatGetFit profile image56
        lossFatGetFitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the olden days the grandparents didnt sit by their computers in offices all day, or in front of their xbox  - they burned off the food they ate.  Also they didn't get free refill of sugar filled drinks - super sized meals - and huge food portions that would require 8 hrs of manual labour out in the fields to burn off  - basically we lead Sedentary lifestyles = overweight

7. wychic profile image84
      wychicposted 14 years ago

It seems like the average number of jobs that require physical effort has also gone down since so many have been able to be replaced with technology, while brain-intensive but very not physical jobs are on the rise so people just aren't moving as much...in addition to all of the previous points mentioned smile. It also seems like the average number of work hours per week continues to rise so people have less time and energy to devote to preparing good meals.

And...I agree, I can't stomach diet sodas either, and personally knowing what some of the side effects can be and the local medical community's view on it, I'll take the calories if a pop sounds all that good.

8. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Aside from psychological reasons for being overweight, there are other things to consider.  Antidepressants can make you gain much more weight than you would ever care to admit.  I wouldn't be surprised if other medications have the same side effect.  Fast food is not good for you - too many people go for fast food.  Too many of the groceries available today have artificial additives - what are the consequences?  I am guessing...weight gain!  People aren't as active as they used to be.  Cars.  Buses.  Sitting in an office all day.  Staring at a computer.  After a 10 hour work day (8-9 hours plus travel time) who feels like getting some exercise?

9. profile image0
      Lecieposted 14 years ago

in my house growing up i was made to eat everything on my plate. even to the point of throwing up. i was very emotionally and mentally abused. as an adult i've started walking and exercising. but the damage has already been done. i have prevented myself from gaing more weight but i'm unable to lose any. no matter what i try i stay at the same weight. i even tried starving myself for a day before stepping on the scale. i'm stuck at this horrid weight. i didn't ask to be this big and i don't think it was my choice. my parents and grandparents made me this way. some kids grow up with parents that starve them. i grew up with parents that had undiagnosed mental conditions. with out treatment they were at best crazy in the way they raised my 4 sisters and i. on several occassions i refused to eat too much and was then verbally abused to the point that i was so depressed i finished it anyway. so my point here is never ever under any circumstances force your child to eat. they may wind up like me an adult who constantly changes her diet around, exercises out the whazoo and is still fat.

1. profile image0

wow, im deeply sorry you had to endure that in  your life.  i too know how it feels to come from an abusive situation, as my father wasn't exactly father of the year when it came to raising me and my brother.  in fact, for the longest time, i always had low self esteem because he always managed to find ways to put me down and feel inferior mentally at times. often calling me too sensitive if i ever allowed myself to feel any emotions at all.  telling me that a real man hides his emotions.  however, as one good friend on here taught me, it's never good to shun out your emotions.  in fact, emotions don't make you a weak person, they make you a stronger person if anything.  sorry, i know that has nothing to do with this topic or your situation lecie. however, i was just saying that, so you won't feel alone.  smile

1. profile image0
          Lecieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're such a sweetie steve. thanks for the comment. i too am sorry for the childhood you had. my father was like that as well. at least when he was around. which thank goodness wasn't very much. i'm working at turning my life around. everyday is a struggle and sometimes people give me a sideways glance. so it's nice to know i'm not alone in such a battle. who helped you through if you don't mind me asking.

1. profile image0

beth100.  she's a person a person who taught me a lot since we met on here. sure, a few years ago, i did have some confidence, but most of it was fake.  lol.  however, she taught exercises that allowed that fake confidence to become real confidence.  i don't know if that makes any sense.  lol. i guess that's one of positives that's happened with me coming to hubpages to begin with.  smile

eta:  well i hope you'll be okay. just don't let anyone put you down.  if your friends with people that are always putting you down, then just stop hanging out with them altogether.  besides, any relationship won't work if there isn't some level of mutual respect between the two parties. and most of all if you ever feel like calling yourself something negative like fat or a loser.  just stop yourself and take a deep breath then tell yourself something else like, "your a winner.  or your smart, or something else that's positive about yourself."  once you start to do that, you'll start to believe it.  at least that's whats been working for me.  smile

