Profile Images...Avatars

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (37 posts)
  1. blogdigz profile image58
    blogdigzposted 15 years ago

I'm curious to know from fellow hubbers. What do you think of your and others avatars? smile

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I quite like mine! It represents a lot about me past and present!

A hubber  Crashcromwell, recently did a Sexy-Test hub,to see if sexy galleries would attract more visitors, than his normal style of hubs, and i thought i would do another test and see if my visitors-hits are improved if i changed my profile pic to a really Sexy picture!.

Hmmm, what do you think!? anyone?

PS..im liking your profile pic:) who ever it really is j-kwink

2. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

LOL

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I am never very impressed by a photo of a pretty girl taken from the internet lol

I make all sorts of assumptions based on this smile

blogdigzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's right and I hope your avatar is the real, centum Mark!!! smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is me in my avatar.

And I have just flagged one of your hubs as adult.

Are you interested in the assumptions I make? lol

big_smile

blogdigzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark, for your great effort. I admire you for that if the moderators/admin feel the same about the hubs.

Well, my question is not about my profile image. I'm just asking what is the role of profile images in HP, generally.

My pleasure smile As the hub is gone now I imagine they agreed with me.

I prefer to use an image of myself so that people know who I am. I think it lends credence to the idea that I am a professional writer and not afraid to be seen associated with what I write.

I personally find images of pretty young girls being used as avatars to be somewhat offensive and am generally not interested in what that person does or writes. I cannot imagine the photographer or the prostitute in your avatar image has given you permission to use it so....

But that is just me smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
              Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I happen to agree, and I usually only use an avatar of yours truly...however, I have recently come across a pretty young girl worthy of her own avatar, but she'll have to settle for mine for the time being...

I hope you're not offended, Mark. big_smile

There are of course, some exceptions to every rule. smile

And Relache - that is your best one yet smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
                  Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years agoin reply to this

She is quite exceptional, yes!!!

I totally appreciate it when people use actual photos of themselves, if for no other reason that you can put an actual face to a name.  I agree with everyone who said it gives credibility to the person.

2. kerryg profile image85
              kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this in principle, but am annoyingly unphotogenic and apparently vain enough to care. smile Hence I was Eowyn and now am a bunch of plants, after a brief and unsuccessful attempt to feel comfortable with an avatar of myself.

There are other reasons, but they are complicated and probably boring to everyone but myself.

1. Misha profile image62
                Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I did like your real face... bring it back, please... smile

2. Mark Bennett profile image60
      Mark Bennettposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean to say you aren't impressed by how far down her blouse you can see in that shot? Not even secretly, begrudgingly, just a little?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Profile pictures can help to give you credibility as a writer.

1. webismine profile image57
      webismineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting... smile

2. profile image0
      Ananta65posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why is that? For me, credibility is determined only by the contents of the hub.

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

I think it is important that the avatar be a photograph of a woodcarving bought in Johannesburg in the second half of the 20th Century. If you can't meet this basic requirement, I'm not really sure what you're doing here.

But for a mere $5 sent to the Paraglider Society, I shall be happy to furnish you with a qualifying avatar. Please state preference for jpg, gif, png, for male/female, and whether you desire full face, three-quarter view or profile.

Seriously though - I'm happy with more or less any avatar except a photo of a real person who isn't you. That seems a bit dubious to me.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I find that sometimes people don't think that my avatars are actual pictures of myself, although they really are.  Which I find amusing, especially since the one thing that doesn't change from portrait to portrait are my tattoos. 

One thing I do miss from when I lived in San Francisco was that I have several friends there are who professional photographers and even a casual snap from one of them during a street fair (ie my current avatar) would often be an incredible photo.

7. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I just looked up the person who started this thread and found this..

Look at these Big Tits At School  - it's a Hub.   

I love these subjects but they seem dirtier and wrong when i see them on hubs. 
    'Guess Maddie has me trained real good like.

8. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

What about pictures of guys being really close to very young, attractive girls in their avatar? Is this another exception?

1. funride profile image68
      funrideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think those guys should be banned from HP tongue. Poor girl... big_smile

9. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I happen to think everyone should use an avatar that is a representation of themselves, and am a little tired of the men using sexy women as their avatars.

Relache, your current avatar is amazing.  I love your hair!

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My avatar represents me very well,

I always have either one hand on my cat and the other on my mouse or both hands on both!.

I also have grown up from a very early age being involved in the cat n mouse games of life....Long story, so I think mine represents me very well, and i won't be changing it for the sexiest female in the world!

I also think that no matter what pic you use, even if its a bird, cat or mouse or just a pic of anything, after time i think  will become a recognisable logo...

PS., Im loving Ralaches soober cool new look too;)

10. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

Sorry, funride, I'll change my profile picture just for you wink

(changed profile picture to: http://www.blogatiser.com/avatars/user_uploaded/funride_60.jpg)

1. funride profile image68
      funrideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

You never look so awesome tongue. You´ll only look better if you change to a young girl picture big_smile.

11. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Some hubbers' (97 to 100 of author score) profile images have celebs, atleast I can recognise few Indian actresses there being I'm an Indian!!!

May be the visitors coming outside of hubpages get impressed with those eye-catching ones. I think hubbers don't care about it. It's Just my opinion smile

12. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

My profile pic is just plain old me with my wonderful wife Alison, maybe one day it will feature on a postage stamp lol, but would be beter used if placed above the fireplace, it would keep the kids well away from the fire.....jimmy

13. kpfingaz profile image66
    kpfingazposted 15 years ago

My profile pic is about where I'm from which means something to me because there aren't many if anyone from here who hubs.

A plain ol' avatar of myself would just look like everyone elses (another face.)

I'm also against persons using avatar pics of people who are not themselves and especially against MEN who use hot women as their avatar pics.

14. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Well I don't put my face and name together on the net simply because I've been stalked before and so I don't really want people knowing what 'Rachelle Fox' looks like.
    Only my friends see my name and face together.

I do use my own photography however. My avatar is one of my fave images that I took while in India.

So you'll never see my face but you'll always see my work! smile

And I love your avatar Compu-smart. wink

15. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

To everyone who's complimented my latest avatar... Thanks!

The photo is by Charles Gatewood, a career photographer whose work is very underground-subculture-oriented.  As his work is not the sort of thing allowed on HubPages, I'll let you search Google to find him.  He's NOT related to the Charles Gatewood associated with the Civil War just in case you wonder about the search results.

The hair is another one of my glorious wigs.  Now that I just got my natural hair cut shorter again, I'm thinking it may be time to dig out some of the faux hair and have some fun...  If I ever meet Gamergirl in person, I'm definitely going to need to have some cool hair and a camera on hand!

1. gamergirl profile image83
      gamergirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd actually love to sit with you and talk, I can imagine we might actually have half a conversation's worth of subject material in common. tongue  And, what's more, I have a camera!

16. GK16 profile image60
    GK16posted 15 years ago

I have my representative in my avatar. He is a kind volunteer and one my best friends serving me diligently. Actually he is fast a sleep most of the time. But his photo is doing all the hard work. So I thought of promoting him to uplift the little fellow wink

17. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

Why don't you write a hub on the subject together? wink

18. dishyum profile image57
    dishyumposted 15 years ago

Profile Images - Why all that fuss? Keep happily hubbing smile

19. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

No fuss, just some opinions.

This -is- a conversational platform, these forums are for socializing and the like. smile  I mean, I've published two hubs since yesterday, so there's obviously happy hubbing going on at the same time. wink

1. dishyum profile image57
      dishyumposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry mam, I didn't mean to offend anyone. But, on the other forum something was seriously discussed about profile images like they represent the person or not. I thought it's nothing to look deep. Anyway, it's just my opinion smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)