HubPages Marks The Spot - Official Contest Thread - Now with FAQ!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 131 discussions (314 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

AHOY ME HEARTIES!!!
    http://hubpages.com/x/promos/hmts_496.jpg
    Here's the official contest thread for HubPages Marks the Spot.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the contest here.

We are now in Week 3 of the contest- the theme for this week is Local Highlights & Attractions, so all entries should be about local recreational sights, such as parks, hikes, historical areas, museums, picnic areas, haunted houses, and any other place to unwind or gawk at big_smile

Just for reference, you'll find all you need to know on our contest page

And if you want to find out what the Daily Bonus Topic is, visit our Facebook Page or Twitter feed.

Fer those of ye brave enough, I wish ye the best o' luck!

And fer those with extra questions, here are some of the most common ones, along with answers!!

Should I mark individual locations even if they're closely grouped?

ABSOLUTELY!  Pinning markers in your map allows people to search for directions from their own starting point, for example, and makes everything seem concrete!

If I don't write an entry on the bonus topic, am I still eligible for the Daily Doubloon Drawing?

Yes.  All contest entries of a particular day, so long as they're a minium of 300 words, related to the weekly topic, tagged and categorized correctly, and original, get an entry in the Daily Doubloon Drawing.

Bonus topic entries are only special in that they get two extra entries in the Daily Doubloon Drawing, so they've got a slightly higher chance of winning.

For some reason, my #HubPagesContes hashtag on Bonus Topic Entry tweets isn't coming up in searches.  What do I do?

Include @HubPagesDotCom in your tweet as well.  This will ensure we wee the entry!  Alternately, you can submit your entry on the Facebook page.

How do I know if my Bonus Topic twitter entry was found and counted?

If your tweet shows up in this search then you'll know your entry will be counted. 

If it doesn't show up, but still has the #HubPagesContest hashtag, and shows up in this search, then rest assured that it will still be counted.

Where on the Facebook page do I submit my Bonus Topic entry? 

The URL of your Bonus Topic entry should be submitted as a comment on the Facebook wall post about that day's bonus topic.  See the image below for an example:

http://hubpages.com/u/3766653_f520.jpg

I posted by bonus topic entry on the Facebook page, but now it isn't there.  Why?

Per our general forum rules, we delete links posted on our Facebook page, unless they're particularly relevant.  All links that are contest-related should be posted as replies to Daily Bonus Topic wall posts smile

How can I be sure that my hub is within the weekly topic, or the daily bonus topic?

First, check the contest page and read the weekly topic descriptions.  If you're still not sure, send Simone a message and she'll let you know. 

How can I be sure that my hub is published within the right time period-for weekly topics, but also for Daily Bonus topics?

We're working by PT, so as long as you publish within the deadlines in PT, you'll be fine.  If you want to check the times we're working by, check the link here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=224

1. jacobkuttyta profile image45
      jacobkuttytaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wish you all very best in your hubpage contest

1. exchangerecovery profile image41
        exchangerecoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey jacobkuttyta thanks for ................

2. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I made this hub for the contest http://hubpages.com/hub/Taj-Mahal-Symbol-of-love

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i hope no one asked this question yet. i am a little confused about the word 'local'...does this mean we can only write about places where we live, or can we write about places not local to us? i have two neat-o places in mind, both far away from where i live.

thanks! smile

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Out of Town" is week 4.

1. profile image0
            cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cool. thank you smile

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know a little town in rural Ontario Canada called Hastings. Population 2,500. It's about 50 miles or 100 km. ENE; from Toronto where I live.

If you are interested in buying farm fresh, meats, ie,beef, pork, lamb,or poultry,chicken,capons, turkey,duck,goose pheasant,and eggs, or some of the best quality farm fresh fruits,cherries berries as they come in season, or vegetables in bulk quantities then it would be a great idea to get to know some of the farmers of this quaint little rural Indian Reservation town.

