How many accounts do you have?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (61 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Just wondering how many accounts people have (in particular some of the top hubbers.)

I'm not asking for the account names, just wondering how many people have.

Do you write on them all? Or are some just for occasional or 'when I feel inspired' writing?

(I have five other accounts but only use four. Between them I have about 50 hubs I think.)

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have 2.  The reason I have a second one is so I can write about the things my family would have multiple heart attacks over, and the things I feel a bit embarrassed people that think they know me reading.  They don't know the name of my other account & it has no photos of me.
      It's because family etc are not very open-minded - it's easier then for me to write without censoring

2. janni321 profile image58
    janni321posted 13 years ago

I have only one at this time but thinking to make multiple ones

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

This is the only account I have.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I only maintain the one account.  To date I haven't found a reason for multiple names.

5. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I suggested this topic and I am all of the responders.

The pills no longer work.

This world is mine I tell you all mine!

6. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

I have three at the moment. This one is my longest running, and the other two I opened within the last year so that I could keep my marketing hubs separate from my main account. At the moment I have more hubs on those accounts than on my main one.

I'm working on getting 100 Amazon hubs up by the end of the year, but am lagging a bit at only 69. The other I opened to play around with eBay and Adsense and only have 2 articles on that user name (although I may open another one for Adsense articles to keep them all apart - I need to learn how to write for both eBay and Adsense, since I'm not pathetic at both of them at the moment).

7. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

i have enough trouble keeping one going- buy i do know that some people have more than one- i agree with widerness, why do you need more than one?
    lets make it against TOS to have more than one or that both your profile names are shown.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well now, that's just silly. What difference does it make to you or anybody else how many accounts that people have?

1. profile image0
        BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because some people start multiple accounts so that they can do unscrupulous things like hacking into other peoples hubs and stealing their efforts. I won't say any names but just tonight I found something odd going on with my best hub on search engine rankings. It mysteriously was not even indexed on many search engines,but was first page on Google and AOL.

So I went to searching and found listings for a different hub with the name of my hub and my moniker in the text below the title. Clicking on this link I found that on that hub in the related hubs section was my hub at the top of that list. Somehow this person figured out a hack to replace peoples URL with his on the search engines as proven by the text section including info for my hub yet the URL leading to his.

The problem and scum who did it have been reported and I await a solution,but regardless it may have virtually ruined what was my best campaign. Not to mention no telling what other ways he has hacked into me,

I know some people use multiple accounts honestly,but until it is made illegal many honest people will end up violated as I have been!

1. alternate poet profile image68
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did the Market Samurai thingy and one of the last things they talked about was how one should not (tongue in cheek) copy and re-write' other peoples stuff and make it your own wink-wink. 
          With this was the suggestion that because it is possible to find the good backlinks your own material could be inserted into that link.  That is how I read it at the time  but I may not be quite right as it was the last hurried thing I looked at before my free trip ran out.

1. profile image0

My hub came out before the hub that hack/merged into mine on the search engine listing did.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, there are several really good reasons to have more than one account here. 

First of all, due to the lack of any real indexing it gets quite hard to rummage through someone's hubs if they've got more than - say - 75 of them.  Recently I decided to concentrate on writing sales hubs for the time being, but I didn't want my earlier hubs being drowned out by "buy x online" type hubs, so I created a second account to put any new sales hubs that I write.   

Another benefit of having more than one account is that Google Analytics separates your different accounts in its reporting, allowing you to get a better handle on how the different accounts are performing. 

A third reason (and this hasn't happened to me yet LOL but there are some encouraging signs of "green shoots"), is that if my sales hubs become really successful and I decide to announce the fact here, then I'm less likely to become a victim of copycatting (is that a word?)  That's why I'd be very much against both my profile names being visible to allcomers.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A very good point, Empress, and I am beginning to find that mixing my sales hubs with other types is making it difficult to navigate around them.  It also, I think, affects the feeling of "community" here - who wants to read a bunch of the "buy online" hubs designed solely to earn money with and not to produce an enjoyable read?