1. profile image0

well steve so far i'd have to say you're my only friend. you know i have social phobias. the only people i've been around since 2003 is my family. i wouldn't call any of them a friend if my life depended on it. on here you have replied to me the most and said some very kind words. so give yourself a big hug from me to you. wink

1. profile image0

your welcome. anytime. besides, what are friends for?  if you want, your more than welcome to join me in the hubtribe.  that's one of the places i primarily hang out in on here.  lol.  we never judge each other there.  except joke  around a lot.  here's  the link  if you want to check  it out.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/32052?p … post889177

2. Beth100 profile image70

First, I agree completely with Ernest.  There are many, many factors that must be considered and making the simple statement that we are responsible for our own bodies is an easy way to answer this question.

I am sorry for what you had to endure growing up Lecie.  You've made a connection between your mental, emotional and physical health with the abuse that you received during your life.  That's a fantastic first step. 

There is a belief, and facts are coming out of the woodworks as research is done on this, that mental and emotional well being are just as important to keeping a healthy BMI (body mass index) and weight as exercise and diet. 

All three go hand in hand in order to balance the body.  It's complicated, but logical.  If you deal with your childhood trauma, you will emotionally feel better.  This results in a decrease in the need to eat, which in turn will reduce the caloric intake and affect physical health (weight, composure, BMI, etc.)  One must go to the root cause and work outwards to solve the problem. 

@ Steven -- Thank you.  You put a smile in my heart when I see you applying what you've learned.  xoxo

3. wychic profile image84
        wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, sounds like my dad...when it was just my mom around (most of the time) I was allowed to fill my own plate, I had to take at least one spoonful of each thing in the meal but could choose my own portions beyond that. I still had to finish everything on the plate, but since we were able to pick our food we quickly learned how much we could handle and not to waste. Unfortunately, when my dad was around it was a much different story...there were some foods that I absolutely could not stomach and he would say I was just being stubborn about it and make me stay at the table until I'd eaten it...even if I had to leave the table to throw up once or twice, I still had to come back and eat it. Later it was my first husband who often cooked extremely greasy and salty food, which makes me sick under the best of conditions, and then got upset if I only ate enough for two people in one sitting.

The good news for me was that it was relatively easy to turn around...that is, in four years I've nearly undone all of the damage done in the previous 20. In moderation, any and all foods can be a part of someone's diet, anyone who forces something will never be able to make it a permanent part of their lives, and not eating enough to sustain yourself will trigger famine responses and cause you to lose muscle mass instead of fat. For me what has worked well is keeping the healthiest of my favorite foods in the house at all times, allowing for occasional less-healthy treats, and walking once or twice a day and running once or twice a week at the local animal shelter -- talk about pressure to exercise more, you take one dog for a walk and have a dozen more staring out of the kennels pleading to go too.

No permanent and healthy weight loss is fast. Granted, one of the most helpful parts of my life now is that I have a husband who loves to cook and takes great care in making my food as healthy and flavorful as possible, and constantly encourages me to live healthier. It was really, really slow going at first because I was so much heavier than my body was made to be and I had so little energy, but as my body got the kind of nutrition it needed and wasn't weighed down by the stuff that made it sick, the energy started coming back and then I WANTED to get out and move and lost weight as a result. Eighty pounds in four years isn't what the diet system commercials promise, but it is gone for good now.

10. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

im fat because i eat to much plain and simple so someone blaming me for being fat wouldnt be off the mark ...

11. xainnasir profile image37
      xainnasirposted 14 years ago

hmmmmmmm

12. profile image0
      HelloEcoMDRposted 14 years ago

Nobody needs to be blamed for anything. we have so many influences and difficult things in our lives and blaming can be counterproductive.

We just need to look at what we want to accomplish or be, and then find the solutions.