My wife loves thr freshness of the produce especially the corn when in season and we don't buy just a few, it's like 30 or more ears at a time,fresh,sweet, right off the stocks. My wife also enjoys going into the fields to pick her own of what ever she happens to be in the mood for, berries,cherries,tomato,squash,eggplant you name it and we can find it when it's in season potatoes is always on our list of must buys, as they can be found all year round.

If you happen to wander into the town itself, you have to visit the various shops, for such things as real maple syrup,bakery items like fresh breads pies and cakes and of course their fresh grown prize Honey. There even happens to be a couple of rainbow trout farms near by and you can actually fish your own trout for a tasty dinner.

As far as buying the meats are concerned, they are all  government standard and above and it is always best to buy in bulk like a half cow or calf, a full pig a whole lamb, because the less work the farmer has to do, the less it will cost you to buy.

My dad was born and raised in this area, and would bring me with him when he was setting out to purchase things like this for our family, so I got to know the farmers dad dealt with, and they got to know me. This is a good thing, cuz farmers will always sell cheaper to someone they know and charge full price to a stranger, and the quality is always guaranteed fresh.

Two special bonuses that draws me to this little town is that because it is part of an Indian reservation, I can pick up my cigarettes, for next to nothing, plus the gas service stations on the reserve don't charge tax, so gasoline is like 15 cents cheaper than the outside gas bars, and the folks are friendlier too.

1. profile image35
          nbbatt.composted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hope you all reach your wish and dream in this contest. Good Luck and have a good time.

2. sarovai profile image74
          sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All the best fellow hubbers.

3. saleheensblog profile image62
        saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

thnx and best of luck to all the hubber going to participate the contest.

1. profile image54
          atulguptaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Are the allowed locations restricted to this planet?

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
            Fawntiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid so.

2. Bits-n-Pieces profile image79
            Bits-n-Piecesposted 13 years ago

The TOPIC CALENDAR hasn't been set up yet. Thats how we know what the category and subcategory is like the last time?

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
              Fawntiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There aren't daily topics for this contest as there were in previous contests. Instead, there are weekly topics and you must tag your Hub with the appropriate week's tag.

There are, however, daily "bonus topics." Please read the rules on the contest page for details.

3. elayne001 profile image79
            elayne001posted 13 years ago

I submitted two hubs for the The HubMob Weekly topic Wed. I  prepared two drafts last nite, as I knew I wouldn't have time today. Since I had already put it in the right category, I just listed it on the thread instead of starting another hub. Is that okay?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
              Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to know that, too-- I totally did mine over to place it in the question thread. My unpublished hub had reached a score of 75, but my startover was back at 50. I assume it will rise.

Simone Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What matters is that the hub was...
                1. Published after 12:00pm PT on Wednesday
                2. Categorized somewhere within the Travel and Places category
                3. Given the htmswk1 tag
                If those requirements were met, it should be fine!

1. LillyGrillzit profile image77
                  LillyGrillzitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, we do not have to start by "answering this question" each time? Whew! I cannot find it everytime (old people!) :0)

Hahaa- no, that's just to participate in the HubMob part smile

4. What's News profile image63
            What's Newsposted 13 years ago

Anybody else have a problem with the Google Maps capsule?

Sometimes it comes and goes. I think when www millions are google mapping the universe it will have some issues... : 0)

5. elayne001 profile image79
            elayne001posted 13 years ago

I was having a bit of a problem last night with the google maps capsule and started it over a couple of times. I finally got it right after a few tries - it does work, but when I put it on hybrid, sometimes it shows up with map only - here is a tutorial:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Video- … -Tool-Maps

hope you can work it out

1. What's News profile image63
              What's Newsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for sharing the link, elayne001!  And What's News... is there anything in particular with which you were having trouble?

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years ago

Can I just clarify something, please? Should any Hubs created on the daily bonus topic include the relevant weekly tag? Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the rules - can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

1. Jason Menayan profile image62
              Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they should. The relevant weekly tag should always be included.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
                Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jason

I was pretty sure that would be the case but I just wanted to make sure and not take any chances.