It is possible that I may open a second account just for sales hubs in the future.

2. profile image0
        Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been thinking of doing the same thing, having one for each topic, but that would be so much work, and then I would pretty much lose my name on the subsequent ones, wouldn't I?

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brian, as Felicity says, there are lots of good reasons for having more than one account.

Nelle Hoxie has other accounts because she made the mistake of being open about her success - and the result was that some Hubbers shamelessly copycatted her existing Hubs.  So she keeps her other accounts a secret!

There are other Hubbers who write for themselves and for clients, and they need to keep their client accounts separate.

I can also see Felicity's point about using separate accounts to make it easier to manage your Hubs.  I only have one account and it's already unwieldy to navigate with only 155 Hubs.

8. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

EmpressFelicity, I agree 100%.

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

EmpressFelicity, thanks for explaining that, sounds quiet sensible when you have so many hubs and to be able to monitor  them!
      I learn new things all the time thanks to people like you!

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I have one account. time is one reason.
    plus I like having a diverse portfolio under one account.

10. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Just one HP account.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So if you have multiple Hubs, are u using the same affiliate code for each or do you have to apply for each?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same affiliate code for all accounts.

11. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Empress you have expressed very good reasons to have more than one account, some I hadn't thought about, ie i didn't know google analytics shown them as seperate accounts which would be very helpful.

12. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

A few smile

13. Ben Evans profile image65
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

I have just one account and I do see some reasons maybe to have multiple accounts.

I know for a fact that some people have these accounts for the sake of discussions.  If anyone has been on any yahoo boards like stock boards, they will see there are people who will actually talk to them selves to say some obscure stock is going to go through the roof.  On the same token, people will do that in the forums.

When I was on a writing site called Thisisby.us (which is now shut down), there were people who would have multiple accounts to boost their earnings as well as their popularity.  Thisisby.us had a very unique voting system which I wont go into now but multiple accounts could enable a person to increase their vote, earnings, and popularity.

I can see the reason others would have multiple accounts but I do also see how people can abuse them and abuse other people.   That is why I believe some people see them as unfair or don't like them.

I wont hold any judgement on anyone and I assume most people use them responsibly.

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's against the ToS to use two of your accounts in one thread, and discouraged to post with more than one.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#multipleaccounts

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, they still do it..

2. Ben Evans profile image65
        Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

TOS or not your point is irrelevant but thank you for your reply anyway. 

People do use multiple accounts for varies reasons as previously mentioned and they are against policies of all boards.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying so let me repeat it.

I am not saying that it is bad to have multiple accounts.  I am just saying that some people do abuse them.

1. profile image0

When I read your previous post, I was just about to quote the TOS as well. I find them highly relevant to your point. The reason is that there are rules in place to discourage some of the negative behavior that you mentioned. Those who break the rules run the risk of having all of their accounts closed, and most people presumably respect the rules. All of which should give us less of a motive to object to people having multiple accounts.

Thank you WE, absolutely agree.

14. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 13 years ago

I considered having more accounts sometime ago, but felt it might end up a chore, trying to keep up with two or more accounts.

But i am seeing it differently, now that Empress has shed a new light on its advantages.

I only have one account at the moment.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

consider the traffic also. it takes time and work to bring in quality traffic and having a few different accounts on different subjects may not always bring in as much traffic as you would with one account. at least with one account, if the reader likes your writing, he may click on another topic.

I guess if this is your full time work, it may be different as you have more time to work with marketing your different accounts.

15. idreesfarooq profile image60
    idreesfarooqposted 13 years ago

I only have one account at present with 17 hubs. I am also thinking to make more accounts to keep my learning hubs separate. Its good to have different accounts for different cateogories of hubs.

16. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

I have 3 in total. Other than my Main Account Anamika S with 364 Hubs, my other 2 accounts combined have 125 Hubs.

17. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

One !  life is complicated enough tongue

18. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I have 2.

19. profile image0
    selrachposted 13 years ago

I only have one,but I only use hubpages as a hobby and can understand the need for more if you are using it for earnings.

20. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

One.

And that's all I'll ever have.  I like seeing everything in one place.  I don't care about being known for a particular subject.

21. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

I presently have only one account, but am considering opening another in order to write on subjects other than those related to beauty.

22. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

You guys are way more creative than I am.  I never would have figured out that you can benefit from multiple accounts.  I'm stuck with just the one account.  Starting another one would feel like starting over.  And that would just be like a big dark hole of vasty nothingness.

A fun thing to do though is....

Start a new account, get down and dirty and write maybe ten hubs.

Forget about it for a week or two as you hangout on your main account. Come back and get a nice surprise from the visits and traffic. big_smile

23. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

I have more than one. And they're getting more traffic than my primary account.

I'm aiming for that too! Although might take me a bit...

24. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

695 and 695 followers

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

right answer 10 on 10. lol

2. WryLilt profile image88

Hahahahaha

25. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

it may be a good idea to set up another account, especially,as has been stated, one can grow unwieldy. Sometimes, I wait too long to churn out a new hub because I like certain ones and will miss seeing them up at the top of the profile as latest hubs. Stupid! Hey! If I set up another account, could I follow myself? Could I vote my other self up!
    I could get in fights with myself in the comments sections -  it would  be like Fight Club!

26. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

BenjaminB, how do you know it was a multiple account holder who did this to you? What basis do you have to even suspect that?

Besides, prohibiting multiple accounts wouldn't even begin to solve your problem. People can easily use multiple IP addresses, and there is no way for HubPages to identify them as belonging to the same person.

1. profile image0

Well you are right in saying I have no proof it is a multi account holder WE, but to have a crap ton of hubs with no followers,a short time having had an account and no picture the likelihood for it being so is high I would think. I'm just really ticked off right now saw this topic and had to vent it somewhere!

1. profile image0

If your suspicion proves correct, HP will hopefully be able to nail all of the accounts on the IP address. But the odds are pretty high that they will have posted from different IP addresses, as they are in fact criminals.

1. profile image0

I would hope that he or she does get nailed hard if that is so,but I fear the damage done is irreversible. Have you ever heard of anything similar? Is there any way the true URL for my hub will ever be recognized by the search engines this affected? If not I at least have the Google and AOL still going strong for me,but all the other growth down the drain.

1. profile image0

Yes, I have heard something very similar. Recently, there were threads about hubbers having been hit by someone who duplicated their hubs, then changed a single character in the URL or something like that. It was on a large scale. If I remember correctly, HP staff came and reported back that it had been shut down.

Once the offending hubs have been removed, the search engine listings should remove those entries as well; may take awhile.

1. profile image0

Well his crap is popping up on google now as well, yet my original URL remains at least. Just poof and there he is on page 3. It would seem as poet pointed out he has hacked into some of my backlinks as well. Well might be time to scrub this account and everything else I've done on the internet and start fresh. Oh if only cowards of this nature could magically be sent through a worm hole and appear in front of you to get the choking they deserve!

My knowledge is skimpy at best but as WE ssays - if you get his stuff removed then the whole issue goes with it - no ?  If so dumping everything is an over-reaction, and it can easily happen again I would think.

1. profile image0

Yes I am again just a powder keg ready to blow,lol. I can't see wasting all the effort  I've put into this account. I do however have a tendency to fly off the handle.*Reaches for a sedative* LOL.

That teeny weeny bottle is the sedative!! big_smile 

Thing is - if you get it fixed you might like to tell us how etc ?

2. profile image0

Actually I caught that going on and had reported it having seen multiple duplicates popping up in the new hub section in a very short span of time, I believe 3-4 days ago.

27. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Great question - love the answers.

I have three - one main one - one strictly for religious replies and Hubs and one strictly for a client.

Thinking about a fourth - but no time - must get these three up and running. 

I am getting better at the traffic thing or Google finally found or something - was spinning my wheels for what seemed forever.

Website Examiner is right - the Google Alerts is a must - and it is interesting to see what the Internet picks up and when it picks it up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)