I feel a lot of the weight issues have to do with:

1)TV/Computers - creating sedentary non social lifestyles. even if people dont work out, there used to be more dances, games, etc. even the games now are sedentary

2)Chemicals in food - some addictive - soem weight causing, possibilites such as aspartame, msg (linked to weight gain) and other food additives

3) new fats, trans fats

4) Ratios: Higher percentages of consumption of refined foods in ratio to vegetables and non-additive, whole foods

5)Ease and cheapness of junk foods

6) Hormones - growth hormones and other hormones added to meat animals to make them grow up big and fat and real fast are being consumed when you eat meat, and other drugs in common use such as birth control and more

13. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Lecie, my fiance was worried about her weight and went vegan, it might not work for you (I know I couldn't do it) but it worked wonders for her smile

Personally I think some people are predisposed to gaining weight over others, however teh calories have to come from somewhere.

I think one of the main problems in todays society is our lifestlye, drive or catch the tube instead of walk a couple of miles, eat way more fattening foods than used to be available in bulk, don't have as many vegetables on the plate.

It all adds up.

Some people do have physical conditions causing them to be overweight, they are far fewer than the amount of larger people that we see today though.

My brother is currently gaining way too much weight, this may have to do with his diet, take yesterday (This is what I saw him eat)

2 spag bolls (microwaved)
      a block of cheese
      2 pints of semi skimmed milk
      8 bags of crisps (Chips to those overseas)
      a cheese cakes
      half a cucumber
      2 muller fruit corners

and whatever he ate while I wasn't around.

Needless to say I am highly worried about how long he will survive on this kind of diet.

1. profile image0

i'm currently transitioning into a vegan diet. i don't want to do it to fast. i'm afraid my body will go through withdraw. so the unhealthy snacks i used to eat i've replaced with mushrooms or carrots. also i used to drink at least 2 cans of pop a day. now i drink 1 and alot of bottled water. slowly i'm making the change. even after changing some of my diet i still have not lost weight. that's just discouraging. but i'm sticking with the gradual change. this week i even started adding light salads as opposed to a lunch meat sandwich. i hope to lose the a few pounds very soon. that would really help my spirits. smile

1. profile image0
          HelloEcoMDRposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lecie, you might want to start following me, because that is going to be my very nextest hub. I already have the URL i just need to time to make it.

then I'll be doing some other hubs on health. if i cant enter the healthy hub contest due to the topic, oh well. I've got a lot of info and research to share, including research on cancer and aids

14. profile image0
      HelloEcoMDRposted 14 years ago

and don't forget, there are drugs in the water now. including many hormones linked to weight gain and which can mess with many things in a person's body, including thyroids and more.

Try no drugs, water filters, and a garden, and eat whole foods with no additives, as well as the exercise routine I adopted, which helps a lot: first, just do anything you can, in as fun a manner as you can. If you hate running, then create a scavenger hunt in your neighborhood for kids, anything to get us moving.

:-)

15. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

This question: What has changed or was different since those days? Was so interesting that I decided to ask others the same question too hmm

Firstly a friend who sells furniture: "Yep thx for asking" he said... "Our best sales come from items that folk can sit on! We used to sell more outdoor tools and equipment than the games and sofas we do today!"

Interesting that hmm

Next an a member of an airlines cabin crew: "Yep thx for asking." she said. "Over the last few years we have started getting complaints about how small our seats are; but they have always been this size! Now hardly a flight goes by without us having to turn 2 seats into 1 for someone who is clearly cheating on our excess baggage limitations!"

Ummmm Interesting point that one! hmm

Lastly a tourist guide: "Yep thx for asking" he said.... "Well eco-tourism really has exploded over the last few years and it's not just the interest that is expanding! Did you know that our most frequented tours are:
      1) The Let's Waddle Down to see the Penguins Trip.
      And 2) The Great Southern Fast Food Fix. This is a 5 Day trip that takes in every KFC, McD's and Chip bars that exist in the area."

Ummmmmm hmm

Hope this helps answer your question hmm

16. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

you hate it when people who are fat are blamed for being fat??

well, some people are fat because they eat too much or the foods they eat are full of fat and empty calories, no nutrition, so they eat more.

or they don't exercise or drink water...

many don't eat breakfast thinking this will help, but it doesn't as the body goes into 'survival mode prep' after going all night with no food and no breakfast. so it stores the fat in case you're not going to eat.

I've never been overweight, but I could be if I stopped eating healthy foods and being active.
      it takes desire and discipline. some will always be bigger because of their bone structure but losing wight is attainable.