2. rmcrayne profile image90

Yikes! I published a hub last night (not a daily topic) and forgot to include the weekly tag hmtswk1 until just now (about 3 minutes before the noon Pacific daily cycle).  Will it still be eligible for the daily drawing and weekly picks?

1. Jason Menayan profile image62
                  Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure will! Because you can add tags after a Hub is published, just do so before 11:59am and it's fine. smile

Whew!  That was a close one!  Thanks Jason!!

2. LillyGrillzit profile image77

Yeah! about the late tags...How about a late HubMob Image? I was into my 3rd edit - (usual 5 on the front), come back in a day or two, recheck. HubAddict.

Even if your hub isn't a part of the weekly HubMob, it can still be a contest entry, so the image is by no means mandatory ^_^

7. Morgan F profile image61
            Morgan Fposted 13 years ago

Avast me hearties! (okay I'm a day late but I can still talk like a pirate right?) Count me in on the booty!!!

8. MyMastiffPuppies profile image59
            MyMastiffPuppiesposted 13 years ago

Sorry I am a day and half behind but can I still join the contest. I think it will be a lot of fun and good challenge for me. I did not see anywhere to sign up, is it just the category and tags that lets them know you are participating? Thanks for any info.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
              Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can absolutely join in!  You do not need to sign up anywhere, just follow the instructions on the contest page to make sure your hubs get counted.

Also, check out the HubPages twitter account and the HubPages Facebook fan page for the daily bonus topic.  Publishing a hub on the bonus topic gives you more chances to win the daily drawing!!!

2. LillyGrillzit profile image77

There are a couple of other rules, HubMob Image too, me thinks! and what Maddie Ruud said...

Like I said above, the image is optional- but what we *do* look for in the judging process is relevant, original photos of the places described... something to keep in mind!

9. Simone Smith profile image88

We have the first day's winners!!!  YAAAY!!!!
            Congrats to these swaggering swashbucklers of local restaurants:

Patty Inglish, MS won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on the Best Family Restaurants in Bay City
            aaaaaand
            yenajeon's hub on The Most Unique Restaurants in Chicago is the Treasure of the Day!

I tip me pirate hat to ye bonnie lasses!
            There were so many good entries for our first day of the contest... everyone who entered seems to be an old salt at the location-writing game, so it's game on, bucaneers!  I be lookin' forward to what be comin' next!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
              Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What?! - A nice surprise this morning and I'm smiling a big smile! smile I had no idea my Hub could win, but I love that restaurant.  Writing what you know really is a good thing.

And congratulations to yenajeon! Fun and entertaining as well as informative.

Thanks to HubPages, HP Staff, and Contest sponsors for this fun contest! I'm having a great time reading all the other entries. It makes me want to buy an RV and travel to all these places.

Wonderful contest, HubPages Marks the Spot!

Avast! - I just be rememberin' 'twas a random drawing, but I still be excited, mates!

'Twas a brilliant hub too, matie!

Heck yeah!!

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
                  rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

congrats Patty. very nice hub!

4. LillyGrillzit profile image77

Congrats Patty! You work very hard and produce a great Hub! Write On! Arr..

2. soni2006 profile image76
                soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Patty.

Thanks! It's exiciting.

10. Jason Menayan profile image62
            Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

If you want to see a really impressive map of all the locations mentioned in the contest participants' Hubs, take a look at this amazing map that Fawntia created:

HubPages Marks the Spot - The Map!

Give it a moment to load. Only 200 can show up on the map at one time (by HubScore), and there is a delay of a couple of hours after a Hub is first published before its locations show up on the map.

One day in, and the map already has impressive coverage all around the world! smile

1. wyanjen profile image71
              wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow!
              This is very cool

11. MyMastiffPuppies profile image59
            MyMastiffPuppiesposted 13 years ago

I have a question about the locations, does it have to be one city per hub or could it be locations in the same county or local area?

It could definitely be locations in the same county or local area!  We wouldn't dare bound you to a single city smile
              Pirates are free! Unbound by law or land!  Wheee!!!!

1. Michael Jay profile image61
                Michael Jayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can we write hubs about other countries or just the city or country where we live?

12. yenajeon profile image72
            yenajeonposted 13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for reading my hub and commenting! I also didn't know I was a winner until I read the 'Congrats' comments.

I feel so honored!

It's a GREAT hub!!

13. Simone Smith profile image88

ANAAARRRRTHER day of location-hubbing comes to a close, and boy, was it ever hard for us at HPHQ to pick a Treasure of the Day from the many super-super qualified entrants.  For some of us, it was downright painful.  Thank goodness the Daily Doubloon Drawing is random! 
            Well, with no further ado, I present to you today's winners:

Purple Perl won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on the the Best Chinese Restaurants In Bangalore City
            &
            Dave Cald's hub on The Best Hoagie Shops In Philadelphia is the Treasure of the Day

Congrats to ye both' on your winnin' some loot!  And fair winds on yer Fridays!

1. Purple Perl profile image49
              Purple Perlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW ! Thanks Simone for the wonderful news. I am honored. The fun part is that my daughter just ordered home delivery from Beijing Bites , one of the Chinese restaurants I wrote about in my hub, and I sat down to check  my inbox.  And what a delightful surprise!

And how relevant! Hehee!

14. TinaAtHome profile image67
            TinaAtHomeposted 13 years ago

How do I find the entrants to the competition? When I do a search on hmtswk1 I find only 11 hubs and I'm sure there are more.

Thanks rmcrayne!

15. PhoenixV profile image64
            PhoenixVposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Campus-Corner-Nightlife

Here is my entry for the  HubPagesContest Bonus Topic: local pub crawls!

I have tried several times to tweet it using the correct hashtag and even tried replying to the twitter post. Also can't seem to post to the wall on your facebook.I will keep trying. Who were the winners yesterday?

Is there still a contest?

1. PhoenixV profile image64
              PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is where I tweeted it several times but it keeps saying "something is technically wrong"

http://twitter.com/phoenixvvvvv

Yes contest is all of Sept.  I believe this time however HP contest team are 'taking the weekends off' and posting winners on Mondays (or maybe Tues this week because of Labor Day holiday).

ok thanks , maybe they turned all the comments off too . Still cant post to the Facebook wall and Twitter doesnt seem to be working either.

I posted to HP FB noting you could not post to HP FB or twitter.  Maybe someone will check it out.

3. Simone Smith profile image88

Hi Phoenix V - I see every one of your tweets, and also see that you published your hub within the deadline and that it is correctly categorized and tagged.
              We haven't announced winners for Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday entrants because weekend entries are announced the following Monday at noon, so not to worry!!
              All be well, me hearty!  Your hub's in ship shape and the loot's yet to be distributed!

Thanks Simone smile  I just became aware of the contests friday I think so I am way behind on what to do!

Hope you all have a great Labor Day!

16. PhoenixV profile image64

Heres my Bonus Entry. I tweeted it with the hashtag and replied to Hubpages but cant see it when I do a search on that hashtag

I think it must be pilot error lol on my part. Thanks and sorry im not twitter savvy I guess lol

http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-local-nightclubs-in-OKC

17. Simone Smith profile image88

Hey everyone!
            I hope you had a great weekend.  There were some rockin' hubs published from Friday to Sunday- I hope you've had a chance to read some, and thanks to everyone who wrote them!!

As for the weekend's winners- well, here they are!

For Day 3:
            LillyGrillzit won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on  Doe's Eat Place
            &
            Gordon Hamilton's hub on great places for beer in Munich is the Treasure of the Day

For Day 4:
            joeblogs won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on  places in Liverpool
            &
            akirchner's hub on great places for beer in Bend, Oregon is the Treasure of the Day

Looks like beer was the winning theme of the weekend, hahaa!  Congrats to the winners, and props to everyone who entered!!