17. joecseko profile image61
      joecsekoposted 14 years ago

Are you serious? Whose friggin fault is it? Only those with a real medical condition (not excluding psychological conditions) can blame something else!
      How about some accountability?
      Holy crap!

18. felixthecat profile image60
      felixthecatposted 14 years ago

Whatever the causes of obesity, there aren't many fat people in Ethiopia.

1. Cathi Sutton profile image66
        Cathi Suttonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's my understanding that fat people are fat because of a few reasons.  Genetics, over-eating, under-excerizing, or a combination of any or all three.  One of my all time best friends got really fat.  She ate like a pig, and if she couldn't sit and watch it, she didn't want to do it.  She could polish off a carton of ice cream in record timein front of the boob tube, then ask me, "hand me my book".... forget it!

19. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years ago

There are many myths flying around, and many have been stated in this thread.  Many people who are at an unhealthy weight are not "fat" solely because they are lazy, over-eaters, and so on.

Factors, including what Ernest stated, also include:  medications one is taking (many have side effects of weight gain, water retention), emotional trauma, physical trauma, psychological trauma, medical treatments other than meds (chemo, radiation, injections of metals), environmental conditions (chemicals used for cleaning, writing - white board markers/cleaners, chalk, chemical freshners), age (slower metabolism, injuries causing decrease in mobility, safety issues - fear of being mugged or attacked, technology - machinery doing the work for us - dishwashers, washing machines, vehicles, computers, remote control, and a many more factors are causes of unhealthy weight. 

Become informed.  It's the only way to understand, educate, help and prevent.

20. cindyvine profile image69
      cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Not having a thyroid doesn't help weight either

1. Beth100 profile image70

Good day Cindy!

Absolutely true! 

Happy Easter!

smile

21. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well are most fat people to blame someone else for their being fat?  If you don't have a glandular problem where you have no control over your weight or anything else physical like that, why can't people hold you responsible for being fat if you're the one complaining?

22. fiona_33 profile image61
      fiona_33posted 14 years ago

I am overweight (although I've lost ten pounds in two months) because I eat too much. The same applies for at least 90% of other people. Very few overweight people have a genuine medical condition for their size. It's all down to eating too much and exercising too little.

I could easily sit here and complain about fast food ads and the calories in restaurant food. But I don't need to eat it! Is it MacDonalds fault that I am essentially greedy? I think we should all take responsibilty for ourselves.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fiona, you and me both.  I agree with Peter211 - most overweight people got themselves fat without noticing the scales creeping up.  As an overweight person, I have to accept the blame for the shape I'm in, and I blame anyone else who's in the same boat. No excuses.

The trouble is, once you notice, it's very hard to lose the weight.  I find it easy to keep my weight steady by eating sensibly and walking more - but actually losing weight requires much more effort.

So if you were overweight as a small child, then the responsibility is not entirely yours. 

What I can't understand is obviously obese people who keep on getting fatter - they know they have a problem which requires lifestyle change and they're not doing it.  But I have a lot of sympathy with people who are fat and can't seem to lose weight, because I now know how hard it is.

23. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think there will always be some people who grow up just having the wrong eating habits; but I think what makes the difference between now and then (in terms of overall obesity rates) is the kind of stress we have in our lifestyles now.  Life was simpler.  People often worked harder than today, but hard work (while tiring) isn't always the same kind of stress a lot of us have today.  Without going into the "new stress", it's now known that stress causes fierce cravings for high-energy foods.  So, no matter how informed or even self-disciplined someone is, those cravings can be so bad they feel as if they can't function if they don't give in to them.

In fact, doctors working on this research recommend people sacrifice their diet (at least short term) to give in to the cravings; because eating what the body craves will actually take the body of out of a stress-response state (high blood pressure, constricted arteries, etc.) and return it to normal.

I think, besides that, recent trends to altering foods to make them "low fat" or "sugarless" have made foods that don't satisfy those cravings; so people keep eating and eating in search of the food that will end the craving (of if it isn't a fierce craving, then at least a sense of "needing something that will do it". 

Too much long-term stress of a certain kind makes people too physically exhausted (including their adrenal gland) to be able to exercise.