Wootie woo! I am honored to have won! This is really causing me to have fun and live again. (outside the cave) In doing these Hubs, I am supporting the restaurant industry, and the Breweries for sure! Thank ya' all!

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
              Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much, Simone and Hub Pages. I love these contests and to actually win a prize is of course a huge bonus!!

18. Simone Smith profile image88

They might be a little late today (hey, it was a holiday!) but better late than never, right- especially when prizes are involved!

With no further ado, I give you the winners for Day 5 of the contest:

akirchner won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on  good places to eat in Oregon (with pet friendly considerations!)
            &
            Om Paramapoonya's hub on mom and pop restaurants on Sacramento is the Treasure of the Day

Way to go, akirchner! A Treasure of the Day one day, and the Daily Doubloon Drawing the next!  And congrats, Om Paramapoonya, on writing the Treasure of the Day- the competition was FIERCE, but your streamlined, professional polish, fabulous formatting, and balanced sharing (of the good AND not-so-perfect) tipped the loot in your direction!

1. profile image0
              Om Paramapoonyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey! Thanks a lot big_smile

19. Les Trois Chenes profile image79
            Les Trois Chenesposted 13 years ago

Where has the countdown gone? Found it very helpful in the last contest.

Hahaa- sorry about that.  Since our Daily Bonus Topics are 100% optional, we removed the countdown calendar to avoid confusion. 
              We're -9 hours away from you though, so if you just factor that into the time constraints, it should work out just fine!

20. akirchner profile image93
            akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Thanks, Simone - I had no idea! I started getting tags on Monday about congratulations and finally found ya'll over here.  I am always a day late and a dollar short...although in this case, I guess I can't say that!!  That is fantastic!!  Thanks so much but am truly enjoying reading the other hubs as they are all so well done.

21. akirchner profile image93

P.S.  My winnings are going towards the purchase of my new scooter for mushing my malamutes and I'm getting so excited I feel a hub coming on! Probably after this month though!!

Whaaaa- seriously?!?!?!  COOLEST USE OF WINNINGS EVER!  Though for some inane reason, it makes me think of this:
              http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Awesome_thumb.jpg

22. ValerieH profile image61
            ValerieHposted 13 years ago

I know this is probably a stupid question but where exactly do we put the tag for the week on our contest hub? Im confused as always. Thanks anyone.

In the tags section on that first page where you start your hub.  It's highlighted at the bottom of this image:

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/create.png

The tag is still hmtswk1, but starting Wednesday at noon, it'll be week 2, so the tag should then be hmtswk2!

Hope that helps!

Ah! Also keep in mind that you can add tags after publishing.  So long as the correct weekly tag has been added before 11:59am before the deadline, it'll count!

All you'll need to do is...
                1. Make sure you're logged in
                2. Go to the hub of interest
                3. Scroll down until you see your tags on the right-hand sidebar
                4. Enter in the contest tag/keyword in the box that says "add tag" at the side
                5. Click "add tag"

Hurray!

1. Peggy W profile image95
                  Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great!  You've also answered my question with clarity.  Thanks Simone.

23. PhoenixV profile image64

I tweeted the cheap lunch spot bonus and see some results of people tweeting that hashtag but never see my results of the tweet to confirm its there. Its odd because any other hashtag post will show all those that have tweeted on that hashtag.

but here is my hub just in case-thanks

http://hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-lunch-spo … in-a-hurry

Thanks PhoenixV
              You're right- I don't quite know what's going on with those hashtags, though I did see your tweet because you added @HubPagesDOTcom.  I'm going to add a note about doing so in the contest rules, so that from now on, there will be no chance of loosing potential entries (though we've been careful to check the past ones and haven't let any qualifying entries fall through the cracks wink )
              Are you still having difficulty adding the link as a reply to the Facebook post?  Perhaps that's a safer way to go for the time being, if your tweets continue to not show the hashtag.

Yay! Thanks Simone I thought it was just me lol. I dont know what the deal is with Twitter either its been very glitchy overall. Luckily its getting tweeted out cross tweetland so at least maybe Hubpages and the contest and our hubs are still getting promoted , which is good for all of us and probably what Hubpages intended. I will keep trying on FB as well.

24. ladyjane1 profile image70
            ladyjane1posted 13 years ago

I have a question about the times to enter my hub in the contest for week 2. Am I supposed to publish after noon on Wednesday for week 2? and if I am in central time what time will that make it for me to publish in order not to be early or late? Hope that doesnt sound stupid. LOL

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
              Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ladyjane1:

Yes, for week 2, you can publish your Week 2 contest hubs any time after 12 noon PT tomorrow, which is 2pm Central Time.

Be sure to include hmtswk2 as a tag on the hub!

Hope that helps.

1. ladyjane1 profile image70
                ladyjane1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Maddie that helps a heap thank you very much.

25. Simone Smith profile image88

Blimey, it be crazy to think that week 1 of the contest is nearly over.  But time flies when one is having fun and winning stuff, right? 

Today's winners are up though-  here they are!!

cornwall_UK won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for a hub on the Nightlife in Newquay

~and~

In The Doghouse's hub on Places to Eat in Murrieta California is the Treasure of the Day!

Remember that the week 1 topic of restaurants, bars, and the like will be over in less than 24 hours now- so if there's anything more you'd like to say about places to tank up on food and grog or wind down after a long day o' pillagin', now's your chance!

1. In The Doghouse profile image68
              In The Doghouseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, thank you!

26. readytoescape profile image59
            readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Just vote mine the winner and send me a check

1. readytoescape profile image59
              readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was i supposed to post a link? Oops!

Cool Place in Central Florida you can Fly to.

http://hubpages.com/hub/ALSLanding

27. jiberish profile image80
            jiberishposted 13 years ago
          28. steffsings profile image64
            steffsingsposted 13 years ago

Hope I'm Not too late for the BONUS TOPICS: hmtswk1 Double Double!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Dinner-and … edy-School

You are certainly not!  I see you posted a link as a comment to the Facebook bonus topic post, plus you have the hub correctly tagged and categorized, so you're good!

29. dashingclaire profile image68
            dashingclaireposted 13 years ago

I am posting this everywhere. Not sure, but can't hurt - right?

Bosphorous Turkish Cuisine-Orlando,FL
            http://hubpages.com/_1jlqz2sadegzu/hub/ … Orlando-FL

Hi  dashingclaire - for this hub to become an entry, you need to add the "hmtswk1" tag to it. 

To do so...
              1. Make sure you're logged in
              2. Go to the hub of interest
              3. Scroll down until you see your tags on the right-hand sidebar
              4. Enter in the contest tag/keyword in the box that says "add tag" at the side
              5. Click "add tag"

1. dashingclaire profile image68
                dashingclaireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information - but I am not in the right place - my hub- because I don't see the "add tag"

1. dashingclaire profile image68
                  dashingclaireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never mind, as soon as I wrote this the light bulb went on -n_n Thanks

30. queen cleopatra profile image84
            queen cleopatraposted 13 years ago

Here's my humble offering for the 1st week. Hope I could still finish my 2nd before the deadline! http://bit.ly/dxszSH

31. In The Doghouse profile image68
            In The Doghouseposted 13 years ago

Thank you Simone and Hubpages for the honor of being chosen for my Hub on Restaurants in Murrieta.  There are so many great entries I don't know how you ever even choose!

32. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

do we tweet the bonus hub? we have until 3 pm eastern time?
            I need to hurry...

Yah, it's 3:00pm eastern time!  I see you made it, though you missed the #HubPagesContest hashtag.  We've been having some trouble with that in the past couple of days though, so because you included @HubPagesDOTcom, we'll count it!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was scrambling to find it.. hmm thanks!!