Gone are the days when a person (like an administrative assistant or engineering technician) may make 9.00 an hour and could buy a brand new car for 6,000 or a house for 23,000.  Today there are still people earning $9 or $10 an hour, and houses in a modest suburb can run from dumps/shacks from $300,000 to "nice enough" for half a million dollars. Throw getting each child from kindergarten to college graduation (and paying for it) in today's culture without having them go off track - and no wonder so many people are craving Big Macs or whatever they crave.

24. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Big Macs aren't necessarily bad for you, and to the extent that they may be, it's probably not the ingredients you suspect. A fatty burger isn't the culprit people think it is.

I think that some of the advice given to young people by nutritionists may be causing obesity in people who are trying to "eat right." I often have very well educated young women volunteer to work with Bow. I see how they leave the skin off their chicken and opt for bread instead. Somebody told them that eating fat would make them gain weight. They are healthy and fairly slim when I see them. But they could be sabotaging themselves by trying to do what they've been told, and opting for empty carbs instead of wholesome fat.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem with Big Macs is the zillion calories (and the other zillion calories that come with any french fries someone may eat with them).  hmm  I've known people who seem to live on greasy fats and who are "skinny".   Not great for the heart, but , as you point out, not the cause of the gaining weight that carbohydrates are.   Up until fairly recently (when, finally, someone seemed to "figure out" that carbohydrates are particularly fattening for women), I didn't get all that advice about cutting out fats and eating carbs instead!     I don't gain weight all that easily; but years ago I had a week when I ate Ramen noodles for dinner all week.  At the end of the week I'd gained two or three pounds.

25. gracenotes profile image90
      gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Many people are on anti-depressants these days.  It seems like these drugs mess with your metabolism and cause some cravings.

I can remember my doctor giving me (when all else failed) an Rx for a VERY small dose of Elavil -- not enough to be anti-depressant, but it helped my post-trauma headaches which I'd had for months after bumping my head.

Just that small dose caused me to crave an entire chocolate cake.

At the time, I was doing reference duty as a librarian, and I had a patron call and say that the anti-depressants she was on were causing her to crave sweets, and what could she do about it?  We had to be careful in that type situation, so I couldn't really offer her much, even though I secretly empathized.  I remember telling her she was welcome to use our resources for research.

I think anything that changes mood, or just natural mood swings, will cause cravings of the wrong kind, which may lead to weight gain.  My sister was at least 55 pounds overweight in her 20's, and didn't lose it and keep it off until she addressed the emotional issues.  Today, she is thinner than I am.

1. tingyi2521 profile image55
        tingyi2521posted 14 years agoin reply to this

but this kind of thing is common. I recommend you a great way to lose weight. Drink some pu erh tea from 5ktea

26. brethodge profile image40
      brethodgeposted 14 years ago

hahhaha.. who loves it?? Of course those people who are fat would never love any one commenting on them.. Though its the general tendency of the normal people to make them feel guilty of what they are.. it really suck! x-(

27. sxyshiningsmile profile image58
      sxyshiningsmileposted 14 years ago

hi, i hate these kinds of people, too. but i think health is the most important thing to weight loss. maybe fat people can drink some pu er tea to lose weight. it really does work.

28. SixPackExercises profile image61
      SixPackExercisesposted 14 years ago

Aside from a pituitary disorder or other disability, why wouldn't you be held responsible for your own actions?  You are what you are because of who you are.  To suggest otherwise would be to say that we are slaves to our surroundings.

29. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

My mom is one of the best known "old timey country cooks" still alive in this area and she still cooks lunch every day for my brother and I and whoever happens to drop in at meal time. (not to unusual as you may suspect)

With a huge garden of fresh vegetables to choose from and lots of fat included in the diet you would think we would all be huge.  But farm life burns a lot of calories and we are all average size and eat like pack mules at meal time.  So obviously exercise plays the most important role in staying a normal (not sure what normal is today) size. 

Sure, genetics plays a role but the amount of obese children you see everywhere is certainly a sign of a lack of sufficient exercise more than anything.  Overweight children were a rare sight when I was in elementary school, but not today.

30. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I eat junk myself and I know it puts a little on my stomach, aside from the genetics which I agree can make you a little bulky, no-one is born genuinely fat are they?

I am fairly slim at the moment but would like to be toned,11 stone for 5'ft 10 is normal. I know I need to stop comfort eating and look after my body..but it's hard.

31. Granny's House profile image63
      Granny's Houseposted 14 years ago

Great suject. you got people motivated. I would like to invite you to check out my hub on canning. You can either grow your own or buy fresh veggies to can. Its a a lot of work but good for you.

32. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years ago

People did a lot more walking back then also.  Not like today where everyone has a car, and public transportation is pretty accommodating.  Walking a few miles a day helps burn calories.

33. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

i recommend THE HUNGRY GENE by ellen ruppel shell

34. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 13 years ago

SUGAR.... Overprocessed Carbs, which convert direct to - SUGAR..

Read the ingredients to all foods in the supermarket, sugar is in the top few ingredients...

Sugar in the bloodstream causes the creation of insulin which converts sugar to - FAT..

We all eat too much sugar, how many soft drinks do you have in a day??? Full of sugar....

How many people are now diabetic.... due to too much sugar in their diet...

Cut out sugar and overprocessed carbohydrates and .... you don't put on lots of weight (unless you eat too much!!)

Countries where they cook from scratch, the people are not fat!!!! Countries where we eat processed foods full of sugar..FAT!!!

Very simple... Why the big mystery?????

35. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 13 years ago

My sisters used to tease me, saying Pam, Pam, the big fat ham! I remember always being a little pudgy even when I was a child. We always ran and played outside.  As a teen, I play hours of handball during the warm months and I was still overweight.  My youngest sister, never had a problem with her weight.  So go figure!

36. BobbiRant profile image59
      BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Do you think that obesity, kind of like the economic collapse, might have been orchestrated by big businesses to 'kill many of us off'?  We are running out or resources and many of the rich think They are the only ones who have a right to live and breathe and use resources.  Many poor people are fat.  Why?  Well let's face it, sugary foods are cheaper than healthier ones.  Food for thought.  (food for thought is calorie free)

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say it is the other way around - big business promotes as many people as possible, like they care if you live or die !  In fact the perfect person for them is one with a job who does nothing but consume goods and food - and they produce both.

The fat issue is simple.  Here in China almost everyone is slim to skinny except those who especially diet to be fat, a few.  If you want to find fat Chinese go sit in McDonalds  - or even more certain go sit in a KFC !

37. profile image0
      fit2dayposted 13 years ago

The issue is we live in a technology world and there's too much processed food. Instead of playing video games, kids were working on farms at one point.

Many of the food that's supposed to be healthy isn't, there are many factors for people being fat that are difficult to control. If the grocery stores had more organic produce than they have snack food, things would be different

38. Peter211 profile image54
      Peter211posted 13 years ago

I'm sorry but I believe most people who are overweight are to blame for their condition, though there are exceptions. People just over eat and don't think twice in till one day they look in the mirror and see what they've done to themselves.

39. yenajeon profile image71
      yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I think being overweight and not taking responsibility for it is part of the problem.

And I am really confused... why wouldn't we blame the people who are overweight for being overweight?... unless they were being forcibly fed bad foods.

I guess I leave the exception of children, because their parents are the ones who prepare/plan the meals!

40. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I saw a book yesterday with the title similar to this thread's subject heading. You just have to shake you head and wonder how far it will go with shifting blame to anything outside of our own responsibility.

I agree with much of what has been shared. People eat too much, sit too much and take the easy way out. Am I the only person who still rakes my lawn with a real rake?  When I see one of my overweight neighbors blowing leaves out into the street... I don't say what I would like to say. Raking leaves burns a lot of calories and is kind of a zen type experience. People are lazy.

I've never been overweight, so I don't know how hard it is to get rid of it, but it just makes sense that you skip the doughnuts and fries, sodas.. and get out and move. I love when I'm walking or driving through the neighborhood and see overweight people out walking. You have to start somewhere.

I read this yesterday in the NYT, about the hazards of sedentary lifestyles. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/1 … f=homepage

41. Karry Rozelaar profile image60
      Karry Rozelaarposted 13 years ago

Who is to blame then?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do we have to talk about "blame"?  The word is "responsibility". 