33. Cari Jean profile image88
            Cari Jeanposted 13 years ago

Here's my hub for this week's topic - about an Italian restaurant here in Bismarck, ND

http://hubpages.com/hub/Eat-Italian-at- … ttle-Italy

34. rebekahELLE profile image85

ahhh, help, the infamous white screen... with 40 minutes left.

35. PhoenixV profile image64

I tweeted but no tweetage appeareth sorry !

heres my bonus on local movies theaters etc thanks Simone!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Oklahoma-Movie-Theaters

I see your tweet, PhoenixV, and you did it correctly.  One way you can be sure you get our attention is to include @HubPagesDOTcom in your tweet- we can be SURE that that'll come up in a search.
              Facebook is definitely the easiest way to make sure your posting is successful.

Thank you very much Simone:)

36. rebekahELLE profile image85
          37. barryrutherford profile image75
            barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago
          38. rebekahELLE profile image85

we can't edit on this thread. ok. I was very unclear as how to tweet when I tweeted it always went to own profile...

Oh, yes- that's always the case, but it's also searchable when it contains certain keywords or hashtags, which is why we include #HubPagesContest - that way we know who enters!
              There has been some weirdness with the hashtags not coming up in searches though, so we advise that you include @HubPagesDOTcom in the entries too, so that we are 100% sure we'll get it.
              That said, Facebook is another way to submit bonus topic entries, so if you're not comfortable with Twitter, there is an alternative.
              Also, keep in mind that this is only for two bonus entries in the Daily Doubloon Drawing, so you do not have to utilize these things when participating in the contest- they're all optional XD

... though the categorization and weekly tag *are* a must!

39. Simone Smith profile image88

It is with a bit of sadness that I announce the final winners of week 1's 'Restaurants, Bars, and the Like' theme, because the hubs were so much fun to read, but I am sure that this week's theme of 'Shopping and Services' will be even better!

Today, soni2006 won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for his hub on places to get the best kebabs in Delhi, and rmcrayne's hub on Original San Antonio Burger Joints is the Treasure of the Day.  Both are great hubs- check them out!

Me hat goes off to everyone who has already participated, and godspeed to those of ye stayin' the course for the weeks to come!

1. soni2006 profile image76

Thank you so much Simone. Thanks a lot Hubpages and my hubber friends.

Congrats - I love kebabs!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88

Congrat's mcrayne! - All of these Texas Hubs you're doing are grand.

Thanks Patty.  I do love Texas!

40. Jason Menayan profile image62
            Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Just a note to vote! Yup, it's that time. smile

The week's 7 Treasures of the Day are finalists in the first week's People's Choice Award - selected by you!

Be sure to vote before 4pm Pacific on Friday on the contest page:
            http://hubpages.com/topics/travel-and-places/5482

41. ross670daw profile image60
            ross670dawposted 13 years ago

Ahoy me hearties, cough cough, well here is my contest entry for bonus topic today which is about my favorite physiotherapists in the Goulburn Valley. When I saw the topic I new straight away who I would write about, these guys have rehabilitated me and restored my independance, over 2 years of treatment. Best Physiotherapists in The Goulburn Valley

Hi ross670daw! Absolutely love the post- and props on the successful Twitter participation! 
              If you have any more questions about the map capsule, don't hesitate to ask.  We're here to help!

1. ross670daw profile image60
                ross670dawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone, thankyou very much. I finally got  the map capsule to work. It wasn't loading correctly, so i couldn't input the details, all I had to do in the end was clear my cache, it then displayed properly and worked great. Thanks for all your help.

Phew! I'm glad it all worked out!

42. PhoenixV profile image64

Tweeted this Hub on Dentists thanks Simone smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Dentists-in-Oklahoma

I got it with no problem, now that you've included @HubPagesDotCom.  Thanks, PhoenixV!

2. Simone Smith profile image88

The winners for Day 8 of HubPages Marks the Spot (and Day 1 of Week 2 - Shopping and Services) are up!

ladyjane1's wonderfully extensive, multimedia hub on The Country Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri is the Treasure of the Day and Patty Inglish, MS won the Daily Doubloon Drawing today for her hub on an amazing, resilient, and interesting book shop!

Congrats to you both, ladies! Those are some impressive hubs!

With this week just starting, y'all have plenty of chances to write about ALL of your local shops and services.  Good luck!

1. soni2006 profile image76

Congratulations Patty and ladyjane plus Simone thanks for the update.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88

Arrgghhhh, me hearties!  I be fair surprised t'day and near fell overboard o' me dainty privateering vessel -- Best t' lash meself to the mast now!

Big Thanks to HubPages skippers and crew people! I think I've been enchanted by the HubPages Marks the Spot Contest!

Congratulations to ladyjane1 also for a worthy Hub that's very fine! Kansas City is awesome! And congratulations to all the other winners!

3. Simone Smith profile image88

BAHAHA!!! IT BE FRIDAY AND WE HAVE LOTS OF WINNERS AND LOOT TO LAST YE THROUGH THE WEEKEND!!

Winners for Day 9:
              Treasure of the Day: MyMastiffPuppies for her hub on the Best Health Food Stores In Chattanooga Tennessee
              Daily Doubloon Drawing: Kyriana for Evansville Fire Department Keeps Citizens Safe

Winners for Week 1:
              Pirate's Choice Winner: akirchner for her hub on Where To Get The Best Beer In Bend Oregon
              Best TreasureHub: Om Paramapoonya for his hub on the Best Mom-and-Pop Restaurants in Sacramento, California

CONGRATS TO YE ALL!!!!  GODSPEED THIS WEEKEND WITH YER HUBBIN' AND YER PILLAGIN'!!

1. MyMastiffPuppies profile image59
                MyMastiffPuppiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I just got home and checked my account,(not to see if I won) but to finish a hub I started earlier. I am so grateful for your kind words. I never expected to win, I just wanted to participate in something that felt like truly being part of the HubPages community and it has been such fun!

I feel like I have an advantage because not only have we lived in several places, we also live within an hour to three major cities and within 2 hrs of the Atlanta metro area. So we go to all of them often (because we live in the sticks).

Thanks so much to all! I guess I better get back to work, I see there are so many other great hubs out there!

Congrats to the 1st weeks winners! akirchner and Om Paramapoonya. great work! and my partner in crime Kyriana...good job!

4. akirchner profile image93

I'm so excited I could just do a happy dance all over the place but I need to get cracking on my hub!

Thank ya'll SOOOOO much - I'm tickled pink and a rainbow of colors - I have to christen my new sled Hubpages!

Congrats MyMastiffPuppies on your win - you too Kyriana! And Om - SUPER hub on mom and pop restaurants.  Ya'll are awesome...you, too Simone!!!

Congratulations akircher and Mymastiffpuppies, well done guys.

5. profile image0
              Om Paramapoonyaposted 13 years ago

You have no idea how happy you just made me! Thank you so much, Simone and HP. And congrats to all the winners. Akirchner, MyMastiffPuppies and Kyriana, I wish we all could do a victory dance together! Kekekeeeeeeeeee (my mischievous giggle)big_smile

Well done Om paramapoonya. Enjoy the dance.

6. Purple Perl profile image49
              Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners!
              Some really exciting entries and truly inspiring winners! This contest opens up a new vista of places, which we get to see and experience through the hubber's eyes.
              O, BTW, can ye Contest Winners churn out more Prize winning hubs while ye dance?

1. REIMillions profile image60
                REIMillionsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations to all you who won!

7. soni2006 profile image76
              soni2006posted 13 years ago

My heartiest congratulations to all of you. I am loving this contest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
            Necessary
            HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
            LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
            Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
            AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
            HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
            HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
            Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
            CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
            Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
            Features
            Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
            Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
            Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
            Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
            Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
            VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
            PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
            Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
            MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
            Marketing
            Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
            Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
            Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
            Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
            Statistics
            Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
            ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
            Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
            ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)