Excess weight in a small child is the parent's responsibility - they're the ones putting food on the child's plate.  It's their responsibility to get educated about how to change their buying and cooking habits to reduce the problem.

Excess weight in an adult person is the adult's responsibility.  It's his or her responsibility to get educated about how to change their eating and exercise habits, to at least stop the weight gain and hopefully lose some pounds.

Often the problem is that big people have a warped idea of what a serving of food is.

I know one woman who claims she can't lose weight even though she eats "healthy food".  Well, she does eat healthy food - but the fresh fruit salad she eats for breakfast is big enough for four normal people, and her dinner steak would be enough for me AND my husband.  She also drinks a lot of fruit juice - which may be healthy, but is also just as fattening as Coke.

42. Jaynie2000 profile image85
      Jaynie2000posted 13 years ago

First let me say that I agree with the idea that talking about "fat" people in general is impolite. That being said, I do think that people who struggle with their weight have to accept some responsibility for the excess baggage. I realize that there are people with slower metabolisms and glandular problems. I don't blame them for their expanded waistlines. But for the rest of us, our lifestyle choices dictate, to a certain extent, how much we weigh.

What has changed over the past two decades or so, is that there is an abundance of processed food available and drive thrus on nearly every corner. It is far easier (though not very cost-effective and healthy) to opt for these selections in the fast-paced society we live in. In addition, with the advent and increasing popularity of the internet and video gaming systems, people of all ages are sitting around idly far more than they used to.

I like Marissa's comment about shifting our vocabulary and thinking from using the word "blame" to using the word "responsibility." Parents do have a responsibility to raise their children in a healthy home and teach them to make good choices including choices about diet and exercise. Those life lessons last well into adulthood.

Finally, I will say that about 6 years ago, I was fat. I had no one to blame but myself. I did not exercise and I did not eat healthfully. When I started pushing 200 pounds (thankfully I never quite made it there) I knew I needed to do something to change my life. I educated myself about healthy living and then started living that way. Do I still eat ice cream and hamburgers? Occasionally, yes. But I do everything with moderation and I balance my nutritional choices with a regular exercise routine which fits nicely into my hectic life. Today I am happy to say that I dropped 35 pounds and have kept it off all that time. In addition I have realized my lifelong goals of competing in triathlons and marathons and I feel better than ever. I am 45 years old. If I can do it, anyone can. All it takes is commitment to your health.

Best of luck to everyone who struggles with this very real issue. It's not easy, but you can take control of your life.

43. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Does fat come from the air?

44. QudsiaP1 profile image61
      QudsiaP1posted 13 years ago

Though your title is a bit different from your description, I will answer both.

Earlier on, people use to be active along with eating anything and everything. There used to be whole meals eaten and minimal snacking in between.

Now we have snacks for meals and eat multiple times during the day without any exercise or physical activity. Thus comes in obesity.

Obesity has been linked to genes, therefore blaming someone for being fat is not ethical. If you can help someone, tell them and guide them, do not harass them.

45. brimancandy profile image79
      brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately we live in countries where everything that makes people feel bad about themselves is judged by how much someone can profit from it. Self help books, fad diets, gyms, weight loss programs, liposuction, and vitamin stores. The most recent thing is expensive surgeries that actually work for some people.
      But, we only know that because of what we are told, and we never hear about the bad side of what might result from it.

The one that I hate the most is The Biggest Loser television show. It gives people who have always been fat from childhood false hope. As a majority of the people who have been on the show were not always fat. Most were average weight in their teens, who just happened to gain a lot of weight over poor diets. Not only that, but people seem to think that these people lose huge amounts of weight in weeks, when in reality the show is recorded over several months. Once again, there are books and videos and products to be sold from that as well.

Go back a few decades, do you think that anyone cared how much they weighed as much as they do today? People who want to sell products will go out of their way to work on peoples emotions.
      Did you know that people are called "Foodies." these days by product marketers? A Foodie is apparently someone who is weight aware, and they are thinking up product after product to sell to them. The whole "Green" idea is also a huge profit machine.

Notice how you can't get any of these things free?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)